Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Does the new 3.7 V6 have any relation to the 3.5TT Ecoboost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

frozenphil posted:

I've got my resume out to several different places now solely because I want a BOSS 302. I'm going to post videos of it making passes at the drag strip and pictures of it sitting in the parking lot at Barber Motorsports Park just to make people in AI cry.

First mod will be swapping in an automatic to make it faster.
You're a horrible man.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I think dropping the live axel in the US market would be really stupid. They've made it work incredibly well.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have a friend who is looking for a tune for his new 5.0 GT. Who do you suggest? Off the shelf? We're in the Orlando area.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
So, uh, guys, and recommendations for a chip or tune on the '13 GT?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Elephanthead posted:

There is a reason Ford set the parameters the way they come. Those reasons may not be applicable to your driving or your location. Does Ford send the cars to Denver with a different tune then LA?
No, nearly everything is emissions-tuned these days.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Somewhat related since it is about a mod motor.

I bought a Lincoln Mark VIII with a good motor for the motor. I need to remove it. The agreed upon method seems to be to drop the engine from the bottom. The front subframe bolts have six "points" on them. Can I use a normal six-point impact socket or do I need something else?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm currently evaluating my options for a new 4.6 V8 flywheel and clutch, and I need a 6 bolt flywheel. I'm mostly going to be using it on road courses and as a weekend car. Any suggestions? Should I get the Ford Racing 21 lb steel, or get an aluminum flywheel?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I need to get a 94 Mark VIII's ECU reprogrammed to accept a manual transmission. Any suggestions?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

gwarm01 posted:

Second question: am I a bad person for considering the ecoboost model? Considering this would just be a stylish daily commuter, and my current car only puts out around 160HP, it still sounds like it would be a lot of fun for me.
gently caress no. Modern direct injection turbo motors are amazing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

mechaet posted:

It's still got a 3-valve 4.6L capable of nearly 500hp before needing to rebuild the bottom end. I don't see a whole lot of cheap 2011+ V6s doing that.

To take a stock 05-09 and make it track-ready you spend 5K on supercharging it and 3K on suspension.

For the 2011+ V6, you dump nearly 6K on a supercharger (and a lovely-sounding centri one at that), and nearly 5K on suspension.

Why so much more on suspension? Because unlike the GT, there aren't a lot of bits you'll want to keep around.

Also with the V6 at the end you'll have a machine that doesn't sound like a Mustang.
If you're going to spend that kind of coin on a car why not fly to the California/AZ/NV/NM/TX and get what you want? 1 way plane tickets to most metro areas are $150 to $250.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

mechaet posted:

Because I live in Washington and bringing a car back here is a serious pain I don't wish to deal with. Already dealt with it once bringing my 76 Nova up here, never again.
I drove a 3 year old car from Philly to Miami, which is probably going to be a similar distance drive in many cases. You're buying a mostly new car with what should be no problems and a huge dealer network and probably AAA if you do have problems. It's not a 76 Nova, but hey, your money.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

kalvick posted:

I want to talk to you all about my windshield wipers on my GT. I need to get something off my chest. In the 15 years or so I have owned the car, I have never driven the car in the rain. Therefore I have never replaced the wipers.
Below are pics of what 15 year old wipers look like. Everytime I take my car to the shop for whatever reason, I am told I have to replace the wipers and I say no leave them alone, they are perfectly fine!
I have decided that I will never replace them.

and

This is the car they are on.

Replace your wipers, bugs make big messes.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'd worry about that snow or freeze or w/e you got last winter that ruined everything. I'm planning on using my Pilot Super Sports all winter in Miami for what it's worth.
I ran summers year round when I lived in Miami.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Elephanthead posted:

Think how much better the auto would be if they would stop wasting resources making the stick.
Programming an auto properly is much harder than designing a manual transmission. It's not like a manual is complicated.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Tide posted:

There used to be install instructions for *most* superchargers available at superchargesonline.com at the respective pages for each blower. I think the 04 Cobra blower was an Eaton...M90 or M112?

I found this via the roush blower (which is an Eaton unit) on a 2010 (which was a 3V 4.6 if I remember right...5.0 came out in 2011?). Should get you started, maybe?

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/69042.pdf

M112.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There was a fuckton of manufacturing inefficiency in American plans if you listen to the NUMMI story. Just straight stupid until they started doing things like Toyota.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sounds like a nasty exhaust leak.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cage posted:

Hey guys I did a mod

That looks like a glarebomb.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

PT6A posted:

All vehicle "climate control" systems should be banished from the loving earth. I feel very strongly about this.

It's true. One dial for temp, one for fan speed, one for the blend door position. You only need two buttons. One for AC and one for recirc.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
In the FoST the premium made a huge difference in highway economy. Not so much around town.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There are no sacred animals so just do whatever.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fps_bill posted:

Anyone else run into the p300/p308 codes? Everything online is saying intake manifold, called steeda this morning and ordered the gt350 intake manifold, and throttle body.

While I have everything off should I just go ahead and lockout the IMRC? About how much would that hurt my lower rpm power?

Which car?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You would be giving up a fair bit of low end torque and without a tune it'll probably get cranky. This is not a great approach to troubleshooting. You need to focus on the actual problem. Checking the plug and coil are the next correct steps like OJ above suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
As for dealing with winter, you'll want appropriate tires, and when the snow gets tall you might not be able to use the car.