Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«16 »
Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hello there mustang thread. Ive been keeping an eye on the craigslist mustangs in my area lately to get an idea of the prices and I just had a few questions. Im looking at used 2002-2008 models, regarding general reliability are the late model 4th gens more trustworthy than the early 5th gens? I could go either way on my preference for looks but the only thing I know how to do is replacing brake pads and rotors so Id prefer the platform with less chance of breaking down.

Also, how much is too much to pay for a 4th gen? Theres a 2004 V8 stick with 54k in leather for $7650 near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Im currently looking at 03-04 mustangs in my area and although there are quite a few GTs theyre mostly automatics. Would anyone in this thread ever recommend going that route? Automatic, I mean. Ive always driven an automatic, but now that I have a decent job I have the benefit of shopping around a bit more and Ive always wanted to drive a stick.

Given limited options would you guys rather drive an auto GT/V8 or a manual base/V6? Im hoping if I wait long enough a perfect example will pop up.

edit: actually I found out my cutlass supreme is more powerful than the base model by about 15hp so I dont think Ill be looking at V6s anymore, wait for a GT it is!

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 12, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Okay, thats good news actually because with so many autos on craigslist Ive been tempted to just go pick one up. Ill hold out for a stick GT. The general consensus for that is "If youre gonna buy a mustang why get the V6?", right?

I live in Buffalo, NY. Yes Ill be buying dedicated snow tires.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fucknag posted:

Definitely pre-'10, same goes for manual vs. auto aside from the aforementioned 1/4 mile times.
Okay then, thanks for the help! My next post will probably be months from now but hopefully Ill be showing you guys my new mustang.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hi guys, Im looking at an 04 GT with a stick later tonight. 51k miles, says he keeps it in a garage during winter (Buffalo, NY) everything looks mostly stock. He put it up for 9.5k, KBB for very good is 9.7. Anything I should be specifically looking out for?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Welp. I bought a mustang.

Those are the craigslist pictures, I didnt think to take any. Talked the guy down from 9500 to 8500 because the tires were almost done and there was a tiny dent in the wheel well. Its a 04 GT with a stick and the 40th anniversary package. Im not thrilled with the aftermarket headlights, which are like the BMW angel eyes or whatever theyre called. 51,000 miles. The guy is driving it here tomorrow.

Time to watch videos so I can learn how to drive stick.

edit: Im the 3rd owner, apparently the first owner lowered it, added a cai, changed the lights and added some silly lights in the wheel well. Everything else is stock.

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 21, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

coolskillrex remix posted:

Good to know prices are still fairly high. Gives me high hopes for when i sell my 2002 34,000 mile 6psi kenne belle setup with tokico gas shocks, K&R springs, and magnaflow exhaust
Well, I paid 1200 less than KBB. I didnt think 8500 was high, I see auto V6s going for 7000. You guys would know better than me though!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

kalvick posted:

Awesome deal dude! I always cringe when I hear generic terms for lowering it and cai. I am pretty much becoming a suspension snob. when you say lowered, do you know if the springs where cut? or where they replaced with aftermarket? if they are cut, your car is gonna be bouncing all over the place. a good set of H&R springs will be awesome. As for replacing the lights, they are really cheap, about 135 bucks per set.

in the picture the exhaust tips do not look like they are stock, do you know what exhaust is on your car?

If you are planning any mods, invest in full length subframe connectors and a different set of rear end gears for you car like a 3.73 gear ratio. your car will be nice and stiff and be able to launch a lot quicker.
Thanks, I did ask the seller about stuff like that but he said the PO installed it all and didnt have specific details. I didnt take a closer look yet at the filter but I just noticed it was a K&N, and that it looked dirty. Could be this? As for the springs Im not sure, but the car didnt bounce at all, it felt rather planted. Ill jack up the car tomorrow if it doesnt rain to see any identifying marks on the exhaust.

I still havent driven it yet, but its sitting in my driveway. I cant help but smiling just starting the car up, it sounds so amazing coming from an 96 oldsmobile with a few holes in the mufflers.

edit: So far the only "mod" I want to buy is rear window louvers. Its silly but ever since I was a kid Ive had a weird obsession with them.

