Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Those of you who didn't like SCCM have you looked at System Center Essentials? We're rolling out SCE2010 to 225 clients and 45 servers shortly it doesn't support Zero Touch Installations like SCCM but it rolls most of SCCM, SCOM and SCVMM into one interface.

The only caveat I have is that we have an existing SCVMM 2008 R2 infrastructure and the SCVMM and SCE administration consoles can't exist on the same machine [or i'm retarded and can't seem to make them work]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

quackquackquack posted:

I found SCE was missing a lot of the software deployment options I would want when I looked (SCE2007, iirc).

I could see that, it's pretty basic.

Deploy .msi or .exe, add switches, record success/fail/notneeded, uninstall, record same.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

lol internet. posted:

How is this different from SCCM lol?

Doesn't do version tracking? I was under the impression you could version track in full blown SCCM, might be wrong though. Doesn't allow for different steps (forget what SCCM calls them) during configuration, it's just install/uninstall. Also doesn't deploy the OS in any form.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Anyone want to tell me why my USMT xml is being retarded? It doesn't copy the Default User profile, but still copies user2. What am I missing?

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<migration urlid="http://www.microsoft.com/migration/1.0/migxmlext/miguser">

<!-- This component migrates data in user context -->
   <component type="Documents" context="User">
      <displayName>MigDocUser</displayName>
      <role role="Data">
         <rules>
            <include filter='MigXmlHelper.IgnoreIrrelevantLinks()'>
               <objectSet>
                  <script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDocPatterns ("FALSE","TRUE","FALSE")</script>
               </objectSet>
             </include>
             <exclude filter='MigXmlHelper.IgnoreIrrelevantLinks()'>
               <objectSet>
                  <script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDocPatterns ("FALSE","FALSE","FALSE")</script>
               </objectSet>
            </exclude>
	<!-- This will exclude Default User and User2 from Migration -->
	<unconditionalExclude>
               <objectSet>
                <pattern type="File">c:\documents and settings\user2\* [*]</pattern>
                <pattern type="File">c:\documents and settings\default user\* [*]</pattern>
               </objectSet>
	</unconditionalExclude>
        <contentModify script="MigXmlHelper.MergeShellLibraries('TRUE','TRUE')">
               <objectSet>
                  <pattern type="File">*[*.library-ms]</pattern>
               </objectSet>
            </contentModify>
            <merge script="MigXmlHelper.SourcePriority()">
               <objectSet>
                  <pattern type="File">*[*.library-ms]</pattern>
               </objectSet>
            </merge>
         </rules>
      </role>
   </component>
</migration>

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Spudman posted:

My first instinct would be using an IP-helper setting in the router to forward the broadcasts, but this is a half-baked idea and probably is not at all the solution. (Edit: might search for an RRAS / DHCP Relay solution instead.)

I get interesting errors every once in a while with PXE/WDS too. For instance, when booting up, the host will contact the DHCP server and get an address that is then displayed on the screen as WDS loads... then once WinPE has loaded, it will then inform me that it failed to get a DHCP address and force me to reboot. But, wait... how did you even boot WinPE in the first place if you didn't have an IP address? Then on the next reboot, everything will go just fine. So it's an intermittent issue. My favorite kind.

As for the WDS/DHCP Error. When you load into WinPE it reinits the network stack and forces it to get another DHCP address. We had this issue on Dell Optiplex 745/755 machines with the onboard Intel Gigabit NIC. We ended up having to enable spanning tree port fast on all of our switch ports in order to fix it.

I'm not a networking guy so I'm not entirely sure what that did but it did resolve the issue for us.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Telex posted:

So I've got a System Center Essentials server up and running (I think, mostly it looks like I need to just get people to install their updates and that's my only glaring set of errors)..

Am I missing something that will tell me who is actually logged into a machine?

I really want to set this up to give a report the same way that Casper for Mac kinda works. I can type someone's login name and boom it tells me they're using machine 11046L. We have a horrible naming scheme for employee machines, and I don't want to have to reference an extra source just to track down who owns these things, it half defeats the purpose of using it. But, I can't find out where to look.

By default SCE doesn't collect that information that I'm aware of. I also couldn't find a way to get it in the console on SCE2010.

A quick search turns up this that may function? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenter/thread/4d1a9603-be45-412e-ba2d-8c057cdca820/

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Intoxication posted:

Just a quick question, ist it possible to run a mix of Win7 Enterprise and Win7 Professional clients within a domain?

