Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Apologies if there's a better thread for this; it's in an enterprise context but not quite enterprise-scale itself.

I'm in the running for a position that manages a computer lab of some 150–200 computers in a university setting. I had assumed it would be more or less a matter of keeping things running smoothly and making incremental improvements within a framework decided higher up the IT food chain. Turns out that's not the case at all. This division basically has its own IT department independent of the organization's actual IT department, which has basically left them to roll their own everything. What's more, the person I'd be replacing, who had been there for years and years, doesn't seem to have known what he was doing—and wasn't interested in learning. The most glaring evidence of that, to me, is the fact that imaging is done one-by-one with flash drives :psyduck:

So, a massive overhaul is needed. I've been led to believe I'll have significant latitude to make changes, but my experience with setting up something like this from the ground up is, uh, thin. I've definitely got some studying to do, but I'd like to start getting a sense of what constitutes best practices in this sort of environment rather than blindly muddling through.

I don't have a complete picture of the place's assets and needs yet, but the gist is that the lab is currently sort of a hodgepodge of iMacs and Dell all-in-ones of various vintages, most of them older than any reasonable replacement cycle would involve. Many of the iMacs are currently dual-booting Windows, with Windows making up the vast majority of their use. The student body is only a few thousand, and I think they use Active Directory to authenticate users. I'm not sure what sort of server resources are available to this department.

Sorting out deployment and administration seems like it should be my first order of business (after getting a better picture of what the hell's going on over there). What tools should I be looking at for this sort of use case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Internet Explorer posted:

That all sounds fairly normal for a university. There's usually 100 different departments all doing their own "IT." The people who work for them (generally, don't murder me university folks) are comfortable in their ways and don't try to push the envelope, often times because of the bureaucracy involved.

Set up Windows Deployment Services or FOG.

Check out DeepFreeze or RebootRestoreRX.

Figure out how you are going to push updates, either by just re-imaging machines or using something like WSUS or PDQDeploy.

Document, document, document.

My current job is at a different university, so I can definitely attest to people being comfortable and set in their ways—frankly, I myself spent too long content with my current position. The extent to which IT functions are fragmented among different entities at the other place did come as a shock, though. Where I am now, there are a few servers managed by random professors, and we're not all the way there yet on centralizing hardware and software purchasing, but most technology-related issues do involve a single university-wide IT department. The place I'm waiting to hear from actually does have a relatively big IT department that ostensibly plays that sort of role, but in practice it seems to have a rather narrower focus, leaving a bunch of other departments to fend for themselves.

I'm big on documentation, so whatever I do will be meticulously recorded, but it's an open question how much I can get coworkers to play ball. As things stand now, they don't seem to have any kind of ticketing system, knowledge base, version control, etc. I'd like to see all of that implemented, but I won't be in a position to make that call for anyone but myself and maybe a subordinate or two, so it'll be a lot of leading by example.

Thankfully, the new place does have Deep Freeze, which I have experience with, so that's one piece already in place.

How about SCCM? It offers integration with several of the tools discussed so far, so is there any downside to having it in the mix? I get the impression that it's a step up in complexity, but I need more than just an imaging solution anyway. It sounds like it's arguably overkill for the number of devices I'd be managing, but I'm eager to learn, and I'd like to have scalability in mind from the outset. I don't want to keep that job 'til I die, and I don't want that job to stay what it has been, either.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Thanks Ants posted:

Does Windows have a documented printer discovery method like macOS does? For example, if someone connects a Mac to our Wi-Fi network then I am advertising the printers into that VLAN by using the various mDNS helper services that access points, switches, firewalls etc. have baked into them now.

I'd like Windows to work the same way, as there are times when non-managed clients that don't have the printers deployed to them will need to be able to print. I think Windows tends to prefer setting printers up as WSD devices if it detects them on the local network - is there a way to get this working across subnets without just bouncing all multicast or broadcast traffic between them?

Even if I just need to manually create a bunch of DNS records that the clients try and lookup in the same zone they're assigned via DHCP would be fine as a solution, but the stuff I am finding seems really hacky.

Edit: Something along the lines of how this works, https://www.papercut.com/support/resources/manuals/mobility-print/mobility-print-server/topics/discover-printers-dns.html but without the third-party software and app install requirements.

I can't say for sure, but if it's possible it's probably a bit of a pain, because PaperCut (which is dope, by the way) relies on discovery apps for Windows and Android, but macOS and iOS clients just see the printers with AirPrint. Presumably they'd avoid the hassle of developing those apps if they could.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 5, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd be fine with PaperCut if this were a BYOD thing, but it's for guest users who might not be able to install an app. I'm really only focused on Windows as Macs are covered with AirPrint. Currently we are resorting to the print-by-email feature for guest printing but it's poo poo and the experience is massively different between each vendor.

