Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I guess the SharePoint thread is archived but what's the best way to setup a simple Corporate Intranet? For example...

Would I want to have the whole company under one site collection and have the documents for HR, Sales, etc in separate document libraries, or different sub-sites then break inheritance or just completely different sub-sites or even completely different site collection for each department?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Symantec Endpoint protection might do what you're looking for, I've used it and it's ok but not nearly as good as Bitlocker.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ok, this is weird and I've reproduced this on a few machines...

code:
w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /update /reliable:yes /manualpeerlist:"EXAMPLE.COM"
What doesn't make any sense to me is no matter what value I put into manualpeerlist it always acts like it executes properly, what the hell?

My ideal script, what's irritating me is that even if the resync command fails it still gives a ERRORLEVEL of 0. I'm going to run this as a scheduled task but I need to be 100% certain the script won't fail, or lockup the server if it can't reach a timeserver, etc

code:
@echo off
w32tm /resync
if %ERRORLEVEL%== 0 goto :next
echo "Error. Exited with status: %ERRORLEVEL%
goto :end

:next "Successfully Synchronized Time"

:end
echo "Done".
EDIT

I think I am going to use this instead, I don't like parsing text but it seems to work...

code:
@echo off
w32tm /resync | find "sucessfully"
if %ERRORLEVEL%==0 goto :next
echo "Error! Errorlevel %ERRORLEVEL%"
goto :end

:next
echo "Successful. Errorlevel %ERRORLEVEL%"

:end
echo "Script Completed."

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 28, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Because the credentials won't be cached forever, what if a user forgets a password, mapped drives change, etc

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A cloud thread would be really interesting...

Zaepho posted:

The Transit bandwidth is the most expensive part of Azure. This is data you send out from your Azure VM. Don't do this. It's not worth it. We have a DC in Azure as a DR for our internal domain. It runs over $100/month to keep it up and running 24/7.

Go find a VAR and pick up proper licensing for Windows Server and your Client machines. Your problem will only get worse over as you grow. As an organization, it's time to put your big boy pants on and get licensing and best practice infrastructure under control.

How many users do you have? Although I can't imagine one users taking up more than a few kilobytes but what's the general rule of thumb here?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It depends,

Licensing is complicated and constantly changing but from the work I've done it's great solution for small businesses that have 20-50 users but when you start hitting a 100+ then cloud vs. on-prem then it's not as attractive especially if you already have an existing environment.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Do any real enterprise applications run, offically supported and not look out of place on Windows 8.1?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've been doing IT for nearly a decade and just noticed today that the Windows 7 Firewall disables ICMP by default, why?

I totally get that it's a potential security risk but your workstations aren't going to be accessible from the WAN not to mention you've probably got a security appliance in the mix - why? As an administrator, not being able to ping a potential endpoint is job essential.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Threats will come from the inside too, it's safer just to leave disabled. There are other ways to check if a workstation is responsive.

I just goggle'd IMCP Risk and it does now make a lot more sense but holy crap this make my job just so much harder. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How do you keep all the admin prompts away, especially for legacy programs? How do you granularly give access?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Am I missing something here...?

I'm under the impression in a typical Windows Domain the primary domain controller, controls the time for the entire domain even if it's a virtualized. If my PDC is pointed at a timeserver off the domain (something from http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi) and my host is a member of the PDC's domain it should be getting time from the PDC - correct?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone seen an RDP Session just stop refreshing after 30 seconds?

I'm logging from domain.a to a computer on domain.b with nothing special going on other than one Windows 7 64-bit VM over ESXi. Everything I'm working with has the latest updates and multiple reboots. I'm even a domain and local admin.

The connection works fine for 30-seconds but then stops refreshing. If click on a icon when it stopped refreshing I'll it hear open but not see anything. If I re-connect I'll see it open!

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 6, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Are you talking about having to repaint the window or just a reconnect dialog? Full screen or windowed? What does the network topology look like between domains? (IPsec, RDP through firewalls, etc.)

No reconnect dialog appears nor do I get disconnected. It just stop drawing. To my surprise there is a firewall between the two domains that I wasn't made told about what would I want to look for in there? Note, I'm able to RDP to other Windows VM's without any issue.

The RDP Session seems to last longer if I don't make the window full-screened.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How come, I'm able to map a share across to a separate domain to the standard C: Drive

code:
C:\Users\administrator>net use Z: \\10.201.24.208\C$ /user:domain\user
Enter the password for 'domain\user' to connect to '10.201.24.208':
The command completed successfully.
The tricky part is if I try to map my virtual optical drive and it refuses to do so...

code:
C:\Users\administrator>net use Z: \\10.201.24.208\F$ /user:domain\user
Enter the password for 'domain\user' to connect to '10.201.24.208':
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.
In advanced sharing, it's check as "Read" for everyone.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I put \\192.168.1.242 in explorer I'll see the $f drive but the net use command it'll fail? Weird.

[b]Update[/] It maps if I use just F and not F$... Well, it works now :shrug:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 10, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Calidus posted:

Is there a good "this is all the basic poo poo you need to know to create a new proper windows domain" anywhere? I am creating a new domain from scratch to repalce a really hosed up server 2003 domain(originally SBS) with Server 2012r2.

