Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

frozenphil posted:

FAQ
Spark plugs ejecting out of the head:
If you've heard of someone that has had a problem with spark plugs ejecting out of the head, more than likely they are using NGK plugs. The problem with the NGK application for the Mustang is that they allow a few threads from the body of the plug to be exposed into the cylinder head. Once those steel threads start heating up they will melt the aluminum head around them. Eventually enough aluminum melts away so as to allow the spark plug to be forcefully ejected from the head. The solution is to not use NGK plugs in your modular engine.

Mod motors do occasionally eject motorcraft plugs too, supposedly because they have less threads in the head than other motors to hold the plugs in. You can repair it with a new thread insert, Ford Motor Company approves warranty repairs using Lock N Stitch's anodized aluminum inserts but I've seen plenty of non-warranty repairs using Helicoils as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

PT6A posted:

I can't imagine anyone in such a climate would drive something as reasonably unsuitable for winter as a Mustang without putting on actual winter tires. I know I plan to get some winter tires.

People are retarded. My shop had to send out our wrecker to extract a phenomenal idiot from his own driveway because he figured the best way to deal with 18 inches of fresh snow was to put his Mustang in reverse and floor it until it barfed up all it's coolant. Two of our guys went, hooked up the winch to pull him out of the snow and onto the road so they can load him up on the flat bed. They tell him to give it a little bit of gas to help get it moving and stop once it's getting to the edge of the road.

So he floors it into the side of the wrecker. :downs: We billed him for the damage.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Sarthek posted:

Sorry about the iPhone photo guys, but I just wanted to double check: is the ATF in the engine block of my '66 289 supposed to be this colour?

... :gonk:

That doesn't GO there!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

BaronW posted:

If I'm ordering a V6 automatic will the 3.31s have a significant drop in MPG? My commute is ~52 miles round trip cruising at highway speed in the morning and hellish stop and go on the way back. (I basically drive the entire 105 freeway in LA)

Any difference in mileage due to the gearing will be infinitesimal.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

BaronW posted:

Will the acceleration improvement be worth $400, then? :confused:

That's really up to you, isn't it?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Wrar posted:

Does the new 3.7 V6 have any relation to the 3.5TT Ecoboost?

Yes, same block. All the Ecoboost engines have an NA counterpart. The Duratec 35 is the NA version of the Ecoboost 3.5l, and the Duratec 37 is bored out from the 35.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

PT6A posted:

I imagine removing the top-speed limiter, like the rev-limiter, is a rather trivial operation if you want it done.

Also, my V6 came with ZR-rated tires, so I think Ford sort of expects people to end up doing this if they want to.

It's trivial to change or remove the governor via tuner if you want to track it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

frozenphil posted:

Because I've gone back to school for my MEng and been in class. :(

Ford, gently caress you in the face for those colors! gently caress you so hard! Why did you have to gently caress up the one special edition I gave a gently caress about‽

The red/black ones they have pics of are kinda ugly but I think I like the yellow one in the video.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

kronix posted:

Mostly a moron. Although didn't we have a guy around here who was restoring a Mustang II only to have the thread end with some internet detectives finding out he was posting all over white supremacy boards?

It was actually a 72, so it wasn't a Mustang II. You can read the Saclopedia entry under "dalabast."

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

frozenphil posted:

That's basically a straight shot, giving most of the advantages of DI with none of the cost.

The engineers called it "Poor Man's Direct Injection" and specifically stated it was built with DI in mind. It'll be easy to add direct injection to the block, it just wasn't cost effective to make the high production number 5.0s DI.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

wodin posted:

I'm a complete idiot about customer service but I figured it might be worth talking to Ford to see if I could get the snafu with the drivetrain warranty straightened out - is talking to (http://www.ford.com/owner-services/customer-support/contact-ford) going to piss off my dealer? My plan was to go in tomorrow morning, get the written estimate for replacement + their best guess as to what happened and see if they'd be willing to honor the warranty (which is apparently not in my name but I understood to have transferred when I purchased the car), and then chat with the Ford customer support people if not.

No it will not upset them. Either the dealership or FMC should be able to transfer the remaining ESP into your name. The transfer fee is ~$75.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The dealership I work at won a lotto with FMC to receive one of the Boss 302 Laguna Seca editions allotted to our region. I hope we get the black one. :3:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

frozenphil posted:

Sorry, the correct color for the Boss 302 is Calypso Coral.

The Laguna Seca comes in black or silver according to our ordering guide. The silver with red/orange accents looks kinda bleh, the black one looks hot.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

BDawg posted:

Ugh... I don't like the light blue. The Kona Blue is definitely nice as is the Candy Apple Red.

The web configurator has a yellow color that's not in the dealer brochure. Is that a legit color?

And I swore I'd never get another metallic paint car...

Blaze Yellow Metallic, it's a legit color. Same yellow that's available on the top trim Fiestas.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

shodanjr_gr posted:

So the retarded "belt-sander on red rim" color scheme apparently is reserved only for the laguna seca trim?

Yes. The regular 302 gets the more sedate black wheels with a bright rim. I think the red ones look okay on the black Laguna Seca but pretty bad on the silver one.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

oRenj9 posted:

I'm interested to see how the V6 holds up to boost over time. If they do seem to hold up well and this kit is cheap enough, the sixer may just end up a better used deal than the GT, especially if the 2011 keeps up the historically terrible depreciation that has plagued the V6 in the past. Picking up one of these for $13k in three years and slapping on this charger with some suspension and 3.73s would make for a hell of a car.

