Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Cage posted:

Anything specific for the transmission I should look for beyond noise/clutch friction?

Getting rid of that useless third pedal is a good start. :cool:
Actual answer: not really. It will either last the life of your ownership or poo poo the bed rapidly.

As Nero Danced posted:

Guess this thread​ is as good as any to ask, and it's kind of on transmission chat now, how are AOD transmissions?

Garbage. Either go C4 or 4R70W depending on what body it's in. You can make AODs not suck, but the cost to do so would get you a better transmission to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

As someone who has a no ethanol 91 station and an ethanol 91 station both around the corner from me, i can say I have never noticed a huge difference in MPG. Maybe 1-2.

A 5%-10% difference isn't huge?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

PNW prices are higher than a lot of other areas of the country

i'll keep looking but i should test drive one before i dive too far down the rabbit hole

and it's gotta have the PP, i don't think i care about premium or any other packages

see this craigslist search for 15-17 mustang, v8, manual transmission, clean title and under 30k

1 hit

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sear...uto_cylinders=5

Try getting rid of your transmission selection (not frozenphiling you) as it is missing some cars from your search such as this: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/6108800775.html

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 22, 2017

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Has anyone added premium care to a mustang? It seems like cheap prepaid service for a car that will need it. From a sketchy internet dealer of course after purchase. Don't the radios in these break every time?

My Mustang has been the most reliable car I've ever owned.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dinurth posted:

Wait, they make non V8 Mustangs?

Next you'll tell me people choose automatics on purpose too.

Buhbuhj posted:

The saddest types of people, those.

Please do not blaspheme ITT.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Two is the proper number of turbos.

What about 8?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

Looking forward to you coming back here complaining that the lemon lawed car you bought is, in fact, still a loving lemon.

Don't listen to these people, proceed with this great idea! Please post pics of the sunken tub you put in your car for the :females:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Krakkles posted:

While I'm certainly curious why it was lemoned, why is everyone so salty about the idea of someone buying a lemon?

I'm pretty sure everyone here has owned a POS car at some point in their life. Some of us are certainly still in glass houses.

Chill. He's buying a mustang. He knows it's a lemon. I think he's gotten the point that you don't think it's a good idea. Lean back and let him post about how good or bad of an idea it was.

Elephanthead, I look forward to how you fix the misaligned trunk or whatever the gently caress is wrong with it.

Ask me about Mustang projects and how they can morph out of control. :v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

What is everyone's opinion on cleaning aluminum with the wire brush / dremel method that is oxidized/pitted like in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM&t=457s

My alternator is kinda gross, and I was thinking about taking it out of the engine and going to town on it.

Try steel wool first. poo poo is magic.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

I always shoot raw, but I think, I had accidentally selected one of those auto VIVID/Sepia/Natural settings turned on instead of manual.
The sunlight was super heavy too, it wasn't doing me any favors. I just picked a bad time and f'ed up user settings .
I messed around with color,tone,contrast,shadows/highlights, and vibrance. The pics just did not come out nice. I will have to try again.

Next time make sure there are no signs or trees growing out of your car as well.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I took a video of the eaton whining, I think I need drag radials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k26ZmKuvfKg

The Eaton supercharger sounds like a cow falling off a roof.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Any words of wisdom I can pass to them? Thanks guys.

Steve Saleen is an rear end and no longer has anything to do with Saleen Automotive managed to get his company back apparently. Saleen Automotive is run by a marketing company and they now label their cars "Lifestyle Performance Automobiles"; they are just badges and body kits these days offering nothing performance wise that you couldn't buy cheaper in the aftermarket. That's all to say there is zero reason to ever go to Saleen for parts if they need it as everything is available aftermarket. There's nothing special about the performance stuff on the car that makes it only available from the manufacturer.
They're still cool in a '90s way.
Also, you're allowed to slap anyone pronouncing it "Saline".

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 25, 2017

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Does the trunk key not work on the door? My 2003 just has the 1 key and it works on both.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ser Pounce posted:

Has anyone used one the full floor pans, transition and trunk kits from Dynacorn?
I’m restoring a 70 Mach 1 and these units look like they’d make a nice jig for aligning the body as well as replacing my rusted and busted existing pans.

I used the full floor pans for my '67. I doubt you'll be able to use it as a jig as mine had extra material around the edges so you could customize the fit.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ser Pounce posted:

That’s interesting, and I should have expected that, I’ll think I’ll just have to resort to the tram gauge and welding bars into the unibody to help keep its shape.

How did you find going for the full floor? Much easier than expected, worth the saving in time vs separate floor, transition and trunk?

If you need to do them all then you might as well do the full thing since you have to brace the same way regardless. Much easier to run a continuous outside weld than stitch together a bunch of panels and hope nothing flexed.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Crappy floor pans scare the poo poo out of me.

Good luck finding a pre-'79 Mustang that doesn't have that issue.

Ser Pounce, I highly recommend you keep looking. While rust is always going to be a thing with early Mustangs, you should try to find a starting point that is more good panels than bad. A few grand more up front is loving worth it, trust me.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The '03 is gone; replaced by a '17 F150 with the little ecoboost. It's pretty hilarious that my truck is noticeably faster than my Mustang.
The '67 is in my brother-in-law's resto shop being worked on when he has time. I anticipate its completion sometime near the heat death of the universe.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Aluminum construction is a hell of a thing.

A regular cab, short bed, two wheel drive F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost weighs 4050lbs and has 375 horsepower and 470 lb-ft. That's not far off a 2003 Cobra in an F150. What a time to be alive.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

So it's looking like the next GT500 will use a 5.2L supercharged engine making somewhere around 760hp, but the best part is that it will be available with an automatic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I hear the automatics have no issues. :angel: