Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
New family portrait lookin' good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Number_6 posted:

Oh man, I haven't seen a Maverick on the road in I don't know how long. But that one seems to be listing on one side... does it drive?

The carport foundation isn't level, the house is basically on the side of a hill which makes it look wonky. She drives like a champ, but right now it needs to go to the shop because some assholes in a stolen car tried to flee and hit me in the driver's side quarterpanel. It was adorable to see them think they could just push this giant steel brick out of the way. It isn't too serious, but they did hit the tire so there's certainly some suspension work that needs to be done in addition to fixing that quarter panel.

Happier times:

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

LongSack posted:

Magnetic is my top choice

It is a very good choice. It looks absolutely amazing in the sun, especially with the black accents and PP wheels.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
The Sync 3 update that brings Android Auto leaked and it's everything I hoped it would be.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

ilkhan posted:

Does it count as keeping their promise if its a leaked file rather than an OTA?

Nope. But they apparently did quietly update their website to say Carplay update is now in 2017. I had just assumed that it was because they were getting the upgraded USB hubs ready for purchase.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
So the '16 Ecoboost is the first new car I've ever had, and I'm wanting to make sure I'm following all of the rules for warranty/etc. The maintenance schedule appears to say that 10K is the first scheduled service, otherwise don't change oil until the oil life sensor starts nagging. Is that really all that's needed to maintain the warranty, and/or is it a good idea to be more proactive with oil changes? It's my first car with a turbo as well so I'm just being paranoid as I want to make sure this beast lasts.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Digital_Jesus posted:

Just remember your Turbos will probably shoot straight through the top of the hood at 120k miles so trade it in now and get a GT before its too late.

Never. boooooooooostang power

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Digital_Jesus posted:

At the very least go have your Ford dealer slap the $700 upgrade on it and report back.

That's definitely gonna happen.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, I'm just wary about going too far off the reservation while the car's under warranty at least. There's a ton of different tunes out there and I see threads not infrequently on m6g about someone blowing an engine because they're running a "summer" tune during cold weather and poo poo like that. I figured going milder with a "big name" tune would be safer.

Talk me out of that so I can get stupid.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Right on. What are you going to do about the active shutters? I've heard just yanking them gives you a CEL, and some people have mentioned they carved theirs up and just leave the motor connected to the harness and tucked out of the way so it thinks they're still there. With the intercooler are you looking at new pipes and BOV as well? A lot of the kits I've seen either replace the stock valve and/or move it to the cold side, which makes me wonder if/how the car will get angry because the stock BPV is electronically controlled.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

LongSack posted:

Things I need to add/upgrade: full set of WeatherTec liners,
I'm pretty excited.

Congrats, it's gonna be a beast. Shaker audio is surprisingly not poo poo.

FWIW I have the full Weathertech set on my ecoboost and they're pretty nice. Biggest tip I can give you is to unroll them and let them sit for a couple days somewhere, especially if you have a protected outdoor place like a patio or garage to let the smell die down.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 8, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I run helium for that sweet weight reduction.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Elephanthead posted:

Hydrogen is lighter, game set hold the match.

That's for the burnout competitions.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Blendmount and mirrortap is where it's at. Go to rdforum.org to get all of the autistic detail you could ever dream of.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I bought a catback. And an intake. And an intercooler. And a tuner.

oh god what have i done

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I went with the Mishimoto catback and I'm very pleased with the sound. I don't know how they did it but they somehow made a turbo 4cyl sound deep and mean. When cruising it's barely noticeable inside the cabin, but when you step on it you know it's there.

The shop did have some trouble getting it on though - the hangers and outlets hardly lined up at all. I don't know if I just got a lovely unit or what, but they were able to sort it out.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Anyone have a guide on removing the aluminum dash trim on the s550? The dealer used some kind of cleaner that etched the driver's side a bit so I want to remove all four pieces and polish them up.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Buhbuhj posted:

I haven't actually pulled the largest piece but as far as I can tell they are all held in by clips and just pull right out. I've removed the smaller pieces next to the wheel and they popped right out with no hassle.

I thought so, but paused when the headlight switch piece had a screw holding it down. Looking around some forum posts it does look like the passenger side pieces are indeed just clipped in though, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Achievement unlocked: didn't brick the ECU.

Swapped plugs, installed intake/filter, changed oil and installed the Cobb stage 1 tune. I also used the taller PL20195 oil filter which still fit nicely and has enough space to work the wrench if needed.

ETS intercooler comes in mid next week, and once that's installed I can start datalogging for the custom tune.

I also sent a sample of the oil into Blackstone Labs to get a report. Mostly interested in seeing how close the "remaining oil life" gauge lines up with reality.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

LongSack posted:

Radar detector update, if anyone cares.

Had my eye on the passport 9500ci integrated system. 3 problems with that:
  • Cost: the local installer wants $3000 total for the install

Jesus loving christ, that's insane. Even if you had the laser shifters that still seems bonkers. After reading the rest of the post I looked it up and it seems they're included; last time I was looking at it I thought they were extra.

LongSack posted:

Now all I need to do is find an installer who can hook it up to a switched power source. The guy who did my dash cam install insists that there are no switched power sources on the mustang, and I am not knowledgeable enough to say otherwise - although I find it very difficult to believe. As a result, I have to manually turn on and off the dash cam, and I don't want to do that with the valentine (and I'd like to get the cam fixed as well).

