Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Very sexy! Does it really need a backup camera though? :v:

Backup cameras are useful:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KickStand posted:

2001 gt, 76,xxx miles. Only mods so far are a CAI. Cap looks OK to the naked eye, Ill double check for any cracks in the gasket, doesn't appear to be any bubbling in the system while the car is running.

Also there doesn't seem to be any oil in the coolant or water/coolant in the oil but Ill do a compression test to check the head gaskets if I cant get this straightened out in a day or two.

Just buy a new cap. They're what, $5?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

leica posted:

My neighbor has one exactly like that, and I see them once in awhile around here so I don't think they're really that rare.

Real ones are apparently really rare:

Wikipedia posted:

McLaren M81 Mustang

Ford announced the formation of a Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) division headed by Michael Kranefuss in September 1980. SVO's stated purpose was to "develop a series of limited-production performance cars and develop their image through motorsport." Ford introduced the McLaren M81 Mustang in late 1980. The work of designers Todd Gerstenberger and Harry Wykes, it was another heavily modified hatchback with enough built-in potential for easy adaptation to race duty. Looking somewhat like the IMSA show car, the McLaren sported a grille-less nose above a low-riding "skirt" spoiler, plus functional hood scoops, tweaked suspension (mostly a mix of heavy-duty off-the-shelf components), massive fender flares, and premium German BBS alloy wheels wearing broad-shouldered 225/55R15 Firestone HPR radials.

The McLaren Mustang teamed Ford Design with McLaren Performance of Formula One racing fame. Planned production was just 250 examples. Power was again provided by the turbo-four, but it was newly fortified with a variable boost control having a range of 5 psi (0.3 bar)-11 psi (0.8 bar) vs. the regular engine's fixed 5 psi (0.3 bar). Rated output was 175 horsepower (130 kW) at 10 psi (0.7 bar), a big jump over the 132 horsepower (98 kW) stock mill. A $25,000 price tag and virtual hand construction limited McLaren production to just 10 units (including the prototype).

Looks like this is an ASC/McLaren, which looks like it's basically just a two-seater conversion?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

scapulataf posted:

Got ya. Hence the built autos that the serious draggers use, not just for handling the extra power.

Well, you also don't need gears you'll never see when you're living life a 1/4 mile at a time.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

scapulataf posted:

No fuckin poo poo. I pay 1800 a year for a fuckin '09 Corolla.
I'm 31, no tickets, one accident in 1998, and a suspension in 2000. They say that that poo poo is supposed to come off your record after 6(?) years but even now when I mention the suspension, they say "Oh, well, thats going to affect your rates" :fist:

Maybe stop mentioning it then?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

RockSmart posted:

They'll "come down on you" (call you) and tell you that they're increasing your premium to exactly what it would have been if you'd told them. There is no reason to mention violations that should be off your record.

It's a computer algorithm that determines your risk, not some guy with a grudge against you.

And if you're dumb enough to volunteer information to them, they'll be happy to note that and use it to raise your rate. They're going to run a check anyway, why bother saying anything?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

RockSmart posted:

Today the dealer offered a Kona Blue 2011 GT Premium with electronics package, comfort package, and the 19" machined wheels for 32,900, which is about $3000 below invoice.

Should I push harder? I used USAA's pricing service which takes almost all the negotiation out of it... I feel like I should have to fight a little bit. Is this a good deal or what?

Also, it doesn't come with the 3.73s. There's another one WITH the 3.73s, but he said a chain fell on the hood at delivery and they had to paint the hood and replace the windshield. I asked if they were knocking off money for selling a damaged car and he said no.

But it has the 3.73's and I've heard its expensive to do them aftermarket.

So... pristine w/o 3.73s, or repaired with... and should I be getting a better price?

Why on earth would it be expensive to do? You just pop off the cover on your oxcart, pull out the old gears, install the new ones.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

First mod will be swapping in an automatic to make it (break) faster (so I can spend 20 years working on it).

