Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

oRenj9 posted:

I had the opportunity to toss an Ecoboost around a course at one of Ford's Ecoboost Challenge events. I ended up taking the convertible because it had the 50th Anniversary package on it, while the others had the base wheel/tire package.

The car is an upgrade in every way. The steering wheel is full leather now, so no more burns from the hot plastic and the seats are nearly as well bolstered as the Recaros. Even with the added weight of the convertible, the car pulled really well from a stop. These things had been hammered on all morning and the engine still felt really strong, there was no evidence of heat soak with this motor.

The biggest upgrade is the suspension. It's hard to express just how much better the car handles than the previous generation. The rear end-end stays composed in the corners and the body roll is minimal. I tossed it hard through a slalom at the top of second and barely scrubbed any speed. The car felt very neutral and planted. I was shocked at how well it did.

I picked up an Ecoboost with the performance pack,manual, and cloth recaros and it handles even better than the stock ones, being the lightest config doesn't hurt either. I think the PP has stiffer coil springs, bigger sway bars, rear gearing is different and the brakes are great. I test drove a 13 GT with a SLP exhaust and while it sounded amazing the ride and refinement doesn't even touch the 2015. I will miss my Fiesta ST, but I love cruising on the highway in near silence without the car tracking all over the place.
Only downside is it's Oxford White, but it looks pretty good with the gloss black PP wheels. I'll post up pictures when I'm not being lazy. I can't wait to start modding this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

ilkhan posted:

Nice.
Between the lighter engine, the recaros, and the PP suspension, that will be a handling monster.
I'm not a fan of white, but white/black is a sharp looking combo.

And yes, the EB PP gets you the 3.55 gearing, otherwise its 3.31 like the base GTs get (like mine). A good tune will make that a beast.

I'm not a fan of white either, buy hey whatever I got a really good deal on it, I think I'll live. I can't wait to get out to my local autocross/hpde day trying to convince the wife to take her Abarth too. When I get on my computer I'll be sure to throw some pictures up white doesn't look that bad on the 15's.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Dumb question, can turning the wheel with the car in accessorie (I think) (not actually on) hurt the steering with the fancy EPAS system? I had to crank my wheels with the car off to install the stupid MMR intake.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Well that was fast. Cut my mufflers off, got an overpriced metal tube, and installed a custom tune from Torrie of Unleashed Tuning. Supposedly close to 380 torque at the wheels on 93. This thing feels like an animal, the tune really woke it up. It almost feels as quick off the line as the 13 GT I test drove.

BrownieVK fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 20, 2015

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

thetechnoloser posted:

Holy smokes dude even with the timgs you're still blowing me out at 1920x1080.

Crap. I'll fix it as soon as I hop on a computer trying to post from a phone sucks.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
This is the place that I got my tune from. I dont know how BS these numbers are, but my car feels awesome now, I couldn't stop laughing anytime I would rip through 2nd and 3rd.
There is some dyno charts on this page.
http://www.unleashedtuning.com/ecoboost-mustang/

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

I put my MAPerformance cai in the Ecoboost today and I absolutely love the sounds the car makes now. The car won't ever have a good exhaust tone but at least I can enjoy the fun turbo sounds.

Also the difference using good 93 made after getting rid of the lovely 87 the dealer filled the tank with was surprising. I knew it was down on power but it's so much more responsive now. Really enjoying the car more and more every day.

I should have gotten that one I stead of MMR (poor customer service). Let me know if you get the annoying cruising in 5th or 6th BOV venting for no reason like I do. Apparently it's 100% normal because the valve is electronic so any tiny let off of throttle and its like pssshhhh.

Now you need a tune. I really really recommend Unleashed Tuning. It's $400 and they give you custom revisions for when you slap new parts on. It's one of the more aggressive tunes and the SCT X4 isn't that bad.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

Somewhat random but I figured it was worth posting anyway.

When I had switched from my Fiesta to the Mustang I felt that the Mustang was better in every way except one thing. Perhaps because of how small the car was and how rev happy the engine was, the Fiesta always seem really eager to play and have fun. When I had first gotten the Mustang I didn't really get any sort of feel from the car at all. Maybe it was shock from switching to a car that's 2 feet longer and 800lbs heavier but the car just seemed complacent to lumber about. I've since done a couple mods to the car that I don't feel have really changed the overall feel of the car but 1: the rear swaybar. It doesn't seem like it would make that big of a difference but it was so clear and obvious after I installed it. The cars rear end went from sort of jiggling across the road to a nice firm rotation(this is on an EB which also has slightly better turn in over the GT thanks to the lighter front). The feel was amazing and really let me explore what the car could do more. There is a feel of playfulness and eagerness. It's there, it's just at a higher level than the Fiesta(one thats basically not legal on most public roads).

tldr: Mustang just as fun as Fiesta

I just ordered an Accessport from MAP and look forward to working with their tuning also. This car is only going to get more fun.

