Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
The Bullitt is actually very interesting from a technical standpoint. It has the same differential as the GT500 (this diff is used in racing on one of the FR500 cars, can't remember if it's the C or S) and all the other stuff that made it into the 2010 GT. Whenever Ford decides to sell the 5.0 as a crate motor I am stuffing one under my hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I'm hoping that the rumored 2012 Boss comes true. I would like a modified Coyote delivering loads of power but without the extra supercharger weight.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I'm hearing reports of the 2005-2009 GT ABS module throwing a fault and locking up all the wheels. This happens to people with race tires and huge brakes who thrash their cars on the track. It's recommended that, if your GT sees heavy track duty, you get the FR500 ABS module and the other GT500 parts to make it compatible.

I guess I should invest in one soon since with the cancellation of the Mustang Challenge this module will probably be hard to come by.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

The new Boss has put me into a dilemma. On one hand, I can get a lot of go fast parts for my existing Mustang, and probably even a suspension setup from Griggs. On the other hand, RED WHEELS.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

So apparently the Boss may be limited to 8000 cars over two years, but I'm not bothered by that. They made around the same number of Bullitts and Ford seemed to have enough of them to go around.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Took the Bullitt out to the track again last weekend. My friend in a modified 330ci only lapped me once in our 20-minute run :v:

I bet I can keep up with him with better tires and brakes. Ford Racing now has the GT500 SVT wheels on its site. Tempting!

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I read (but not participate in) the Corner Carver Racing Tech Discussion subforum on s197forum. It's helped me pick out suspension components for occasional track use. It's how I found out about Koni yellows and how they would turn my 2008 from a choppy, bouncy oxcart into something that rode like a modern car.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Wow, didn't know that. I don't post there, I just read what road racers post about suspension setups.

Got my Ground Control strut mounts in yesterday, still waiting on my set of Steeda Sports. Needed to replace my mounts because the left one started popping. The springs are for light track duty, and apparently they won't break my back around town despite being a bit lower. We'll see!

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

So apparently the 2010+ models owe much of their improved handling to their less-compliant bushings and a longer rear upper control arm. I think these will be my next purchases (Maximum Motorsports for the bushings, Steeda for the UCA.) Installing the longer UCA will be a pain though, since it requires folding down the gas tank "lip" in order to make room for the bracket.

Those RTR wheels are pretty nice, wish they made something similar in 18". Ford Racing is now selling the Boss BBS wheels with a similar design that are 18"x10" but those are like $620 a wheel. Maybe next year.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I remember someone posting a link in this thread to a Mustang tuner but I can't seem to find it. I would like to get a tune for my 2008 Bullitt but I'm currently overseas and wouldn't trust people here to do it. What are some reputable tuners who deal in email tunes?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Thanks!

Having a Bullitt overseas is pretty nice. Hell, having anything with a V8 here is great when you're in a sea of economy cars. A few people recognize it as a Mustang, but everyone else sees it as a loud and strange-looking green car.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Just ecoboost the V8 and the problem is solved.

Weren't there rumors about the (now current) GT500 doing this to the Coyote, and having the engine named Roadrunner? Maybe they'll implement the idea next refresh.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

The live axle works, but it is a bit odd to include it on a car that costs $50k. And the S197 chassis was designed for an IRS to begin with, it's just that it never got one. I hear it was tested and everything, and was even pretty lightweight.

A lot of the Mustang's rear suspension shortcomings can be solved with decent dampers. As for ride quality, my Mustang with Koni sports rides better than my coworker's Genesis coupe.

But if the Mustang is getting a new platform, they may as well give the Mustang the IRS journos have been griping for for decades.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

It ended up costing them money to put the solid rear on the chassis anyways.

I dunno phil, that's like saying 90%+ of potential Mustang buyers don't care what TiVCT does or how many liters are in the engine. If you're talking about the lowest common denominator Mustang shopper, then perhaps. Are we talking about the car as lowest common denominator enthusiasts?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

The rear does that on these cars, it's the panhard rod swinging out. About the only way to ever get rid of that feeling is to install a Watts Link. Better dampers work too, look into Koni SRTs or sports (although sports are currently on backorder because for some reason they take forever to be made.)

Look I know the SRA works, but if Ford is planning a new Mustang platform they'll probably head towards IRS. That's all my original comment said. As for the "if it ain't broke" argument, that's the same attitude that got Detroit in trouble. It's also the same attitude that ensured Harley never appealed to anyone who wasn't born 60 years ago.

