Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

frozenphil posted:

1) You're not going to fade the stock brakes with regular driving. However, I have a feeling Brembos are going to be a sought after option in the resell market.
2) At 70mph in 6th gear you'll be turning 1988 RPM with the manual or 2110 RPM with the automatic. This is based off of the stock 18" tire's 27.3" diameter, 3.55 rear gear, and a 6th gear ratio of .65 for the manual and .69 for the automatic.

Tire height and transmission ratios are taken from here, tire size conversion was done here, and gear calculations were done here in the "Transmission Final Gear Ratio Manual Entry" section.

With the 3.73s in a manual (can't get them in the automatic from the factory) you'll be turning 2089 RPM in 6th gear. This is why we tell people "don't fear the gear". We're not in 1968 anymore. Transmissions have more than 3 speeds as well as overdrive. Even 4.56 gears will only spin 2554 RPM in 6th at 70mph.

Yay math!

At what RPM does fuel economy go from "i'm a V8, but an efficient one" to "MORE FUEL NOM NOM!". My current vehicle has that cut off around 1800 RPM. 65 MPH = 20 MPG. 70 MPH = 17 MPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
"This article is no longer available online for free."

Nope, not interested.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
So why is the X-pipe off road? Did it eliminate some sensors?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Omegaslast posted:

Maybe its just me but when i think of a mustang i dont exactly think ford was passing on all their racing poo poo to their road cars. When i think of M badge i think that its supposed to be a representation of BMWs racing parts. Im probably wrong about that though. reason i think this is because 335i and the M3 differ a lot, so do the z4 coupe and the m coupe, theyre very very different cars.

Well see the M3 is just a tuner version of the 3 series commuter cars. The Mustang, on the other hand, is a streetable version of the FRPP racing cars. For just a little more than the plain jane M3, you can get an actual race Mustang used in series like ALMS or RSCC.

e: No ironic :v: because it's true.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
What Phil said. You can just straight up buy a FRPP car.

The new SC packages make me exited for the future of the GT500. The modified GT is so capable Ford has got to do something spectacular to the 500, or just can it outright.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
If you are not buying your HID parts at a Ford dealer, with "Ford" stamped all over them, then you're a colossal rear end.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only real disadvantages with DI are the cost (which is coming down as they get more common) and the fact that with no fuel going past the intake valve anymore, they can get pretty loving crusty.

I was thinking of this the other day. What's to stop you from seafoaming your DI car once a year? Problem solved?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
But if the manufacturer offers a kit and installs it, that's really skirting legal trouble. The only thing they've got going is being able to say "oh we didn't sell the skip-shift kit on the same invoice, see, it's different..."

There was a company that made 80% receivers, which you can buy with cash and no paperwork. No problem. Except the same company would let you bring in your 80% "blank", use their machines and their coaching to finish it out to 100%. That company is no longer in business.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

kronix posted:

So I just got my call from the dealership, the Mustang just got delivered...a week early. Of course this is the week I'm in Europe so I won't get to pick it up until Thursdaythis means every employee at the dealer is FLOGGING THE poo poo OUT OF MY NEW CAR!....drat it all!.

Will post pics file suit later this week.

Congrats on the new 'stang!

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

RockSmart posted:

Not really fair to compare USAA rates to non-military folks.

Especially since USAA cuts you a dividend from their profits...

Agreed. Mentioning USAA to a non-military car enthusiast is like doing the MY GIRLFRIEND thing in ADTRW.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

goodfuldead posted:

Well that would be a dick move to make.

Welcome to The Internet.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

whiskas posted:

Get your rear alignment checked, could either be too much toe out or too much negative camber.

Horrible troll is horrible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Just TT the 5.0 and call it the GT500. Use the tagline from the V6 ecoboost; efficiency of a V6, power of a V8, and swap it up to 8/10.

V6 base, TTV6 and V8 GT (options), and TTV8 in the 500. Maximum parts sharing.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

RockSmart posted:

Sync also does turn by turn navigation, voice command, and lots of other stuff FYI.

Sync in my dad's '08 Focus is enough reason by itself to discount any other compact car from consideration. It's like an original iPod compared to a 64mb compact flash based MP3 player. You won't even know until you try to drive without it.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

RockSmart posted:

It ain't poo poo when you live in rural Virginia and your AM/FM options are 1.) Staticky country and 2.) Staticky conservative talk radio.

I'd pay for the traffic either way, it's useful.

What. No God Radio?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Imperador do Brasil posted:

In Some states, this is a law, albeit one that I've never seen enforced. It should just be common sense.

Ohio is this way, but it's not a primary offense. I pretty much leave my lights on from October to April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

frozenphil posted:

ATTN Ford: The new 5.0 fits in the Ranger nicely. This is a good idea.

Well what the poo poo? The 4.6 would not fit in as it would not fit between the frame rails. I thought the new 5.0 was supposed to be a "bolt in" replacement for the 4.6?