Do you mean email-to-print built into your printers? If so, at the risk of sounding like a PaperCut shill, it does also feature email- and web-based printing, so users would have a consistent experience regardless of which device they printed to. It also supports Google Cloud Print, but I've found that to be a hassle on the client side.

As a caveat, we didn't have much of a use case for those features, so I only tried them a couple times before pushing our users to the app. They seemed fine, but I'm not in a position to totally vouch for them.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'd like to do a dumb thing as correctly as possible.

I manage the computers for one business unit in a moderately large organization. My unit's devices aren't part of the organization's Active Directory infrastructure, and joining it is untenable for dumb political reasons. I have no access to the organization's networking infrastructure beyond maybe getting a static IP assigned to a device.

Given these constraints, is it possible for me to create a new AD forest for my unit? My main goal is to join the devices I manage to a domain so I can push computer policies to them. I don't need any kind of interaction between this new forest and the organization's extant forest.

DNS seems like the sticking point. I don't have any control over the organization's DNS servers, and I don't want to gently caress with DNS for anyone outside my unit. My unit does have its own DNS subdomain, for what that's worth. What are my options here?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

skipdogg posted:

So these machines are all just workgroup machines, no domain at all? That's an odd scenario.

Maneki Neko posted:

Sounds like a terrible university setup or something to me.

:siren:YUP:siren:

For a variety of goofy historical reasons, the IT unit that's supposed to manage the enterprise only manages about 40% of its devices, and there are at least five other IT departments supporting individual business units. Since nobody trusts the enterprise IT unit, I'm under orders to keep them from being able to manage my unit's machines. On top of that, the guy I'm replacing was some special kind of fuckup who managed to make it to retirement without learning a goddamn thing about how to do his job, so everything to do with management is ad-hoc as hell.

Thank you both for the software recommendations, and everyone else for the AD setup suggestions. I'll have to mull it over this weekend.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol the central IT people are going to have your head one day

If this place made more sense, totally. As it is, they know that everyone is doing their own thing, and they don't seem to be making any effort to change that. I hate this square peg/round hole poo poo, and if it were up to me, I'd have gotten on board with their AD/Jamf situation on my first day. I got overruled, so I'm just trying to keep the wheels on the bus until something better comes along.

Edit:

FISHMANPET posted:

University IT is a wild beast.

Toast Museum, you don't work at a university in Minnesota do you?

I don't, but I bet it's exactly the same shitshow as wherever you have in mind.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

AlternateAccount posted:

Uhhh... wtf does AD put into attributes that have never been set? And why can't I just assign one $null?

code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> set-aduser TESTUSER -employeenumber $null

PS C:\Windows\system32> (Get-ADUser TESTUSER -property employeenumber) -eq $null
False

PS C:\Windows\system32> 
tf...?

Get-ADUser returns an ADUser object. The Properties parameter doesn't select the properties you specify; it just adds them to the object the command returns, so your second line is really asking whether the user object exists. It does, so you're getting $False. What you want is

(Get-ADUser TESTUSER -Properties EmployeeNumber).EmployeeNumber -eq $Null

or

(Get-ADUser TESTUSER -Properties EmployeeNumber | Select -ExpandObject EmployeeNumber) -eq $Null

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 26, 2019

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Thanks Ants posted:

Strongly recommend you get linked up with https://www.eduroam.org/about/institutions/. Faculty and students can then go to any participating school/college/university globally and will connect to the same Wi-Fi network with the same credentials that they use at the school that employs them / they attend.

I'll second that. My institution got on board a couple years ago, and it's quite handy.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I've got an MDT issue I haven't been able to pin down yet. After the last reboot before the task sequence ends (literally all that's left is to display the summary and officially finish the sequence), the task sequence doesn't resume. All prior steps in the sequence appear to have been applied correctly. If I restart the computer myself at that point, the task sequence picks up where it left off and finishes. Anyone seen this behavior before?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Fool posted:

Was there a password change or domain join? Any other changes to the account that MDT is using to deploy?

Is it stopping at a login screen, or does it log in and just sit at the desktop?

It logs in and sits at the desktop. There's no password change and no domain (:shepicide:).

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Toast Museum posted:

I've got an MDT issue I haven't been able to pin down yet. After the last reboot before the task sequence ends (literally all that's left is to display the summary and officially finish the sequence), the task sequence doesn't resume. All prior steps in the sequence appear to have been applied correctly. If I restart the computer myself at that point, the task sequence picks up where it left off and finishes. Anyone seen this behavior before?

