Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I put a downpayment on a pony yesterday

2008 V6, dream car since I set foot in this great nation.

I haven't been able to wipe the grin off my face since I drove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Click here for the full 537x720 image.

Hi guys, can my little pony play too??

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Boiler posted:

I've always lusted after a Mustang, but living in Australia I never really had the chance to get one without paying an exorbitant amount. So, when I moved to the US I bought my dream car!

Untitled by Craig F, on Flickr

She's a 2007 GT, with the hood scoop and pony plenum cover that were available as factory options. I got her second-hand without about 55,000 miles on the odometer but it seems to be pretty well maintained.

This is the most powerful car I've ever owned, and definitely the fulfillment of a dream. I keep forgetting just how much power it has - I can be accelerating at half-throttle and remember I have half again to give! Putting my foot to the floor on the commute home certainly makes me forget about work.

I've already replaced the antenna with a much shorter 14" one; and the CD player part of the Shaker 500 shat itself so that's being replaced with a Clarion head unit. After that, I'll probably focus on paying off the loan :/

This is beautiful.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I got a Check Oil light on my 2008 V6 for a split second today right after I started it up from being stationary for a few hours in the cold. Is this something that demands getting checked out immediately?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Oil level is actually a bit higher than full. Comes up slightly above the top mark on the dipstick.

quote:

Was it not the normal all gauges lighting up process that happens every time you turn the car on?

I tried turning the the engine on/off a bunch of times after that and could not replicate it.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 18, 2010

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Oil level is actually a bit higher than full. Comes up slightly above the top mark on the dipstick.

I tried turning the the engine on/off a bunch of times after that and could not replicate it.

I'm sorry to bump this, but what would be the consensus on this? Something to worry about? Or a one-of case of the sensor screwing up due to the cold or something?

The car runs more than fine.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Any suggestions for brake rotors/pads for a 2008 V6? I think the PO never changed them and they are looking pretty ugly to my untrained eye.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
1 month after i got my pony, I think it needs a new clutch. It (suddenly, which is what surprises me) got very sluggish to accelerate in the low gears. I guess the PO abused the gently caress out of it and my 2 clutch drops probably finished the job :/.

Anyone know what kind of $$ I'm looking at here?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Are you for sure getting slip on the clutch?

I can rev up the engine without getting nowhere near the acceleration that I was getting when I got the car. I am taking it to the dealer Monday to get it checked out but I wouldn't mind entertaining other, less expensive problems. What else could it potentially be?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

Is that the same strut tower brace as the V6?

On another note, I'd really like it to stop snowing so the roads aren't salty and sandy so I can go out and play with my Mustang :(

This x1000. Since I got mine, the weather decided to go guiness-book-of-records on our asses here in NY and it's been snowing like hell.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Following the "best performance upgrade is a decent set of tires" motto, what would be a nice set of tires for a 2008 V6? Tax return season is on the way and I need to do my market research!

e: Living in NY so I'm looking for all-season tires.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 15, 2011

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I've been driving my 08 V6 a bit hard lately on crappy NY roads and I've been noticing a slight "wavy" sensation on the rear end of the car. I've checked my tires and I seem to have plenty of thread wear left and I'm not seeing weird wear patterns.

Is this just a characteristic of the car (side-effect of the live axle maybe) or is it something I should look into?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

whiskas posted:

Get your rear alignment checked, could either be too much toe out or too much negative camber.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm planning to take the car in for the 25k mile maintenance soon. Do I need to specifically ask for this or will the shop do it themselves?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

When you go over a bump with one rear wheel, or both? If it feels like the rear end wiggles a bit when it goes over a bump on one side, the rear axle could be taking a while to settle out.

I've definitely noticed it when going over bumps with one wheel but I always figured that was just the way the suspension is supposed to feel.

But I also get the slight feeling of wavy-ness sometimes on normal roads without seriously uneven tarmac.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Killbot posted:

The rear does that on these cars, it's the panhard rod swinging out. About the only way to ever get rid of that feeling is to install a Watts Link. Better dampers work too, look into Koni SRTs or sports (although sports are currently on backorder because for some reason they take forever to be made.)

Is it worth it looking into a suspension kit with shocks/springs/rod?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Killbot posted:

Definitely dampers. Springs aren't as necessary. The Watts Link is the priciest option but it gets rid of that "sideways" feeling over bumps because it allows the rear axle to move up and down as opposed to swinging in a slight arc like a panhard rod does. Still, dampers are probably the biggest improvement I made to my Mustang, and they do help to control the rear a bit better.

