Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I had my supercharged Mark VIII dyno tuned at VMP and not only did it not explode it was very street able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I've got a list of questions for either the best or worst idea I've had for a project car in a while (Merkur XR4ti w/ V8 and more):

1. 302's - I've heard they do not handle boost/power very well. Is this true?
2. Barring a 302, I've also been thinking on a 4.6 or 5.4, because I generally like the Mod motors. I'm definitely planning of running boost (via a snail) but which ones can handle boost and which can't?
3. Also thinking of getting a T-56 for a trans and either a live axle or I will try and hunt down a Cobra IRS - thoughts?

If all goes well (and I can get the body shell for cheap - it's currently sitting in the salvage yard in town with a rusty snow plow on top of it), stay tuned for the project thread.

A 4.6 DOHC can make 650WHP way way way cheaper than a 302 can. Literally any stock 4.6 DOHC with a cobra intake and an appropriately sized turbo will make that level of power. You will need to build a bottom end for it but you can get forged I beams for a pittance, H beams very reasonably and pistons for about the same price as a 302. A 302 can handle around 400-450WHP before the block gets cranky and decides to break up with itself. Everything gets very expensive from there. That said the 302 is much smaller and in the fox chassis cars the k member is the same between the 2.3 and the 302 so its likely a bolt in type setup. The 4.6 DOHC is BIG. Take this with a grain of salt though because IIRC the Xr4tis are not fox chassis cars.

Use a Ford 8.8 solid axle and I say this as a person who is using a Mark VIII IRS in his next project. If youre asking questions of this level youre not ready to be fabricating subframes. A solid axle has 4 mounting points + the brakes, is cheap and you can adjust pinion angle very easily.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 10, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
And taking a good photo requires ~effort~

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Hmmm... I had a chance to think it over:

1. What if I kept/rebuilt/modified the T5 that came with the XR4ti? IIRC, Mustang GT's were sold with a 4.6 and a T5 for about a decade or more.
2. Since the XR4ti came with an IRS, what about swapping out the rear end for an 8.8 from a Cobra and just upgrading the rear suspension with some kit for an XR4ti?

I dont think they ever had T5s, they had T45s and a T5 wont bolt up to the 2.3 bolt pattern which IIRC is the same between the Lima (2.3) and the Windsor (302) but not between the mod motors. Neither the T5 nor the T45 will handle the power level that you will make pretty easily with a turbo on a 4.6 DOHC. Meanwhile you can pretty easily build a 4R70W to hold the kind of power youd make and those did come behind 4.6s, but I digress.

Why swap the rear end? Better yet why convert your Merkur to a Mustang GT when you can just buy a Mustang GT?

Youre pretty much stuck with a 302 swap for the Merkur without a lot of effort.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Well whatever trans IS in there it should bolt up to a 302 except maybe for needing a different input shaft. The 2.3T is known for being pretty stout, since that's whats in there youd probably be best off just building it.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Q_res posted:

Is there an :ironicat: big enough?

If you can seriously drive around in one of those, and declare this

ugly, well more power to you I guess...

Hell yea cheap shots a frozenphil.

Now for what a 71-73 Mustang ACTUALLY looks like since thats a boss 302.

Still better than the non terminator new edge, though.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Q_res posted:

Ah, I'm just having a little fun with him...

Also, that's a Boss 351 (though there was a prototype Boss 302 on that bodystyle), you should have posted a coupe instead of a fastback though. The 71-73 coupes are legitimately horrific looking.

'cept he was askin' bouts a fast back

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
What did the quickest car you've ever driven regularly run in the 1/4 mile? Cause your HP goal and your knowledge about cars aren't really lining up to be honest. I think you way way under estimate the cost of building a manual trans car that will make that power with any domestic 5-6 speed transmission. You will need a T56 at minimum. The cheapest motor to do it with is the 4.6 DOHC or LSx but its not really a viable swap. The 4R70W can be built to take a lot of power for pretty cheap but again if youre just starting out, thats probably not going to come together.

Q_res posted:

The only bad thing I've ever heard about the Turbo Lima is to stay the hell away from the non-intercooled versions. I'm curious, what problems have you heard about?

The EFI sucks compared to any modern turbo car. VAM included.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Right but it still sucks. Plan on a mega squirt or other stand alone if you want one that doesnt. From what I have heard its worse than the comparable vintage A9L.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Rabble posted:

Well yeah, obviously. All I meant was that they really wont be able to say how advanced ecoboost technology is when its in their other cars.

I think the rumored mustang ecoboost the turbo V6 from the Taurus SHO. Also I believe fords "new technology" claim with the ecoboost comes with the motors being direct injected and of the latest engine desgins.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 28, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
The reason why mod motors will never be that big for swapping isnt weight or cost cause theyre about the cheapest 600+HP motor you can build. Theyre freakin MASSIVE compared to their LS counterparts and with aluminum block truck motors becoming more common its simply way way way easier to fit an LS motor and have 5.3L than a 4.6 mod motor.

