Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
How many programs do you expect them to write for the robots on the assembly line? How many different parts bins to you expect them to fill? C'mon guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Number_6 posted:

Why can't it be like the 60's and 70's when you could order a car and choose from 5 different engine choices and 3 different transmission choices, and get whatever rear axle ratio you wanted, and get tons of choices for individual comfort options at reasonable prices? Order sheets used to be like, standard V6 is 150 HP but for $200 more you can order a 2bbl 250 HP V8, and for $300 more you can get the 4 bbl 325 HP V8, and for $500 more, you can order the King Of The Hill 450 HP V8 with the Super Ram Air XIII package and rally wheels Oh, you want tilt steering wheel but you don't want the bucket seats? And you want the heater delete but you want an 8-track tape deck? Fine, order it any way you want!

Today? You pay out the nose for every powertrain option, and you can't get premium audio unless you also take leather seats and power moonroof and navigation and it all comes in a $4000 package. And that's after the V8 model is priced 6 grand more than the V6 model for absolutely no economically-necessary reason.

So I worked on private jets where this is still done, and letting every little thing be a different option is the biggest manufacturing pain in the rear end you will ever deal with logistically. I think all of it went away in the car industry around the time LEAN/TPS management became a thing here, which is also around the time the American car industry slowly began to unfuck itself logistically.

Having tons of tiny different options means you have to hold on to craploads of stock, which costs you money and space just sitting there not doing anything for you, and with cars it often becomes obsolete trash at the end of the model year. Packaging them together makes it much easier and more predictable to manage your manufacturing forecast and avoid excess stock and wastage.

Also, repeatability is a big thing in quality control. Packaging means you can group them together on the production lines so the guys at each station are doing the same thing over and over instead of switching up every single unit that goes by. When you're trying to produce at rates upwards of a car every 50 seconds, those little hitches from having to stop and think "which configuration am I doing this time?" make a big difference. That problem is doubled now that production lines can actually be non-stop affairs where the workers move with the car instead of the car stopping at each station.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Number_6 posted:

Why can't it be like the 60's and 70's when you could order a car and choose from 5 different engine choices and 3 different transmission choices, and get whatever rear axle ratio you wanted, and get tons of choices for individual comfort options at reasonable prices? Order sheets used to be like, standard V6 is 150 HP but for $200 more you can order a 2bbl 250 HP V8, and for $300 more you can get the 4 bbl 325 HP V8, and for $500 more, you can order the King Of The Hill 450 HP V8 with the Super Ram Air XIII package and rally wheels Oh, you want tilt steering wheel but you don't want the bucket seats? And you want the heater delete but you want an 8-track tape deck? Fine, order it any way you want!

Today? You pay out the nose for every powertrain option, and you can't get premium audio unless you also take leather seats and power moonroof and navigation and it all comes in a $4000 package. And that's after the V8 model is priced 6 grand more than the V6 model for absolutely no economically-necessary reason.
They've moved towards packages for reasons already stated: logistics and simplicity. Engines have to be certified for emissions and mileage, which provides a high disincentive towards offering a lot of choices.

And if you look at the engine upgrade options they haven't changed much as a percentage of the total. Inflation has taken its toll on pricing, making everything so drat expensive that engines upgrades have turned into thousand dollar choices.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Number_6 posted:

Standardizing the option packages makes manufacturing cheaper and faster.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I don't want to sound like an rear end in a top hat, your responses about manufacturing efficiency and standardization are certainly true. But it would also have been true in the 1960s and 1970s, yet the consumer still had the power to get what he wanted. If anything, modern technology and manufacturing capability should make ordering a car built-to-custom-order easier, not harder, than it was then.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Didn't the auto industry nearly go under due to inefficiencies in the 70s?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Didn't the auto industry nearly go under due to inefficiencies in the 70s?

I think it nearly went under because in 1973 you had to wait in line for an hour to get 10 gallons of gas, and the cars they were building in the US at the time couldn't do 100 miles on that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Powershift posted:

I think it nearly went under because in 1973 you had to wait in line for an hour to get 10 gallons of gas, and the cars they were building in the US at the time couldn't do 100 miles on that.

Sounds pretty inefficient!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not manufacturing efficiency though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There was a fuckton of manufacturing inefficiency in American plans if you listen to the NUMMI story. Just straight stupid until they started doing things like Toyota.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I wish I could get over the interior from 2014 models to 2015, because getting a used 2013 would be a heck of a lot cheaper than 2015, yet when thinking about getting a younger pony, the 2015 styling just makes me happy.

How much of discount to used 2015 models will it apply if the next model of Mustangs gets radical changes?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The 2015 was a *huge* step up in every way (except engine, because its the same coyote). Don't buy a <2015. Just don't. We won't see radical changes until 2020/2021. 2018 is supposed to be a refresh, but it won't be radical.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ilkhan posted:

The 2015 was a *huge* step up in every way (except engine, because its the same coyote). Don't buy a <2015. Just don't. We won't see radical changes until 2020/2021. 2018 is supposed to be a refresh, but it won't be radical.

Ignore this man and buy a New Edge.

New Edge Supremacy!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have a new edges, two of them. It's time to move on.

Like you mentioned above, the 2015 is just a huge step up. I can't go lower than that no mstter how I try to justify.