Any good resellers for suspension stuff for mustangs? I only know of American Muscle and I don't think they carry the Koni parts.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Killbot posted:

I've had good experiences with Sam Strano over at stranoparts. His site has Konis on sale. I see a package with Koni STR.Ts and some springs for $573. If you're not about to take your car to the racetrack then STR.Ts are fine, they're like the adjustable Sports turned full-soft.

Thanks very much for the info. Yeah, I care about daily ride quality the most right now. I do plan to do some HPDE at some point during the spring, but my motivation is about learning what the car can do when pushed to the edge in a safe environment, so I guess those shocks will be fine!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

A troll is when you say something to someone just to get a reaction out of them. What actually happened is technically called "lying" and with malicious intent.

How so? Edumacate me please!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Thanks for the explanation on the live-axle camber thing. It totally made sense when I actually read what the camber/caster/toe angles are.

I'm gonna look into how much the STR.T kit + installation will run me and probably go for it soon.

Also today I had the unpleasant experience of driving the car at 30-40 MPH crosswind. It starts getting kind of unsettling once you hit 70 MPH on the highway.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Will do, I'm thinking of hitting up the May event in NJ Motorsport Park and follow it up with a couple of days in AC :haw:.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Maximum Motorsports has everything you need. Look under just about any racing Mustang that takes corners and you'll find their stuff there.

I came across MM yesterday at some point. I think that Strano's parts has a better deal on a shocks+springs combo for the STR.Ts though.

How much is too much to pay for labor on this kind of work?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
The wheels + missing fog lights is what makes the car look loving weird. Color scheme is fine, if a little bit :rice:.

Still, I would drive the poo poo out of that thing.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So the retarded "belt-sander on red rim" color scheme apparently is reserved only for the laguna seca trim?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Are CAI+Tuner kit prices basically price-fixed everywhere online?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

Autoblog just posted their first drive of the new Boss and they seem to love it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/24/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca-first-drive-review/

What's the running price on kidneys these days? I got a spare one I'd trade for one of these (and I doubt I'd need the other one long after I got the car anyway...).

e: I kinda want those black decals on my V6 right now. I think it will go faster if I put them on...

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 7, 2011

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Automotive Insanity. None of our choices in vehicles makes sense, if they did we'd all be in a Camry and this forum wouldn't exist.

I like driving a vehicle that will let me turn the tires into smoke whenever I feel the need to be a moron. I like having an exhaust so obnoxious that the little bank teller chick in her Corolla next to me at the light gives me a dirty look and rolls up her window so she can hear the person she's chatting with on her cell phone. I like the feeling of being pushed back into the seat when the light goes green and humbling the redneck in the lane next to me who thinks he turned his truck into a supercar because he cut off the mufflers. I like that the balding guy at the other pump at the gas station filling up his mini-van won't make eye contact with me out of embarrassment.

gently caress sane, rational vehicles; I want something that lets the rest of the bullshit in my life melt away when I turn the key and put my foot on the loud pedal.
You sir are a poet, a gentleman, a scholar and a true Brother of Duke.

Honestly, if you have to ask yourself "Is a Mustang the right choice of car for me", the answer is probably no already.

e: And then you still go and buy it due to the main test parameter.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Killbot posted:

I think my pipes need to be louder, so I can blast idiots honking behind me.

I wanna do dual-exhausts + mufflers on my V6 at some point for reasons totally pertaining to road safety and not related whatsoever to my masculinity.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Assuming you have a 2011+ v6, get a Procharger instead. Who wouldn't want 475hp from their v6 with everything else stock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7aqjThB5o

2008 V6. A supercharger would be something I'd look at a couple of years from now :rice:.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Has anyone had the chance to listen to both the Pypes and Ford Racing x-pipe kits for the S197 V6? Youtube videos are not very informative...

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

God dammit, I wish I had a real job...gently caress gradschool...

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Tax return coming in! As soon as I'm back in the US I'm taking the pony in for a service then pulling the trigger on this:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-power-pack-v6.html

Any reason why I wouldn't wanna do that?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Have you considered stepping up to an '11-'12 v6 instead?

It's not something I can realistically afford at the moment I think. The V6 was a family gift and going for a V8 of similar milage and year (2008, less than 25k miles) was a significant increase in cost. On a similar note trading up to a 2011 V6 would still entail a significant cost (aren't those things 22k invoice? My V6 trades in for around $13k so I'd still be looking at about 7-8k out of pocket that I can't finance considering I'm an international student with little credit history. Plus I don't even wanna know what my insurance premiums would look like on a brand-new car).