FTFY

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

The same reason that's the only track 99% of the ones that go outside of a garage will ever see: Turns is hard.

There's no TIME to turn when you live your life a 1/4 of a mile at a time.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wombot posted:

Soooo it looks like a 5.0 is going to be my Christmas or birthday (March) present to myself. I kinda want to wait until March because I live in Seattle and don't relish driving it through our nasty winters (and winter drivers), but I don't know if I'll be able to wait those extra 3 months.

Order it in December, then it'll be ready by March. Problem solved?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

PT6A posted:

Just get a set of snow tires and you'll be able to deal with pretty much anything Seattle winter can throw at you. I drove mine in the winter in Calgary (albeit not on the worst days, because I didn't want to deal with the traffic nightmares) and had no problems whatsoever, even in some terrible conditions (they don't plow residential streets at all, so there's always plenty of snow and ice on them).

The problem with Seattle winters isn't so much what the weather will throw at you, but the fact that other drivers tend to like to throw their CARS at you.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Oxytocin posted:

Seriously. Try a gridlocked downtown Seattle or San Francisco on a rainy day with road construction driving on summer radials and nearly 30 degree inclines. I have to turn the loving radio off so I can hear the engine revs and not stall out or spinout during the stop and go.

You guys know that this is one of the functions of the e-brake, right?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I am not a perfect manual driver. I'm probably in the lower quartiles. But I can use the ebrake maneuver to help on hills. That said, driving in stop and go is a chore, and I disagree with the guy who said heavy traffic is its own punishment. It's even more of a drag with a manual.

I drive a manual with a 2600 lb. pressure plate in stop-and-go traffic. You guys are whining about nothing.

(walks in circles)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

shodanjr_gr posted:

I also pulled the codes with the tuner and this came up:

"P1000 OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete."

Looking online it seems that this code is normal after an tune flash and it goes away by itself?

That sounds like a standard code that means "you cut power to the ECU and killed the history". OBD II pulls a flag like this so people don't try to avoid emissions failures based on faulty equipment; some sensors need a certain amount of time/distance in order to have proper verification of function.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

ATTN Ford: The new 5.0 fits in the Ranger nicely. This is a good idea.

Except for the fact that they're discontinuing the Ranger, right?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

They made approximately a billion of them though. There are over 50 for sale for under 10k within 25 miles of where I live; half of those are going for less than 5k.

That doesn't make for a good ATTN: Ford though, more of a ATTN: Ranger owners.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Can you think of a better way to send the Ranger off? Tell me you wouldn't buy the poo poo out of a baby Lightning.

I wouldn't buy the poo poo out of a baby Lightning.

(Totally lying)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The 5.7l Hemi in the Dodge Ram puts out more power than either the 3.5l turbo or the 5.0l, and gets mileage in between, only because it's still sitting in front of a 5 speed trans instead of the Ford's 6 speed. It is also substantially cheaper than either. GM's 6.2l engine is even more powerful than the Chrysler's 5.7 and gets the same fuel economy in the Silverado with the 6 speed as the 5.0l Ford, although I think you can only get it on the expensive top trim truck.

So gently caress your turbo this and turbo that. OHV V8s are where it's at. :colbert:

Tell us more about your HEMI that isn't actually a HEMI.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

I'm going to take a guess and say the next Mustang will be the biggest disappointment since Ford stopped making Mustangs in 1974.

It's going to have IRS and be manual-only. You're going to hate it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

What exactly causes 'orange peel' anyway?

Basically, painting a car. It's a pain to get the spray completely even, and "orange peel" is how that's described. You do a wet sand step to even the paint out.

Hey, here's some Wikipedia information!

"Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint."

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

This isn't 1987 anymore; you can buy badass stuff from the aftermarket.

Hell, you can buy badass stuff direct from Ford these days.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

New wheels installed, thanks to this thread. Lowering springs and suspension will go on soon. Anyone want to buy some old brembo wheels?!