Though the cloth seats in them are really nice, so I guess I don't need to have all the options, just the V8 and the convertible.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'd go with a 14 if all I planned to do was drag race, but that's about it. The price isn't even low enough to justify it either.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm a bit of an outlier and a rebel heart, I'm used to actually driving my mustang.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

I'm a bit of an outlier and a rebel heart, I'm used to actually driving my mustang.
Another reason to go S550 instead of anything earlier. They drive nicer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vahakyla posted:

Heathen!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
New family portrait lookin' good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

H2SO4 posted:

[mg]http://i.imgur.com/b280t6o.jpg[/timg]
Indeed.

I had a woman stop me on the way into the grocery store and tell me "nice color" about my 'stang (Guard).today. That felt good.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Biggest fans of my car are kids under 14 or so. Never had a girl say anything.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
My girlfriend (now wife) was not impressed with my mustang and to this day she hates it.

also this... slammed car with 12" exhaust tips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HReCT1I9ac

kalvick fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 29, 2016

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Slammed cars are stupid as poo poo. That car is especially poo poo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

Slammed cars are stupid as poo poo. That car is especially poo poo.
I like to tell them to go see a mechanic, since their car is obviously broken.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

H2SO4 posted:

Oh man, I haven't seen a Maverick on the road in I don't know how long. But that one seems to be listing on one side... does it drive?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Number_6 posted:

Oh man, I haven't seen a Maverick on the road in I don't know how long. But that one seems to be listing on one side... does it drive?

The carport foundation isn't level, the house is basically on the side of a hill which makes it look wonky. She drives like a champ, but right now it needs to go to the shop because some assholes in a stolen car tried to flee and hit me in the driver's side quarterpanel. It was adorable to see them think they could just push this giant steel brick out of the way. It isn't too serious, but they did hit the tire so there's certainly some suspension work that needs to be done in addition to fixing that quarter panel.

Happier times:

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Powershift posted:

That was the point at which people finally started looking at Japanese cars, and realized that not only did they get better mileage, but they were cheaper and better built.

Until then American manufacturers were only being kept alive because "gently caress the Japs, amirite?" Once gas prices started burning everyone's wallets, American consumers were forced into the situation that they could discover how much better value Japanese cars were at the time. Shortly after, the big three started sending people over to Toyota to learn how the hell they could do it. From that, America was introduced to the Toyota Production System, and derived Lean from it.

Unfortunately they had a problem where they'd only pick up one little thing and think it was the holy grail they needed. It took a couple of decades and further back-and-forth trips to figure out you have to institute the whole hog in order for it to work. One particular problem that still persists today is that American manufacturers don't want to institute worker feedback on the manufacturing process, which is a big part of TPS. Ironic, given the typical East/West cultural differences when it comes to questioning authority.

One thing they've adopted whole-heartedly is keeping stocked inventory as low as possible (Just-In-Time production), which is why literally every manufacturing program in this loving country is at a constant shortage of parts. Because they didn't adopt all the OTHER poo poo that comes with it to make sure you're getting your supplies in.

Zeroboy
Feb 21, 2001
2013 GT Premium I just picked up.

So far the only mod is a Borla Atak axle back.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Nice Grabber Blue. Saw a GT350 in grabber on Thursday, its a great color! Enjoy your new toy!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
e:nm. mixed up a shelby gt and a gt 500. was wondering why there was one so cheap.

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 5, 2016

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

this is my 1996 mustang cobra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrdi998ZH4

i spun a couple rod bearings about a year ago and i just got finished throwing a mach 1 engine in it a few months ago. I sent the transmission to thet45source to get 'street/strip built', it's got a full maximum motorsports coilover suspension/k-member all that stuff up front, and besides from a JLT ram air intake and BBK longtubes the engine is stock. It has 4.56 gears in it. Also a lovely MGW shifter. exhaust is the longtubes, bbk o/r x-pipe, and a mac catback with no exhaust tips. I think my mac mufflers are rusting on the inside because they're rattling so i'm about replace them with something but i'm not sure what. the best time i ever had in the 1/4 mile was a 13.9@103 with a hurt engine and 3.27:1 gears. I haven't had it back to the track yet

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
No spoiler sn95 crew :whatup:

Nice car.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

i spun a couple rod bearings about a year ago and i just got finished throwing a mach 1 engine in it a few months ago. I sent the transmission to thet45source to get 'street/strip built', it's got a full maximum motorsports coilover suspension/k-member all that stuff up front, and besides from a JLT ram air intake and BBK longtubes the engine is stock. It has 4.56 gears in it. Also a lovely MGW shifter. exhaust is the longtubes, bbk o/r x-pipe, and a mac catback with no exhaust tips. I think my mac mufflers are rusting on the inside because they're rattling so i'm about replace them with something but i'm not sure what. the best time i ever had in the 1/4 mile was a 13.9@103 with a hurt engine and 3.27:1 gears. I haven't had it back to the track yet

Welcome dude! nice ride!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

My mom was cool poo poo when I was in grade school because she had one of these in red. Have a spot in my heart for those bad boys.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Your mom sounds like a cool lady.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
She sure was :(

She's not dead, she sold the car.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://i.imgur.com/MB6zjPx.mp4

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 7, 2016

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I love the little burn out before the car gets traction and then thirsts for pedestrians blood!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Thinking of trading in the 2013 5.0 I just paid off in the grey color I really didn't want, to order a 2017 GT with performance package in Grabber Blue. Yay? Nay? I'm thinking yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Was it just the color you didn't really want, or the car itself?

Also I guess I'm a cheapass but wanting to trade in a car you just finished paying off sounds really loving stupid to me. "Y'know what I miss? CAR PAYMENTS :downs:"