Honestly what I really want is the sound and look from the x-pipe but I figured that I might as well do the CAI+tune for a little bit of :rice: go-fastness. Shocks and springs are on my todo list for the summer while I'm working on an internship, as are new tires.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

It'll make you want to drive it less because it won't sound good. Also, how do you plan on having a dual exhaust with the stock rear valance?

I'm pretty sure all the x-pipe kits for the V6 come with a template for cutting the rear bumper.

Regarding the sound, are you commenting on the FR or dual exhausts in general?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

I have FR GT500 mufflers on my 5.0 and I like them a lot. I just don't think I've heard anything that sounded good enough on a V6 Mustang that'd be worth cutting my bumper and spending that kind of money for little to no increase in performance. The kit is like $800 right?

It's $890 including the CAI and tuner tool. Probably another $150-200 for installation for the x-pipe.

quote:

I do really like the look of dual pipes though. It makes the V6 look so much better so I'm torn. If it were me I'd spend the money on wheels and tires.
I like it too and they come with some trim pieces that make them look really "in-place". I don't wanna change my tires until a bit later, I wanna wear the current ones a bit during my cross country drive to Seattle first.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
What's up with the "Coupe LX" thing that's covered by the overlayed 2011 picture? Also, next thing you know they'll tell us that the '14 will come with IRS!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Aberroyc posted:

Picked up a 2011 5.0 today. GT Premium in Candy Apple Red. Over a 36k sticker, got them down to almost 8k below that. Here's my car with my nerdy self.

Love the color. Red makes them go faster!

Not sure about the auto aspect, I'm a manual guy myself. Are you getting it tuned any time soon?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

sanchez posted:

Nobody is saying it's anything past a pain in the rear end (ie bearable but irritating), which you seem to be unable to comprehend. That fact that the traffic itself sucks both ways is irrelevant.

I think he was also motivated by the tranny-talk going on about the GTs.

I've driven manuals all my life but I can sympathize with a person not wanting to deal with neutral->1->neutral shifts every day for 2 hours during their commute. On the topic, why the heck hasn't Ford made a DSG-like transmission for the Mustang? I know they have one for the Focus and Mondeo but I guess it can't handle the power of the V8?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So against my better judgement, I installed this 2 days ago:

along with a 93 octane tune from BAMA. Made the car quite a bit more fun and I THINK it also improved my mileage (I've been tracking my miles while burning through this tank, although it may just be a case of the placebo effect).

I also pulled the codes with the tuner and this came up:

"P1000 OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete."

Looking online it seems that this code is normal after an tune flash and it goes away by itself?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

lazer_chicken posted:

Do you have any solid numbers about the tune on your 4.0? I have an '07 v6 and I've been thinking about getting a tune, but I was unsure what kind of gains it would actually see. Did you actually gain any power or does it just remap the throttle more aggressively? I'm trying to decide if an intake, tune, exhaust, LSD, or solid driveshaft is the best thing for my otherwise-stock car. It's a pony package so I already have 235/55/17 tires and the rear sway bar.

Well I haven't dynoed the car or anything but the difference is there. Not MASSIVE, but the throttle feels significantly more responsive to me and the car accelerates faster overall. People online claim that an intake+tune will give you roughly +20 hp on the dyno so take that for what you will.

e: Also I've noticed that the car is MUCH twichier now on wet roads (we just had our first rain on long island since I got the tune). I plan to fix this with a decent pair of tires over the summer.

quote:

It's a readiness code for inspection, the ECU runs through a big checklist of operating parameters during the first 40-50 miles after a reset and fires off a CEL if anything is still amiss after that time. That monitoring code will cause automatic failure during an inspection so people don't try to sneak around car issues by clearing then getting an inspection.
Well, I've driven about 100 miles since the ECU flash and the code is still there...

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

CharlesM posted:

A proper OBD-II code reader should tell you which systems are ready and which are not. On my Mazda it can take 300 miles to set the ready flag for the EVAP system, for example. Some of the tests can only be run under specific operating conditions so it takes a while.

If you really want, I'm sure there is a very specific driving method outlined in the Ford service manual to get the car ready as quickly as possible, but unless you have to do an emissions check anytime soon, just ignore it.

Yeah actually I looked the procedure up online. It involves a bunch of city+highway driving along with some idle cycles + letting the car sit for 8 hours. I guess I'm ignoring it.