Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

frozenphil posted:

Sorry you got a lemon. Every manufacturer puts out some in a production run. If it makes you feel any better, my 2003 Mustang GT has only had an alternator replaced outside of normal wear items in 108k miles.
One of the worst things you can do is buy a brand new model of a car that has just been released. Like software packages, there is always issues with a .0 release of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Radiohead71 posted:

Good video comparing the GT to the BMW M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4
That was a pretty good video. Most Youtube car review videos want to make me blow my brains out, but that was a good one. Good to see the Mustang has improved so much over the years.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kinda related to the Mustang, here are the first official pics of the Supercharged 5.0lt V8 that is being used in the Aussie Falcon:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

2ndclasscitizen posted:

335kw? Fuuuuuuuuck. I wonder what HSV is going to come back at them with? LS9 would be the obvious choice, but it'd need to be backed right off, power-wise.
HSV already does supercharger kits for the UK delivered models, so I expect them to bring that in as a specific model in the Aussie range as soon as Ford releases the new FPV cars.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

TurboLuvah posted:

Something isn't adding up. Do they rate HP at the wheels instead of at the motor?

449hp out of a supercharged 5.0 running 5lbs of boost?? USDM NA 5.0s are making 412hp, no way in Christ is that blower only making an additional 37hp.

But since you said it was the same as the 525hp Whipple kits, I'm assuming you meant that those kits made ~450whp.

In short, I'm confused :confused:
They'll be doing it from the motor, as the previous 5.4lt BOSS motor was rated at 315kw at the motor. However when an Aussie car mag ran it on a dyno, they found that the wheel results would make the motor far more powerful that what Ford was quoting.

Also remember a lot of car companies are conservative on their power outputs due to insurance and idiots in the media. Remember the shitfest over the Mazda RX-8 and how it didn't seem to match its factory output?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ah, Mustang-san

(Click for bigger version)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

frozenphil posted:

Those of you with the new MT82 manual transmission experiencing cold shifting issues, Ford just released a TSB for it; TSB 11-3-18.
Apparently the fix is replacing the factory synthetic transmission fluid with dual clutch transmission fluid.
Yeah, post last page

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nah, drag race between the shittest of the Mustangs and F-Bodies. A carby Pinto 4 banger Mustang vs. an Iron Duke powered Camaro.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Elephanthead posted:

TSBs sometimes have a repair through date. They do expire though as they don't want to be on the hook 100 years from now to fix something they don't have the tools or parts to fix.
But my Model T has a damaged vulcanisor! :argh:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Are people being serious there, saying that no live axle at the backend of the Mustang means that it wont sell?

Even Ford gave up on that poo poo in 2002 with the Falcon SWB sedans.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Geoj posted:

Didn't the '03-04 SVT Cobra have a very problematic IRS? I'm wondering if Ford trying to put IRS on the Mustang again is a bad idea...
If Ford US actually paid attention to their Australian arm, they'd find a perfectly good IRS for rear wheel drive application here. And it is used in drag racing as well.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

So what do these cars have in common aside from being all Fords and arguably all Mustangs?

They're all going to be in Forza 4.

So is the XB Falcon GT. I hope it isn't done up as the Mad Max Interceptor however.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dick Burglar posted:

After seeing the cool direction the 2013 tail lights are going, that just looks like a huge step back. And the step back steps in dog poo poo.
I reckon it looks good, you are wrong :colbert:

It looks a lot lower than the current Mustang

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

frozenphil posted:

Wait a second, is that THE Mustang back on the road under its own power?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

oRenj9 posted:

This is a cross-post from the new cars thread, but it looks like a turbo Mustang has been confirmed.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-c...r+and+Driver%29

Ford Australia are about to release the 2.0lt Ecoboost motor in the Falcon, which has the same north/south engine orientation as the Mustang, so makes sense. So far the previews for the Ecoboost Falcon have been pretty favourable.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

As Nero Danced posted:

Anyone know how much the ecoboost 4 weighs? I wonder how much lighter it is compared to the NA V6. I doubt it's a huge number, but I'm wondering if it would have an effect.
I don't know how heavy the Mustang V6 is, but Ford reports that the Ecoboost is 60kg lighter than the standard alloy head/cast iron block straight six in the Falcon

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm surprised how bad the crash ratings are for the rear passengers considering there are no rear doors, therefore it should be stronger in that part of the car.

