Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, feel free to hijack this thread for other Enterprisy Windows talk, since there don't seem to be any threads for such things.

Will do! But seriously, thread title should indicate we have a new Megathread to attract other admins. Anyway, to my problem:

I'm tasked with fixing our backups. I'm supposed to use less space and media while backing up the same amount of data and our slowly growing file server. As one bullet point I suggested using DFS Replication and VSS to (1) eliminate storing multiple daily backups of our 1.5TB and growing file server and (2) provide some redundancy that isn't a USB attached hard drive that sometimes isn't mirrored.

The IT Director apparently had some of this in place previously but ran into issues related to running 32-bit Server 2003. As for DFS-R, he mentioned that "1.5TB is a lot to push through Active Directory".

Now it's been a while, and I somewhat recalled that DFS-R utilized AD in some way, so I left to do some research and find out what he's talking about, but haven't been able to find anything yet. I've got a better idea of how DFS works, but found nothing that would tell me that a AD on a DC is solely tasked with reading and replicating all the files.

Does anyone know what he may be talking about, or can point me to the technical document that will explain it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Any suggestions for a thread title? My unimaginitve idea is "Tell me about your Enterprise Windows management, Megathread edition!"

Windows Server Megathread? I don't think it'd have to be too specific and list all the versions we're allowed to talk about or anything like that. Maybe just a little something to set it apart from the Home Server thread.

Anyway, that would at least be a start. Then someone would have to create a better OP for the megathread, perhaps with links to the other specialized megathreads.