The Fool posted:

Was there a password change or domain join? Any other changes to the account that MDT is using to deploy?

Is it stopping at a login screen, or does it log in and just sit at the desktop?

Toast Museum posted:

It logs in and sits at the desktop. There's no password change and no domain (:shepicide:).

Some additional detail: a shortcut to LiteTouch.wsf is placed in the startup folder, but for some reason, on this one reboot, it doesn't run*. If I click the shortcut, the script runs, and the task sequence completes. If I restart the computer, the script runs, and the task sequence completes.

So far, I can't figure out why the script doesn't run on startup for this single reboot. I tried adding Windows Defender exclusions for the shortcut in Startup, for c:\MININT, and for wscript.exe, but no dice. These computers aren't domain-joined, but looking at local group policy, there don't appear to be any relevant local policies configured. I haven't yet found anything in the event logs indicating that the script or executable were blocked.

* I guess it's also possible that it's running and doing nothing at that point, but I don't have any indication of that.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Fool posted:

You have a pause in your task sequence somewhere. That is causing the shortcut to be created. The act of rebooting or running the shortcut resumes the task sequence.

Isn't that shortcut the mechanism by which the task sequence resumes after any planned reboot? I'm talking about a shortcut in Startup, not the "Resume Task Sequence" shortcut that gets put on the desktop if you have a pause step in the sequence.

In any case, the culprit appears to have been another item I was placing in the startup folder, a script which checked certain Explorer preferences and then restarted Explorer if any changes were made. Since it didn't restart Explorer on subsequent reboots, the task sequence was able to continue after that one reboot. That also explains why nothing about this was showing up in the MDT logs.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
More MDT issues:

My deployment share includes drivers for a few recent models of iMac. To deploy to those machines, WinPE needs to include a storage driver for the SSD. The trouble is that when WinPE does include that driver, the Gen 1 Hyper-v VM I've been testing with tries to use it and bluescreens immediately. I tried including the driver Hyper-v normally uses in the WinPE image, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone seen something like this? Is there a way to force WinPE to use certain drivers on a given machine, or am I stuck with using a separate winPE image for VMs?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Fool posted:

The answer is yes, you can filter drivers by almost any criteria you can think of, it just takes a bit to set up.

In addition, the PE properties have a place for drivers to use in PE mode only.

I can post more details when I get to work in a couple hours.

Thanks. To be clear, the question isn't about how to limit which drivers get included in the WinPE image. I've got a separate folder for WinPE drivers, organized by make and model. I've only included drivers identified as necessary for WinPE by the manufacturers in those folders, and the selection profile pointing to those folders is set to inject only network and storage drivers into WinPE. The trouble I'm having is that if I include the storage drivers, WinPE bluescreens on my test VM. If I exclude them, I can deploy to the VM just fine, but then I can't deploy to Macs (different bluescreen from WinPE). A Dell laptop I'm also testing with works just fine either way.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Fool posted:

If it's bluescreening during the PE stage and not after imaging/first restarts, you could try using a real computer or virtualbox instead of Hyper-V for your testing. Or you may just need to maintain two different PE images.

You already know how to limit the drivers used by the PE image, the other method to filter drivers only applies to drivers being injected to the wim during the imaging process.

Yeah, it's bluescreening immediately upon trying to boot to WinPE (System thread exception not handled, AppleSSD.sys; no specific stop code given). On the bright side, injecting drivers is the only significant customization I'm doing to WinPE, so the driverless image should work fine for Hyper-v as long as I don't have to edit bootstrap.ini or something.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

nielsm posted:

We're deploying a new application replacing an old, and the design for the new application really wants several hundred AD groups to control access. The old application had no AD integration and used internal user management. Each user may need to be member of between 3 and 20 of these new groups. Am I right in thinking this is a potential problem due to how the user's Kerberos ticket will grow?

I want to propose a wild shot solution of standing up a new domain only for holding groups for this application, making them as local groups in this domain, and keep users logging in through the regular domain. Am I right in thinking local groups on a different domain (same forest) will not "pollute" users' Kerberos tickets?
We do have an identity management solution in place, so managing user memberships of groups on another domain should not be much of a problem.
Is this a totally crazy idea?

Isn't this the sort of thing AD LDS is for?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

nielsm posted:

I don't know, is it? As far as I understand, since an LDS instance is not part of an AD forest, there can't be any trust relationships, and group memberships couldn't really be verified by the LDS server.