(I hope this kit doesn't end up being $5k.)

The 3.7L V6 is a variant of the 3.5L block used for both the Duratec 35 and the Ecoboost V6, it should hold up fine under boost.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Presto posted:

Apparently Ford's solution for the rough shifting is this:

It seems many people think this is BS. v:geno:v

Yeah, this is most likely a band-aid while they're trying to implement a real solution.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Throatwarbler posted:

Yo dawg

That's hot is what that is.

PT6A posted:

They're easier to clean unless you really gently caress something up. That's all I've got.

They don't trap odors or animal hair as much either.

Agreeing with the guy above me, replacing the speakers with some decent aftermarket ones will improve the sound quality very noticeably.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 29, 2011

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

kronix posted:

I doubt it. From what I understand, the most any dealership is going to get is 1 or 2 if they're really lucky and they're not going to waste their allocation selling it for sticker price if they think they can do better.

Or maybe they will, who knows.

Laguna Secas are distributed by internal lottery, there are at least a dozen dealers in my region and 3 cars alotted for all of us.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

kimbo305 posted:

Are the normal Bosses lotteried, too? Are the 3 cars you're talking about all Laguna Secas? I really don't need a back seat delete or a bigger splitter to ruin on something.

e: on Ford's Find Your Vehicle page, the wizard doesn't validate your address against the zipcode you put in, so I just spammed the request using zipcodes of some nearby city centers, to cast the net a bit wider.

Just Laguna Secas, regular Bosses are distributed the normal way: to fulfill orders and a number of stock vehicles alotted per region.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

sleepness posted:

Hello goons.

I have a rather newbie question. (I'm basically car retarded)

Just getting my first full time job and saving up a decent bit of money, I finally think I'm ready to purchase my first mustang! I've always wanted one, and the 2012s look dreamy to me. (For reference, its the V6 coupe)

However, my question is in the realm of practicality. Since it would be my only car, would it be simply unpractical to purchase one due to the RWD aspect of it? Midwest winters get nasty, and while I love the car, I don't know if its a good option.

I've only driven a FWD my entire life, and am nervous about spending tons of money only to have a car that doesn't drive in winter. I WOULD be buying snow tires in winter, so please factor that into any advice :)

Get a set of inexpensive steel wheels with good quality snow tires. First time it snows, baby it to an empty parking lot and screw around to get a feel for how it responds on the snow.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Presto posted:

Ford seems either unwilling or unable to provide a real solution.

This is basically Ford mumbling and looking at it's shoes while the engineers are in a back room desperately trying to come up with a real fix.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

frozenphil posted:

Eh, it's not a fabulous price, but it's not bad. If that's the car you want, go for it.

Not if you want a factory color. Mach 1s got the badass Azure Blue instead.

My boss races a mach 1 that color. Lovely car, too bad about the driver. :v:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Slow is Fast posted:

You mean it shuts off early at the pump?

If that's the case, my dads car does it. Turns out its a huge problem and a PITA to fix. Solution? He just turns the nozzle sideways at the pump. Go figure.

Blow the tank vent lines out with compressed air, spiders get in them and block up the works making the nozzle click off early.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
So my dealership got our Laguna Seca in today, put it in the showroom this morning and I was like "I'll go snap some pics at lunch for the mustang thread while I get a better look at it."

It was gone within two hours. v:shobon:v I only got to see it drive by out the window. It was the black one and while the orange roof is a little much it's pretty drat sharp looking.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

shodanjr_gr posted:

So apparently Ford has had a TSB out on the noise pre-2009 Mustangs make when going over speedbumps. Looks like new UCAs. And all this time I thought it was just a noisy car (driving an NA miata for most of my life made me resistant to rough rides).

Just as my warranty ran out :/.

If that's the TSB I'm thinking of it's no big deal, the noise won't get any worse and it won't damage anything. There's an updated lower control arm with improved bushing. If you want to PM me I can double check the coverage for you.

A.o.D. posted:

TSBs are not necessarily recalls. They're just updates on known maintenance issues. Don't go into a dealership with a printout of a TSB from teh internet demanding your pound of flesh, you won't get free service and you won't make many friends.

TSBs are never recalls. Recalls are FSAs or "customer satisfaction programs."

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Number_6 posted:

Some of y'all are kinda hard on Bama on this issue. I don't know a lot about the situation, but on various forums I read that at least one of the popped engines was on the FRPP (Ford Racing) tune, and others have been stock. Can anyone point me to data or information that "implicates" Bama?

I'm following this closely because I'd like to use a tune to perk up* my 5.0, but I don't want to get into a warranty issue.

*I don't even feel like I need more power, but Ford's stock throttle response is not crisp, and the auto tranny shifts like an old man's Cadillac. The 5.0 automatics need a tune just for driveability.

I may be wrong but I'm reasonably sure mods from FRPP are a-ok for your warranty, even the tunes. We don't do a huge amount of Mustangs but we've had some with FRPP mods and it wasn't a coverage issue.

They're actually not too cancel happy, unless your aftermarket stuff is directly causing the problem you can swap your stock stuff back in and usually get the problem covered. How easy that is is another story, usually with our customers it's telling them to remove the plug-in chip and pop the stock airbox back on their diesel trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

shodanjr_gr posted:

If I get new wheels and tires can I have the TPMSs remounted to the new set at a place like Discount Tire? Don't think I can justify $200 for a new set of something I already own :/.

Yes. They're either in the valve stems or held to the wheel with what's basically a huge worm clamp, I dunno offhand which style your stang has but they can be swapped to a new set of wheels no problem.