Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Welp, since this thread might as well be called "SCCM is awesome", I'm looking into it some more.
I've asked our CDW rep to shoot me a quote. What's the best way to get a discount? I'm looking for anyway to bring the price down. We're a pretty small environment, 4 DCs (one for each geographical site), about 60 PCs and 90 users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

We've somehow made it this far without any kind of drive encryption, but it's time to get with the times. Environment is Windows 2008 R2 domain, about 75 users, 60ish Win7 workstations (most of them shared by multiple users) and a dozen Win7 laptops. First priority is to encrypt data on servers and laptops, and then cover all the workstations everywhere.
This is all new territory for me, VAR suggests looking at Sophos, McAffee and TrendMicro, so that's where I'm starting. Any tips on what to read, how to roll it out, what to avoid? I'd like something that IT can centrally manage, be able to control keys, set access levels, run reports, etc.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Thanks for the replies. I've got some homework to do. All our desktops and laptops are less than 3 years old, but I have no idea if they have TPM... our inventory is also in need of improvement, which also saddens me greatly.

Thanks Ants posted:

I have no idea about server encryption, I thought that was what physical security was for. It would scare me shitless to try and encrypt the disks of servers.

That's kind of where I am :ohdear:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Swink posted:

The win7 enterprise requirement is holding me back though (we run pro).

Ah yes, we also run Pro here. I suppose that means that rules bitlocker out as a free option that we already have available.