Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

General Information

First off, no one in the Mustang community refers to these cars by generation. If you post on a Mustang message board or go up to someone at a car show and talk about your sweet 5th gen Mustang they are going to make fun of you and/or call you a ricer. Mustang generations are referenced by their platform name or number if they were made after 1978, or their exact year if made before 1979.

It breaks down like this:

1964.5 to 1978: use exact year
1979 to 1993: Fox body
1994 to 1998: SN95
1999 to 2004: New Edge
2005 to present: S197

One thing that always confused me is these designations don't account for the motor changes (among other small changes, but motor is obviously a big one). Like how the SN95s switched from 302s to 4.6, and how the S197 is switching from 4.6 to 5.0. Is there another way to do that, or do you go back to year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SHUT THE gently caress UP

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 16, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Huggable Bear King posted:

I test drove a 2008 Bullitt and it was easily the coolest car I've ever driven. I know it's just a dressed up(down?) GT but the gimmick works. I really wish I had been able to buy it but i really couldn't afford a new car at the time. I'll probably end up picking one up on the used market for way too much money in a few years...or just wait until ford makes another one :cool:

If you really like the look, why don't you tone down a regular GT (and add on some wheels that'll give frozenphil a stroke)? Is it the color?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

like my Sonic Blue 2003 GT was.

Sonic Blue is an awesome color and I'll miss it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

The package will be available soon, probably this fall. It comes with the complete engine assembly with all the front end accessories as well as the engine harness.

Does the harness include a 2011 ECU?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oxytocin posted:

So what are the weaknesses of coyote? Also, in your estimation, does it seem like Ford tweaked as much as possible out of the design, or will we see a lot higher numbers than we've seen out the 03-04 terminators. In other words, do you see it benefitting as greatly through aftermarket as we've seen in the past?

Haven't you seen what basic bolt-ons and a tune will do? There's great NA results already, so the general aftermarket's viability can't be in question. As for whether someone has made a daily driveable 1000hp kit, I'm sure there's a shop shooting for it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I've made a terrible mistake. A local dealership is offering the 2010 GT (no owners, new) for 10 grand off at 25k. It's a fully loaded model, and has essentially every feature I could want, to include manual transmission. I took it for a test drive, and all was well and good.

Then I made the mistake.

I test drove the 2011 5.0.

Goddamnit, it was in every way a better drive than the 2010, and the 2010 wasn't bad at all. This mistake is probably going to cost me ten thousand dollars :(

What about the 2011 V6? Should be close in price to the '10, and might drive like the 5.0.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

The package will be available soon, probably this fall. It comes with the complete engine assembly with all the front end accessories as well as the engine harness. Should run around $8k if the previous offerings are any indication.

From Jalopnik, just the crate motor has landed at $7k:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11829
No ECU or harness, or even an alternator.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KickStand posted:

And what is the deal with the exhaust? Is there something I am missing as to why it has 4 exhaust outlets?

It lets people route exhaust out to the sidepipes and tune for more power. I would imagine everybody would be looking to go for electronic bypass mods on those, as well as for this exhaust to get bought from Ford Racing Parts a lot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

As nice as factory-tuned and adjustable suspension is, I think the reality is that few people will take it to enough track days to benefit from the initial outlay. Upgraded brakes over the Brembos would be useful, of course.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I also read somewhere that the new V6 sounds absolutely fantastic, is there any first-hand truth to this claim?

My friend test drove one and really liked the sound. He was really bent on a new GTI before I forced him to look at a Mustang. That said, he didn't like the beige interior it had. I've never seen that color for the 2010+ models -- is it possible it looks much worse than the black interior?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Atom1klad posted:

It's a fox body, and a sweet looking car. I would love to own one.

Here's your chance:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2341562&pagenumber=351&perpage=40#post381024281

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I have a feeling that Ford didn't want to warranty 624hp while using the stock powdered metal rods. The tune might be safe on the 624hp version, but you're living on the edge with those rods. If you even hint at detonation you're building a new shortblock.

How much is a set of forged rods/pistons, $1000? Is it cost or labor that keeps those out of the kit?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Radiohead71 posted:

Good video comparing the GT to the BMW M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

More than anything, I want to subscribe to Randy Pobst reviewing cars. His perspective is awesome. Though obviously it's very track oriented. No need to apologize or talk about the solid axle.

Something else comes to mind -- the M3's issues might be dialable with an alignment. But the stang might need some new shocks. That wouldn't close up the money gap, though.

e: I know this was focused on driving characteristics and time, and not interior quality, but I'm surprised Randy didn't even briefly mentioned how the seats felt.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 24, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Ultimately it is cheaper to buy a 4v engine out of a junkyard or whatever than it is to convert a 2v or 3v. It's not so much the heads as it is all of the little parts that make it so expensive to do. Everything bolts up (unless you have an early 4.6L DOHC block with knock sensors, but they just need to be ground down), but you'll end up paying more than you would for a used 4v.
I take it the implication is that if you managed to buy new 5.0 heads, you'd probably be better off money-wise getting a whole motor and swapping that in, instead of trying to make a hybrid?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Well, yeah, since the new heads won't work on the old block. :buddy:

oh doi. I thought Tarb was asking if the NEW 32v heads could go on the modular block.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Direct port atomizes better and does not have to worry about flowing past the valve.

Ok, but neither of those are major issues with the current design, or concerns for the engineers?

When DI comes out, I hope it ups the MPG a bit, and maybe adds some power. It's definitely not a reason to avoid buying the 11 GT.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe, but I've heard that it doesn't work that well - it's the backside of the intake valve, not the side in the combustion chamber.