Definitely hard to believe. Even if the cig lighter sockets are hot all the time, there's almost certainly another one that is actually switched. My 9500ix is wired to the auto-dimming mirror which works perfectly, used a mirrortap so I didn't have to alter any wiring at all. Check here for your specific model and get one long enough to tuck under the headliner and run over to the visor. I've got the mirrormount too but I might switch to a visor mount for the (arguably dumb) reason that the mirrormount interferes with putting a sunshade in the front window unless I move it down, and if I do that every time I get out of the car I'll have to keep re-tightening it which is a pain.

If you're not on there already, the place where all of the radar detector super-spergs hang out is rdforum.org. You'll be able to find out pretty much anything you want to know about detectors/installation/etc there.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 27, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

LongSack posted:

In my case, there is a dash cam under the rear view, so I need an alternate location for the radar detector.

Yeah these are the only two real downsides - if you use a sunshade or if you've got something else that needs that space. Outside of that I am a huge fan of mirror mounting.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Intercooler arrived today but my install buddy is traveling for work until the weekend.

BUT I WANT IT NOW :(

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

BrownieVK posted:

Have fun with the intercooler install! I recently put on my Levels intercooler and it was a pain in the rear end. I forgot to plug in the ambient air temp sensor so now the car thinks it's 188 degrees out all the time. I'm to lazy to pull it apart again.
Watch out for the 7mm bolts on the corners of the bumpers in the wheel well.

Looking good! Amusingly enough I was just looking at the instructions for the Levels intercooler because ETS didn't provide anything. Looks simple enough, and while the front bumper is off I'll swap the grilles and change the turn signal bulbs to switchbacks.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Seriously though, if you put on the blower then nobody will be able to see your paint. Problem solved.

(sorry about your paint though :()

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
:ohdear:

:getin:

Also, gently caress the front grille inserts with the fury of a thousand suns. I'm close to just cutting the drat tabs on the OEM grilles so I can swap them out.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 5, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Here's the finished product.

bonus daytime shot

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

BrownieVK posted:

Looking good! Those grilles were the worst for me too. I just cut all of the grille tabs off. I think you are in one of the Facebook Ecoboost pages, I've seen that second picture haha.
These cars are really fun to work on for the most part. So much room in the engine bay with half a motor haha.

Yeah, I'm on the Tune+ page too, I just sent in my initial datalogs to get this thing dialed in.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

fps_bill posted:

What's the go to not super loud catback? I'm torn between the magnaflow street or competition, and the Ford touring. I love the sound of the Ford sport too but idk how well that would work out rolling in at 1am every night.

Which engine? I'm still loving my Mishimoto catback on the ecoboost. Makes it deep and not raspy at all.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
The only bit of :rice: that I've been tempted to do is put a small light inside the front grille area to show off the big fuckoff intercooler. I won't do it, but I've been tempted. I was kind of disappointed that ETS didn't spray their logo on it as all of the ads show, but that might be for the best. Maybe a pony stencil would be the way to go since the new grilles don't have the emblem.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 22, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I'm doing lab reports for oil changes on my '16 for this reason in addition to keeping an eye on the engine itself. I'd like to see what the additive levels and such look like at suggested intervals and see how much life it really has left. The first one didn't tell much since it's got a bunch of break-in detritus mixed in (as well as not knowing for sure what oil is put in there at the factory), but hopefully I'll get some interesting info as it ages.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
WHY HAVENT YOU BOUGHT THAT CAPRI YET

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Hell yeah. Just looked at the pics on my PC instead of my phone and it looks awesome. I picked up my Maverick for a bit under that.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Those fender hashes look sick as hell.

And also, for sure, get a tune. I went with Tune+ from adamtuned.com. Dude kicks rear end and if you have the lifetime tune package he'll do multiple fuel maps/etc for you too.

I'm swapping out my charge pipes and installing the DV+ tomorrow, hopefully. Gonna swing by Summit Racing tomorrow and get some better silicone couplers first, the ones that come with the AEM pipes feel kinda flimsy.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 4, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
AEM charge pipes and DV+ installed. Shoutout to AEM for including the wrong size silicone couplers on the hot side pipe. I used Mishimoto T-clamps instead of the worm gear ones and replaced all of the silicone couplers with ones from Vibrant performance. I need to get new hose for the bypass valve now since the new pipes put the valve at a different angle.

The grey pipes match my paint too, so that's gotta be at least 10 extra horsepower right there.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
WeatherTech mats, my man. They are basically a big bucket that protect the whole floor and the sides/back of the pedal area. I hear you about the leather seats though, I'm trying to care for em as much as possible but that's gotta be a losing battle.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I do. To be fair, I've only had it 7 months but it was one of the first things I did. They look pretty nice and they're easy to clean. It's hard to explain, but they're more hard plastic instead of the traditional all-weather mats you're probably thinking of. I'll try to grab a decent pic to show what they look like.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I've seen people just get them wrapped in vinyl. The only real replacements I've seen are the carbon fiber ones on AM which are still glossy.

Edit: rereading your post I can see I misunderstood what you were talking about. I haven't seen anyone wrap trim, just the big aluminum dash pieces.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Rolo posted:

Yeah I only saw a couple five-spokes on the eco's and V6's, so I told them I wouldn't buy the car unless they swapped them out. They acted like it was a downgrade visually but I thought it looked absolutely gorgeous on the metallic.

To this:

Oh my.

Which wheels were this? I've got that color with black PP wheels but those five spokes look sick as hell.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
God, those Ford GT style rear light swaps are the ugliest thing i've seen on cars in a while. I do see a lot of people trying to get the euro style white/clear tails and those look pretty sweet, but not $1200 sweet. Especially since they don't have the sequencer and I believe the outside blade is extra bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

frozenphil posted:

Also, you're allowed to slap anyone pronouncing it "Saline".

...how are you supposed to pronounce it? I pronounce both of those words as "say-lean".