Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think this is the best place for this post after checking the first few pages of SH/SC.

I have a friend's dad who is looking for me to clarify the estimate he received from his normal IT company for a new server. He's a CPA w/ 3 employees, to my knowledge the server is mainly for backups and running server copies of the software they use. I'm gonna see if he and I can conference in with the IT company to have them break down how and why they came up with this estimate because it seems really high for his someone with his size office.

His previous server was about $7k according to him, he also received an estimate for a NAS separately, which I can wrap my head around, although not sure why a NAS AND a server considering some of the components in the server... however, my background is in consumer level stuff and have never dealt with a server, let alone planning one, etc. I'm tentatively starting a new position in a week or so in a corporate office, so I hope to get more knowledge on this kind of stuff in the coming months/years.

I was hoping to get some insight and see if you guys might be able to tell me why the IT company made the recommendations they did.

https://imgur.com/a/tpoal

Let me know if there's anything else I should provide! Thanks, y'all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Jeoh posted:

I don't know why they're running Exchange locally in TYOOL 2017 and it's not listed in the licensing (neither are the RDS licenses). Otherwise, looks pretty standard? We can't really tell without knowing what kind of software they're running (and it doesn't really belong in the Enterprise thread).

Gotcha. Would the small biz thread be better? I went by server being in the thread title, so I’ll happily hop over to wherever.

EDIT: Could have sworn the thread title had Windows Server in it a couple days ago. Ugh, I clearly needed more sleep or some coffee.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 4, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Is this the place that I would ask stupid basic questions as I fumble my way through the Deployment Lab for SCCM that MS offers? I’m getting started on setting up the Azure subscription so I can work through those labs and wanted to verify that I can make any ole domain choice because I’m just testing anyway.

So, I could put whatever.onmicrosoft.com and be OK as long as no one else thought of it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I've taken over an account creation process and I've been working at automating parts of it.

An E3 license is assigned by placing the user into an AAD group. We then manually set the Send As and Full Access rights for the individual mailbox.

Off-hand, is there a way I can make the latter happen just by adding them to that first AAD group? I figure there's always a Powershell script if necessary but I wanted to streamline as much as possible.

I've started looking into this but am coming up short on Google

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

nielsm posted:

I don't know about Exchange Online, but in on-prem you can add (universal) groups to the Full Access and Send As permissions. The limitation when doing that, still on-prem, is that users don't get the mailbox added to the property on their AD object that tells Outlook to automatically open the mailbox.

Yeah, it's hybrid so there's all sorts of moving parts. I figured that if E3 is set via AAD, there's gotta be a similar function available for mailbox control. But just trying to see if anyone had a lead before I finally find the best search terms.