Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So this just happened:

I traded in my '06 GT and I am amazed at how much better the 2013 is in every way, especially considering that I got it for a couple of thousand cheaper than the '06. I just have a question that I couldn't find an answer to in the manual, so I assume that means the answer is "no," but I figured I'd ask here.

The center display on the instrument console, the one that shows TrackApps or Fuel Economy or your trip computer or whatever: is there any way to turn that off, and just have it go black until/unless I want it to display something?

There's also the general pain-in-the-rear end Sync stuff other people have already talked about. In my case, it recognizes the iPod and plays music just fine, and I can select playlists/artists/etc using the controls on the stereo, but if I try to give a voice command like "Play artist <foo>", Sync just tells me it's indexing and then goes back to playing whatever song it was already playing. But this is not a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

amp281 posted:

Could you tell any difference in the snow drive-ability, traction control etc?

Not yet. You can't tell from the picture but that was about all of 3/4" of dry powdery snow and the roads were pretty much completely dry. Then it snowed again today but it turned into rain and the snow's melted away.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If Sync is loving up, try turning it off with the power button on the dashboard, unplugging the iPod, wait 30 seconds, turn it back on, and plug the iPod back in. That usually un-hangs indexing for me.

It seems like it *does* index; if I use the stereo console controls I can navigate through playlists and artists and it seems they're all there, so indexing happens, but then Sync tells me it's still indexing.

Is there supposed to be any visual indication, either on the iPod or on the console, that Sync is indexing and when it's finished?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Necc0 posted:

Normally the console will say INDEXING... with a progress bar

Thanks, I reset the Sync system and tried again, and this time I definitely did see that INDEXING bar, which only took about a minute to complete. Then when I tried "Play playlist <foo>" I was told "Creating speech commands, please wait." After a few minutes, I tried again, and got "Speech control not available on this device."

I think I'm giving up on this problem, I can still select playlists with the console controls and hear my music so whatever. But my real question is still "Is there any way to make the center display on the instrument console go blank until I want it to show something?" It's silly, I guess, but I'd rather not look at that little horse logo all the time.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Pop the Sync fuse out and put it back in

I'll give it a try.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 29, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Wow, Ford Sync is a buggy piece of poo poo.

Every once in a while, I'm driving along, listening to songs on my iPhone (USB-connected, I'm not streaming over Bluetooth), and it will just plain stop responding to pressing 'next song' on the steering wheel. Or it will just make some garbled static noises and stop playing. Or Sync will chime in and tell me something like "Due to the number of files on this media device, some speech commands are not available for this device," and then just go silent and stop playing anything. Unplugging the thing from the USB port and plugging it back in usually restores functionality...for a while.

So I figure I'll see if any firmware updates are available. Go over to syncmyride.com. New account, put in my VIN and all that stuff. It tells me there's a firmware update available, and up pops some ActiveX poo poo to download it to my USB drive. Okay, out to the car, follow the instructions, except the firmware update doesn't work because the system in the car expects to see the install image in the root directory of the USB drive and the Ford web site sticks the install image in a goddamned subdirectory. What, they have a team of trained monkeys working on that way?

So exasperated, I give up for a while. Use the USB drive for other poo poo. So I figure that I'll try again, redownload the firmware update, and manually move it into the root directory of the USB.

Only now when I go over to syncmyride.com, it won't let me download the firmware update again. Says there's no newer version for me to update. Note that I never reported the previous version as successfully installed, it's just *not letting me download it again.*

What the loving gently caress? Anyone have a direct link to download whatever the gently caress the most recent firmware update is for a 2013 GT *without* satnav or touch screen?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Here is the file. It is in a folder in the root of the USB drive called SyncMyRide.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104093180/SyncMyRide/8L2T-14D546-AD.CAB

Thanks, I'll see how this works.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Scored my second roadkill ever last night, some retarded coyote jumped over the Jersey barrier on I-476 and hurled itself directly at my front left wheel.

A survey of the damage looks mostly cosmetic with the exception of a torn wiring harness which I haven't bothered to trace yet but I'm assuming it's a turn signal because the car seems to *work* perfectly as far as I've observed so far. And then there's this bracket holding a couple of...things...which looks to be bent to poo poo and might also need replacing.

What are these things? Pretty much dead center of the photo, looks like a pair of steel cups with a black plastic attachment mounted to them.

Edit: Hurrr, right you are, horns it is. Thanks.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 27, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Thinking of trading in the 2013 5.0 I just paid off in the grey color I really didn't want, to order a 2017 GT with performance package in Grabber Blue. Yay? Nay? I'm thinking yay.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

Was it just the color you didn't really want, or the car itself?

Also I guess I'm a cheapass but wanting to trade in a car you just finished paying off sounds really loving stupid to me. "Y'know what I miss? CAR PAYMENTS :downs:"

Meh, the payments are painless, loan's through a credit union through work. I get $200 taken out of each paycheck and put into an account that's specifically for-car related things like maintenance, the payments are made automatically out of that account, and if there's a point at which there's more in the account than left on the loan, that's the end of the loan. I've been away all year for travel and not seeing the statements and when I got back and saw that I had $11k in the account and $3k remaining on the loan, that was an easy choice. Really no different than a new lease every x years except that I don't have to worry about mileage penalties and such.

