Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I loved my kindle up until my washing machine flooded the flat and it ended up drowning. I replaced it with a cheap second hand kobo, which is all I could afford on short notice / needing a new book reader that very night. If unlimited was available in the UK and had a decent selection it would have won me back. As it is, I'll carry on putting up with my kobo for the time being.

I will probably go for the paperwhite when I come back to Amazon's embrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Masonity posted:

I loved my kindle up until my washing machine flooded the flat and it ended up drowning. I replaced it with a cheap second hand kobo
...maybe spring for a coffee table, too?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

WoG posted:

...maybe spring for a coffee table, too?

We don't know how much water flooded. Plus, we don't know where he left it nor where the washing machine is.
It could be up stairs and the water dripped from the top onto his desk.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

WoG posted:

Indeed; I haven't even looked past the headline, because I'm sure it'll be the same selection as the kindle owners' lending library. I have prime and an old kindle lying around, yet haven't even bothered looking for a free book in many months.

Well to be fair it seems like they officially moved all most of the Lending Library stuff entirely over to Kindle Unlimited, so there is no conflict anymore :what:

I found out about this because I went to check out my book for the month and of the list that I compiled (something that Amazon doesn't really make easy) only about 20% were still borrow-able through the Library. Admittedly I had cherry picked from some of the few non-self-published books, so it might only be those that they moved. Unless they are just having issues integrating both services at once, it seems like a good deal have been moved over. Of course it is actually kind of hard to tell because it looks like in cases where they are both they are currently only advertising Unlimited on the site.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Oh snap. What's the deal with this kindle voyage I just got an email for? Could it be? An ereader with no screen swiping again? 200 seems a bit much though.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 18, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Oh snap. What's the deal with this kindle voyage I just got an email for? Could it be? An ereader with no screen swiping again? 200 seems a bit much though.

I'm really surprised that they announced this without much news at all. They also upgraded the cheapest Kindle ($79) to have touch, but it's infrared, not capacitive touch.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Can't really see many reasons to spend $199 on the Voyage over the $119 Paperwhite to be honest. I've never had an issue with the page-turning on the Touch so those side-buttons aren't terribly important, and I don't think the resolution of the text has ever been a problem for me either. Anything else that I'm missing?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The voyage is supposed to have a glass screen yet feel more paper like than the plastic screens on the current kindles. And there's an option for 3g if you're into that.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I like the sound of the Voyage quite a bit. I'm regretting not holding out another month before replacing my lost Paperwhite. It certainly doesn't look worth an upgrade, but if I were buying from scratch, the Voyage looks very tempting.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
why would they put glass on it? I feel like the resolution increase, light sensor, and page turn features are nice, but glass seems like a step back durability wise. I carry my kindle with me and it gets dropped or sat on quite a bit.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

pigz posted:

why would they put glass on it? I feel like the resolution increase, light sensor, and page turn features are nice, but glass seems like a step back durability wise. I carry my kindle with me and it gets dropped or sat on quite a bit.

Yeah, I've dropped my Paperwhite onto concrete from 5' maybe 15 times and it still works perfectly, just a few dings and a tiny scratch on the screen.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I'd still take the aura hd, and this one's more expensive, to boot.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

WoG posted:

I'd still take the aura hd, and this one's more expensive, to boot.

I was looking at the aura but I just would rather have an ereader without this drat touch screen page turn poo poo. The voyage looks better for me in that way.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I was looking at the aura but I just would rather have an ereader without this drat touch screen page turn poo poo. The voyage looks better for me in that way.

Yeah I ended up giving away my Paperwhite because I hate touch screen page turning.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Nice to see that someone realises that making everything touch sensitive isn't always the best option.

quote:

PagePress allows you to turn the page without lifting a finger. Simply apply pressure to the side of the device to turn the page, and PagePress will provide a silent haptic response for consistent and immediate feedback.

is quite a long-winded way of saying 'we brought back buttons' though. 'PagePress(TM)'!!!!

