Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It sounds like the 'lockout' is more of a skip-shift, but wouldn't that normally have an indicator light to show why it's blocking you? On GM products it always worked to block second so you'd do 1-4, anyway; blocking third so that you have to make a janky 2-4 shift sounds unintended.

I'd be very wary of the fact that they're looking to put in a transmission that isn't 100% to spec as the one that came out - that just feels a bit odd to me. But the fact that they're going to eat a payment and give you a 5/125 warranty on it tells me they're doing their damnedest to try and do right by you.

The only other thing I'd watch out for is to make sure you're not signing anything (not that I think it would be legally enforceable, but I'm not remotely close to a lawyer) that somehow waived your ability to pursue a lemon law claim if you take the warranty and payment. Might be worth putting that payment money towards an actual lawyer to make sure you're not locking yourself out of that as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, the skip shift solenoid on the MT82 gates off second, because it wants you to shift 1->4. It doesn't do anything at all for second to third. Incidentally, the majority of the issues I see with mine (2012) happens to come down to it not wanting to shift easily from first to second. Second to third, first to third, or first to fourth are all fine, but if the trans is cold, or just feeling ornery, it just doesn't like that first gear change. During the type of weather we have right now, however (woo 100+ summer days)it shifts like a dream, generally.

e: "Shift 1->4 for fuel econ" is what shows up in the center cluster, too.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
it's funny you mention that -- the 2011 and 2012 Mustangs featured skip shift technology (late model vettes have this too, don't know about camaros because lol camaros) but they took it out of both the V6 and GT for 2013 because people hated it. you can also bypass skip shift through software with a tuner. I think what he was talking about is something else actually. Not quite sure what the point is of locking you out of 3rd. Especially since you consider that skip shift was meant for low RPM applications (putting around town at normal speeds) whereas the "lockout" problem I experienced (and later the grinding when going into gear) was only at higher RPM (though the grinding did get worse over time to the point where it wouldn't go into 3rd gear unless the engine was < 3000 RPM.)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My 2012 GT never forces me 1 to 4 - even when the notifiation pops up on the info screen :iiam:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tide posted:

My 2012 GT never forces me 1 to 4 - even when the notifiation pops up on the info screen :iiam:

My 2012 V6 doesn't either; maybe it's only for ones sold in certain states? California?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm in Florida/bought my car here. :iiam: indeed. (Also I am very rarely shifting early enough to trigger it, in all reality).

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Tide posted:

It seems like the display is a couple seconds behind reality sometimes. I've had the lockout occur before it showed up in the display.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

I'm in Florida/bought my car here. :iiam: indeed. (Also I am very rarely shifting early enough to trigger it, in all reality).

Same; Miami. When I drive in parent mode (shift at 1500 otherwise the engine makes SCAREY NOISES) I only have a bit of crunchiness throwing it into 2nd.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm currently trying to decide between a FRPP Sport axleback and the Borla S-Type axleback for my V6. Right now I'm leaning toward the FRPP because my installer is more familiar with them in general, but for such a simple install I think it shouldn't really matter. After scouring YouTube for examples and looking at reviews, I think I'd be pretty happy either way and the cost is about the same, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any particularly good reasons why I should opt for one instead of the other.

I'm also thinking of getting the CAI, shorty headers, and tune route (possibly at the same time, possibly later on down the line). The shop does tuning in-house, so I think that might end up providing fairly good bang-for-the-buck, but I'm open to suggestions in the same general price range. Am I completely off-base here and just throwing away money with this plan?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Both axlebacks will have same installations, get whichever sounds better. A tune will give a performance boost, a CAI and headers might give negligible gains.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Both axlebacks will have same installations, get whichever sounds better. A tune will give a performance boost, a CAI and headers might give negligible gains.

So, in other words I'm better off just keeping the stock manifold and CAI, and just get it tuned? That's more or less what I've heard elsewhere, I just wanted to get a decent "read" on my plans.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The newer V6 will net around ~50 horsepower from full bolt-ons. I say save your pennies and get a supercharger/turbocharger if you want solid 3 digit horsepower gains.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Devyl posted:

The newer V6 will net around ~50 horsepower from full bolt-ons. I say save your pennies and get a supercharger/turbocharger if you want solid 3 digit horsepower gains.

50HP is not at all bad. Is that with just catback, CAI, headers and tune? I haven't investigated supercharging but I think I ought to start.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Are there any issues I should be wary of when looking for 1964-78 mustangs?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Well I'm finally taking my '13 into the dealership so they can take a look at my SYNC system. I doubt they're going to fix anything but this is my only option left short of entirely replacing the stereo.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Rude. posted:

cowl panel rust
everywhere else rust
car made of bondo
stupid previous owners
engine swaps

Devyl posted:

[citation needed]

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Lord Gaga posted:

cowl panel rust
everywhere else rust
car made of bondo
stupid previous owners
engine swaps

Perfect welding experience

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Rude. posted:

Question yourself why you are looking at anything 71-78. Also look out for dummies who watched the Barrett-Jackson auction and think their 68 sedan with more rust then steel and hasnt ran in 35 years is worth 10k.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rude. posted:

Yes, ask yourself why you are not buying a new one instead. Do you have 15 years of free time you are trying to use up?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

Well I'm finally taking my '13 into the dealership so they can take a look at my SYNC system. I doubt they're going to fix anything but this is my only option left short of entirely replacing the stereo.

