Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

orange juche posted:

Super sexy looking rims, but those are 10 inch and 11 inch rims front and back vs the stock 9.5 and 10.5 on the Mach 1. I'm an idiot when it comes to running wider rims and tires, will I need a spacer or anything? The page doesn't mention anything special for fitment, so I think not, but I'm not sure.

I'm running 19*10 on all 4 corners up from stock GTwheels. You should be able to run any of the stock fitments iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

orange juche posted:

Ugh I really don't want to back it down to 19x10 square though, the car will absolutely break loose since Ford already undersizes the tires for the Mustang, and I don't want to be an even bigger danger to random pedestrians.

I love my GT with 235 series all-seasons on 8" wide wheels! With 3.55 rear end plus the low gearing on the 10-spd auto, it's like hey maybe i'll turn off the traction control tod--OH gently caress

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How did you get the shift indicator to work in what I assume is a 10 speed? I thought that you couldn't even enable that poo poo in forscan without it being a manual.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

orange juche posted:

How did you get the shift indicator to work in what I assume is a 10 speed? I thought that you couldn't even enable that poo poo in forscan without it being a manual.

It's a GT with a 6 spd :confuoot:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

toplitzin posted:

It's a GT with a 6 spd :confuoot:

Ah it has the PRNDS indicator across the bottom unless you're saying you have the 6speed auto from pre-2018.

If its a stick why in the hell does it have the auto indicators on the display lol

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

orange juche posted:

Ah it has the PRNDS indicator across the bottom unless you're saying you have the 6speed auto from pre-2018.

If its a stick why in the hell does it have the auto indicators on the display lol

Correct. I have a '16 GT.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I absolutely love my digital dash, but I did it back when you could piece it together for around a grand. Paying $2k+ for a ready to go kit is pretty drat spendy.

You can still do it cheap if you have patience to troll eBay for a cheap used cluster.

https://i.imgur.com/YoacXe5.mp4

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66hItt--q9g

dude actually spun his Mustang going in a straight line

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

orange juche posted:

Super sexy looking rims, but those are 10 inch and 11 inch rims front and back vs the stock 9.5 and 10.5 on the Mach 1. I'm an idiot when it comes to running wider rims and tires, will I need a spacer or anything? The page doesn't mention anything special for fitment, so I think not, but I'm not sure.

E: actually when the rim requires a spacer it specifies it in bold, along with the mm size of the spacer. That said I might step up to 19x11 inch all square tires, or back it down to 19x10s all around, because I'm not made entirely of money and staggered setups are expensive since staggered tires live half as long.

Ugh I really don't want to back it down to 19x10 square though, the car will absolutely break loose since Ford already undersizes the tires for the Mustang, and I don't want to be an even bigger danger to random pedestrians.

I swear I saw a Steeda video where they basically said they made these for the Mach 1, but I can't find it now. Either way, since they are lighter than the Mach 1 handling package wheels this is what got me interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqSmwKBXtrU

There's a bunch of other options too if you want to stagger, different sizes, etc. https://www.steeda.com/s550-mustang-steeda-trident-wheels

I started tracking it recently just stock, but once I'm pretty comfortable I'm going to upgrade to those with stickier tires, and probably this as well: https://www.steeda.com/mustang-magneride-lowering-springs_555-8243 - people are claiming like 1-2 second better times with those with little difference on the street. Seems like an exaggeration but for $400 why not.

Dinurth fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 13, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
That digital dash is pretty amazing. Not sure I wanna spend what it costs to get it, but I do miss the digital speedometer that the regular dash is more than capable of providing but for some reason doesn’t.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Well Played Mauer posted:

That digital dash is pretty amazing. Not sure I wanna spend what it costs to get it, but I do miss the digital speedometer that the regular dash is more than capable of providing but for some reason doesn’t.