The Voyage seems like exactly what I wanted, but that price hike seems a bit much.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I thought the cheapo kindle would be safe from the touch screen invasion. If this glossy glass screen business is as annoying as I'm assuming it is, then every kindle model has now found a way to annoy me.

I guess I can just hope that the Voyage screen won't be a scrath-a-thon and that my Kindle Keyboard will last until a price drop.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

moflika posted:

Ugh, I thought the cheapo kindle would be safe from the touch screen invasion. If this glossy glass screen business is as annoying as I'm assuming it is, then every kindle model has now found a way to annoy me.

I guess I can just hope that the Voyage screen won't be a scrath-a-thon and that my Kindle Keyboard will last until a price drop.

Where are you seeing glossy? The Kindle Voyage has an anti-glare matte finish on the glass. Glossy finishes don't really work for monochrome displays anyway.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Junkenstein posted:

Nice to see that someone realises that making everything touch sensitive isn't always the best option.

is quite a long-winded way of saying 'we brought back buttons' though. 'PagePress(TM)'!!!!

The Voyage seems like exactly what I wanted, but that price hike seems a bit much.

It looks pretty drat expensive. But I'll check out some user reviews first. My keyboard kindle is getting on in years now.. Amazon replaced it for free twice after I broke or dropped it. I suppose I should at least buy a new one from them.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Where are you seeing glossy? The Kindle Voyage has an anti-glare matte finish on the glass. Glossy finishes don't really work for monochrome displays anyway.

Yeah, I imagine the glass is similar to that on the Kobo Aura. There really isn't any more glare than with e-readers in general. However, the glass does attract fingerprints a lot easier, but just wipe them off every now and then and it's no big deal.

Zat fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 19, 2014

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

You got me there. I threw in the glossy part without thinking. :)

My kindle falls all the time from when I fall asleep, so the "glass" part is really what makes me nervous. My K3/KK is pretty haggard as is. I ranted about this the last time the upgrades came around, but all I want is a solid brick I can read from! I would gladly pay Voyage prices or more for a solid Kindle with aluminum parts that is built to last. The bare bones model was cheap enough to get me to stop caring, but then they went and made it touch-screen. :mad:

Voyage could still be cool though!

moflika fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 19, 2014

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I'm glad this Voyage model has nothing super fancy like color e-ink. My 2nd gen Paperwhite is still fine for me.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Looks like the voyage is still going to have a touchscreen to turn pages even with the buttons. No way to disable it. gently caress.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
I like the sound of the language and dictionary updates, but that is more of a software thing than hardware-related. Now I just have to hope that they don't limit that update to the newer models.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Looks like the voyage is still going to have a touchscreen to turn pages even with the buttons. No way to disable it. gently caress.

Is it that hard not to swipe? Like are you constantly mashing your hand at the screen while having a seizure while reading or something

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

Is it that hard not to swipe? Like are you constantly mashing your hand at the screen while having a seizure while reading or something

Personally I'm fine with touch-screen controls, but surely you realize it only takes the tiniest of touches to turn pages; you don't have to actually swipe the screen. And sometimes you might touch the screen by accident.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I do find the touchscreen flakey, but not nearly to the point where I'd pay through the nose to get rid of it. You don't really need it that much when reading.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

moflika posted:

You got me there. I threw in the glossy part without thinking. :)

My kindle falls all the time from when I fall asleep, so the "glass" part is really what makes me nervous. My K3/KK is pretty haggard as is. I ranted about this the last time the upgrades came around, but all I want is a solid brick I can read from! I would gladly pay Voyage prices or more for a solid Kindle with aluminum parts that is built to last. The bare bones model was cheap enough to get me to stop caring, but then they went and made it touch-screen. :mad:

Voyage could still be cool though!

Eh plastic may actually be better than aluminum if you're worried about drops and dings.

