Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Kynetx posted:

Holy crap, when did that happen? Does EPUB support DRM?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_room/consumer/computer_peripheral/e_book/release/41343.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Yeah, I dropped the file into the Content folder of the nook app, but no dice. I imagine there's a database somewhere that has to be updated.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Kynetx posted:

I have no experience with the Nook app, but the Kindle app for android won't display EPUB files if you place them in the Kindle books directory.

Neither the Kindle nor Kindle app read epub.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Hah, a year ago today.
Good lord, that is one schizophrenic company. I've always associated them with a stubborn adherence to unpopular proprietary standards like Betamax (better, but too strictly licensed to get popular), Minidisc (totally awesome format that should have been ubiquitous in portable audio and removable data storage) and Memory Stick (pretty decent format, but the industry has too many).

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

pienipple posted:

Neither the Kindle nor Kindle app read epub.

I think Calibre can translate it to a different format.

If that doesn't work, you can try the format conversion service offered by Amazon by sending it to "<kindleusername>@free.kindle.com".

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
To throw my 0.02 in there, I bought a Nook today and have been finishing up The Color of Magic on it, which I had read most of as a paperback. It's really an interesting experience reading on this. Something feels... I don't know, wrong about it, like I'm cheating on my paper books. But it's comfortable, easy to use, easy on the eyes, it's fantastic!

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
As much as I love putting my books on a electric medium that I can carry everywhere with me, there is something of a sensation that is missing from holding the actual books in your hand.

If there was some way they could have made them two screens so you read it like a book that would be helped. =/

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

JammyLammy posted:

As much as I love putting my books on a electric medium that I can carry everywhere with me, there is something of a sensation that is missing from holding the actual books in your hand.

I disagree, I don't feel that anything is lacking. The value of books, to me, has nothing to do with the print date or binding.

Liberty_MI
Jun 7, 2002

You can protect yourself from Radioactive Fallout... get the facts! From your Civil Defense Director.
Anyone in Canada have the Kindle v3? I have been looking at them and because i am in such a backward country 3g wise, I dont know if there is much benefit in spending the extra $50 for the 3g connectivity.

A few weeks a year I travel to the states, and being able to check things here and there (wiki, wikitravel, email etc) would be pretty handy when at an airport, or elsewhere. I have read that you cant surf in canada though, I am an american so i can get a kindle in the USA with my US amazon account, but I am not sure if they dont work because they are Canadian or just because Canada wont allow you to browse here.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Liberty_MI posted:

Anyone in Canada have the Kindle v3? I have been looking at them and because i am in such a backward country 3g wise, I dont know if there is much benefit in spending the extra $50 for the 3g connectivity.

A few weeks a year I travel to the states, and being able to check things here and there (wiki, wikitravel, email etc) would be pretty handy when at an airport, or elsewhere. I have read that you cant surf in canada though, I am an american so i can get a kindle in the USA with my US amazon account, but I am not sure if they dont work because they are Canadian or just because Canada wont allow you to browse here.

I have the fi-fi only Kindle 3 and it is absolutely worth every penny, and having experienced the shittyness of their so called browser I dont feel I'm missing anything without the 3G.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
This is pretty interesting to me. The last 6 books I've read were all on a myTouch slide from T-Mobile.

It's honestly, way more acceptable than I expected. I prefer it to actual books, if only for the advantage that it is light, and one hand can hold it. But, it has also made me lust for a real ebook reader. Why do that if I'm happy with the android device (and about to get one with a bigger screen?). I dunno. I guess I was more than happy with physical books until I used the android Kindle app, too. Now, I can't imagine reading any other way.

At the moment, I like the Kindle, but that has something to do with the fact that I've already purchased Kindle books. That said, I'm not buying any more until I pick my next reader, because I think they all deserve some real consideration from me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr.48 posted:

I have the fi-fi only Kindle 3 and it is absolutely worth every penny, and having experienced the shittyness of their so called browser I dont feel I'm missing anything without the 3G.

