Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Alfajor posted:

Welp, since this thread might as well be called "SCCM is awesome", I'm looking into it some more.
I've asked our CDW rep to shoot me a quote. What's the best way to get a discount? I'm looking for anyway to bring the price down. We're a pretty small environment, 4 DCs (one for each geographical site), about 60 PCs and 90 users.

Get multiple quotes, aggressively play them against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mute
Jul 17, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I guess what I'm looking for is SOP for larger, more professional organizations when they move house - or guidelines thereabouts. Despite being largely self taught and managing hopelessly small business setups, I like to be as professional and thorough as possible, when possible... how do you even learn how to properly do something like this without having done it under someone else's employ or fallen flat on your face already?
A few notes, this is by no means comprehensive:

- Plan, plan, plan.
- Start with surveying the new office, ensuring that you have ample time to get your wiring, telco, data set up, tested and working as far ahead of the move as possible.
This, invariably, will cause the most issues you'll have.

- Planning out changes to configs, IPs, etc. (you noted this)

- Estimating/planning the actual move - As with any move, getting things decommissioned will take longer than unloading/getting them set back up. (Make sure you get it set up right, so your life will be easier when supporting the new office.)

- Also, make drat sure you can get your equipment into whatever room they're putting it all. Nothing like moving two racks and finding out that the new space they're occupying isn't big enough for both.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

mindphlux posted:

What is provided by most nice (like you know, 5-10 story, actual) offices as far as equipments? Obviously properly wired network jacks, and some sort of patch panel or hub in the 'network closet' right? not having a hub would be madness...

Do not assume you will have anything other than working lights (not even this) until you've seen things with your own eyes. And tested to make sure things work and that you don't have crazy wiring that someone decided to split each CAT5 cable run between phone and data. I sound paranoid, but this happened to me: "Oh, you wanted the jacks to actually have something punched down inside of them? It wasn't in the contract!"

quote:

and what about what the telco provides?

any tips on how to look less ridiculous in doing so would be welcome. at least I have the excuse of 'hey I've only been working for these people for 2 weeks and noone knows wtf'

Who owns what varies by contract/provider. Find the contract, if you can't, ask Cogent who owns what and who manages everything (not necessarily the same thing). Do this for the new location as well.

Advice on not appearing ridiculous: Know what you're talking about. Don't focus on the equipment at the existing office unless you own it. Don't assume anything is being done without it being in writing, and ask nitpicky questions if you're unclear about something. Do understand how data circuits/Metro Ethernet/etc work, since you will see it again everywhere. Do write down everything anyone tells you, and reference it later.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

I'd always ask vendor to confirm, but 2008 CALs are okay for accessing 2003 boxen (downgrade rights), but 2003 is not good for 2008.

Where I'm at, we wouldn't buy any more CALs until your migration is complete and we knew what we were looking at (typically we just true-up once a year).

mute
Jul 17, 2004

IT Guy posted:

We just got our first Windows 2008 R2 server. All of our other servers are still 2003 R2. I noticed the integrated Windows Backup doesn't seem to suck as much as the 2003 version does. Currently we use Symantec Backup Exec on the 2003 servers. What do you guys recommend for the 2008 server? Is Windows Backup viable now or should I still be using Backup Exec?

I'd shy away from using multiple products for backup if you can help it, just from a management perspective. If you've got Symantec and are relatively okay with it, stick with it unless you want to shift over to another product completely (over time, obviously).

I'm assuming you're talking about a physical server with 2008R2 installed and not a virtual system... We moved to Acronis recently for physical/tape backups (purely a price decision, we were previously using BacupExec 12, which worked decently). I don't hate it and it does what we need for the 2-3 servers we haven't virtualized and handful of workstations that have weird configurations that I never want to reconfigure again, ever.

For all virtual backups (90% of the infrastructure), we love Veeam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mute
Jul 17, 2004

InfiniteDonkey posted:

Has anybody had any experience with Dell's Kace?

My boss booked me a meeting with a Dell representative about Kace and i've been reading about it on the Kace website.

We have a fully working SCCM 2007 and i'm not really thrilled about introducing a another solution for managing and deploying computers. I'd just rather update to SCCM 2012.

We use the 1000 appliance here. It's good, does it's job, and I've had great luck with everything I've thrown at it. The community forums + paid support are good as well.

However, we started with nothing. If you've got SCCM already, I can't see how you'd not be wasting time/money to transition.