Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
SHUT THE gently caress UP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
SHUT THE gently caress UP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
So last week I went out and test drove a 2010YM GT Premium, I was incredibly impressed with that 4.6L and made me pretty much want on one the spot, 5.0L or not.

I can't wait to check out a 2011YM with the 5.0L when a lot around me gets one, might be a while since it's hard to find manual cars here in the Seattle area unless you special order them...apparently all these rich businessmen don't want to shift their expensive sports cars luxury icons! :qq:

I also read somewhere that the new V6 sounds absolutely fantastic, is there any first-hand truth to this claim?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Oxytocin posted:

Check out Ford of Bellevue. They had a few with manual last I checked.

Yeah, I just noticed that! I got curious and went to the website last night and saw they have a 2011YM GT Premium 6SP on the lot, I might have to go check that out in my free time :allears:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Oxytocin posted:

I agree, but it's loving Seattle - unless you're buying a white Subaru Outback it's like they suspect you of being a partner of Microsoft.

Horsepower = not green = luxury

Solution: buy in neighboring state and at least avoid taxes.

Seriously this, ill never buy my next car in Washington, gonna go to Oregon for that.

And ill take pics of the sticker and let you all know what they try and sell It to me at just for kicks. Right now I think they're asking a hair under 40 for it

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Powershift posted:

Been wanting to do this for a while, but just finally got forza again.

I think I stared at this without blinking for a good ten minutes. It's truly amazing how much, and yet, so little has changed about the Mustang over the years.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Radiohead71 posted:

Good video comparing the GT to the BMW M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

Excellent video, Randy Pobst is such a good guy. It really irks me though when the Mustang is always paired against cars that are a hundred times more sophisticated, cost tens of thousands of dollars more, and it barely finishes behind them. As the guy in the video said "a win is a win" and they then tear the car down because it's like 1/10th of a second slower in an unofficial lap (even though it's 0-60 is the same and it brakes faster than the M3 in the same test) than it's incredibly high competition and that instantly makes it the loser, seriously :wtc:

I agree with kimbo - the Mustang won't even come close to closing the cost gap of both cars with an upgrade or two and then will be twice the car it was.

That review reminds me of the time Road & Track did a test on the top model Viper versus the Corvette Z06 and the Viper absolutely destroyed the Corvette in every test...and the Viper preceded to lose because "the ride quality is too harsh for street use and it doesn't come equipped with a cup holder" :psyduck: I just don't take these 'professional' reviews seriously anymore.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

frozenphil posted:

You can buy them through the Ford Racing catalog.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/Vehicles1.asp

And people ask me why I love Ford so much...

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

mod sassinator posted:

Isn't the 427R named because it makes 427 horsepower from a blown modular V8 (guessing 4.6 liter), not because it's a 427 big block?

That's pretty much it - http://www.roushperformance.com/performance_vehicles/ford/mustang/2010/427r.shtml

You can read the page if you want, but basically they took the stock 4.6L and modified it to have 430HP and 400lb-ft of torque, where they got 427 out of that :iiam:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Hooch302 posted:

It either needs to lose the splitter/diffuser or the hood. Having both makes the front end look too heavy/blunt. The rest isn't too bad. Could probably lose the C window covers though.

I agree, but at the same time I disagree because that's taking everything that makes it a visually loud and crazy car away and making it look more like a modified GT. My personal opinion is like Omegaslast's - for that much horsepower it can look like whatever the hell it wants. At second glance though they could have done better with the rims for $75K :colbert:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

frozenphil posted:

How much tuning ability is there in the stock ECU?

That is pretty much the coolest car related thing I've seen or heard in the past few days. It's just so raw! What did they use on the ECU to make that happen?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

iwentdoodie posted:

So you're saying you want the transmission to be made in Mexico instead?