It's less the color (although I really don't like the dull grey, cars should be pretty and not variants on beige) and more that when I was away on work travel I wound up in a rental Ecoboost Mustang and was blown away at how much better the suspension is.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Was it this color, cuz I have to say it looks positively bad-rear end to me:

That's the one. Just not a fan. I'm ordering this time, not just picking the thing off the lot that's closest to what I want.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

This is the way to do it, even if it does take a little bit for the car to be delivered. Its your money, and your car. Get what you want.

Plus I have no urge to take possession of a RWD sports car with summer tires just as a Philly winter begins. I can wait until March.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ArthurDent posted:

You'll have to get winter tires/wheels eventually anyway...

Oh, definitely. But I'd rather wait until winter's almost here to get a set of cheap rims and some snow tires for them then worry about it on a brand new ride. People here do this thing when it snows (or rather, when it 'wintery mixes' where visibility's lovely enough for them to be driving at 25 mph on the highway but not lovely enough for them to put their headlights on, so waiting until March is fine.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Buhbuhj posted:

Drive your car

Finally got a good test with the winter tires. About 4 inches of snow and the roads were garbage around my house. Car did wonderfully, snow mode is also a blessing.

What tires?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

H2SO4 posted:

That's for the burnout competitions.

Oh that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFTOUfhOu8

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Mmmm... MRC...

I want a Mustang, my SO wants to have kids. Can the two be reconciled? :ohdear:

(yes, she has a cross-over but it's more the practical requirement to have two vehicles that can fit kids...). Maybe a Challenger is the middle ground :v:

I was dating someone with two little girls (8 and 4) and had two carseats in the back of my 5.0 for a while and it's not that big a deal. Once they get full-grown those back seats would be ridiculous but for little kids I don't think it's worse than anything else. Just, you know, appreciate that you will be getting various biological fluids all over things.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'd love a picture proving baby/kid seats can fit. A 350 is too rich for my blood, but a new GT I'll be able to swing when it comes time.

lovely cellphone pic count?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

CVT are the only modern transmissions you cave people.

Doppelkupplung.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

That is just a robot working a gear box. It is more a clutch improvement then a transmission improvement.

It's two concentric input shafts, how's that not a transmission improvement? Plus it's a ridiculous-sounding name that's fun to say.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Okay. I have a 2017 GT on order, getting here in a few weeks. Comes with summer-only tires, my intent is to buy a second set of winter tires and wheels and change them out for winters.

The OEM wheel sizes are 19x9 in the front, and 19x9.5" in the rear. OEM tire sizes are 255/40R19s up front and 275/40Rs in back.

So I went to tirerack.com, which I've consistently heard good things about, and run a search based on these OEM sizes and the search results say that there are zero winter tires in these sizes. Like, flat out "We're sorry, there are no tires available for your vehicle." Which isn't very helpful.

I also look for wheels in those sizes. These are just going to be spare wheels for winter, so nothing fancy required. Also a kind of lovely selection there, there's nothing that matches the OEM sizes in both the front and rear until I get up into the $410 dollar range, anything that's less expensive than that has me with a narrower front tire.

So first question: for winter, narrower fronts are probably better to begin with, right? Second question: Am I better off going down to 18s and going with a taller sidewall?

Or finally, if anyone just has a recommendation for a set of wheels and winter tires I'll probably just do that because I'm getting tired of wading through tirerack's web page.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Yay.

I'm not sure how useful the manifold vacuum gauge will end up being, but I still like it.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 17, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cage posted:

That's slick but needs some black wheels. To be fair I say that about most everything though.

One more month til I drag mine out of storage. :D

I've just never been big on them. Sure, they make brake dust harder to see but I want contrast between the wheel and the tire. I could see black wheels if they still made actual whitewalls.

Here's my big question, though. How easy is it to change the template that projects the horse down onto the road from the door to something else? I want Dickbutt projections.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'd have to look at the thing but I'm pretty sure the plastic itself is cut in the shape of a pony and the only thing you can replace is the plastic screen to change the color, and you'd probably have to do some disassembly to do that.

I'm thinking of just printing another piece of plastic in the shape of Dickbutt and sticking it over the existing cutout. So Dickbutt will wind up being a smaller projected image than the pony but it should still work, if I can print such a small piece at a decent resolution.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

On the current GT performance packages, anyone know what brake pads they use on the Brembos up front? Because they are dusty as gently caress, waaay dustier than the rears. I'm guessing it's just graphite but there's enough of it that I'm thinking of swapping in some ceramics.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jesus might have built my hot rod, but Satan is my motor.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Satan drives like a pussy. :v:

(I know it's break in and possibly winter where you are, but :drat: those G numbers.)

Winter, and summer only-tires. Plus there have been no cars and coffee crowds around to wipe out into.