I'm considering running the Enterprise versions on some laptops to be able to use DirectAccess, and leaving the rest on Pro.

Quite possible, we do it. A majority of our machines were purchased with Win7 pro from dell, the remainder are on our new SA/Enterprise agreement

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I have some Windows licensing questions. The licensing thread was archived, so I hope this is a good place for them.

How do small-medium size business handle Windows licenses?

I'm coming from an all XP environment with a VLK, and everything is pretty simple. We have about 100 PCs, all running XP. 75% of them have been bought about 5 at a time over the last 2-3 years, all with Vista Home or 7 Home. The other 25% are 8+ years old and will be replaced.

Should we get OEM Pro licenses with the new PCs, get upgrade licenses for the rest of them, and then get the OEM licenses for any future machines? Or, should we buy the new ones with 7 Home, and get upgrade licenses for all of them?

How are these licenses handled and managed compared to XP's volume license key?

How would either type of license affect our ability to deploy workstations through imaging? Would we need to remember which PCs had an OEM license and go type it in off the sticker each time it was imaged?

Licensing makes my head hurt, so I appreciate any advice.

Why would you buy double licenses? Purchase Pro OEM licenses on your machines (it's cheaper this way) buy one VLK license for ease of installation and have at it. If you need SA then you're required to buy something that's 'upgradeable'.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Honey Im Homme posted:

Oh and gently caress SCE 2010 its a piece of poo poo!

:( so so so true

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Misogynist posted:

We avoid this problem by not running NTFS file servers. There's too many good storage platforms out there to waste time trying to roll our own and have them subject to these sorts of problems.

What the hell does that have to do with NTFS? NTFS supports volume size of 256TB using a GPT disk. As long as your server is windows 2003 SP1 and above this hasn't been an issue in years.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Misogynist posted:

NTFS lacks end-to-end integrity checking and other availability features that are implemented in higher-end filesystems like ZFS, GPFS2, OneFS and (ugh) btrfs that are built to scale. As a result, it's very poor at detecting corruption while the filesystem is online. That means that when the poo poo hits the fan, NTFS has to take the disk offline to run chkdsk. Have you ever tried to run chkdsk on a disk that's more than a few terabytes in size? It typically takes weeks where most proper filesystems take literally zero time because it's something they just constantly do in the background.

No offense, but have you ever run significant storage in production?

TMYK. I've not run anything over 15TB in production. I've run CHKDSK on 3-5TB volumes and it does take a while.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

FISHMANPET posted:

So you run a NAS with a better FS underneath?

Our Windows admin is leary of running files off anything but a Windows server, but he's also an old greybeard and formed a lot of his views back in the NT days, so I don't really know what to believe anymore.

As long as the underlying host supports SMB I don't see why it would be an issue. I'm going to do some testing in our lab and see if it's worth the migration.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Wicaeed posted:

Isn't that what File Screens are for in the first place? Prevent users from saving .wav .mp3 .flac .mp4 files, voila!

Sadly some people have legit uses for those files :\

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Honey Im Homme posted:

Anyone using SCDPM here, any major pitfalls? My boss seems to have a major hardon for it and I just know I'm going to be told to set it up.

Have used DPM since 2006, currently 2007 in production and rolling out 2010 in the next month. I have no major issues with it it runs and does its thing just fine. You backing up to disk only or to tape as well?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

IT Guy posted:

What makes a service start with the Local System Account and not a Domain Admin account?

We have this very old piece of poo poo software running on a server. Recently, we want it to access our file server with a Domain Account rather than the local system account. We've change file permissions on a public access file share from the Everyone built in group to "Domain Users", basically to stop guests from seeing the share. This very old software seems to be connecting to the file share with whatever account is starting the service which is why it worked with the everyone group but not Domain Users.

Anyway, I want to change the service logon user to a domain admin so it has access to the file share but when I do so it won't start. What do I need to do here?

Does your domain admin have Log on as a service rights to the machine you're trying to start the service on? You can find this out by running secpol.msc > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment > Log on as a service. By default this access is not given to domain admins

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yes, you would need 30 device CALs for 2008, and 30 more for 2003 access. Total of 60. You cant use 30 2008 CALs for 2008 and 2003. Once downgrade rights have been applied to those 30 CALs for 2003 server access, you cant un-downgrade them when you feel like accessing 2008 servers.