Ford is becoming known for fixing things that aren't broken. Ecoboost and SYNC are two great examples. Journos aren't the only people who care about this stuff. I'm a Mustang owner and I love my car, but technology has become a major selling point for Ford vehicles.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Definitely dampers. Springs aren't as necessary. The Watts Link is the priciest option but it gets rid of that "sideways" feeling over bumps because it allows the rear axle to move up and down as opposed to swinging in a slight arc like a panhard rod does. Still, dampers are probably the biggest improvement I made to my Mustang, and they do help to control the rear a bit better.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I've had good experiences with Sam Strano over at stranoparts. His site has Konis on sale. I see a package with Koni STR.Ts and some springs for $573. If you're not about to take your car to the racetrack then STR.Ts are fine, they're like the adjustable Sports turned full-soft.

I haven't tried the Tokicos or the Ford Racing ones but from what I hear they don't ride as well over bumps.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

scapulataf posted:

RE: IRS VS solid axle.
Big fuckin deal. I don't see anyone bitching about the camaro and its "lol pushrods" engine. Regardless of its a 500 year old design or not, GM is still keeping it competetive in both power and fuel economy. I don't think many people are complaining that it needs more power (though it always does) and it returns respectable fuel economy. The Mustang with its oxcart rear suspension is a proven technology and still handles great so why the gently caress not?

People don't bitch about it because the LS engines offer huge power at low weight. Even people who raced Ford cars shoved LS engines into them. The Ford Modulars were quite the opposite until the Coyote.

Companies that stick to what works never get ahead. It's not a viable strategy unless you want to engineer and sell mediocre vehicles. Sure, they may be great today, but in 4 years? 10? If Ford is pushing technology in every other aspect of its cars, including engineering, I'd be surprised if they didn't go to IRS. Or those potential Mustang buyers will instead buy a Genesis Coupe. (People under 40 don't shop for "pony cars" these days, they shop for "sports cars" and they have and will cross-shop these two vehicles.)

About the lie: It's an SRA. You can't adjust rear camber without a torch, a large set of pliers, and some heavy gloves.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Edit: Sorry, was mistaken about the G coupe. The V6 Mustang went faster around C&D's Lightning Lap than the G did. Still, I've heard coworkers shopping for cars talk about the two. Hell, someone cross-shopped the new 5.0 with the M3. He chose the M3, maybe for the four doors.

If I'm coming across as DEATH TO SRA well I'm sorry, that's not the message I was trying to get across. I was simply saying that the refresh might as well do without it. The present car is great, even off the dragstrip. The Boss will be even better. But what about afterwards?

Still, the current car can be set up to do very well on the street and at the track. My car (with aftermarket dampers, stock springs) rides better than the G coupe. I was in one with coffee in the cupholder and a rough patch of road shot some up onto the ceiling. Doesn't happen in my car, live axle and all.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 20, 2011

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Well keep in mind that my car's ride quality was greatly improved by the addition of $600 dampers, and even that didn't get rid of the rear end "shimmy" entirely, although they definitely made my 2008 less of a handful on the track. Doing that would take the addition of a $600+ Watts Link. I might go with the Steeda one, since it's relatively lightweight and doesn't use loud rod bearings. But that one costs over $1k.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, I think the 2010/2011 got the forward and rear control arms from the GT500, a longer rear upper control arm, and more rigidity. It also got better tires.

Tell us how your HPDE goes! I hope to be out on the track again in March when things warm up. And don't be afraid to ask Sam for recommendations, he primarily does autocross but there are things you can apply to open track as well.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 20, 2011

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

A properly set up IRS will display good handling with good ride comfort. Bad ones do one or the other, or ones with a gigantic roll bar. An SRA also tends to do one or the other, plus it's a lot of unsprung weight to control. There's also the lack of caster/camber adjustability. By the time you optimize the SRA to both handle well and provide comfort in daily driving, you're well on your way to IRS level cost.

I remember some Ford engineer saying the reason why they didn't put a Watts Link in was because the current setup only had several millimeters of deflection. Even that is enough to dance the rear end just a bit. I hear the difference between a Mustang with the regular panhard and a Mustang with an aftermarket Watts Link is pretty phenomenal.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

MM does a lot of road racing with their Mustangs. They're a reputable shop. Unfortunately, their 2005+ selection is not as elaborate as theirs for older Mustangs.