You could always upgrade to an 18+ analog cluster, those have a digital speedo and are muuuuch cheaper. Hell I’d sell you mine but if/when I sell the car I’d want to return to stock because of how much the digital dash is worth.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I'd be pretty interested in that, actually. It's one of those really minor earflicks that you constantly notice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66hItt--q9g

dude actually spun his Mustang going in a straight line

Not sure if this is what happened but Unintentionally smoking the tires when I floor it at highway speeds is absolutely one of the reasons I haven’t upgraded the supercharger on my Mustang.

I’ll still probably upgrade the supercharger at some point tho.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?
So I spent money I probably shouldn't have and bought a car I didn't need. So now I guess I'm one of you. 2014 GT.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BrianM87 posted:

So I spent money I probably shouldn't have and bought a car I didn't need. So now I guess I'm one of you. 2014 GT.

9 years old and in great condition. Looks very clean.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hell yeah. Do a burnout and hit your first pedestrian.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Car sat for most of the winter but I've been fixing random crap the last month or so. Pinion angle was all hosed up, so it at the seal and was vibrating under heavy throttle, replaced the Chinese lower control arms, found some vacuum leaks, fixed the idle, replaced some pulleys, leaking coolant hoses, got a new set of wheels and tires, stuck some cats on it because it was so loving loud and sounded like rear end, lots of random stuff to fix still but it drives decent now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8lH7Lmr7e8

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Anyone else run into the p300/p308 codes? Everything online is saying intake manifold, called steeda this morning and ordered the gt350 intake manifold, and throttle body.

While I have everything off should I just go ahead and lockout the IMRC? About how much would that hurt my lower rpm power?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fps_bill posted:

Anyone else run into the p300/p308 codes? Everything online is saying intake manifold, called steeda this morning and ordered the gt350 intake manifold, and throttle body.

While I have everything off should I just go ahead and lockout the IMRC? About how much would that hurt my lower rpm power?

Which car?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Wrar posted:

Which car?

2017 mustang gt

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

fps_bill posted:

P0300 is "Multiple Misfire" and P0308 is "Misfire, Cylinder 8". Pull plug #8 and check if it's carboned to gently caress, maybe the plug is fouled. could also be bad plug wires, or a fucky coil, or injectors. Plugs and wires would be the easiest things to check first.

It could also be something with the intake manifold like mentioned, if you yanked your manifold off you'd pretty readily be able to see if there was damage to the manifold, unless it's like some hairline crack poo poo. Are you running a tune or something?

E: a way to test for if the manifold is cracked/damaged is to get it idling and then shoot starting fluid around the gasket and see if the idle changes or if it stumbles.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 8, 2023

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You would be giving up a fair bit of low end torque and without a tune it'll probably get cranky. This is not a great approach to troubleshooting. You need to focus on the actual problem. Checking the plug and coil are the next correct steps like OJ above suggests.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Offbeat question: Do any of you own an S500 in high-elevation locales? I'm thinking about moving the family to Colorado Springs in the next year or so. How does a big-rear end V8 handle air that thin? And what about winter driving? I'm assuming the latter is "lol see you in April," but the closest I've come to winter driving is New York City in a FWD Audi A4.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Well Played Mauer posted:

Offbeat question: Do any of you own an S500 in high-elevation locales? I'm thinking about moving the family to Colorado Springs in the next year or so. How does a big-rear end V8 handle air that thin? And what about winter driving? I'm assuming the latter is "lol see you in April," but the closest I've come to winter driving is New York City in a FWD Audi A4.

Handles it just fine, you'd be down on power, but not a terrible amount, it won't make it run rich or lean or anything, the ECU can compensate for altitude. Don't run 85 octane fuel in any of your vehicles. It will be available, just don't use it, apparently it exists for people who have carbureted engines. Run 87 or 91 octane.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 22, 2023

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
As for dealing with winter, you'll want appropriate tires, and when the snow gets tall you might not be able to use the car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Just put a turbo on it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Factory (twin) turbo non-diesel V8s are... Rare.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

My ac quit working.........again.....last time a rodent chewed my ac harness, gonna look into that this weekend I guess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wrar posted:

As for dealing with winter, you'll want appropriate tires, and when the snow gets tall you might not be able to use the car.