Yeah, you'd need something that you spray or pour into the intake or at the throttle-body to get better application onto the valves.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Using some pen and paper, I drew out the new firing order. It doesn't seem to match any of the common ones, so it's actually new instead of just a flip, rotate, sequence shift, etc.

Is it just for the Oz motor, or for all 5.0s?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:/ It makes me really sad that Carroll Shelby just goes with this bullshit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TurboTard posted:

Wow, no kidding. Can you install the Roush fascia without the splitter? I think the knife edge all around takes away from the muscle car look.

I actually like the ricy parts :(

This is the Stang that I'll never be able to rice mine up to:

Phil, is Saleen in such a state that they're still selling these as kits?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Omegaslast posted:

Ugh, i hate that front valance, its identical to the one CDC sells.

I think it looks modern and digs deep, recalling Trans Am stangs without looking unnatural like the Eleanor GT500 front fascia.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Micromancer posted:

I know it's a bad idea, and I would happily walk headfirst into it knowing how much misery it would bring. The practical side of my head that reads and retains poo poo knows it's a terrible idea. The eternal child on the other half would be giving it indian burns until it let me buy it.

Just get this one:
http://bringatrailer.com/2010/10/16/bat-exclusive-lt1-powered-euro-1986-porsche-928

In Mustang news, there doesn't seem to be a deal on a really cheap Mustang around here. At best, it's stuff like this:
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/2004374638.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nocarbon posted:

Well, after test driving the GT, I can't not have that car. Unbelievable. I'll be making up the cash difference so it'll have to wait for next summer. See you guys in a few months.

I haven't driven one because I'm afraid that it will have good ergonomics for me. If it doesn't, there'd be no way I'd not buy one. Hell, I'm not sure I could run out of 'the box.'

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you haven't seen this in Vanderhuge's wagon thread:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Got some new shots of my Shelby a couple of weeks ago. These were taken at night with a 15s exposure time, with my friend Tony (he also took the pictures) painting the car with light from his iPhone. I have these in gigantic if anyone wants them.

I feel like the light painting could have been spread out more. But either way, I'd love a big one of this. Also, I really really like the SVT logo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Omegaslast posted:

For what year mustang?

Thread history says 2011 GT, though I can't figure out if it's silver or blue.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Raluek posted:

e: Googling seems to answer all my questions, derp. Looks like it's all the same motor, and the 6.2 has a bigger bore spacing.
Isn't bore spacing one of the things that isn't changed in an engine family? Or rather, a practical limit of tooling used to make a variety of engines

quote:

Is anyone excited about the 6.2 at all? Or is there no point when the 5.0 is around?

I think 5.0 is a good displacement for a lot of power possibilities. 6.2 still seems like a truck motor in my mind and feels at home in the Raptor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When you guys say paid cash, do you mean small bills? Or a bank check?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

1 month after i got my pony, I think it needs a new clutch. It (suddenly, which is what surprises me) got very sluggish to accelerate in the low gears. I guess the PO abused the gently caress out of it and my 2 clutch drops probably finished the job :/.

Are you for sure getting slip on the clutch?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This isn't meant to support Phil or anything, but recently I checked out a guy's single turboed Cobra. His motor:

He said he was having trouble getting into the 10s with a manual, so he upgraded to whatever auto tranny does the job for you. But mostly just a motor pic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Has he replaced the hotside with something decent yet? Hellion makes a great kit, but their hotside sucks cocks once you hit the 10 second zone; a feat that happens very quickly on a turbo car.

That was his setup as of 1 day ago, so I guess not. I guess I'll mention it to him. What is it that he has there now?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That small pipe is the sound tube, isn't it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Weird, how does the V6 need more clearance than the 5.0?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Lol, that looks so righteously vulgar.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Assuming generously that it's tuned for 10% higher output than its application in the SHO, that's still only like 400 hp, or the equivalent to about 350 hp at the wheels.

They can put out way more power if they want. It's the same issue with the first SVO -- how to balance against the GT in terms of price/performance.

Also, they could probably develop a single turbo EcoBoost V6, right? Dunno if R&D would outcost parts savings.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Is this just a characteristic of the car (side-effect of the live axle maybe) or is it something I should look into?

When you go over a bump with one rear wheel, or both? If it feels like the rear end wiggles a bit when it goes over a bump on one side, the rear axle could be taking a while to settle out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Killbot posted:

It's not a viable strategy unless you want to engineer and sell mediocre vehicles. Sure, they may be great today, but in 4 years? 10? If Ford is pushing technology in every other aspect of its cars, including engineering, I'd be surprised if they didn't go to IRS.

I see electric motors being the big thing in car evolution over the next 10 years. Until the standard for RWD sports cars is one motor powering each rear wheel (where IRS would naturally be preferable), the Mustang could probably safely evolve in other ways and keep the solid axle.

I might see Ford offering IRS as standard and giving people a no-cost option of solid axle if they wanted. That way, in theory, people who want to drag their Mustangs can still get the car they want.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Killbot posted:

Still, the current car can be set up to do very well on the street and at the track. My car (with aftermarket dampers, stock springs) rides better than the G coupe. I was in one with coffee in the cupholder and a rough patch of road shot some up onto the ceiling. Doesn't happen in my car, live axle and all.

But what about afterwards?

Ok, so for a real life ride/handling scenario, a modern car did just fine. I'm not sure how refined cars are going to need to get at a given price point. The next step in ride quality will have to involve knocking down the price of dynamically adjustable dampers and possibly adding dynamically adjustable spring rate, along with the sensing technology to make use of those.

If the Ford can keep the Mustang GT competitive with the M3, as the current gens ones do, then they'll probably be happy to evolve a design using a solid axle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah but the 2010 GT and new 5.0 are marked improvements in handling out of the box.

If anything can be deduced from that, it's that automakers can always get a little more out of the same basic ingredients.