I haven't actually used AD LDS, so it's entirely possible that I'm just confused about what it's for and what it can do. If I understand correctly, it allows app-specific modifications to the AD schema and AD objects without altering AD DS itself. Will anything besides this one app care about these new groups? If not, it sounds like you'd be able to populate the AD LDS instance from AD DS, create app-specific groups and assign memberships within AD LDS, and have the app query that instance rather than AD DS.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
While we're on the subject of video conferencing apps, I've got a weird Webex issue. A few times a day, the Windows client will launch itself for no apparent reason. I'm not seeing anything in the event logs, nor does there appear to be a scheduled task launching it. Anyone else run into this?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GreenNight posted:

I haven't heard of that and we've just deployed it to 300 users. Maybe re-install?

I'm not opposed to reinstalling if I stay stumped, but I'm hoping I can figure out what the gently caress first. I mean, the app isn't running when this happens, so something is starting it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
When it comes to Office add-ins, am I missing something, or are the main options 1) centralized deployment or 2) give everyone access to the add-in store? (Add-ins can be added to a SharePoint app catalog, but Office for Mac can't access it, so that's a non-starter.) Is there really no way to make a curated portion of the add-in store/AppSource available to users?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Huh, I'll be damned.

"Windows 10 Volume Licensing Guide posted:

Qualifying Operating Systems

Windows licenses available through Commercial Licensing are upgrade-only licenses (except for VDA licenses). They don’t replace the base "qualifying" licenses for operating system software that comes preinstalled on new PCs. Each PC that runs the Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise upgrade must first be licensed to run one of the qualifying operating systems identified below—otherwise the PC won’t have a valid, legal Windows license. If you don’t have a preexisting license for a genuine, qualifying operating system on your PC, see the Get Genuine options section in this guide.

Get Genuine Windows Agreement

The best and most cost-effective way to acquire full Windows licenses is through preinstalled licenses on a new PC. However, if you discover counterfeit software or have applied a Commercial Licensing Windows upgrade license without a qualified base operating system on your computers, there are solutions available through Commercial Licensing that can help remedy this noncompliant situation. To purchase the correct Windows 10 Pro licenses through Commercial Licensing, the Get Genuine Windows Agreement (GGWA) has two options: GGWA for Small and Medium Organizations and GGWA for Large Organizations. Academic customers can purchase Windows 10 Home licenses via GGWA for Academic Organizations.

Edit: interestingly, macOS is a qualifying operating system, so it's kosher to install Enterprise on a Mac without buying it a Pro license first.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I've got a couple questions about Centralized Deployment for Office add-ins that seem pretty basic, but I don't have admin rights to go check for myself:

1. Are all deployment methods available for all add-ins, or can an add-in developer restrict which methods can be used for a particular add-in? e.g. allowing fixed deployment but disallowing "available" or "optional."
  2. Is it possible to change the deployment method after an add-in has been deployed? e.g. switching from "fixed" to "optional." If so, how?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is it possible to add a Microsoft 365 account to a local group via unattend file?

Edit: that probably could've been clearer. I mean an Azure AD user in an enterprise setting.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 3, 2021

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Sorry, I'm running on a couple hours of sleep. Basically, I'm trying to find a way to compensate for deficiencies in an MECM task sequence that I'm not in a position to change. By the end of the task sequence, the target computer has been reformatted and mostly configured, but it's not domain-joined, and the only available accounts are the built-in Administrator account and an unused local standard account. Since the "add a work or school user" option appears to be unavailable from these accounts, I'm supposed to manually run sysprep to trigger the OOBE. During the OOBE, I sign in with Azure AD credentials, from which I can add other users as needed.

I'm not interested in going through the OOBE manually every time, so I've made an unattend file. The only part of the OOBE that I haven't been able to automate away yet is that initial AzureAD sign-in.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Just to make sure I understand what you're asking, Azure AD Hybrid Join, or normal Azure AD Join? Azure AD user, or hybrid user that is also in AD?

Hybrid Identity* for users, non-hybrid Azure AD Join for the computers in question.

*In case that term is narrower than I realize, what I mean is that users are synced between on-prem AD and Azure AD via Azure AD Connect.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Yeah, sorry, I couldn't remember the term for that. So I am pretty sure you can do what you're asking. I assume you don't need these laptops on the domain, so legacy AD just kind of exists for backend infrastructure and you're not using Kerberos auth for anything? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around your use case, but yes, you should be able to do it. This article mentions Azure AD users specifically.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-localusersandgroups

incoherent posted:

all your users should be sync'd between your prem AD and Azure ad. You might be thinking about white-glove (now called pre-provisioning) autopilot.