If they salt the roads...it will eat the car. You can fluid film and underbody spray but that crap will still manage to rust parts of your car you didn't know exist.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Ended up grabbing the Mach 1 Handling package wheels and some Cup 2's, made a huge difference on the track.

Imgur destroyed the quality of these but a few shots from COTA;

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

toplitzin posted:

Double post: I pulled the trigger on the full Street PP parts. Street kit, bearings, control arms, strut tower braces.

Any progress on this? Going to pull the trigger myself

Edit: closest “ASE certified” (needed to retain warranty) place that will touch my car is 80 miles away, hope their quote isn’t insane.

Edit2: their quote was 10 hours of work ~2,200$

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 20, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to find a decent first gen S197, and it's like, in other parts of the country original owners are selling their cherished Mustang after decades of careful ownership, whereas where I live people are posting"lol I dunno" and seemingly had to sneak photos of the car without someone else noticing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm currently the high (and only) bidder on this Black Mustang GT with a manual trans and premium interior.

I've never bought a car on ebay and I'm a little leery of buying anything I can't test drive or at least see running myself, but pickings are slim here and I haven't seen a car with these specific options in a month of watching local ads.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Any progress on this? Going to pull the trigger myself

Edit: closest “ASE certified” (needed to retain warranty) place that will touch my car is 80 miles away, hope their quote isn’t insane.

Edit2: their quote was 10 hours of work ~2,200$

Been busy driving it this summer and waiting on parking it for the season to tear it apart.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm currently the high (and only) bidder on this Black Mustang GT with a manual trans and premium interior.

I've never bought a car on ebay and I'm a little leery of buying anything I can't test drive or at least see running myself, but pickings are slim here and I haven't seen a car with these specific options in a month of watching local ads.

Those tail lights are tragic and would seriously make me question anything else the PO(s) have touched

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

opengl posted:

Those tail lights are tragic and would seriously make me question anything else the PO(s) have touched

I agree, and also the center console knobs are also pretty tasteless, but I don't see any mention of under the hood mods or anything. One that was all stock would be ideal, but if I'm being honest I'm just ready to buy. I like that this one is going to have maintenance records for the last hundred thousand miles. Hoping spark plugs are somewhere in that list.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Getting this Mustang shipped to me had some unnecessary last minute drama in that the truck driver turned into the Archer's Paradox - every time he called me he was a little closer, but always more late. The final phone call he said he was "four minutes away" and I could see him about 500, feet away, in a neighborhood, on the wrong side of the railroad tracks that split the town, railroad tracks that aren't crossable in a semi unless you drive the long way around.

I drove the car a couple minutes, just back to the house, I'm going to get my tag and insurance sorted out today. First impressions from that drive:

1) It's not as easy as I'd thought to ease the car out of first with no gas, I stalled it a couple time.

2) I kept shifting way too early because I was like "surely the engine doesn't want to make THAT much noise."

3) the gear shifter isn't as nice as my 2010 Mazda 3

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 16, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't know if the getrag MT-82 was being used on those models like it was on the 2011+es but that thing truly was a piece of poo poo stock. My mom also had a Mazda 3 with a way nicer transmission/shifter than the mustang I had with that transmission.

Some better fluid than the stock stuff helped out, but it was never a great experience for me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I drove it home on my lunch break and the shifter felt a little better. But it feels a little looser and a little less precise. I don't feel the shifter making a few precise "clicks" through various internal, uh, things, like I did in the Mazda. I stalled it a couple more times driving it home, but I'm already getting a little more used to it.

Wikipedia says it uses the Tremec TR-3650, which I don't think has the same problems as the newer MT, which does seem to be pretty bad just based on what I've seen in this thread.

Edit: To be clear, when I was driving it home and was more willing to wind the motor out just a little, I got it. I had to try not to drive around with a huge grin.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I miss my stick 2016 GT. People bitch at the transmission, but I never had an issue with it.