I'm being audited by Microsoft right now, I'm off on 4 Office 2002 Suites. Who knew that everything is downgrade compatible except for Office suites? :(

There is a reason microsoft offers certification exams in licensing their products. It's loving complicated :(

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

InfiniteDonkey posted:

Does anybody have DirectAccess implemented and in use? If so do you use Oracle?

I'm currently evaluating DirectAccess and in the process of testing different software we use and i just can't seem to get one Oracle Forms application to connect to it's database no matter what i do. I checked tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora that all the connectors are made with FQDN names and not with ip's.

I'm getting ready to set it up, are you using Forefront UAG with it to do NAT64/DNS64? Did you have an existing PKI or did you stand one up just for DirectAccess? I'd love to pick your brain on how you like it.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

InfiniteDonkey posted:

Yay Feedback!

Thanks for that :) I'm forced to stand up a new PKI for this and it needs to happen 'right now' so I've spent the better part of a week brushing up on PKI to see if I can roll that out in the next month or so and then move on to UAG/DirectAccess.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Gravitom posted:

Does anyone have a good method of checking 150+ servers for what accounts are logged in a services on them?

http://techibee.com/tag/query-service-logon-account-using-powershell

You can run that or modify it as needed. Should do what you want I think.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
If my memory serves, you do have to extend the schema to add a newer DC to the domain, it doesn't change the functional level of the forest or the domain, but it does change the schema version. If by some chance, like me, you have some rear end old program that checks the schema version and refuses to work once you've changed the schema version it's a bit of a pain to roll back.

Most of the time extending the schema doesn't break anything. All you're doing is adding more containers to place poo poo in that the Domain Controllers can use.
For example extending the Schema to 2008 enables a container for certificates and therefore, you can have certificate roaming. This changes the schema version from v31 (2003 R2) to V44 (2008 RTM). It also adds some other containers but you get the general idea.

Doing this on my domain, breaks a custom piece of CMS software that was written when we were running Windows 2000 and it apparently checks to verify that the schema version isn't above 39, once you increment it to 40 it stops functioning.

Also since you have the permissions to install a DC anyway. Check the schema version yourself. If it's above v44 than install 2008 and tell your admin to jump off a bridge. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/556086)

Nebulis01 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 17, 2012

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

incoherent posted:

Has anyone effectively used an Managed Service Account at all? Every time I read about them it seems like they are silver bullet for creating service accounts, but nothing Microsoft makes uses them.

Can't use them for SQL, can't use them for AD RMS.

SQL Server 2012 added support for the Managed Service Account.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Swink posted:

Is it only supposed to service intranets, fileshares and emails, or is it designed to support our main database applications as well?

It's designed to let you do anything you would normally do on the corporate network. We're testing it with a database based application and it works just dandy

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Frozen-Solid posted:

Is that right? Will that get everything? Or am I better off using the GUI to schedule a weekly full bacup, and using wbadmin.exe to just backup the F:\ and E:\ drives?

That should get everything on C:, E:, F:, P: as well as critical system volumes and the system state using the 'Full' volume shadow copy which will reset the backup flag of the files

Nebulis01 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 21, 2012

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Frozen-Solid posted:

Which should be everything to restore if we lose the whole thing, right? (those are all the drives, minus the CDROM)

Though, I'm now wondering if vssCopy should be set instead. I have no idea if Bacula checks the backup flag or has it's own way of dealing with incremental backups.

That will provide you with a file that will let you do a bare metal recovery using Windows Server Backup. I have no idea on the backup flag + bacula though :(

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm setting up a bare metal install of Windows Server 2008 R2 for the first time, and am having an oddity with the fiber channel. If I setup a redundant path Windows is seeing each path as individual drives, rather than seeing two paths to the same drive. Is there something special I have to do in Windows to make it see the redundancy, or did I somehow setup my fiber wrong?

I've never had this problem on my VMware servers, and setup the fiber channel connections the same way. It "just worked" whereas Windows is confusing me by having double the drives that it should.

You may need to install the DSM from your hardware provider for MPIO to work properly. Also verify the MPIO feature in windows is enabled. Hopefully I understood your question correctly.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619734%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Mierdaan posted:

I can't find it anymore, but I thought I read that SCCM 2012 for small environments doesn't require full-blown SQL. Am I crazy, or can you run a standalone site for ~250 clients off of express somehow?

