Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me regarding SCCM and licensing.

We're looking at purchasing SCCM, primarily to use Forefront Endpoint Protection when it is released.

We would install SCCM on a single server, and be pushing out the antivirus to about 300 client machines, and 10 servers.

Does this mean that we would need 1 SCCM license, 10 server management licenses, and 300 client management licenses? That's going to be ridiculously expense in addition to the FEP costs, especially since I can't see much more value in SCCM that we aren't already getting from WSUS and WDS.

We may consider the System Center Virtual Machine Manager for a new VM environment, and SCOM would be nice to have too, so would we be better off considering the System Center Server Management Suite? If so, how does the licensing differ on this product?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Has anyone done a domain migration before? We're acquiring another company and have been informed the timeline to fully integrate them with our company is going to be very aggressive. I basically have about 6 weeks to plan and execute a migration for 450 users into our existing company of 3300 users. I have and can get appropriate funding for tools and consultants.

I know ADMT is free, but I'm not sure if our already busy team has time to get to know the product well enough to pull this off.

My company was just acquired. We were 500 staff joining an international company of 2500. We were very aggressive as well, with the actual acquisition occurring on September 3rd and our migration kick-off happening October 18th.

I would say that if you have dedicated IT staff who can make time available, the actual user/workstation migration isn't too complicated. First actionable step would be creating a domain trust. Then you'll want to use ADMT for sure, and so begin reading the admin guide for it right away. I had successful tests up and running with about 4 hours of reading and prep.

With ADMT you can migrate users and groups to the new domain (with SID History being populated so that permissions don't need to change), do security translation on the workstations (so that the new domain users can sign into the exact same Windows profiles) and then a computer account migration which will auto-join the workstation to the new domain and reboot it.

Make sure you test extensively so that you know what may break for your new domain accounts accessing existing resources.

We had a lot of additional steps since we were replacing 80 workstations, had to update our WDS images with a lot of custom software, and were migrating all our users to Office 365 at the same time.

We still haven't (and probably won't) migrate server-side resources because with the domain trust there isn't much reason to. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Tantalus posted:

We've just moved to ServiceDesk. It looks like it might cover your needs.

-Self-Service Portal
-Knowledge Base
-Multi-site Support
-SLA Management
-Help Desk Reports
-IT Project Management (Add-On)

http://www.manageengine.com/products/service-desk/

We've been using ServiceDesk since April and really love it.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

lol internet. posted:

Hmmm at my old place.. perhaps it was the guy who set it up did a poo poo job but all I can say is the support in my experience is horrible. It's literally straight to India.

I've had to contact support twice, and while it was a little slow in response, my issues did get resolved.

They dogfood their own product for their support cases, and development is pretty rapid with a new build every 3 weeks which ois pretty rare for enterprise software.

The Standard version of ServiceDesk was just made free so its at least worth checking out.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Does anyone have good learning materials for Microsoft DPM in it's latest version? We're evaluating it since the licensing is already purchased by our parent company, and need to quickly get up to speed on it's inner-workings.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

The TechEd 2014 recordings are up now: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2014#fbid=

I know what I'll be watching once the NHL playoffs are over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

GreenNight posted:

My one thing that still bugs me is I get requests from a manager to give someone access to a folder 5 levels deep. NO OTHER FOLDER, or access above. In Novell this was easy. Give access to the deep as gently caress folder and it will take care of the rest. In Windows you have to edit permissions on every single parent folder too. PITA.

I'm reasonably confident that in Windows, if you set the NTFS permission on that 5th level folder only, the user will be able to access it if they have the link to that full path, but they wouldn't be able to traverse from a parent folder. This doesn't require any modifications of the ACL on any of the parents.