Ireneo Funes posted:

Hi, all. I'm looking to ditch my 1966 coupe's straight-six for something with a little more oomph. I'd like a rebuilt 289 or something, but a quick search on google just gives me shady-looking websites. Can anyone point me to a reputable place? I'd rather not deal with eBay and classifieds or the like as I'm pretty paranoid about shelling out so much cash to Some Forum Guy.

Roller (1985+) 302 long block is probably what you want.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6007-x302?seid=srese1&gclid=CN3smtXK5rYCFWJqMgodjGsAiQ

Here you go straight from ford. You can't get a less sketchy ford 302 if you are paranoid.

Glanced at the price and thought, kinda pricey. Reading what you actually get with it through it really isn't. Doing that with a JY motor, all new parts and machine work wouldnt save you much.

By the way for your 66 coupe, I dont know for sure but I thought I read that the straight 6 and 302 have diff K members, you should double check on that.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

amp281 posted:

Other option is a 351w or a 351c.

351C sucks, is pointless these days. If we lived in 1982 itd be a different story but we dont. Will a 351W clear the 66, 6 cyl hood? Do you care if you need a new hood? Roller 351Ws arent easy to come by and they certainly are much more expensive from summit than that 302...which would be somewhere in the range of 2-2.5x more power than your car currently has. Also if your rbakes are anything like my friends 66s, for the love of good get them sorted out first.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

If you are going to do a 302 you might as well do a 351w. That's my logic on the Windsor series, your mileage may vary.

Some pretty bad logic there

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

I am getting a lot of varying information here.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3742633065.html

Can you put the FWD DOHC Modular on a RWD transmission?

No, the block is different with a different bell housing pattern. I would assume the timing cover is different as well but don't know this for sure.

ultimateforce posted:

-video-

Holy crap I want a Mark VIII.

Centrifugal blower kits from a C head Cobra bolt up to the 97-98 Mark VIII motor cause the TB is in the same location. That was my high school car.

If you buy a Mark VIII I got a ton of parts from the one I took apart for cheap.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 14, 2013

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

roger wilco posted:

It was my introduction that the Mustang really isn't the working man's toy that it once was in a lot of ways. Considering what the model will be next year, it's the end of an era and that makes me pretty sad as I'm sure it does other folks who have loved the Mustang in this way forever.

This is a pretty stupid statement. While you're right to be frustrated with your transmission issues, which are pretty shocking, you bought a brand new car and broke a cosmetic part that has been in production for less than a year. The likely can barely make those tail lights fast enough to keep up with the production of the cars. A 2012 Mustang tail light can be had for $140 n eBay and once the 2013 is 5 years old (because the tail lights for a 2012 are also fitted on earlier MYs) it'll be the same story with that. Name some cheaper 13 second factory cars than the Mustang.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Brand new they are. Used there's a bunch in the sub $200 range on eBay. Just like every other Mustang ever, the MASSIVE production numbers will have someone come up with a tail light that fits and works like the original for a fraction of the ridiculous price.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

roger wilco posted:

Right but there will only be two production years of this particular tail light. I doubt they'll carry over to the S550, so I don't really see "massive" production numbers, but there will be a good deal available cheaper in a few years sure. Maybe Raxiom will come out with something aftermarket as well. I guess no matter what I say you're going to counter that $900 is a reasonable price to pay for a tail light on a Mustang, so I really know what else to say. I think they cost too much, you don't seem to think they cost too much, or at least can justify the insane price. Okay fair enough. The biggest mistake I made there was being so pissed over it that I put in a claim in on my insurance to have it done for half the price. The problem for that was, of course, when my renewal period hit. Gotta love Geico.

No, I agree its a ridiculous price. My contention was with the boo hoo the Mustang isn't for poor people any more. Used Mustangs will always be for poor people.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I'm getting my MGW shifter in, but I'm losing interest in installing it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFVtasExTs

Is a shop going to know to go through all these steps? What's that going to cost? My biggest problem is getting to the under car stuff with ramps or jacks.

edit: Just watched an Eric The Car Guy video... I should lift a side of the car, not the front or rear, derp :jiggled:

I didn't watch the whole thing but why is he using standard sockets on a car? Why isn't everything metric?

EDIT: LOL @ dynamic control heat shield plate material

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 4, 2013

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Because :911:, all the bolts on his shifter are standard.

He claimed to be using a 3/8 to remove the original shifter. That's bullshit and they're actually 9mm right?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Rude. posted:

Are there any issues I should be wary of when looking for 1964-78 mustangs?

cowl panel rust
everywhere else rust
car made of bondo
stupid previous owners
engine swaps

Devyl posted:

The newer V6 will net around ~50 horsepower from full bolt-ons. I say save your pennies and get a supercharger/turbocharger if you want solid 3 digit horsepower gains.

[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Devyl posted:

Video source.

That's with CAI, exhaust, and a flash-tune. Add on headers & you might get lucky and hit around 50 on a good day.

No, you won't and this is on a show that is basically an infomercial for their sponsors.

oRenj9 posted:

I was clicking through related videos and found this kind of interesting: a bolt on V6 (with drag radials) lifting the front tires. :drat:

THIS is really impressive though. 13.3 and pulled at least one tire with a V6 mustang. Not something I thought I'd see.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 22, 2013