I really don't get why anyone buys the 3G Kindle unless they don't own a computer at all or something, but to each their own. I can't imagine needing a new book RIGHT THE gently caress NOW or needing to access the internet on a really really bad browser and being away from a wireless network my desktop or netbook or smartphone, which I never am anyway.

Actually I don't think I've even used amazon to transfer books at all. :love: Calibre :love:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

IRQ posted:

I really don't get why anyone buys the 3G Kindle unless they don't own a computer at all or something, but to each their own. I can't imagine needing a new book RIGHT THE gently caress NOW or needing to access the internet on a really really bad browser and being away from a wireless network my desktop or netbook or smartphone, which I never am anyway.

Actually I don't think I've even used amazon to transfer books at all. :love: Calibre :love:

I bought the Kindle 3G. I don't have a smart phone so having access to my email from anywhere was attractive. The browser isn't that bad for simple tasks (e-mail, wikipedia, news articles). I'm sure it could also come in handy while traveling. Plus it's only $50 more.

Liberty_MI
Jun 7, 2002

You can protect yourself from Radioactive Fallout... get the facts! From your Civil Defense Director.

Rated PG-34 posted:

I bought the Kindle 3G. I don't have a smart phone so having access to my email from anywhere was attractive. The browser isn't that bad for simple tasks (e-mail, wikipedia, news articles). I'm sure it could also come in handy while traveling. Plus it's only $50 more.

Yeah thats where i am at, im not going to browse the forums on it. but for travelling would be cool. But then again, there are dunkin donuts everywhere, so .. hell i dont know. Im thinking spending the extra cash on books might be wiser..

What cases did you guys get?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Liberty_MI posted:

The official leather case is great and easy to attach. There are complaints that the elastic band comes off, but I have had no problems so far, it seems securely attached. Most likely this comes from people manhandling and stretching the strap beyond its intention.
What annoyed me the most was that Amazon.com has a 2-3 week back order on the black leather case. However, I went to my local target and they had 4 of them in stock so I bought it there.

EDIT: looks like they got it back in stock with no delays anymore.
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather-Display-Latest-Generation/dp/B003DZ163E

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 21, 2010

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
That is one thing I'm jealous about the other e-readers over the Sony Daily Edition. You can get some really nice cases to customize it. :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Liberty_MI posted:

I have this case for my Kindle DX. I love it because the Kindle snaps into it rather than being held in by straps, and the closure is magnetic so there's no elastic strap to worry about either.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Liberty_MI posted:

I got a Chinese knockoff imitation leather case from Ebay. It had that fake leather chemical stink for the first day or so, but after that it was perfectly fine. And for $10 shipped it was a quite a deal compared to the Amazon ones.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Amazon: 14-day lending coming to Kindle “later this year”

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...year%E2%80%9D/1

There goes one of the nook's selling points.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

IRQ posted:

I use the 3G on my Kindle every day to study during my downtime at work, check weather, look things up on Wikipedia/Google, and occasionally check train schedules. 50 USD is cheap as hell for lifetime 3G access, and conversely I can't imagine wasting so much more money on a smartphone with data package.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ara posted:

I use the 3G on my Kindle every day to study during my downtime at work, check weather, look things up on Wikipedia/Google, and occasionally check train schedules. 50 USD is cheap as hell for lifetime 3G access, and conversely I can't imagine wasting so much more money on a smartphone with data package.

I get unlimited everything for $30/month.

With the same tremendous suckitude that is Sprint's network that the Kindle 3G has. Thing is, I'd pay for that either way every month (what the hell use is a phone with no email?!), even if it was twice as much, whereas I saved $50 once not getting it on the kindle.

I guess it's just a matter of what people carry with them anyway. To me it was a very clear waste of money, but if you have a dumbphone or something but carry your kindle everywhere I guess it makes sense. I don't see how anyone could do that but it's all good.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

IRQ posted:

I get unlimited everything for $30/month.