The Ford Fusion has some of the best reliability ratings in the industry and it's made in Mexico so v:shobon:v

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
In case anybody is interested, Ford had an awesome weekend at Long Beach by taking both the overall victory and the GT and GTS class wins. Brandon Davis drove his Ford Mustang Cobra to the Overall and GT Class victory with Paul Brown in his Mustang Boss 302S being awarded 1st in GTS class after Jason von Kluge’s Boss 302S failed post-race inspection. Ford took 4 of the top 5 finishing positions in GTS with Brown in first, Crosland in a FR500S inheriting second, Cunningham in an Acura TSX in third, followed by Adams and Cole in their FR500S Mustangs. The race replay is a good watch with lots of action, worth a look at for sure. You can find it at http://www.world-challengetv.com/ on the front page.

On the current topic of transmission problems in this thread; Brown's transmission let go on the second to last corner on the last lap, which allowed von Kluge to pass him because he only had 1st and 4th gear at that point. Irony at it's finest? v:shobon:v

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

frozenphil posted:

Discuss:

I'm digging the Aston Martin styling ques, however the front end looks a little anemic. The hood is too high and sweeps down too fast on the front, I can see why they did that because there wouldn't be much fender but get rid of the :whatup: 22" digs and you can add some fender back into the car and lower the overall hood height. That would create a nice balance on the front again and help clean up the appearance. That lower fascia is atrocious though, I really like how it's almost flush with the grille but the gaping caverns around it make it look ridiculous.

The very recognizable 'backseat window' is still there but the car finally grew some hips and as a result the doors and roof are more swept; it looks more refined without giving up the character of the Mustang. As long as the tail lamps are not some ridiculous 'wrap around' style and stay true to the Mustang 3-bar look it will be fine.

Like:
It looks grown up and refined while still retaining that Mustang style

Dislike:
It's trying too hard to be "hip" with it's over sized rims, asymmetrical headlamps and somewhat ricey fascia. Needs to have the signature fog lamps in the grille to finish pulling off the look.

And that's my opinion. :v:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
/\/\/\

I am okay with this. :v:

kimbo305 posted:

How are they asymmetrical?

I might have used the wrong word, what I was trying to get at was that they just didn't fill the curves of the bumper and hood in what felt like a pleasing way.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Aberroyc posted:

Picked up a 2011 5.0 today.

Good on ya, haters gonna hate the auto but what counts is that you got the car you wanted. At least you won't have to worry about not being able to shift at WOT :v:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
I used to come to this thread and get all kinds of giddy when I saw crazy videos of automatic GT's running 10's or lower or dyno runs where ridiculous numbers are being pushed out. Ever since that became the norm though it's lost some of it's luster, though like Devyl said I gotta hand it to Ford for making everything come together so nicely with the new 5.0's, manual transmission issues aside.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
So I just noticed a 2003 Mach 1 just popped up in my area and I'm tempted to go look at it. It's a stock 5 speed and has got 86k miles, anything I should look for if I decide to check it out?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
Cool thanks for the information Phil, I'll check it out probably tomorrow.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also, it's the '10s on up isn't it?

You can buy the kits to have them do that on the '94-'04 and '05-'09 now too -

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sequential-taillights-plugin-9604.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/cdc-dynamite-sticks.html

They look a little wonky but add a nice flair I think :3:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

coolskillrex remix posted:

Except they go way too fast and when you press on the brake it sequentially lights up the tail lights (2010 and 2011 dont do this)

Ah, didn't realize that, I thought they went too fast personally but didn't know they lit up sequentially when you got on the brake, that's a deal breaker right there :(

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
Yeah, I can imagine in stop and go traffic that would look absolutely ridiculous to everyone around you, though it isn't quite as bad as I thought it'd look. Wonder if you can make it so it's just the turn signals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Rabble posted:

Is the Steeda Short Throw Shifter worth it. I feel like it would just be a replacement for the knob and wouldn't really do anything significant.

I didn't have a Mustang but to back up what amp281 posted - when I installed a Steeda Tri-Ax short shifter in my Focus it was a night and day difference, they make really high quality products that are worth every penny.