Basically takes your unattend.xml and puts it the cloud. (That is, if you have a tpm 2.0 chip and your devices are enrolled into intune...which you should do for all your AzureAD devices) Full zero-touch provisioning and no need to login at OOBE.

Yeah, the use-case seems weird because the situation is kinda dumb.

• The laptops in question are loaners. Sometimes they're reserved in advance, and sometimes they're handed over to users on demand during walk-up requests. When the laptops are returned, they're formatted and re-imaged on-prem via ConfigMgr.
  • The laptops aren't joined to the on-prem domain to simplify pandemic-related scenarios where the machine might be off-site for weeks or months. This way, users who don't otherwise need VPN don't have to worry about connecting occasionally just to let the computer phone home.
  • For in-person on-the-fly requests, having the user go through the OOBE slows things down, so it's useful to have laptops on hand that have already gone through that step and just need the walk-up user's AD/AzureAD account added as a local admin.
  • I'm not a domain admin. I've got local admin rights on most domain-joined computers, but my access to most of MECM, Group Policy, Intune, etc. is read-only.
  • The guys who do have the necessary access are unlikely to make any changes I suggest in a timely fashion, so instead of doing any of this the right way, I'm stuck trying to do the best I can with the access I've got—hence the unattend file.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Thanks Ants posted:

It worked fine in our limited testing, but we took one look at how it was licensed and just dismissed it outright.

Yeah, Universal Print sounded neat to me until I got to the pay-per-job part.

In other news, I just learned about this fun example of two-digit years causing problems in a way I hadn't considered.

Exchange Server posted:

Log Name: Application
Source: FIPFS
Logged: 1/1/2022 1:03:42 AM
Event ID: 5300
Level: Error
Computer: server1.contoso.com
Description: The FIP-FS "Microsoft" Scan Engine failed to load. PID: 23092, Error Code: 0x80004005. Error Description: Can't convert "2201010001" to long.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Generally, I want to be able to use a graphical Linux desktop without a lot of latency but I can't blow up my issued laptop with it. Doing remote sessions has just enough trouble that it's not worth it. So I wanted to try a VM. I would do a lot of I/O so I don't want to use VirtualBox.

I have found out some stuff that makes me think it would be possible to just stage a workstation at home dedicated to Linux and getting VPN on it, but it's tribal knowledge officially unsupported by our IT.

Depending on the exact experience you're looking for, maybe GUI apps via WSL2 can get the job done?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Personally, I'd want to keep poking at that issue with the intermittent network share connection until I was certain there's no way to fix it. It definitely sounds like it would be the most straightforward solution, if it can be made to work.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

WattsvilleBlues posted:

And so I shall! Bear with me to explain some context first.

The below JSON code is part of a Microsoft Lists SharePoint channel I have set up to test management of a patient caseload. I have lots of questions but let's see if we can start off small.

This JSON is code for a single column, allowing me to specify if a patient was
1. Assessed by our service and not admitted to the caseload
2. If they're on the caseload, if their priority is rated Red, Amber or Green. There's a delayed discharge option there as well.

These are "Choice pills" the user can select from a drop-down list.

A few months ago, SharePoint changed the colours you can choose and some of them are quite washed out. I want to change the colour for the Amber option from its current "Gold" selection to a more standard yellow colour, which it was before I started mucking about with it and couldn't revert from Gold to yellow.

I'm not a coder so this stuff is beyond me. Help if you can, I would be very grateful.

code:
Here's what it looks like in the GUI:

The nesting in that JSON seems weird to me, but I haven't really messed with SharePoint lists, so maybe that's normal. After some quick poking around, it looks like the text and background colors are specified using predefined classes (e.g. sp-css-color-GoldFont and sp-css-backgroundColor-BgGold). The easiest solution would be to swap in other predefined classes corresponding to colors you like better. This page claims to be a complete list of the predefined classes, with examples of each.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

nielsm posted:

Not entirely sure where to ask this, but:
Do anyone have a suggestion to why I can modify AD objects when using the GUI ADUC snap-in, but not through PowerShell? Both are running as the same user in the same interactive login.
Tried three different ways of doing the change via PowerShell and they all fail with a permission denied error: ActiveDirectory module, System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry class, System.DirectoryServivices.AccountManagement.Principal class

What sort of changes are you trying to make? I don't typically have to run PowerShell elevated to deal with AD, but I'm mostly doing lookups or simple modifications like enabling/disabling accounts or resetting passwords, so maybe I'm just not using the bits that require elevation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Are any of the security settings user-configurable? If not, is it possible to just hide the app from them altogether?