I also noticed this coming from a Fiesta ST, my Ecoboost handles great but I think the speed and the limits are much higher before you feel like your having fun. The FiST you could hammer it everywhere and chuck it into every corner and it was so much fun.

The tune, intake and muffler delete made the Ecoboost feel almost like a different car, its way louder and more rowdy. What sway bar did you go with? I'm planning on doing springs, and a downpipe once I sell some video game stuff laying around.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Gwaihir posted:

Only thing to keep in mind is summer/performance tires will turn in to hockey pucks below 40 degrees or so. So for the few weeks where it is actually close to freezing, just keep a light touch on the gas until the tires have a chance to warm up. Otherwise you'll be going sideways immediately.

e: It doesn't gently caress them up at all, you just get less traction until they're warmer.

I had to explain this to my wife when I accidentally got mine sideways at the first light form my house at 4am. Made my butthole pucker, she's like why do these tires exist blah blah.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Important!
It's 30 deg USA units outside right now. I still have the stock Pzeros on.

Will I crash into a light pole and die on the way to home depot?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

ilkhan posted:

You wont if you treat it like you're driving on ball bearings. Which you are.
You weren't kidding. Even with traction fully on, leaving stoplights I could hear the wheels trying to spin before the car would cut power. Had to be careful going.around sharp bends too I could tell it just wanted to slide around.
Also I meant Fahrenheit, no idea why I typed USA units.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

Does anyone else's mt82 get really loud and notchy and unpleasant when it gets cold? Looking at forums it seems pretty common. I'm about to get some Red Line in hopes it helps it out some.

Mine feels like rear end too, once its warmed up its a little better but the 1-2 shift always "crunches" on me almost like the clutch isn't all the way in and its missing the gate super annoying...
Not that it's getting driven with the summer tires still on it with temps in the low 30's lol.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Bandire posted:

Joined team DIB last night. I was biding my time and saving, but some guy special ordered exactly what I wanted and walked away. I took that as a sign to just buy the loving thing.

Loving it so far. It's going to take me some time to get used to the sky high clutch engagement point, but other than that it is awesome. It might be a month or two before I even bother turn on the stereo.

Take the clutch assist spring out, I took mine out 5 miles after buying mine. Best mod I've done so far and it was free.
Makes the clutch feel a little heavier but you can actually feel what its doing.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

Man louvers look good on that generation. I like louvers in general but they look so bad on the s550.

I have a pretty long list of things I want to do this summer also but god knows if I'll get around to it/have the money.
Got my wheels and tires coming this month, next month I'm hoping to do cold side pipe and HKS bov swap(stock bpv is terrible It's time to get something good).
Maybe in may I'll be able to do suspension, the koni yellows are supposed to finally be out then. No real plans after that but I have a custom wastegate coming from tune+ at some point so Ill install that and probably retune.
I'd like to do MGW shifter install and maybe meth or downpipe also. So much to do so little money :smith:

I'd like to hear about the tune+ waste gate when you get it on I missed out on the sale, I guess he is making them to order and when they're gone tough tits.
Yes a thousand times on the BOV my stock one is driving me insane with my MMR intake and I can't decide BOV by itself or get the charge pipe too, I'm looking at HKS and the Turbosmart.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Cage posted:

More de-mustanging.

Edit: ill work on a new bumper next summer :p

You need some patina and spikes to go with that kick rear end plate bruh.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

For the 2 people with EBs that were curious about the upgraded actuator, I finally finished tuning and can give trip report.

Basically I have more boost everywhere and it's much more stable. It's not a dramatic difference but the power delivery is just smoother overall. Car seems much happier after I installed the hks bov and now the upgraded wastegate.

Here's the boost curve from the last pull I did:

16 is 2.5k where I went WOT and 154 is redline. Boost peak was 23psi.