With the same tremendous suckitude that is Sprint's network that the Kindle 3G has. Thing is, I'd pay for that either way every month (what the hell use is a phone with no email?!), even if it was twice as much, whereas I saved $50 once not getting it on the kindle.

I guess it's just a matter of what people carry with them anyway. To me it was a very clear waste of money, but if you have a dumbphone or something but carry your kindle everywhere I guess it makes sense. I don't see how anyone could do that but it's all good.

Yeah, it's really a case-by-case thing, which is why it doesn't really make sense for people to ask which one is better. I have the absolute cheapest phone possible (like 15 USD/month) which in my country includes free unlimited email, so I haven't really seen it as worthwhile to get a smartphone. If I were in the US with its terrible SMS messages on regular phones, I would probably have ended up with a smartphone and a wifi Kindle by now too. Also I use trains or buses every day, so I'm never without my Kindle. And I've never actually been out of 3G range since I bought the thing, so I guess my coverage here must be better than Sprint.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Cartoon Man posted:

Amazon: 14-day lending coming to Kindle “later this year”

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...year%E2%80%9D/1

There goes one of the nook's selling points.

14 days and only once to the same user is rather short. If it's a book of a decent length, you'll really have to be committed to read it in those 2 weeks.

Does the Nook have a similar limit?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I don't follow Nook news much so I don't know if it's changed, but when it was first released, Nook's lending was 14 days, and you could only ever loan out each book to one person.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus it's up to the publisher if the book can even BE lent out, so in other words no one will do it because it seems like a good idea.

Awesome in theory, will be poo poo in execution.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Awesome in theory, will be poo poo in execution.

This basically sums up the entire DRMed ebook system so it's not really surprising.

Martial Fur
Mar 31, 2008
I WANT ALL PUPPIES AND KITTENS TO DIE - THEY ARE WORTHLESS COMPARED TO ME
I'm making this post from my kindle (wifi version). The web browser isn't great but then the browser is listed as an experimental feature. As far as books are concerned it might take a bit of getting used to but you'll adapt. Plus, you save a ton of money. Apparently some people download books like they do mp3s or movies.

Martial Fur fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 25, 2010

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I look at it this way.

If you want something basic, dull, and simple to use: Get a Sony

If you want something that you can download books wirelessly, but only has in house support: Kindle.

If you want something that can download books wirelessly, has in house support and can put epub and pdf files on it: Nook.

I suggest you wait a while, however. The supposed Color Nook is being announced tomorrow.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

screenwritersblues posted:

If you want something that you can download books wirelessly, but only has in house support: Kindle.

If you want something that can download books wirelessly, has in house support and can put epub and pdf files on it: Nook.

"If you're too dumb to use the internet: Nook"

If not, Calibre and whatever form factor you like more because format and support don't matter at all.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I've owned two different Sony Readers: the 505 and the 700. The glossy screen on the 700 rendered the device almost unusable unless the lighting in the room was just right. I will never buy another Sony Reader again. The 505 was excellent, but the screen cracked due to an accident, and I wanted to upgrade to something new.

About a year ago, I purchased a Nook. The thing is sturdy as all hell. I've dropped it several times, and the screen isn't even scratched. It feels nice in my hands, and the latest firmware makes page turns a speedy affair. I've played around with an early version of the Kindle and didn't like it. The device feels flimsy, and I don't really want a keyboard taking up the lower quarter of the device. I'm not sure what the newer Kindles feel like, but I continue to hear horror stories of Kindles getting cracked in backpacks and purses.

The Nook does what I want, and it does it well.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003
And the Nook Color has been announced: http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/28/barnes.and.noble.to.approve.nook.color.apps.itself/

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
"The company justified the curbs as it was deliberately trying to get away from a full multi-purpose device like the iPad or the Samsung Galaxy Tab.Apps are meant to "extend the reading experience" rather than change the functions, Barnes & Noble said. Non-reading apps like Netflix are likely to pass, but the company is at a minimum looking to have apps optimized for the seven-inch touchscreen."