I did some quick googling but I haven't seen a good compilation or official one but maybe someone else could comment?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

What about joining all the computers to the domain but having people continue to log in locally? Computer-targeted GPO seems to have just about everything that User-targeted GPO does, so I can control the environment that way. Plus, every laptop computer name is matched to the person using it, so I can still assign computers to departmental OUs that way. I got a publisher certificate whitelist working in GPO, so even if the users have local admin privs, they can only execute apps from companies I've allowed. I would take admin privs away but users constantly need to elevate so they can run GoToMeeting/WebEx executables to meet with clients. It seems like this way even if there is a catastrophic domain failure, people can continue to work normally.

I'll talk some other people later but essentially you're going to run into a GPO you want to deploy but is only user-targeted.

I know with the security prompts for GoToMeeting/WebEx you basically need to find out what it's request access to and modify permissions appropriately. I've never done it myself, I've heard it sucks but that's the right way.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it true that every workstation on a domain must be rebooted with-in 90 days if all dcs are rebooted?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

EDIT Moving to a different thread

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is Schema, at least with-in the context of Active Directory analogous to a blueprint?

It seems like it is...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Hey everyone I'm rolling out sharepoint to replace file server. What a great idea! Anyway I still need to map lettered drives to various document libraries for staff that want to do that. The problem is that mapped drives won't take the Windows user authentication until the user opens the sharepoint site manually and then tries to access the drive. This happens every time they log on. Is that normal? Sharepoint site is added in IE security settings as "local intranet".

No, what did you add the site as in IE Security Settings?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is this Sharepoint Online or On-Prem?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's very weird... Try posting in the SharePoint Sub-reddit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Shouldn't you be using net use x: https

try net use with https

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 19, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

There was a SP thread but I think it got archived?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sharepoint may do literally everything you want but it's enormously complex. That's why Sharepoint devs/admin's make six figures.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

incoherent posted:

You don't want a sharepoint gig.

E: You have to be an expert on AD/Federation/IIS/Windows HA IN ADDITION TO being a dev.

That's not completely true. Aside from the standard Windows Server stuff you need to know AD, SQL Server, IIS and basic Windows crap because SharePoint only works well in IE.

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't OneDrive for Business being moved to something that isn't SharePoint in the next year or so anyway because it turns out that it's not great at storing an unlimited amount of data.

No poo poo, it's loving gross and SharePoint was never designed to hold large files but Microsoft markets it as a alternative to Dropbox which it absolutely is not.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Six figures? Please tell me about these jobs because I'd love one.

Have fun! http://www.indeed.com/q-Sharepoint-Administrator-$100,000-jobs.html

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

AAB posted:

Yep. I get that. I just know that the other main admin guy is gonna bitch that we can't do it as easily remotely anymore. I suppose this is really a convenience vs control.

How would it be any different?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

All of Microsoft's products were designed to work on-premise and never intended for the cloud. Unfortunately, the cloud came to Microsoft by surprise and they quickly rigged their solutions to work as a "cloud" product.

Not everything works that well, just yet.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

incoherent posted:

Fixed. The only good thing microsoft has ever built that scaled was IIS and exchange.

Haha,

That's about accurate, granted if you want good support you'll have a dedicated TAM and much better support.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it feasible to audit folders/files with Local Security Policy Object Access and Event Viewer?

I'm trying to test this out with only a few files/folders but dissecting Event Logs is a huge pain. The more research I do the more I come across products that view the event logs and makes them human readable.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Couldn't you make this two steps? Export the name of all the objects in a OU to a .csv such as ou1.csv then have ps read ou1.csv and move those objects?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there literally any good reason to have domain profile firewall enforced on Windows desktops?

If a virus or intrusion occurred on the domain and there's no domain firewall you're going to get hosed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

This is what we do. I'm sure managing a firewall in/out list is best practices, but it's a pain in the rear end and an administrative burden.

Odds are it's going to be attacking ports you already have to have open for Windows to work on a domain anyway, so I really don't see it as much of a preventative aid to be honest.

I'm sure it's an enormous administrative burden for small-IT Departments. The security gains aren't significant especially when you already have anti-virus and some kind of Network Security Appliance.

I could understand turning it off but I've been at hundreds of small businesses and it's usually not the hard to figure out what rule you need to modify for whatever application.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

devmd01 posted:

I'm working on setting up a group policy to create/enforce a couple of HKLM registry settings, specifically for Lync client-side conversation history settings. I'm pretty drat sure I have it set up correctly in group policy preferences under computer configuration, but it fails to apply in my test ou on Windows 7 and 8.1 machines:

Unfortunately my google-fu has failed me, since this is a fairly generic error. Any ideas? I'd rather not have to resort to a REG IMPORT startup script. The policy is below:

e: god dammit I figured it out right after I hit post, you don't need the hive name in the key path. Hopefully this helps someone else!

How did you figure out that's what it was?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Curious, what wasn't working when you had it enabled?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

In this case it wasn't affecting anything - I was troubleshooting office 365 proplus click-to-run install and disabling firewall was one of the troubleshooting steps. Went to disable firewall to find out domain profile was enforced by gpo.

It ended up not being related.

The gently caress? Was this an official Microsoft step?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone been able to use Skype for Business yet? I hope you can copy/paste screenshots into chat windows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is anyone using sharepoint online (o365) as a file server replacement? Would love to hear your experiences.

Sharepoint is designed for the storage of documents not 8gb backups of 2girlsandatroll.avi

This may have changed with the latest version but I wouldn't trust it without testing profusely.