Thanks I was waiting for you to post this! Looks like I'll be picking one up as soon as I make the switch to Tune+
Lesson learned in being a cheapass, you really do get what you pay for. (SCT has nowhere near the features of the Cobb)

How annoying is the HKS? I can't remember if you have an intake but I have an MMR and its already mega loud.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

Edit edit edit edit

I'd be up for snagging the waste gate, just gotta make sure if I still have SCT (Unleashed tuning) that there isn't a special config file to run the wastegate. You would think it would just be bolt on.

The stock BOV opening randomly is driving me insane to the point I thought of putting the stock intake back on. I've been going back and forth HKS and Turbosmart. So the HKS got rid of the random venting?
I bought a tripod and external mic for my DSLR to do just that with the Abarth, my 75 shitpile F150 and the stang but I'm too drat lazy.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Those motors sound soooo good. You need to slap a GoPro on your rear bumper and get a vid rowing through the gears.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

H2SO4 posted:

Yeah, I'm just wary about going too far off the reservation while the car's under warranty at least. There's a ton of different tunes out there and I see threads not infrequently on m6g about someone blowing an engine because they're running a "summer" tune during cold weather and poo poo like that. I figured going milder with a "big name" tune would be safer.

Talk me out of that so I can get stupid.

I've had my Ecostang tuned since about 6-700 miles on it. First by Unleashed tuning with the SCT (decent tune, garbage device he made me run separate winter and summer tunes) and now at 20,000 I just switched to Tune+ with a Cobb Accessport. I have a Levels intercooler on the way and will be running an E30 tune.

I have had zero issues with my car being tuned. The golden rule is to avoid LSPI and you will be fine so no flooring it in 5th or 6th when you are at 1300 rpms or some dumb poo poo like that. I would stay away from livernois and Lund. 90% of the failures I see are on the early Spain built engines with those tuners. Canned tunes I also would shy away from, with protunes you send datalogs back and forth to get everything dialed in just right.

With my current mods I can embarrass Challengers and most Camaro SS's (up to 2016 mind you) from a dig. With the rest of the junk I have on the way I should be close to 360+ whp on E30 so go get tuned!!! Changes the car completely!

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'll miss the V6 because I think they sound pretty awesome with a full exhaust. Turbo-4 noises have always been kind of a letdown to me.

https://youtu.be/bDAHDHUjHUw

That's fine because even the most mildly modded Ecoboost will be too far away for the V6 driver to hear how bad it sounds. (also applies to most GT's as well)
😈

The Coyote and especially the Voodoo are some of the best sounding motors on this planet so that's not really fair haha.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Have fun with the intercooler install! I recently put on my Levels intercooler and it was a pain in the rear end. I forgot to plug in the ambient air temp sensor so now the car thinks it's 188 degrees out all the time. I'm to lazy to pull it apart again.
Watch out for the 7mm bolts on the corners of the bumpers in the wheel well.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

Did you have an easy time getting the bumper back on? When I did my IC I went in from the bottom since it was stock location.

I'm going to be getting new grills soon and ripping out the AGS system so I'll need to pull the bumper off. Not looking forward to putting it all back together.

I'm gonna be honest it wasn't fun. I'm no stranger to wrenching but there's a lot of fiddly things you have to do. Getting the old grilles out was the hardest part believe it or not. They are held in with some insane clips that took me and a helper to pop out. I ended up clipping the old grilles plastic tabs off with some cutters.

Everything else is pretty straight forward. Pull splash guard, pop clips out of wheel wells enough to pull the liner back, unclip all lighting connectors, undo top radiator cover clips and bolts (don't forget the tiny 5.5 mm ones right under the rubber close to the headlights) Then make sure you have a 7mm ratcheting wrench for the single bolt under the headlights that hold the bumper on (these were a bitch). Then you pull up and out on the corners under the headlights (do this when it's warm to lessen the chance of breaking the clips). I broke a tab on mine but it went back together fine.
The AGS system is a mess, there's a hidden 5 or 6mm bolt that keeps it from coming straight out. There's two harness you might accidentally unclip the ambient air temp sensor (MAKE SURE ITS PLUGGED BACK IN!!) and the actual AGS motor. They can both be plugged back and ziptied out of the way, or your tuner can tune out the light for AGS.

Set aside an entire morning or afternoon it took me way longer than I thought. I could do one in half the time after doing it once.
Good luck!