Parkin' hard, brah.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

shodanjr_gr posted:

Well, I i don't know if my 2008 qualifies as fair if you take into account that it needs rear tires and could use pads/rotor resurfacing at the front AND is due for its maintenance...

MSRP on the 2012 performance package is $25100 (including destination) - $10500 for the trade $14600 * 1.0865 for tax = 15862.9 after tax. He's letting it go for $13500 which is $2362.9 in savings. Ford is doing a $500 cash incentive right now on 2012s and thats it...

It feels ok to me. Not spectacular but I feel like its worth it for getting exactly the car that I wanted...

He's doing the typical "trade-in game" to make it look like you're getting a better deal than you actually are. This is why you settle on a price for a car before you start talking about whether or not you're doing a trade-in.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Interesting. I'm going to have to look around a bit more, then. Mine has the H pipe, and it seems ... louder than most. I'm not sure what's been done to it, but the PO said the exhaust was stock.

Not that I mind at all, but it sounds like a drat powerboat getting on the freeway. Which is awesome.

I found this through google ("battery terminal multiple connections"), you'll have to pick out which one would work for you and whether you want to buy from here (probably not):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i256_battery-terminals.html

I've got the stinger one on my car, works pretty well.

Another option is a battery that has both top and side posts, and you connect your aftermarket gear to the terminal your stock vehicle doesn't use.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Aberroyc posted:

Definitely worth a shot for $9. My biggest problem is that they would re-oxidize fairly quick after.

The Sylvania kit I bought has a UV coat you add as the last step to specifically combat this.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

erock posted:

I am picking up a 65 GT in a week or so and wanted to know if there is anything specific I should be looking into replacing / upgrading for general drivability. This won't be a show car, just something fun for summer weekends. Right now I am planning on putting disk breaks on. Any input or ideas would be great.

I'd recommend against disk breaks on that car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Stereo systems that come with cars (even the 'premium' ones that are options) are pretty much universally poo poo. I have no idea why this is the case, as it's clearly not a price problem, but it's loving everywhere.

It's ALWAYS about price. Saving $50/ea when you're ordering 500,000 units is a serious chunk of change.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rabble posted:

Well, I got a nail stuck right smack dab in the center of my tire so out came the "tire inflation kit" that I got instead of a spare. Surprisingly, it worked pretty well. Not as well as a goddamn spare tire, but I'm running around on a ghetto sealed tire with a nail in it until I can get to the tire shop.

A+ would puncture again.

I pity the poor bastard that's going to have to work on your tire.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Mustang MuscleShirtThread: The cupholder/ashtray location is a legit test parameter

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I thought there's laws that say you can't invalidate a warranty unless whatever a person modified on the car directly caused whatever problem there is.

I'm pretty sure disabling knock sensors and leaning the poo poo out of your A/F ratio will probably be pretty easy to link to blowing an engine.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Devyl posted:

My WTF question is this: If the dealership is telling you that your rear-end is totally shot, how is it still completely safe to drive? The only thing I can really think of making that sound would be your rear gears, axles, or driveshaft. If one of those are totally shot, then it definitely isn't safe to drive.

"We don't want to pay for a rental car for 2-3 months while we wait for parts".

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rhyno posted:

My best buddy is looking to buy a 2005 Mustang V6 Auto with 51,000 miles. (Silence Viggen, it's not for me). The dealer is asking $10,000 and my friend is expecting him to drop it to $8000, very unrealistic. The car's had two rear end accidents which have been repaired. No salvage title. I'm stressing to him not to buy it based on it being boring and been in accidents but he's being headstrong and kind of dumb about this.
So that said, what she he look for as far as issues with the car since he's going to make a worse decision that I ever have as far as cars go.

Tell him he's a dumbshit that's going to have to deal with what's coming to him and wash your hands of the whole affair.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rhyno posted:

This guy is literally my best friend in the world. I'm trying to keep him from making a huge mistake. Just me saying "don't buy it, its a pile of poo poo" won't work.