No idea about labor costs, I did my swap with a friend and a spring compressor. Fortunately we didn't lose any teeth that day.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Griggs is the most expensive, and they had a run-in with bankruptcy in the past so I don't know if they're making as many parts now as they used to. Still, the hardcore road-racers love Griggs stuff, but those guys are running in American Iron. For something you want to drive daily, Griggs offers a combo with dampers, springs, torque arm, and optional Watts Link. I decided against getting one because the torque arm requires welding and fiddling with the exhaust clamps on my H-pipe. A torque arm also increases unsprung weight, something we already have to deal with.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Jalopnik, Autoblog and TTAC have posted reviews on the new Boss. Sucks that they're limiting production on the Laguna Seca. I hope a lot of that tech trickles down into the next Mustang refresh.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Now if only Ford would give me the Boss engine and suspension in a Highland Green model without any body kits applied.

If they did this I'd trade in my '08 Bullitt in a heartbeat.

How many Laguna Secas are they planning on making? I know they're making around 7k Boss Mustangs, but how many of those are Laguna Secas?

re SRA: Apparently the Boss rides on dampers similar to Koni sports (yellows.) That will account for most of the better handling and ride since stock Mustang dampers suck.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Isn't that why you can get two keys for it, with one activating a normal street engine tune and the other activating the balls-out track tune?

The splitter might have to go for the street, yeah.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I wonder when Ford will ditch the Shelby moniker and start calling its high-power Mustangs SVT Cobras again. Shelby doesn't do poo poo these days except sue everybody.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

redscare posted:

When everyone that was between the age of 8 and 18 in 1968 is dead

Those geezers can pay $60k+ for that ugly GT350 remake if they really wanted to have their Shelby thrill.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I would really love a new Boss but I'm saving money for grad school :( Crazy how the Laguna Seca comes with R-comps. I do track days and I would love to smear M3 owners with one.

Maybe oil will rocket to $150 a barrel and these cars turn dirt cheap. One can only hope

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I'm really not sure what kind of Bizarro world I'm in right now; journalists are praising a Mustang? Quick, someone have Clarkson test drive one so the world can be righted once he makes some mention of rickshaw suspensions or the colonies or something.

Clarkson loved one of the previous Roush Mustangs.

Yeah I'd love for TGUS to review the Boss. Tanner definitely needs to wring one out on the track.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Or maybe I just don't like TV shows that aggressively spread ignorance on a subject where many people would be well served to be better informed.

If I remember that episode correctly, they drive the first generation 2007 GT500, Clarkson goes lol dumb American oxcart suspension, and at the end they throw in a drive of a Roush version that does the same lap in the same time. They never mention exactly how the Roush suspension was different, I guess Roush puts in springs, dampers and a Watt's linkage, but now the internet meme is that the Roush had IRS.

Without turning this Mustang thread into a Top Gear discussion, the Roush went around 2-3 seconds faster than the GT500 despite being lower on horsepower. Clarkson credited that with its upgraded suspension, which did not include an IRS. The first gen GT500 was, handling-wise, a pig.

Clarkson is mouthy but he at least respects the Mustang name, calling it the greatest car ever due to its history and marketing success. He also liked the 2005 Mustang, calling it "horrid but lovable." It's not a sophisticated car by any means but it definitely has something that makes you want one.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 8, 2011

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Which is why I want TGUS to drive it. It won't get a fair "review" on TGUK.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

From what I understand it'll be sold for 2012 and 2013. I think the redesign will hit in 2014.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, tires and brake pads are definitely the first two things to upgrade. The thing is though, the Boss gives you all that and more, stock, without the trouble of putting it together yourself. R-comps!

Also my not-so-regular GT is a bit down on power compared to the M3 :(

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

kalvick posted:

I hate to have to keep repeating myself. Basic suspension mods on any old stock Mustang will end up making that car a corner carving demon. Big powerful engines dont mean squat if you cant keep the car on the road. You really don't need a Boss to compete with an M3. Dont get me wrong I wouldnt turn down that opportunity though!

Agreed, when I posted "smear M3s" I probably should have said "completely and utterly emasculate it." I would like slick tires but I'm trying to cut down on spending since I have to save as much as I can these days.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I think my pipes need to be louder, so I can blast idiots honking behind me.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I've heard great things about the manual. It's a Getrag, right? The 5-speed Tremec had some quality issues, apparently not all had shipped with lubricated synchros or whatever so some people had issues with low gears.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

drat, that new GT500 had better come with some seriously wide tires if it has any hopes of putting that power down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Yo dawg

Now he can rev while he revs.

Thanks to warmer weather I finally got around putting more parts in. I discovered that Ground Control sent me the wrong drat spring perches on their caster/camber plates. These front struts are a pain in the rear end to torque with my noodly arms.

TSW has some wheels out called the Nurburgring. Silly name aside they're very good wheels, around $250 for 18", forged. They look like the RTRs but come in either matte bronze or matte gunmetal. Definitely want a set of those, but grad school :(