What's pooched with it?

Mine in my 2012 feels like it crashes or needs rebooting on a regular basis, but I think some watchdog timer triggers that on its own, and it can do that while the FM radio still plays. It seems like it'd be more work taking it in than dealing with it.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
Final update -- I got my car back. It's fine. The dealer installed a short throw shifter as a mea culpa but will not openly admit it as it was technically a warranty repair. I guess I'll sell the barton and bracket I have. I will be getting under the car to inspect what they actually did, but the throws are much shorter and the new trans shifts much better than the original one did even the car was brand new. The car is completely different now. Sufficed to say happy ending, plus Ford is going to make a payment or two on the car and give it the gold 120k extended warranty or whatever. I'll iron out the final details with them next week, but I am very happy with the car and they took care of me after all.

Don't expect them to add parts to your car if you have a trans issue, I just got lucky... and went 6 weeks without my car, and didn't sue them. At least now you fine folks won't have to listen to me whine about the car anymore. I'm as happy as a priest in an orphanage.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

roger wilco posted:

Final update -- I got my car back. ... Sufficed to say happy ending,

:neckbeard: Well that's good to hea--

quote:

I'm as happy as a priest in an orphanage.

:suicide:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Lord Gaga posted:

[citation needed]

Video source.

That's with CAI, exhaust, and a flash-tune. Add on headers & you might get lucky and hit around 50 on a good day.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Devyl posted:

Video source.

That's with CAI, exhaust, and a flash-tune. Add on headers & you might get lucky and hit around 50 on a good day.

I was clicking through related videos and found this kind of interesting: a bolt on V6 (with drag radials) lifting the front tires. :drat:

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Devyl posted:

Video source.

No, you won't and this is on a show that is basically an infomercial for their sponsors.

oRenj9 posted:

I was clicking through related videos and found this kind of interesting: a bolt on V6 (with drag radials) lifting the front tires. :drat:

THIS is really impressive though. 13.3 and pulled at least one tire with a V6 mustang. Not something I thought I'd see.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 22, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Lord Gaga posted:

No, you won't and this is on a show that is basically an infomercial for their sponsors.

Those are pretty average gains for the V6 w/ bolt-ons though? Other forums & sites are reporting around the same numbers. Depending on the type of dyno & temperature of the day it may vary. I think we're just both arguing the same point. I just said ~50 for the variances mentioned above :)

And yes, seeing a V6 lift wheels with bolt-ons just goes to show how much better the new V6 is compared to ten years ago when they were "teenage girl cars".

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What's pooched with it?

Mine in my 2012 feels like it crashes or needs rebooting on a regular basis, but I think some watchdog timer triggers that on its own, and it can do that while the FM radio still plays. It seems like it'd be more work taking it in than dealing with it.

Both the USB sync and bluetooth just straight up don't work more often than they do. For the past week neither has worked once. Not once. I've reset the fuse, done a master reset, you name it and none of it does anything to raise the usability to even barely functional.

There has to be something bugged out with my unit because there's plenty of people out there who have zero problems.

edit: I guess it's worth the effort because music is a huge part of The Driving Experience™ for me.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
My girlfriend is 5'2", we test drove a v6 today and she had a really uncomfortable time with the headrest pushing her head forward. Does anyone else have any similar experiences or solutions? It wouldn't go any further back. I really liked the car other than this and the poor view from inside. The recaros come as an option which could help but I haven't seen any around with the option on them, only on the website.

We also found some replacement headrests from MRT but they only come in leather, which is not the trim we'd be buying.

Seik fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 23, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I bought a thing (louvers) for my car. You can click for bigger, but you shouldnt because I didnt wash my car.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 27, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Which louvers did you get? My wife has all but demanded I get them for my 2000 GT.

Also, anybody have any wisdom they're willing to dispense with regard to an apparently failing rear wheel bearing or axle bearing or something on a '00 w/ the T-45? I've noticed a dull "wob wob wob wob" noise as the car rolls, tied to the ground speed (not engine speed). Today I got extra curious about it and pushed on the wheels - the left/rear wheel squeaked when I pushed on it and there seemed to be a little movement.

Is this an easy job to do over a weekend with a jack and some basic tools? I've done wheel bearings on my Buell and they seemed easy enough.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I got them from Mach-Speed. I like that its straight and the sides dont curve down at the ends. http://machspeedinc.com/ford-mustang-abs-rear-abs-louver-22012-mach-speed.html#.Ucyuivnvt8E

Theres a 5% off coupon that should pop on on the side of your browser window, brought it down to 237 shipped.

I will say though that ever since I put them on Ive had a lot of people "race" me on the highway. When I say race I mean that Ill drive past a car and then suddenly theyre on my rear end and driving like an idiot just to get in front of me. That means they win, I think.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
What is the difference, if any, between the wheels of the last few generations of mustang?