Sometimes you just gotta stand back and let your friends make a stupid decision. Kind of like letting them date that hot chick with the crazy eyes.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

lazer_chicken posted:

It's a bit of a stretch, but does anyone know anything about the factory AC units in early Mustangs? I'm looking at a '66 that comes with a broken factory AC unit. The seller claims it "needs a new compressor." I've never really messed with AC before, and I especially have no idea how the separate units like this work. I'm going on the assumption that it's totally hosed and would need to be completely rebuilt. Any ideas what that would cost? I know there are tons of aftermarket drop-in ac systems for these but I'd prefer to use the original.

A/C units aren't terribly complicated. You should be able to find a new compressor for it without much difficulty.

Rock Auto lists an A/C compressor for around $150-200, depending on if you get a new or reman unit. Bearing is sold separately in case that's what's failed, the compressor clutch is also a separate unit.

If it still has A/C in it (charged) you'll need to take it to a shop, they'll need to capture the freon before the compressor is removed and replaced. If the system is dry you can technically do the work in your driveway; I'd recommend converting to R134 or something though rather than using freon.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

If you can find that video, that would be awesome. In the meantime, I was thinking about something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5WPXo7vBo4

The guy in this video is running a DSS 331 short-block with a lot of sweet and rather simple looking mods, which has since become something of an inspiration for me. I floated the idea of a V8-swapped XR4Ti here once before, but my engine of choice then was a 3-valve 4.6 Mod + a turbo. I was recommended to instead consider a 302 and I hummed and hawed about it for a time. I had some misgivings towards the old 302, some of which weren't entirely well founded.

Here's a pic of the my current l'objet d'art in the summer time; currently, there's about a foot of snow on everything given that I live in Yellowknife. And yes, that is indeed a snow plow on top of it :stonk:

The thing that is attracting me to this thing like a moth to the flame is that it's a total project - I will pretty much have to do everything because I really want to expand my (lack of) skills. So yeah, if I can get this thing for a good price, I'll have a fairly long-term project car to sequester into a portable garage for the long, brutal winters up here.

Some crazy bastard stuck a TT V6 from a 300ZX in to an XR4TI way back when, they called it the "Scorch".

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ApathyGifted posted:

But the noise isn't coming from the tie rod ends? I'm probably wrong about it coming from inside the dust boots on the steering rack too (it's drat hard to pinpoint a high-pitched noise like that), but since it's coming from the direction of the rack itself and not the wheels I think the fix outlined in the TSB would be the way to go (since it's also the cheapest possibility I can think of). I've already ordered new bushings and a tube bracket, along with a torque wrench since I seem to have gotten through life without one so far.

Ummm, you know what's inside those dust boots on the steering rack, right?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kalvick posted:

I have a tuner, I got it from American Muscle, before it was a BAMA tune. I know some people had a problem with BAMA when the newer model of stangs came out. I dont know what the situation is with them now. I can tell you that I have never had any problems with it.

I think "blowing motors because they turned off the knock sensors" classifies as a little more than just a "problem".

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kalvick posted:

Agreed. Perhaps I should edit my post to say "MAJOR" problem. anyways..... what is the latest with BAMA? are they good now or do they still have issues?

I think there was talk in the thread about how they "fixed" the "issues", but I don't know if I'd want to trust a tuning company that at one time thought it was a good idea to turn of knock sensors.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kalvick posted:

Gearbox oil should last 20 to 30k, do you mean engine oil? thats good for about 5k. if its gearbox oil, just get whatever ford recommends.
if you want to start going synthetic with everything get royal purple.

There isn't really any good reason to spend the extra money for Royal Purple over say, Mobil 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kalvick posted:

Yea, but he was asking for Motorcraft or Royal Purple. Mobil 1 is also acceptable!

No, he was asking if there was any advantage to doing so.