Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

frozenphil posted:

The package will be available soon, probably this fall. It comes with the complete engine assembly with all the front end accessories as well as the engine harness. Should run around $8k if the previous offerings are any indication.

Does anyone know the weight difference between the Coyote and the 4.6 3v? Still aluminum block?

EDIT: I so want this car but I have a feeling the '14.5 car may have a true sportsroof and hips. My '07 is almost the same car anyway. They're not gonna jerk me around every 3.5-4 years.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002
So what are the weaknesses of coyote? Also, in your estimation, does it seem like Ford tweaked as much as possible out of the design, or will we see a lot higher numbers than we've seen out the 03-04 terminators. In other words, do you see it benefitting as greatly through aftermarket as we've seen in the past?

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002
I guess I was asking in terms of potential.
I was under impression the terminators were massively underrated with lots of untapped power on reserve, especially factoring forged internals. But this is coming from someone who never owned one skewed with beer goggles typing on his phone at the moment.

I think I'm looking for reasons to dimiss this generation and uncovering little.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Probably not with the stock Coyote, but once Ford offers a version with forged internals it would be.

What's the possibilty of that happening?

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

kronix posted:

Personally the 30 or so horsepower isn't worth those ugly stickers. I think it might make a good garage queen but I wouldn't want to drive that around everyday. I must say though, those side pipes are absolutely insane.

Seriously. It looks like the "Mist Mobile" from Kick rear end. I understand heritage is involved but Ford needs to class it up a bit and seriously start marketing this car as the M3 killer every other article is claiming it to be. Time to cut the loving mullet off. The quality is here now.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I can't wait to check out a 2011YM with the 5.0L when a lot around me gets one, might be a while since it's hard to find manual cars here in the Seattle area unless you special order them...apparently all these rich businessmen don't want to shift their expensive sports cars luxury icons! :qq:

Check out Ford of Bellevue. They had a few with manual last I checked.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Yeah, I just noticed that! I got curious and went to the website last night and saw they have a 2011YM GT Premium 6SP on the lot, I might have to go check that out in my free time :allears:

Do you have a trade-in? Let us know how much the dealer tries to rape you with numbers.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

kronix posted:

I agree I ordered my new 5.0 with no stupid decals, stripes or lettering. I don't want my car to look like a hotwheels. Most people these days associate stripes and stickers with shitbox civics on rims more than a GT350. My fiance actually told me those stripes look ghetto and I trust her taste. Get with the times Ford.

Stripes are boyish, performance posturing scarlet letters. As riced out as you can make a brand new M3, Corvette or even Ferrari, you never see them with striping - on the street at least.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

Did no one read the part where it said that most of the performance upgrades were in the suspension?

Yes, but everything listed and more could be had in the aftermarket for less than two grand. I bet the shocks are nothing but rebranded $500 Tokikos.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

I'm curious what kind of markup they're putting on the car too. Seattle dealers are insane about markup--I remember looking at a new G8 GXP that had a $15k 'market adjustment' above MSRP!

I agree, but it's loving Seattle - unless you're buying a white Subaru Outback it's like they suspect you of being a partner of Microsoft.

Horsepower = not green = luxury

Solution: buy in neighboring state and at least avoid taxes.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 15, 2010

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

Unless you can register it outside Washington you'll still have to pay tax when you register. But yeah, traveling a few hours outside the area to get a better deal is a good idea.

Thankfully I have this option. But what about P.O. boxes?

edit: a quick check on google says you have to have a bona fide numbered street address in conjunction with a P.O. box - in PA at least.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 16, 2010

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

CombatWombat posted:

That thing is loving hideous. The mess up front, the awful GT500 tails, and those wheels... augh.

rscott posted:

pretty much this. There's so little orginal car left, how can you even call it a "resto-mod". The thing looks like a kit car.

It's loving race car you retards, and it's glorious.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

His only mistake was wasting all that on a coupe. He could possibly have doubled his asking price with a Shelby cloned fastback.

edit for supporting link:

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h...%20am%20mustang

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 20, 2010

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Professor Bling posted:

You do know that the coupes were the ones raced in '67 and '68, right?

And therefore the coupe would be the most correct choice and the one any actual "classic racing" Mustang enthusiast would be going for.

(and it looks horrible)

I do, but from personal experience fastbacks typically go for twice as much what coupes bring. That car is not a true "vintage racer" in the sense it's using mostly modern components anyway. I know nothing of the different types of circuits a lot of SCCA cars fall under, but in this case, as cobbled together as it is it may as well have been a fastback. I know it doesn't look like it but he easily put 30K into that car, and no one will want it because it's not as sought after or pretty as a fastback with the same components.

I owned a '68 fastback 67 Shelby clone with a 3 speed, 289 2bl, Lincoln Versailles rear and minor suspension work that sat for 12 years that I sold for 13.6k in 2007. That coupe with the same poo poo I had on my car would have been lucky to fetch 4-5K.

Edit: Now with pics!

I... I think I was loving crying here :( (I was drunk)

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 941x516 image.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 20, 2010

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Clones are the worst and Shelbys look like poo poo after '66 when they were made by Ford and not Shelby.

See? Not cool when someone shits on your project, is it? Just because that dude's friend went a different direction with his car doesn't make it better or worse than any other. I could get triple the money for my car if I restored it to stock...if I was going to sell it. Not everyone gives a poo poo about resale value, most people with classic or purpose built cars do it because they enjoy it.

Ultimately no non-moron builds a project car with hopes of making money on the back end. You build what you like and enjoy and hope that if you ever do lose your mind or get in a hard spot and need to sell the car you can get maybe 10% of your "investment" back.