Ah just read the window sticker, no curtain airbags. That explains it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wombot posted:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/04/16/mustang-makeover-what-does-ford-have-in-mind/

Apparently, Ford may style the 2015 Mustang similar to the upcoming Fusion, and therefore similar to their Evos concept.

"The new Mustang is due as a 2014 model, and will look somewhat like an Aston Martin, the high-price sports car often featured in James Bond movies. People who have seen the new Mustang said it is almost a body double for the Evos concept car that Ford showed at the Frankfurt auto show last fall."

That looks a billion times better than the current Mustang. About time Ford showed some balls about the looks of the Mustang, rather than revisiting old designs.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

frozenphil posted:

Doesn't matter much as there is still enough room for the IRS so it's doubtful an SLA won't fit; solid axles don't need as much room as an IRS.
Actually, wouldn't an IRS setup take up less room, considering you don't need to worry about the rear diff bouncing all over the place unlike with a live axle setup?

The Control Blade setup the Falcon has, which looks very much like what that Mustang mule is using, is a very compact setup for a large RWD car.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Road_Warrior posted:

Control Blade is a cheap arse IRS unit adapted from a bum-dragger at the last minute for the BA Falcon because Phil Martens and Ford Australia couldnt agree on the mounting arrangement, amongst other things. It's penchant for making GBS threads carrier bushes and its stamped steel construction rules it out somewhat for Euro and US customers who won't really tolerate that sort of rubbish. The FG should have ditched it but because Detroit pulled the plug on the Global Rear Wheel Drive program, Ford AU had to go it alone and use the CB IRS due to lack of funds to develop another. The forged alloy double wishbone front suspension setup with virtual pivot is the only thing that made it through from the GRWD program. Or so I thought...
What the hell are you on about there? The AU (model) Falcon had a double wishbone setup, before they move to the control blade setup on the BA. Control blade has been hugely successful on cars like the Focus and has been great on Territory as well. I am not sure what you are on about there.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Elephanthead posted:

The only thing that keeps me from buying one is I need a 4 door. I am to fing old to be crawling in and out of back seats to beat my children. I would buy that orange 4 door boss 302 today if it was for sale.

Here you go!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Devyl posted:

The 50th is going to be released in a limited run; but no one is saying whether it'll be the 2014 refreshed body or the 2015 total facelift yet. All we know is it's going to be a "limited edition"... heh. But 50 years for a single make of car isn't too shabby at all and pretty worthy of being a big deal.
The Ford Falcon has been in production since 1960 and only gets decal/paint stuff for its anniversaries

Although I always like the badge they did for the 25th Anniversary:

You Am I fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 1, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I liked how my dad's 351C with all sorts of Edelbrock goodies sounded and pulled up top.

If it could rev its tits off, then it's a 4V motor, with inlet channels in the head so big it would swallow a golf ball.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

frozenphil posted:

I really hope Ford put some solid engineering into the IRS, because if not they are going to have an awful mess on their hands.
It's literally the one thing that auto-journalists have been screaming about for ages and it is going to be picked to death.

From the sound of things, it looks like Ford Australia have had their hands in helping with this. And they do a good IRS for the Falcon.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jomo posted:

So what is Ford's plan with the 2.3 and V6 in terms of model placement?
Word from my friends who work at Ford Australia is that Australia will be getting the turbo four and V8 editions.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SanitysEdge posted:

I have a hard time trying to justify the EB when the 5.0 is an option.

Before they neutered the v6 this year with lack of a performance pack it was a very attractive option. The EB with the performance package is 28 grand and needs premium fuel to get all 310 hp. For just a few grand more you mind as well get the v8 which won't have any turbo lag.
The turbo four is going to be a hit with markets with either huge fuel prices or taxation on large capacity motors. I am surprised that Ford Europe aren't putting in the 2.0lt Ecoboost, due to taxation rules in some countries in the EU.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seik posted:

On my model at least (2014), it's this Konami Code:

Sometimes I look at my 2001 Ford Laser and think "wow, it is getting old, I should get something newer" then I see this and happy to know while the Laser has ABS, it doesn't have poo poo like this

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

El Scotch posted:

Dear Ford, you're under-using your lovely V8's - please build a 4-door Mustang.

Thanks.

Gonna be out of luck soon come October next year :(

http://www.ford.com.au/cars/falcon/models/xr8

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Welcome back fronzephil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Moffat's BOSS 302 Mustang was awesome. He did nothing to the motor and kept the body the same as how it came from Ford US's competition area, yet could beat up big block V8s with it.