If you own the license to install SCCM it should come with the rights for whatever SQL you need as long as you just use that SQL installation for SCCM

e;fb

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Bob Morales posted:

What's the recommended book for Windows server? Something that covers AD and GPO and bonus points for getting into WSUS and other stuff. I've been away for two years and am not really sure what all has improved or changed since Server 2003.

If you want the book on AD and GPO. I would highly recommend Jeremy Moskowitz's group policy book (http://www.amazon.com/Group-Policy-Fundamentals-Security-Managed/dp/1118289404/ref=la_B001ILM9BS_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371829668&sr=1-1)

As for server, which version will you be working with? 2008R2 is significantly different than 2012.

My go to for Server 2012 has been the unleashed book which has been a great resource (http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-2012-Unleashed-Morimoto/dp/0672336227/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371829778)

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Why the heck is Group Policy + IE 10 so ridiculously stupid to get going?

Because everything useful is moved to the IEAK and you set preferences now instead. :(

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Wait, there must be a way that doesn't suck to manage proxy config settings and stuff. That's ridiculous.

Let me know if you find one :( We had to custom deploy IE10 using the IEAK to get our settings out there because it refused to respect the old GPO's we had in place for IE7/8/9

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Sacred Cow posted:

Has anyone used Dell KASE System Deployment (K2000)?
My company is going to have a requirement in the near future for several remote sites that will have no IT support and we'll need the ability to image users machines remotely and with as little user interaction as possible. I've been toying around with MDT 2012 and getting LiteTouch up and running is no problem. ZeroTouch has been a nightmare. If there are any other file based imaging systems out there to check out, I am all ears.

You'd really want to stand up SCCM to do Zero Touch well, if you need the rest of the configuration tools provided it's probably worth looking in to.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Karthe posted:

I can't find an anti-virus thread anywhere so I guess this is as good a place as any to ask: What are you guys using for AV? The place I'm at now has been using Kaspersky for forever, but after three years of dealing with its bullshit I'm finally in a position to evaluate alternatives. I know SCCM/Forefront is pretty popular, but I think it's overkill for our small company in terms of complexity and cost.

I've used ESET's NOD32 at a number of companies and really like it quite a bit. Another admin friend of mind recommended Vipre by Threat Track Security (http://www.threattracksecurity.com/) and we're giving it a shot for a year, it replaced Kaspersky for us and we've been very happy so far. They also include 3rd party patch management (Java, iTunes, Firefox, Flash, etc) in their business premium license.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

zapateria posted:

Lenovo has "SCCM packages" of drivers for most of their models, which is a nice thought. Except they have a bunch of "gotcha"s where you have to install one driver before the other etc. And the touchpad driver made OSD crash.

Dell does the same thing

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a good site for understanding Microsoft licensing. This poo poo is a horrible nightmare.

I have 200 laptops that shipped with OEM Win 8 Pro and want to upgrade them to Enterprise so that I can use AppLocker/BitLocker/Windows-To-Go.

Now I'm reading some bullshit about how I need software assurance to use Windows to Go. Then I'm reading some other bullshit about how Software Assurance entitles me to run Enterprise on these laptops without actually paying for an Enterprise upgrade because Software Assurance somehow includes it.

I'd call Microsoft directly at that quantity you're a fit for a Select agreement if Windows is the only thing you're going to purchase. If you have a trusted VAR for MS you could call them as well.

Since every license Microsoft sells via Open/Select/Enterprise agreements is an upgrade they will be Windows Enterprise Upgrades. Also since you mentioned wanting to use Bitlocker (and I assume MBAM to manage it?) the product you're after is microsft p/n CX2-00024 (Windows Enterprise Upgrade w/ MDOP and SA)

Sacred Cow posted:

Its weird that they stopped requiring an SA to even get a license for Enterprise. Its not much better then Pro without all the SA benefits.

I'm sure it's pretty much for Anywhere Access and Bitlocker in Win7.

Nebulis01 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 21, 2014

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Zero VGS posted:

Some Googling suggests that Select has been phased out for Software Assurance. Also, kill me, I've been researching this poo poo for 12 hours straight.

Call and talk with them, we just renewed and signed a new one in September. Unless they've changed drastically in 30 days (possible, but unlikely) you should be able to sign an agreement.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Gyshall posted:

Does Office 2013 need to "phone home" to some server that might be blocked on our LAN? We just had about 10 copies of Office Home & Business 2013 stop working (like uninstall themselves) and they're all tied to the same MS account for activation.