It seems a bit stupid to deny non-reading related multi-purpose apps because "you are not meant to enjoy using your nook in that manner".

Put another way, why should owners of a nook be forced to adhere to B&N's view that "Apps are meant to "extend the reading experience" rather than change the functions".

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My dream product is a tablet with a color touch screen, 3g, about as thin and lightweight as a kindle 3rd gen, 6-7 inch screen, and costs around $300.

Otherwise when I want to read books, the b/w e-ink screen is much better.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
The Android nerd in me really wants to get ahold of one of those and throw Froyo on there. It sounds like the hardware is pretty beefy so it should be able to run anything an Android phone can run easily. I wonder how difficult it's going to be to root it though.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Cartoon Man posted:

My dream product is a tablet with a color touch screen, 3g, about as thin and lightweight as a kindle 3rd gen, 6-7 inch screen, and costs around $300.

Otherwise when I want to read books, the b/w e-ink screen is much better.

I was going to say go with the nook color but then realized it didn't have 3g. 4 out of 5 isn't bad though I guess.

kaylakayla
Jan 24, 2010
The Kobo has the coolest name.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
My Lovecraft book is now available on Kindle and Nook, for those who own those particular devices (does anyone actually own a Nook?).

I'm working to get it on the iPad too, but I can tell you that from a publisher's point of view, Amazon and Barnes and Noble are as easy as can be to work with, and Apple is a huge rear end in a top hat about it. For one thing, you have to be approved to even start the forms for Apple, except the approval (based on the fact that an approval email was sent to me three seconds later) is automatic and just adds another useless screen to fill out. Then they want to tie it to an iTunes account with credit card instead of a bank account like any sane company. Then you seem to have to be using a Mac to upload anything to the store.

Considering that there's Nook and Kindle apps for the iPad, I'm not sure what the incentive is for small publishers to work with all that bullshit.

Drusy
Nov 16, 2010

If you want sugar and spice - go buy a cake.
I'm not up on all of the technical aspects (platforms etc.) but I did a lot of in person browsing before choosing the Kindle. One thing I noticed between the Nook and the Kindle was basic functionality of the hardware. At the store the Nook's paging buttons were cracked because it had been used so much (the Nook has a solid plastic case). The Kindle separated their buttons in anticipation of this problem. I have the Kindle and I love it. The Nook color looks interesting though.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I owned a 1st generation kindle for about a year, and when it died (3 weeks after the 1-year warranty expired), I decided to go for the nook.

I love the nook so much more than the kindle. It's so much easier to convert books and load content, and being able to add memory (just put an 8 GB card in the nook) is awesome. I like that if the battery craps out, I can just go to B&N, buy a new battery, and pop it in.

My hands are small, and the nook's narrower profile works better for me. The page turn speed is comparable to the kindle, but there is a firmware update coming out later this month that will make it faster.

There are other updates that will be included, such as improved search, password protection, and the ability to sync the nook with other devices.

Also, the new update promises "customized B&N library organization", which some have speculated might mean file folders (Man I hope so).

Overall, I'm much happier with the nook than the kindle.

*Disclaimer - I did not have calibre when I had the kindle, and so had to put all my books on the kindle via email, which was a major pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I just bought a kindle 3G after pondering between it and the Nook. If B&N had released an upgraded, e-ink reader I would have considered it, but I don't want a tablet PC, I want an e-book reader. I've read one book already, and working on another, and it's very enjoyable. The web browser is definitely sketchy, but functional for things like e-mail or wikipedia. I'm mostly worried B&N will run out of capital and drop the nook, and with the annoying DRM they put on (I bought two books from their store that I can't transfer, while I was transitioning from paper books) if they do ever stop supporting the device all the books purchased lose their usefulness.

• Locked thread