Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am interested in a SN95 302 convertible. I live in the rust belt and I am wondering if I am in for a world of pain if I buy one locally. How well do these guys stand up to corrosion?

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Buy a fox body 5.0 for the money you save by waiting for the price gouging to end on the new 5.0, grow a mullet, and then trade it in in style.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CamH posted:

I had a friend who would constantly defend the Mustang II. Did they have any redeeming features or was he a moron?

The front suspension is good to use on a hot rod. It is the right width and is better then most alternatives.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Isn't the biggest cost the VAT? You can't blame Ford for the fact that your health care costs are paid anytime you buy anything. I write a check for a grand every month to an insurer that does everything they legally can to deny me health care.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you paid MSRP for a Ford in 1997, you were swindled. MSRP are closer to actual prices now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I hope you guys are taking care of these cars. When they get down to $5,000 used I will want to buy one.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mustangs are for cruising and picking up mostly guys, but sometimes ugly girls. No need to add shifting interfering with the mullet maintenance.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Parthenogenocide posted:

Saw a bone stock '94 GT convertible with that ugly green/turquoise color and license plates that read "1 F8L GT".

I think they are referring to the terrible survivability chance of crashed 94 verts.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just ecoboost the V8 and the problem is solved.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ford decided that IRS was not worth increasing the cost of the car $2000. That is the only reason. Now that Ford is no longer the prison bitch of automobile manufacturers, that might change.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kronix posted:

This is a car that AI posters would daily drive.

Fixed. This is a way to increase profit margins while decreasing the cost of the car. I wanted to buy ford at a dollar a share but I was stupid and didn't. It doubled the next day and I though it was too expensive then. I could have gotten a boss mustang for $2000.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well since costco just does the haggling for you, you could haggle lower. Costco is good for cars that are in short supply since the dealer agrees to the price on several cars not just the hot cars. I was still able to get a cheaper price on a Prius then costco and at the time gas was $4 a gallon so they were hot, but not as hot as the radioactive ones you can buy now. (Is it too soon for Japan disaster jokes)? I hope AFLAC doesn't ban me.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SouthLAnd posted:

It's a shame Ford doesn't offer their butt coolers on the Mustang. I could see them being a popular option on convertibles with leather seats.

I've driven a few Lincolns with them, and the sensation of cool air wafting up your balls/rear end is quite refreshing on a hot summer day.

I almost bought an LS because of this. Best improvement to cars since the wiper motor.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Chevrolet sold 8,964 Camaros in March compared with Ford moving 8,557 Mustangs. For the first three months of the year, the score is 19,972 Camaros to 15,419 Mustangs. Last year, the two were neck-and-neck some months and Ford is justifiably proud of Mustang, so it's interesting that Camaro is pulling so far ahead.

These numbers are for 2011. Old people like bow ties.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I make sure the salesperson knows that they will make no money off of me and only deal with them during the week when they would not be selling a car anyway. As long as they agree to do the sale just to move a unit beforehand, they are more likely to sell it for no profit, i.e. commision. The best I ever got was two guys spliting a $37 dollar commision to sell me an s-10.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It looks like to me Getrag going bankrupt is effecting transmission quality. Superior German ownership cannot overcome exhausted wage slave Chinese workers and bad material suppliers. Surely someone offers a Tremec replacement kit.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It looks like ford finally gets to kill off the mustang by turning it into a ford probe. Muscle cars do not need to be aerodynamic.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Camaro drivers only look in the mirrors to check their mullets. Get your facts straight before you disparage the general.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, ford probe 2 coming our way built in Mexico.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Oxytocin posted:

Agreed. You could obtain a functionally equivalent or higher performing car through aftermarket for much cheaper on a base GT.

And I'm not understanding the desire for launch control on a car that is supposed to be a road racer, not a drag car.

Standing starts are what the cool kids do.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
TSBs sometimes have a repair through date. They do expire though as they don't want to be on the hook 100 years from now to fix something they don't have the tools or parts to fix.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They will just make the rimz bigger to handle the power. Bigger rimz is the key to traction.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe how cheap the new 5.0 is aftermarket. Even with computer and wiring harness you can get setup for under 10K. I need to find a 2005 with a blown motor or I could go the comedy route and put it in my $500 F150.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Who cares what a car looks like all that matters is how fast it can go 1/4 of a mile once! Get back on topic this is mustang muscleshirt megathread. Start sending connecting rods through blocks already.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There are body shops out there that would be more then willing to ruin your car for you. I have used compounds that break down as you use them so that you work to a finer grit. This was for polishing lacquer which is much softer than clear coat though. You can always rattle can it with flat black in end and use it as a chalk board if all else fails.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You know the f150 has a good 4wd system they could squeeze under there. Everything else comes from an f150. The front end would be about 10 inches higher but it would just make it look like a retro gasser.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The obvious solution is cylinder deactivation for EPA testing. I think 1/8 of 650hp is enough to move the car around. That should equal 80 mpg 8 times the v8!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
People who drag race are not in it for the money, it is for the rush like spiking heroin right into the brain. Plus you can't be slower then the guy in a Chevy what are you even thinking.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah you might as well just test drive a 302 f150, just imagine it is lower to the ground and handles better and is a little faster.

That dealer is an idiot. Did you drive up in a clunker wearing a tee shirt and cutoff shorts? Appearances are everything. Next time wear a monocle and top hat.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Frozenphil is more likely to become a hollywood starlet then ever drive his mustang.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I saw an orange Boss headed to the dealer. It was totally :smug: surrounded by GTs and V6s on the car carrier.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

Mustangs (not the GT500) will leak diff oil out of the breather in the diff housing when driven hard. Keeps your underbody well lubricated and free of rust!

The Camaro pocket book killer version offers a diff cooler. It that just a heat sink diff cover?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would buy a 2005 or newer mustang instead, but if you like it buy it. I don't think it is going to hold it's resale value though, not like any mustang does. A 1979 futura would get you more AI cred.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

All it needs is a supercharged coyote.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would just make sure it wasn't in a wreck. Most 2011s used on the market have been salvaged somehow. You might look for new car incentives that could bring the price of a new one down very close to used.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ipads are not made by union workers. Triple heart bypasses for retires don't come cheap.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh boy flashing lights and annoying radios that cost $2000 to fix 3 days beyond warranty. I want a value edition that gets rid of all that and replaces it with a supercharger at the same price. I would crank my own windows for a supercharger.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
$6.00 gas really drives down V8 sales. Ford may already be building less V8s though in anticipation.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
These price guides are really only good for 5 year old or newer cars. The data falls apart as you reach end of life pricing. Craiglist also convinces people that they should charge more since it doesn't cost anything to put a crazy high price free ad on the internet and then say I don't check my email and don't bother me with questions, bring cash and no you can't test drive the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The answer to is the dealer trying to rip me off is always yes, yes they are. They get paid based upon how much more you pay for the car then what it costs them. They don't always succeed, but they always try.