This is a new client or we'd have them on volume license. But I thought it was really strange. We did upgrade the firewall there to have perimeter A/V scanning, and I'm wondering if that caused an issue.

If they're retail/oem or other form a click to run installations I believe they function very similar to this - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg982959%28v=office.14%29.aspx
Clients will need the ability to reach the office.com servers to verify activation every 30 days.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Wicaeed posted:

Per server to use SCCM? Holy gently caress, I'm used to Microsoft gouging but :stare:

At list which is a base Open Agreement with 2 years of Software Assurance - $1,323 for Standard (up to 2 physical processors and 2 Managed OSEs) $3,607 for Datacenter (2 physical processors - unlimited cores, unlimited OSEs) but that includes the *entire* system center stack in the new licensing model.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
I'm pretty sure (according to a quick googling) that Samba supports DFS or similar. So I'd even take it further and go \\domain.here\namespacehere\stuff - that way down the road you can replace the server(s) underneath the shares and nobody is the wiser, no shortcuts to update or anything.

You can keep the letter maps if you need to.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

mayodreams posted:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I've seen that cause a lot of trust issues with the domain controllers.

This sounds like you have a multitude of replication issues then.

Tab8715 posted:

If I rename a pc in AD, will this rename the local pc too and leave everything else as-is?

You can do it from powershell on anything relatively current and it saves time over the GUI's multiple screen process.

code:
Rename-computer –computername “computer” –newname “newcomputername” –domaincredential domain\user –force –restart

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Zero VGS posted:

I'm still in MS Licensing Hell...:

This really is not that complicated.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/volume-licensing/archive/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/win8-virtual.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/products/products.aspx

1) Is there any possible way that I can avoid buying CALs if I set up a Windows server to only run a 3rd-party application? I'm not using Active Directory (our laptops do not have a domain). We want to upgrade our voicemail server but the new version requires Windows Server 2008/2012, it won't allow itself to be installed Windows 7/8 Pro.

No, you would need a CAL for every user or device that accessed this server. Depending on who is accessing the server, and which MS technologies are involved, you may be able to purchase an External Connector License or move the workload to a Windows Server Web Edition License.

2) Also, running Windows 7/8 Pro as a VM to serve stuff like PDQ or Spiceworks wouldn't need a CAL, right?

For spiceworks you'd be OK, PDQ would fall squarely outside the PUR for desktop OSs '

From the PUR January 2015 World Wide for Volume Licenses

"8. You may connect up to 20 devices to the Licensed Device for file sharing, printing, Internet Information Services, Internet Connection Sharing or telephony services. "

3) If I buy a retail boxed copy of Windows 8, would it have VM rights?

Take a look at the Product Use Rights (PUR) - Windows 8 lets you enable virtual machines however the license does not include wording to allow another copy to run as a virtual OSE. You would need two retail licensees

4) I have a stack of laptops with OEM Windows 8 Pro, but they have blown motherboards and the HP warranties are lapsed. Is there any possible way to transfer those licenses to another physical machine, or a VM?

You can replace the motherboards with an identical one and reuse the license, otherwise you'd need to purchase refurbish licenses (about $50/ea) and then repair them.

It seems like MS doesn't have any sort of hotline for these kinds of questions, a VAR could probably answer them but VARs kinda hate me because all my work is aimed towards not buying things.

VLSC can answer some or all of these questions, if you're going to use the software do it right and pony up. This isn't MS Licensing Hell this is you/your company trying to pretend MS is FOSS and get out of properly paying for software.

North America VLSC
(866) 230-0560

Nebulis01 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Sacred Cow posted:

Has anyone here worked with System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager? I'm about to start a new job and the manager wants me to take on the task of fixing their old System Center guy's "sloppy" implementation. Are there any good resources out there for learning it? I've already downloaded the evaluation version to add to my lab at home.

And before anyone asks, yes I did tell him beforehand that I've never worked with DPM.

I've used it all the way back to 2006 as orange sky says it's very strait forward. If you've never used the product and don't like/want to fiddle with anything to try it out. Steve Buchanan's 2012 SP1 book is a good generalist overview of the product, there aren't a ton of UI changes in R2 just some stuff under the hood.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-System-Center-Protection-Manager/dp/1849686300