Cage fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 22, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Just got back from driving my 04 GT for the first time. I didnt do too bad, but it took me about 5 minutes to go further than 5 feet. Kept letting go of the clutch too fast and not giving it enough gas and it would either lurch or stall. I can start up smoothly now, I just have to go really slow.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fucknag posted:

Best way to learn a clutch is go on an empty side street in your neighborhood or something, and practice taking off without touching the gas. After that, learning how to feed in throttle is a cakewalk.
Ill try that out on my lesson tomorrow. My feet are kind of sore today, my left foot isnt used to doing anything.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I sound like a broken record but the secret is to know the clutch pedal is your friend. People who dont drive manuals do not understand that what people do with clutches is hold them halfway for a long time. By a long time i mean more than "one one thousand two one thousand". Everyone thinks the clutch pedal is a land mine when theyre first learning. Its your friend. Dont be afraid to to keep the clutch 50% while giving the car gas UNTIL youre moving at a 3-5 mph. In stop and go traffic on the highway when youre lurching behind another car you can have the clutch pedal at 50% most of the time youre on the highway.
Thanks for this, my starts were much better today because I was kept the clutch in a little more for the first 2 gears. I did kind of have a "any clutch movement between 0 and 100% is ruining the clutch " attitude when I first started, but after reading up its just normal to keep it in a little bit. Thanks everyone else too for all the tips!

clutchpuck posted:

Excellent. My wife has all but demanded I get louvers for my '00 GT. Used to have a set on my RX-7 and it was
If anyone has any favorite brands Id love to hear some recommendations. Wheres a reasonable place to buy aftermarket mustang parts, anyway?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

So a two week update from a guy that drove four mid 90s oldsmobiles for the past ten years: Driving a mustang gt is awesome. My father and brother like it so much that they keep washing it for me and polishing the wheels, I can get used to that.

Heres a question, is it bad for the clutch to start from a standstill in 2nd gear? The car just goes through 1st gear so fast its kind of annoying if Im city driving. 04 GT for reference.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

What gear ratio do you have? 3.31 2nd gear lugs a lot, it sounds like a diesel truck because the engine is lugging so much.
I have no idea. I wouldnt say it sounds like a diesel its just deeper, but all the power is still there. It doesnt sound like when I used to accidentally go from 2-5.

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 4, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I bought a thing (louvers) for my car. You can click for bigger, but you shouldnt because I didnt wash my car.

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 27, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I got them from Mach-Speed. I like that its straight and the sides dont curve down at the ends. http://machspeedinc.com/ford-mustan...ml#.Ucyuivnvt8E

Theres a 5% off coupon that should pop on on the side of your browser window, brought it down to 237 shipped.

I will say though that ever since I put them on Ive had a lot of people "race" me on the highway. When I say race I mean that Ill drive past a car and then suddenly theyre on my rear end and driving like an idiot just to get in front of me. That means they win, I think.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

What is the difference, if any, between the wheels of the last few generations of mustang?

Looking on americanmuscle.com and other sites, wheels are mostly categorized as 94-98, 94-04, 99-04, 05-09.

Here is a 05-09 bullitt: http://www.americanmuscle.com/17x8-bullitt-chrome.html

Here is a 94-04 bullitt: http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrom...-17x8-9498.html

All of the specs seem to be the same and the model number of the wheel seems to be the only thing that differs. What am I missing? Theyre both 17x8 5x4.5s so why wouldnt either fit?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I just changed the passenger rear caliper on my 04 GT and when we attached the end of the parking brake cable there was less slack than on the old one. My brake handle is also much tighter too, theres no play on it at all whereas before there was at least inch/inch and a half. Anyone ever adjust their cable before? I dont have a haynes manual yet, but after googling it looks like this can be done via taking the center console apart.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

That is a good car. The wheels remind of some sort of motorcycle wheel, though. Don't know why it makes me think of one.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that must be it. Good catch, those wheels remind of of that logo, whatever it may be. West Coast Choppers logo?

Much better looking than the new edge star wheels I have, though. Especially since the center cap gets dirty at a different rate than the rest of the wheel.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 6, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Anyone here have experience using a tuner for their mustang? My friend with a charger keeps telling me to get one, but he has an automatic so he had more to gain with it for the tweaked shift points. I wouldn't mind an extra 20 hp, but having never used one before Im not sure if Ill be takin a hit on reliability or extra wear/tear on the engine.