It's a lot better now that it's warmed up a bit and the tires can actually stick.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

It's more significant the worse your mileage is in the first place. If you used to get 15 mpg and now you get 17 then driving 100 miles now takes you 5.9 gallons instead of 6.7. That's pretty big. It's more apparent if you represent miles in terms of gallons per mile rather than mpg.

Look at it this way: If you had a big lovely truck that only got 5mpg, you'd consider a 1-2mpg improvement a miracle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

About time to get a second set of wheels and winter tires. I've never purchased wheels before with the intent to keep them for any length of time on a car I care about, so I don't know anything about non-beater wheels. Who makes good ones?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

vote_no posted:

When I got my '14, I ordered a winter wheel/tire package from TireRack, and I'm been perfectly happy with the wheels. They're, you know... wheels. And they look OK.

That's what I was gonna do but they don't have any preset packages for mine, so it's asking me to pick a set of tires, and then a set of wheels for them, and I don't know wheel brands from orthopedic surgery and I don't want to get some lovely Chinese rim that'll break if I hit a bump.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Goddammit, Ford Sync, why do you have to suck so badly? This morning it decided that it was no longer connected via Bluetooth to my phone, so I told it to reconnect and it did, and then showed the screen it shows when it's playing a song, and it appeared to be playing normally but there was no sound. Okay, fine, plug in the USB cable. "This media device is unavailable." Try to switch back to Bluetooth, the button does nothing. This happens maybe every few weeks, and a master reset fixes it, but I'm driving right now so I can't do a master reset. Switch to the radio, and notice that the volume adjust buttons on the wheel have stopped changing the volume; pressing one pops up the volume adjust overlay, but they won't actually change the volume. Also can no longer change stations via the steering wheel. Fine. Get to work, park the car, disconnect my phone, try to do a master reset. The overlay "Resetting to factory defaults..." shows up. And stays on for a long time. Then it just gives up and doesn't actually reset anything; the system never goes dark and reboots, it just kicks me back out to the Settings page.

And the amazing thing is that this is better than the previous versions of Sync.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

H2SO4 posted:

The only right answer is get Sync 3 so you can plug in your phone, open Android Auto/Carplay and use a grownup interface.

Carplay loving sucks. It's such a dumb implementation. Can't use Waze with Carplay because Apple wants to force you into using their maps software, so I have to have my phone sitting up there in the holder anyway. If I'm listening to music from the phone via Carplay, it shows me the song information in front of album art that's so dimmed and blurred it might as well be just a steady black blackground. If I then bring up Waze on the phone, Carplay stops showing the song information on the car display and just reverts back to the standard desktop instead. It's awful. Look, there are two things you glance down at the display for in a car: A map, and music. And Carplay won't let you see both of them at the same time. I turn that poo poo off, and let Sync do the music, and have the phone display Waze.

Rolo posted:

My mustang has sync1 with a small screen, but the only thing I wanted was a cord to run to my iPhone and buttons to scrolls through my music library, both of which work flawlessly.

Sync 1 barely worked for me. I think it's one of those things that works fine with small playlists, but I'm one of those people who has 100 gigs of music on my Phone, which made Sync choke. First time plugging it in, it sat there indexing, and then periodically while driving around it would stop playing music and say "Indexing..." Sometimes it would really throw a fit and randomly pipe up "Because of the number of files on your media device, some speech commands are not available for your media device." Sometimes it would refuse to accept that the phone was connected via USB, and I'd have to use Bluetooth. Sometimes, vice versa. Other times both would stop working and I'd have to turn the car off and open the door to get the system to power down and then start it back up again to get some kind of playback work.

I'm almost at the point where I think the smartest thing they can do is just make the display be a complete echo of what's being shown on the phone, just because phones change on a yearly basis and cars change on a period of several years. The phone is always going to be higher-tech than what the car's been designed to, so stop trying to do the phone's job and just act as an intermediary.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 28, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Rolo posted:

Mines just getting covered in 40 degree rain :(

I went on work travel to Florida in late October, figured I'd put winter wheels on before I left because it'd be cold in late November when I got back and I wouldn't want to be changing wheels when it's freezing out.

50 degrees out today. Might have jumped the gun a little on those wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

This is potentially a really dumb question but oh well.

How do the auto-high beams on my Mustang (2017) work? The user manual is pretty vague.

Here's how I would expect them to work: High beams go on, there's a forward-facing sensor to detect either an oncoming car or a car in front of you, and it drops the lights back to low beams, and then turns the brights back on when the car's gone.

However, I never see the lights switch back and forth between low and high. I put the high beams on, and it sure looks to me like they just stay on, no matter what's in front of me. However a second time, if I have them on, nobody ever flashes theirs at me to say "Hey, jerkass, your brights are on." Is this some technical wizardry where the lights somehow dim directionally or something like that?

I don't want to be that jerkass driving around with high brights on, so I've taken to just switching them off manually just as if the car didn't have that feature. But I'd like to know what's going on.