I wasn't making GBS threads on it. If you look back I was actually defending it. I like all Mustangs, especially road race prepped.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

wandler20 posted:

Direct Injection

Now I don't feel so bad waiting for the 50th anniversary car.

Content: I had my tails tinted and had new K-springs put on.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

sw0cb posted:

Took car to track, made roommates camaro cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6haedNZsU

Dude, you have the black California Special like mine. What have you done to it since you bought it? Post pics!

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

sw0cb posted:

I ran a 12.3 @118 spinning, and he can't hook at all, I think it was a 13.6@108. My 60 foot sucked as well, best I got all night was a 2.0.
My car has: Eaton M90 Roots style blower, 4.10s, Pypes offroad H into a custom Mid muffler setup. I'm running an overdriven crank pulley, and the smallest pulley that will fit on the snout of that blower. Car made 456/420 to the wheels. Did the whole setup in my garage for under 4 grand.
His car has: LS6 intake, Long tubes/offroad Y/E-cutout and a 3400 stall. Car is pretty nasty for what it is, and with tire will put down much better times.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sw0cb#p/a/u/1/FQeakm2Dk6g

I hate you.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

RockSmart posted:

My new 2011 GT Premium. 19" wheels, electronics + comfort packages, backup cam, 3.73s. $34k out the door.

That stick looks shorter than the Steeda Tri-Ax in my '07. How do you like it? On the rare occasion I've let someone drive my car it was the first thing they noticed.

They noticed they didn't like it

And they finally got around to putting the tach on the right side. Good job Ford. It only took you five years.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Q_res posted:

The one criticism I would have, is the throws might be a bit too short, but that would be nitpicking.

That was the consensus of my shifter (myself included at first). Is it adjustable? I originally installed the stick at it's lowest but often thought about raising it a notch to see if it feels more natural.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 11, 2011

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002
Only the whitest of trash would openly brag about displacement size these days. Seriously, I believe public opinion has matured a little since the sixties and petty dick waving in the face of an oil crisis and 50 years of tweaking the internal combustion engine in every iteration to it's absolute maximum power and efficiency will attest to this.

"Five point O" was and is marketing bullshit for the mulleted. You don't hear Audi and BMW bragging about getting 400+ horsepower out of 4.2L.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Muffinpox posted:

5.0 is an American tradition you commie gently caress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkD4CY7YAQ

Thanks. I was running low on my Friday evening douche chills.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

PT6A posted:

Gridlock on hills is especially a pain in the rear end, too. If you live in a hilly city with frequent gridlock, I can't fault you for buying an automatic.

Seriously. Try a gridlocked downtown Seattle or San Francisco on a rainy day with road construction driving on summer radials and nearly 30 degree inclines. I have to turn the loving radio off so I can hear the engine revs and not stall out or spinout during the stop and go.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 2, 2011

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

scapulataf posted:

You have been aced by the Cougar Ace.
Over 4000 Mazdas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_Ace

Sorry for the derail but here's a really good article about the CA salvage effort in case anybody's interested:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-03/ff_seacowboys

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Aberroyc posted:

That looks incredible. If I bought the 2012 that was going to be the color of choice for me.

I feel like a I'm being pranked. That's not black?

edit: N/M. 19 years on the Internet and I can't be bothered to google "lava red mustang".

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 7, 2011

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

Killbot posted:

If the rumors are true, we can expect a global 2014 Mustang that's smaller, lighter, with IRS, and an available turbo four. If this comes true my next car will be another Mustang.

Global?

I hear they're dropping the retro look on this one. I hope that's not true. I was hoping for a progression of styling from the S197 64 1/2-66 cues to a sleeker 69-70 sportsroof silhouette.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

I think there will at least be a refresh, 2014 is the Mustang's 50-year anniversary.

It'll probably be mid-year '15 car in the summer of '14. There were no "64 1/2" Mustangs. That was something enthusiasts made up because of all the differences with the earliest cars; e.g. Generator vs. alternator, etc.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

kronix posted:

You're probably better off just not attempting to Boss-ify your GT. You're looking at a lot more than just slapping on the 302 intake runner and sticky tires. I have no idea where you'd find that exhaust right now and I'm not sure if you can get do anything to get launch control on your GT.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/01-2012-boss-302-in-detail.jpg

Agreed. You could obtain a functionally equivalent or higher performing car through aftermarket for much cheaper on a base GT.

And I'm not understanding the desire for launch control on a car that is supposed to be a road racer, not a drag car.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

kronix posted:

Yes, that is easy but the Boss allows you to set the launch RPM from the wheel, all the ECU modifications allow you to set it via the tuner. It's not that it's complicated, it's just not going to be as good as what's in the boss.

In the end though this and the "race key" are just licensed gimmickry. Collectible but fairly useless beyond that and easily replicated through aftermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

If you want to switch tunes, a race key is reasonably convenient. Since the Boss doesn't have a nav screen, you'd have to do some hidden button routine to activate it. That'd be particularly annoying for launch control. I think the race key opens the sidepipes as well. I wonder how easy it is to unlock or port functionality like that over to a regular GT ECU.

I guess this is where the "gotta-have-it factor" comes in. How badly do you need these features as convenient as they are to pay the mark-up for.

I have a $70 Bama and Brenspeed tune that takes less then 3 minutes to install. As far as the exhaust is concerned, they've made electric exhaust cutouts as far back as I can remember.

Edit for nerd analogy:

I hate these kinds of discussions. It's like arguing about iPhone vs. Android. One has a more expensive locked* full-feature yet stable architecture, with the other being cheaper, open-sourced, more configurable and potentially higher-performing feature set. It's all preferential.

*locked in the sense you generally don't want to modify or gently caress with a (warranted) collectible car.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 21, 2011