Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Devyl posted:

I agree. The same goes with Leguna Seca blue. It tends to photograph poorly, but when you see it in person, it's simply amazing.

That seems to be a growing trend in automotive design in general at the moment, with things looking far better in the metal than in pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A.o.D. posted:

That's a far cry from the quoted 305hp. How the hell do they get away with that?

That's a 20% loss through the drivetrain, sounds about right for a RWD car to me.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
335kw? Fuuuuuuuuck. I wonder what HSV is going to come back at them with? LS9 would be the obvious choice, but it'd need to be backed right off, power-wise.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baby Hitler posted:

Automatics have to unbrake and rebrake different planetaries to 'change gears', but it could be organized that some adjacent gears are in different planetary packs so shifting could be faster. Add in a computer that controls throttle so a locked TC would be in sync with the change in input shaft speed in various gears, and it would be somewhere near a cheap knockoff of a Lexus or mercedes :v:

I think the Merc 7-speed auto can skip-shift.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Spotted this beauty on the weekend just outside Adelaide. loving clean and tidy, still left-hand drive and all.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah it's only a rumour, but the GT500 getting pushed to 600hp would be a decent indicator of an Ecoboost 'Stang, would it not?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Broken Record Talk posted:

Although on second read you weren't necessarily implying that the GT500 would be the Ecoboosted pony.

Yeah, I meant the Ecoboost going into a GT-level model, not the GT500.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CombatWombat posted:

I imagine if they based a Lincoln off the Mustang underpinnings it'd get a lengthened wheelbase at the very least. LWB apparently screams luxury in China, and it seems to be making its way elsewhere as well.

Killbot posted:

I'd totally get one if they stuck a V8 inside and make it sound as sexy as an AMG Merc. Luxury "muscle cars" are glorious.

Time for a new Falcon!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Number_6 posted:

I thought Ford recently did a press release that announced that stop/start was going to be featured on all their models in the next several years.

I hope cars with start/stop technology have a way to keep the AC working while the car is stopped, or it's going to be doomed in the hot parts of the US.

I think with stop/start engines the accessories tend to be electric, not belt drive, but I'm not 100% on that.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Forged internals hardly counts a "just".

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mustang GT500 is getting a 5.8L engine, still supercharged.

quote:

Fans of large displacement and forced induction (isn't that everyone?) can officially rejoice today as the recently approved deal between Ford and the United Auto Workers has answered a question that's been on our minds ever since Chevrolet upped the horsepower ante with its Camaro ZL1. Yes, folks, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will be blessed with a 5.8-liter supercharged V8 engine.

While conventional wisdom has always been that the easiest way to increase horsepower and torque was to bore-and-stroke your way to more displacement, an interesting series of spy shots showing one conspicuously oversize intercooler led some to believe Ford was ditching the supercharger in favor of twin turbos. Not so, apparently. Ford's latest contract with the UAW reveals that its Romeo Engine Assembly Plant will receive a $50 million investment to build the 5.8L supercharged mill.

Naturally, contract talk doesn't include a whiff on horsepower or torque, but you can bet Ford is planning on eking out more than the 580 horses that Chevy has corralled from the 2012 Camaro ZL1. Something around 600 seems like a safe bet, but we'll just have to wait for an official announcement from Ford. In the meantime, sweet supercharged dreams.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why the gently caress does Ford make it so hard for people to buy their drat cars?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dick Burglar posted:

Just the special edition poo poo, and it's because someone else will buy it at like a $10k premium. It's not as if Ford is worried these things won't sell.

But it's not even the markups over RRP that are bad, it seems that even if you don't mind paying the extra it seems weird that you can't even walk into a dealer and say "I would like to buy a Boss please" and be able to actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New GT500 on the dyno (with a ZL1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZBKBf8Zsjo