But yeah I like to hold the kindle in one hand and it's hard to do with no keyboard area or being able to touch the screen in any way. Also most implementations of haptic feedback are terrible and are far inferior to regular old buttons. Who cares if buttons eventually wear out, they only have to outlast the batteries.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Not really getting the touchscreen hate; the only time it's a hassle is when I'm falling asleep and my thumb accidentally presses on the screen. That's usually my cue to turn back a page and then put away my kindle for the night. Besides that, I can't really think of any other situation that would make the touchscreen a major problem (especially one that would be worth paying an extra $100 for).

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -
Kobo on android is good, especially if you have more than one device, say a phone and a tablet. With wifi you can pick up the other device and start reading where you left off on the previous device if needed.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Heads up - Amazon just launched a new promo where you get a touch screen Kindle and 6mo of "Kindle Unlimited" for $99. Were unlimited more comprehensive I might go for it but I just copped a 2nd gen Paper White at Best Buy for $100 (for future readers, BB is usually cheaper than Amazon for some reason).

I really wish someone would come up with a viable alternative to Amazon in this area but Scribd and Oyster don't support e-readers so gently caress them.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

False posted:

Heads up - Amazon just launched a new promo where you get a touch screen Kindle and 6mo of "Kindle Unlimited" for $99. Were unlimited more comprehensive I might go for it but I just copped a 2nd gen Paper White at Best Buy for $100 (for future readers, BB is usually cheaper than Amazon for some reason).

I really wish someone would come up with a viable alternative to Amazon in this area but Scribd and Oyster don't support e-readers so gently caress them.

The $100 Paperwhite BB deal - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-high-resolution-6-4gb-black/7769102.p?id=1219289483632&skuId=7769102

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I have a Kindle, I don't remember the model name; it's the one without a keyboard but without touchscreen, it still has the buttons on the side.

I'm travelling to NY this week and I was thinking about upgrading it; I was just thinking about getting a paperwhite (they were upgraded in October, weren't they?) but I just noticed they put out a new model out. Is the Voyage worth it, or should I just stick with the PW?

Cheers.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm travelling to NY this week and I was thinking about upgrading it; I was just thinking about getting a paperwhite (they were upgraded in October, weren't they?) but I just noticed they put out a new model out. Is the Voyage worth it, or should I just stick with the PW?

Cheers.

The differences between paperwhite and voyage are a higher-res screen, adaptive light, and pressure-sensitive page buttons on the edge.

The adaptive light: who cares? Either it's bright enough around not to need it, or it's dark enough that you only need it on low. I keep the light on my kobo at like 10%, and never need to turn it up (or off).
The pagepress buttons: up to you. I went from a kindle keyboard with buttons to a kobo aura hd without, and don't miss them, but some people hate touching the screen.
Screen resolution: You'll have to take a look in person to compare. From looking briefly, I thought it was only noticeable on very close inspection, and didn't seem worth +$80.

If money's not a concern, sure, the voyage is better, but "worth it" is subjective. (Myself, I'd get an aura h2o. Larger screen trumps all.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have a Kindle, I don't remember the model name; it's the one without a keyboard but without touchscreen, it still has the buttons on the side.

Cheers.

The Voyage's higher resolution makes handling PDFs a lot nicer, and I really like the page press buttons on mine.

But the Voyage isn't going to be in stock again until March 20, so if you want a new kindle to use this week, you'd have to order a Paperwhite which is in stock now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

WoG posted:

If money's not a concern, sure, the voyage is better, but "worth it" is subjective. (Myself, I'd get an aura h2o. Larger screen trumps all.)

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Voyage's higher resolution makes handling PDFs a lot nicer, and I really like the page press buttons on mine.

But the Voyage isn't going to be in stock again until March 20, so if you want a new kindle to use this week, you'd have to order a Paperwhite which is in stock now.

Yeah, I don't think I'll go for the Voyage; sounds like quite a bit more money for not so many benefits. The screen resolution would be nice, but I don't use mine for PDFs so it may be end up being moot.

I'll check out the Aura H2O, but for now I'll go for the paperwhite.

Cheers.

• Locked thread