Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

frozenphil posted:

3.73s will put you somewhere around 2500RPM at 75mph. The modular engines love their RPMs, so don't fear the gear.

Seconding this. People tend to think it's 1973 still, when trannies had no OD and engines wheezed up to 5000rpm, barely. 3.73's run GREAT with mod motors, and don't even lose a helluva lot of mileage at freeway speeds unless you go 90 all the time.

quote:

If it's a Mustang made after 1996 with a v8, it has an LSD. All 2011 Mustangs, v8 and v6, have an LSD.

All GT's after 1982 and all V8 Mustangs since '86 came with LSD's... but sometimes(worn-out T/L's) it doesn't seem that way :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Absolutely true, but how short is first? I get the feeling 4.56 behind a stick would be very hard to launch without absolutely smoking the rears.

I've(against my advice, but the customer is always right) installed '56's in several mod Mustangs, and first gear just ends up completely useless - you end up shifting at like 11mph. I also have a very strong suspicion that if you took the same car with 3.73's, it would be faster in the quarter anyway.

Of course, if you're bolting 30"+ slicks up in the back and/or have an enormous cam(or cams, in the case of mod motors :D ), then ultra-low gears are viable, but most people are just over-gearing because they listen to idiots who are stuck in 1971 when people ran close-ratio Toploaders and Muncies with 2.20 First gear ratios.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

frozenphil posted:

MHS Stage 5 NA cams which spec at 250°/248° @ 0.050", 0.540" lift.

drat, that's a lot of duration - fair amount of lift too.

When I say "4.56's are too much", I'm referring to the 99% of cars out there that are using stock cams/heads, of course - once you get into really big cams, things change pretty dramatically.

I used to run 4.62's in my bridgeported rotary, and that was with relatively short tires(~26"). Probably could have even done a bit better with '88's :P

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Devyl posted:

Can anyone recognize this rear-end? Came off a '67 Mustang my uncle is building.

It's NOT NOT NOT a 9", it's an 8", the little brother of the 9". You can tell, even without a tag, because you can see the lower third-member bolts when viewed straight-on. On a 9", the pinion "hangs over" the lower bolts because of it's larger size and you need an open-end wrench to remove two of them.

The one pictured has the later multi-rib case, which is a big improvement over the '64-65 single-rib case.

8"'s are underrated, they use the same axles and spider gears as non-HD 9"'s, but they're a lot lighter and create less parasitic drag. The only drawback is fewer aftermarket parts are available, but the commonly-used stuff is no problem to find.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Ugg boots posted:

Awesome, I guess at 5 grand for a supercharger I might as well have bought the V8, huh? :(

Yeah, and if you supercharge a V6(pre-2011), you better plan on buying a complete V8 diff, as you'll splinter the stock 7.5 V6 diff in short order.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

frozenphil posted:

No Mustangs were made from '74 through '78

This is the only correct viewpoint, anyone who disagrees is sadly mistaken.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The wear on the spider gears are disconcerting.

Those spider gears are almost completly unworn - they look great. I think you're confusing the machine marks made by the gear-cutter with wear marks.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

lazer_chicken posted:

Is it worthwhile to swap a 7.5" lsd into it, or is it a better idea to just swap in a whole 8.8 axle? Some people claim the 7.5 is made of glass, while others seem to think it's reliable up to like 300hp (more than my 4.0 will ever make).

I've rebuilt hundreds of 7.5's and thousands(yeah, I figured it out one day) of 8.8's, and personally, I wouldn't spend a nickel on a 7.5 if it's being used in a performance application. They're fine in Vulcan Rangers and such, but not in anything that really stresses them.

Back in '82-'84, the guys with 180hp Mustang GT's were busting them every month - they'd break the factory LSD and then I'd put an Auburn LSD in them and they'd go out and break the left-side main cap, which means you're SUPPOSED to replace the whole thing, but I had a whole box of surplus caps and would carefully fit a new cap and this went on until you could find 8.8's in the junkyards.

Then in the early Nineties, the lifted Ranger/Bronco II guys would bust 'em over and over again(with about 130hp) and I started making custom Ranger 8.8's using the centersections from Crown Vics and 7.5 Ranger tubes - that worked well until Ford finally came out with 8.8 Ranger diffs in the 4.0 models.

300hp? Nahhh, not unless it's an automatic with a gentle driver and easy-to-spin tires - hook that sucker up/sidestep the clutch and you'll snap that problematic main cap just like it's 1983! That said, a bad bearing has nothing to do with horsepower - the 7.5 and 8.8 use the exact_same pinion bearings, btw, it's usually becaise the idiots at the factory over-preload them and they fail prematurely.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 13, 2010

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Really? I thought they'd have a smooth, machined finish.

They get smooth and shiny with use :D

Actually, you will see some spder gears that are perfectly smooth when new; those are made of powdered metal. From my experience, the old-school style like you have last longer.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Just a thought...

"Equipped with a TCIŽ manual/automatic valve body, most units allow you to manually shift the vehicle into each gear change or, by placing it in the drive position, remain fully automaticIn either mode, you get a racetrack shift that bangs through the gears"

That gets REALLY GODDAMN OLD in a street car once you're over about 25. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

frozenphil posted:

I guess I'm immature as I'm 30 and have my shift firmness set to full hard. It's fun chirping the tires just easing away from a light. :)

FWIW, you can have them set it for whatever shift firmness you want. Their website is kind of out of date as you can tell. One section tells you the transmission can handle 850hp and the price page tells you their generic 450hp rating. Still, $3k for an 850hp capable transmission from a reputable company is pretty decent.

Yeah, it's a pretty good deal considering the price, I thought the same thing. TCI trannies have always been good to me.

After 20 years spent replacing spider gears, the constant BANG of a really hard-shifting automatic makes me inwardly cringe. :D