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

H2SO4 posted:

Looking good! Amusingly enough I was just looking at the instructions for the Levels intercooler because ETS didn't provide anything. Looks simple enough, and while the front bumper is off I'll swap the grilles and change the turn signal bulbs to switchbacks.

I was going to get an ETS (in gold) but got a good deal on this. The levels video is one of the best ones for an install guide.
Side note: The levels dude is so ripped from lifting these intercoolers all day good lord that thing was awkward to hold in and bolt up myself.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

H2SO4 posted:

Here's the finished product.

Looking good! Those grilles were the worst for me too. I just cut all of the grille tabs off. I think you are in one of the Facebook Ecoboost pages, I've seen that second picture haha.
These cars are really fun to work on for the most part. So much room in the engine bay with half a motor haha.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lmao I'm getting worse MPG in my Ecoboost than some of you 5.0 guys. I'm getting around 18-19 on an E30 blend.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

No grille= cooler charge temps

Can confirm, with my grille delete and the Levels intercooler it's hilarious how cool the charge temps stay. They will climb if sitting in traffic or anything but as soon as you get rolling it falls down to only a few above ambient.

With all of the added timing from running low charge temps I would even recommend a more open grille and intercooler to people even running bone stock Ecoboosts.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lol I pull on stock and bolt on 5.0 GT's in my FBO ecoboost on E30. My car sounds like poo poo but at least it's fast. I will admit the sound of an uncorked coyote is very tempting. I really like the features of the 18MY but that front end is just 🤢

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lol I too swapped my mustang with a truck. Grabbed a 2015 F150 5.0 and lowered my payments. It is not fast :(

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I was also tuned by Adam at Tune+. Tuned for 25,000 miles most of which was running E30 mixing it with a calculator. Never had a single issue and he was always really quick to correct or tweak something if I didn't like it. I really should have dyno'd mine before I traded it, drat thing was fast.
I miss it now thanks mustang thread.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Cage posted:

Rebuy the mustang.

I plan on picking up another in a few years when the price craters. I've been looking at new edge GTs right now.... That 4.6 sounds so drat good with longtubes, xpipe and and some mufflers.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Man I really miss my Ecoboost lol. Also the line lock is a lie. I have Forscan and I've gotten really good at navigating the command blocks ( I use it on my F150) and there was no way to add line lock on my '15 ecoboost.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Oxford white is just the best on S550's and that stance is perfect. Looks amazing!

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lol

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'm having a hell of a time selling my GT350. Largely a comedy of errors and timing but god drat, so many people walk away because my 2016 track pack doesn't have the navigation screen. Sad commentary on the market.

I think what people really want is a 2017+ tech package at 2016 base prices. Very frustrating.

This is extra stupid since you can easily replace the stock with even an oem unit for cheap. I did that on my ecostang. If I wasn't already up to my nipples in debt I would be hitting you up for that gt350

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

fps_bill posted:

Something weird happened on the way home from work today. For about a mile through town my rear brakes were making a godawful screeching noise. Id apply some brake and its go away, let off and its fine back. Then it stopped all together.

Rock probably got trapped between the backing plate and rotor. I've had that happen across several vehicles randomly and it makes the worst sound ever. Usually driving in reverse and stopping pops it out.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I think you guys are underestimating just how amazingly stupid most of the general population is. Add in RWD and some power and lack of driving skill and or awareness of vehicle maintenance (TIRES!) and you get dipshits plowing into everything for our amusement.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Wouldn't donuts be more appropriate?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

Broken shift forks seem common in whatever they did to the mt82 in the 18s(I have no idea why and it doesn't seem to be happening with the 19s) and you need a tune for e85.

You do not need a tune on E85 flex fuel 5.0s unless it's somehow not a flex fuel. The factory computer adjusts. I run E85 in my F150 99% of the time and I haven't gotten a tune yet. I can notice the bump in power in the truck, even has more pops crackles from my exhaust on E.
Obviously tune is the best way to go gen 3 coyotes make massive gains with simple bolt ons.
There might be Ford performance calibration pack that maintains warranty.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Well drat I looked it up and you guys are right! That's really strange I wonder what the reasoning for that is? Im assuming in the truck it's a cost thing to run Flex especially in Midwestern states but isn't the hardware and sensors still present on the mustang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Seamonster posted:

Coyotes pulled from junked F150s are very popular from what I've seen. It saves a pile of $$. Almost all the coyote'd fox bodies I've seen have F150 pulled engines.

They also like boost :)