Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN
I hope this is the right place to ask.

I'd like to upgrade our active directory domain controllers from windows 2000 to windows 2008. I'm wondering if it's possible to add a 2008 domain controller to a 2000 AD schema after I run adprep? Then I could just give the new 2008 DC all the roles, demote the other DCs, format and install 2008 on the old DCs, then promote them back.

We currently have four DCs and I'm about to demote two of them. The remaining two DCs would be virtualized, so I can test run adprep. We were thinking of pairing our domain controllers down to only two machines, one physical and one virtual, but maybe we want more. We have about 300 users. Am I going about this the right way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm not an expert on AD, but that should work. At some point you should raise the domain to 2008 functional level.

Thanks, once we get all our servers to 2008, that's the plan.

amishpurple posted:

Yep just run adprep on the 2000 schema master and you'll be able to install a new 2008 server as a DC. May as well go 2008 R2 (run adprep32 instead if you do) unless you have a specific reason to just stay on 2008, though. Transfer all the roles to the new 2008 server then unjoin the other DC's from the domain and you're good to go to raise the functional and domain levels.

If you go the one virtual, one physical route make sure the physical DC has the PDC Emulator role or be sure to read your vendors documentation on virtualizing domain controllers so you can avoid clock drift issues on the VM.

Two DC's for 300 users is just fine.

I should have been specific, but we're planning on running 2008 R2 datacenter edition. Thanks for the tips on adprep32 and the VM stuff. I don't think I would have read about it in the material that I'm using.

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN

vladimir posted:

windows 2000 issues

Thanks. I think all that stuff about 2000 servers were related to Exchange or doing in place upgrades. I'm planning on rebuilding the servers from scratch and we don't use Exchange, so the upgrade should be relatively straight forward.

Although I have been reading more about having domain controllers on VMs and that's kind of a pain in the rear end, but I think I've got all the nuances down.

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN
This might be out of the realm of this thread, but how well does SCCM work in a mixed OS environment, if at all?

The place I'm at has about 50% Windows and 50% OSX. We currently use Absolute Manage for license, inventory, and remote management.