Looking on americanmuscle.com and other sites, wheels are mostly categorized as 94-98, 94-04, 99-04, 05-09.

Here is a 05-09 bullitt: http://www.americanmuscle.com/17x8-bullitt-chrome.html

Here is a 94-04 bullitt: http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome-bullitt-17x8-9498.html

All of the specs seem to be the same and the model number of the wheel seems to be the only thing that differs. What am I missing? Theyre both 17x8 5x4.5s so why wouldnt either fit?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

They are the same wheel its just broken down into different generations of mustangs so people dont get confused and question how a wheel for a different style car would fit theirs as well. Basically just idiot prevention.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

Scob posted:

They are the same wheel its just broken down into different generations of mustangs so people dont get confused and question how a wheel for a different style car would fit theirs as well. Basically just idiot prevention.

Not true for the new gens. I owned a 2005 gt for about a year and a half. I rebuild mustangs/all fords/ anything for money (insurance work, rebuild wrecks to sell, etc). Any way, I had some bullit wheels from an 04 and they would not fit my 2005 unless I shaved the brake caliper. I did not do this. I just about some take off wheels from when they make shelbys and roushe's with brand new pirilli's on them shipped to me for 350 dollars. yes, brand new 05+ bullit wheels plus pirilli pzero nero stock tires with probably less than 3 miles on them. I'll give you the contact I had to get the wheels because I'm no longer building mustangs (I"m making bank on fiesta's right now, so easy to fix I can crank out one a week)

Tom Daly
Diversified Marketing Solutions, Inc.
4705 Clubview Drive .
Fort Wayne, IN 46804 USA

Toll Free: (800)995-4003 ext. 6506
Voice: (260)469-6506
Fax: (260)469-6555

That is the contact information to the man with take offs if he still does it. You could get some lets say 2012/2013 gt premium wheels with new tires for under 500 I'd say.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cage posted:

I will say though that ever since I put them on Ive had a lot of people "race" me on the highway. When I say race I mean that Ill drive past a car and then suddenly theyre on my rear end and driving like an idiot just to get in front of me. That means they win, I think.

Just ignore the idiots and try not to let them crash into you. They probably think taking down a 260hp 10 year old Mustang is a big victory for whatever it is they're driving, because just adding louvres does separate it a lot from all the Mustangs you see every day and never give a second thought to. Adding cosmetic stuff to any car will get you attention, but not the good kind :P

Edit: speaking of mustangs you see every day, I saw one yesterday of that generation in white but he decided to plasti-dip the wheels deep blue. It was not good.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 1, 2013

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

davebo posted:

Just ignore the idiots and try not to let them crash into you. They probably think taking down a 260hp 10 year old Mustang is a big victory for whatever it is they're driving, because just adding louvres does separate it a lot from all the Mustangs you see every day and never give a second thought to. Adding cosmetic stuff to any car will get you attention, but not the good kind :P

Edit: speaking of mustangs you see every day, I saw one yesterday of that generation in white but he decided to plasti-dip the wheels deep blue. It was not good.

Letting ego, frustration or competition get into your driving (except when actually racing, in which case competition is okay but the other two are best avoided) is dangerous to you and everyone else on the road, so if you're going to drive a reasonably high-performance car or anything that grabs attention, you must make sure not to fall victim to them. My friend nearly put my Mustang into the ditch because he got frustrated by being behind someone going way too slow for conditions (literally 20-30 km/h under the speed limit at times, in beautiful conditions) and it made him take a corner too fast after we'd finally passed. And he's a cop, so he really ought to know better (both how to drive fast, and how to not let his emotions affect his driving).

Luckily, I just had to clear some gravel and grass out of the wheels and undercarriage, but it came really close to being much worse.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Time to get a bit more swole after this MGW install. Only 1975 miles left until break in.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My 2012's AC smells like rank swamp rear end the first 20 seconds it blows air (on recirculate). Any idea on what to do?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I need to get a 94 Mark VIII's ECU reprogrammed to accept a manual transmission. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

goodfuldead posted:

Not true for the new gens. I owned a 2005 gt for about a year and a half. I rebuild mustangs/all fords/ anything for money (insurance work, rebuild wrecks to sell, etc). Any way, I had some bullitt wheels from an 04 and they would not fit my 2005 unless I shaved the brake caliper. I did not do this. I just about some take off wheels from when they make shelbys and roushe's with brand new pirilli's on them shipped to me for 350 dollars. yes, brand new 05+ bullit wheels plus pirilli pzero nero stock tires with probably less than 3 miles on them. I'll give you the contact I had to get the wheels because I'm no longer building mustangs (I"m making bank on fiesta's right now, so easy to fix I can crank out one a week)

Thats fine but the rims he linked are the exact same rim. I have personally switched 17" cobra r rims back and forth between my cobra and an 08 gt, they fit fine. Perhaps the 04 bullitt rims you switched didnt fit, and if they were ford bullitts they might not have ive never messed with a bullitt rim from that year, but the brakes on the 05-10 gts arent larger then the new edge or s95 cobras/bullitts/mach 1s the rotor is.

I did some research on it up and apparently the 17" Bullitt wheels require a spacer.