Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006
I don't know much about SCCM or Kaseya.

I'm guessing it depends on which enviroment the agent initiating the installation runs in, and what means you have to control it? - Might work in SCCM if it defaults to x86 context on a x64 enviroment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006

Nomex posted:

Sorry, I think I missed this, but why aren't you guys just installing 64 bit Java?

Because 32 bit browsers on a 64bit machines needs 32 bit Java. And for some reason the default shortcut to IE on a Windows 7 x64 is to the 32 bit version.

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006

Jadus posted:

I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me regarding SCCM and licensing.

We're looking at purchasing SCCM, primarily to use Forefront Endpoint Protection when it is released.

We would install SCCM on a single server, and be pushing out the antivirus to about 300 client machines, and 10 servers.

Does this mean that we would need 1 SCCM license, 10 server management licenses, and 300 client management licenses? That's going to be ridiculously expense in addition to the FEP costs, especially since I can't see much more value in SCCM that we aren't already getting from WSUS and WDS.

We may consider the System Center Virtual Machine Manager for a new VM environment, and SCOM would be nice to have too, so would we be better off considering the System Center Server Management Suite? If so, how does the licensing differ on this product?

What do you get 'extra' when you have both?

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006

Swink posted:

I'm preparing the images for our upgrade from XP > Win7. I'm using MDT2010 to prepare the images. How does inserting windows updates work? If I get the latest security update and insert it, will that be installed when I deploy the image, or will it install the update after the deployment, like it does with applications?

Edit - And is it worth doing? I'm starting to think I'll just let WSUS update the image once its deployed.

You can also download and inject .msu's straight into your .wim image.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744346(WS.10).aspx

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006

lol internet. posted:

This is totally off topic, but does anyone know how I'll be able to pull part numbers from HP laptops? (Elitebook series.) I'm able to pull model/serial through WMI but having issues with part number. I need this so I can do warranty checks on the whole company inventory.

Here's a snippet of what I use:

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\hp\InstrumentedBIOS")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _
"select * from HP_BIOSString",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems
if objItem.Name="SKU Number" then
strProductNumber = objItem.Value
End If
next

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah, took a while to figure that one out.

I have a script for checking the warrenty online, but it's pretty soiled in CapaInstaller scripting library functions. (I haven't made it my self)

I do have a version for Dell and Lenovo that I've made my self.

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006
I just got a request from a client. - Any input is appreciated.

The client had a computer stolen, but since his setup is HTTPS enabled, the stolen computer is currently in daily contact with the server. - It's public IP has been registered, and the authorities have been notified, but not much is happening in that department so far...

So the client wants to wipe the disk and all it's data, the sooner the better. (Lots of homegrown videos I guess)

I doubt there is a simple way of doing this in vb, so I'm looking for a 3 party tool (with a reasonable price tag) that runs from the command line. - Alternatively I will push a WinPe to the client, with a fixed start-up script to wipe the disk, but that will take a lot longer to make work.

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006

LoKout posted:

psexec.exe deltree /y

I don't really know what you're getting at with "his setup is HTTPS enabled". I'm assuming you have remote access to the system, which means you can do all kinds of stuff to the perp.

Remote wipe is not going to work very well without booting an alternative OS, though, since Windows will freak when you start deleting system files. It will likely take care of the questionable files - or you could target them directly with a batch file or remote access.

It might be better to change the desktop to an image saying you've contacted the authorities, call ### to the return the laptop no questions asked. Or just spy on the person for a while and report what he's doing to police.

Yeah, remote access. I have scheduled a teamviewer installation next time the computer will come online. - I'm using a (for you guys) unknown deployment system, but since I'm also an employee at this company, it wouldn't be kosher mentioning names here :)

I suggested the client something similar to the wallpaper switch, but he wants wipe..

For now, I will modify a Winpe image, and just wipe all partitions, unless someone comes up with a easy 3'rd part tool to do this while the system is online.

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006
So a coworker asked if I could stand in, and help with a simple task at one of his customers, as he was too busy. I should have said no...

Background history:

A customer reinstalled a mix of old HP DC5100 and DC7100 to Windows 8 Pro x86 this spring. They both have the same onboard Intel graphics adapter (82915G/GV/910GL Express) which Intel clearly states they haven't made (and don't intend to make) a Windows 7/8 capable driver for, so Windows 8 defaults to the "Microsoft Basic Display adapter", which was OK at the time.

6 months later, complaints starts rolling in about the screen resolution is locked (greyed out) at 1024x768, which I agree is a little low on a 24" monitor. Normally I'd say to bad, nothing I can do. But it turns out about 30% of the machines doesn't have the resolution locked and run 1280x1024 or 1600x1200.

I've pulled a report from their inventory and double checked that working and non working machine detect the device with same device ID, they are using the same Microsoft Basic display Adapter driver version. They are on same bios version also.

They run a mix of monitors, but again I have working and non working machines with the same monitor.

They have all been installed from the same base installation, with the same applications and the same WSUS updates installed afterwards.

I checked the registry for any settings or policies relating to locking these settings.

I was even on a working machine, that after a reboot stopped working?

Some "less old" HP DC7900 had same issue, but that was easily fixed by upgrading to the proper Intel HD Graphics driver.

I'll throw in a forum upgrade of your choice, to anyone who points me in the right direction, or maybe explain how Microsoft Basic Display Adapter determines what resolution to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

I'd guess based on this function calls in website it appears to be using some combination of DirectX capabilities probing + EDID.

http://ywjheart.wordpress.com/2014/04/19/modify-microsoft-basic-display-driver-to-get-a-better-resolution/

Might be worth moving some monitors around and seeing if the resolution follows them, if it's EDID? Or maybe see if monitor drives exist that might make the computer happier?

I just tried dumping EDID data from a non working machine with the monitor driver installed. The output says it supports 1440x900 @ 75 Hz. - Less than the Samsung specs says it's supposed to support, but still more than 1024x768.

But your wordpress link could be a possible solution/explanation, If the machines have been booted without a monitor connected, MBDD locks locks the resolution. Atleast I think thats what he is trying to say. - That could at least explain why a working machine suddenly locked the setting after a reboot, because I was moving the same monitor between several test machines.

I just tried installing the Vista refresh rate tool also. It doesn't work on Windows 8. Worth a shot though, thanks anyway.