Its an 04 GT with a stick.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the info, I think Ill hold off for now. If there was a nice MPG increase I would consider it but Im still happy with my <260hp.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

This is merely just brainstorming for after the winter, but has anyone ever bought a custom gauge for their mustang, specifically from Carribbean Custom Designs? I like the look of the Mach 1/Bullitt gauges, but theyre rare as heck and expensive.

You can customize the style, background color, illumination color and even put your own logos there starting at $75.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Im going to be putting my 04 Mustang away in my driveway for the upcoming Buffalo, NY winter. Anyone have suggestions for a good car cover? American muscle has a generic indoor one for $89, and custom fit 99-04 outdoor one for $189. Is there anything better that you guys like? Also, is there "best" winter car storage checklist that you guys know of? Ive read a few, but they all seem to vary a bit.

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 16, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

kalvick posted:

I used to do the same thing buy a high end car cover, but every other year they start to rip and just become junk.
now I just get a good generic car cover for 60 bucks, store the car under it. and use some bungie cords and clamps around the wheel wells
to stop the wind blowing it off.

Dont run a cable from one side of the cover to the other side to tie it down. the wind will blow and the cable will rub against the rockers and pull paint off.
tie the cover around the tires!!!
Do you get a lot of snow? I heard the cheapo ones will trap water, thats what Im mostly worried about.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

kalvick posted:

New Englander here.... There is no such thing it a water proof cover, water will get under it no matter what.
if you did get totally water proof, condensation builds up under it and will cause mold to grow on non metal parts, and rust to appear on metal parts. It will also oxidize parts like the alternator, brakes, and other galvanized metals. the ceiling is made of cardboard/fabric and will warp if you keep the car covered with a totally water proof cover.

good luck dude.
Thanks so much, this is my first winter storing a car and I thought I heard a while ago that waterproof was what I wanted. Ill just look for a decent cloth one then. Ive already got swirls in the paint so I know Ill have to give it a good washing and detailing next spring.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

kalvick posted:

good advice
Thanks!

opengl128 posted:

Bad advice, don't start it unless you're going to drive it at least 15-20 minutes to burn the moisture off.
Id rather not drive it because of all the salt on the roads, but would idling be ok or no?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Without looking at a picture of a Camaro side by side I have to say that everything behind the headlights looks like a Camaro.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Whats the factory wheel offset for the SN95 mustangs with 17x8 wheels? All I can google are other forums with other people asking the same question. The couple Ive seen seem to think its 30mm, but I wanted something a little more concrete before I buy winter wheels.

edit: Found a picture of the back of one, stamped 17x8J30. Guess that answers it.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 1, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dick Burglar posted:

High beltlines are here to stay--it's a side impact safety thing. Get over it.
They're still terrible, and we're allowed to discuss terrible things that displease us.

Note: I have not yet been hit by a car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

First, if you get a V6 mustang, you do not like cars enough to care.
2011 happened, why are we still thinking like this?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Got some cheap wheels on craiglist, plastidipped them blue and got some winter shoes. Delouvered it because my $250 piece of plastic will surely crack in the cold. After 7 months I still love the car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

I did new spark plugs and plug boots with my oil change yesterday... holy crap it was down on power. Now it really does have all the earth-stopping power of a Camry
Nice, I like your little gold mustang. How easy/hard is it to replace the spark plugs on this engine?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I didn't see it mentioned in the first 10 pages, anyone here have anything bad to say about short throw shifters for an 04 GT? I don't want to get one just because, I do feel 1-2 is a long throw and could be improved. I think Ive narrowed it down to the Steeda or MGW, unless you guys have a better suggestion. I only narrowed those two down via mustang message boards, which as you guys know are mostly pretty terrible.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The new mustang will have a bunch more hp than my 04 but with snow tires its not a big deal at all. With most all seasons or any summer tire you might as well be driving on plastic rings. You going for a manual or auto?

Sandbags in the back helps in general, but especially when you're starting from a stop.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I imagine if this person doesn't sell the car I might see it in the news in a few weeks. Maybe surrounding a telephone pole or under a semi.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4352714543.html

Who would ever pay more than MSRP, anyway?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Does anyone have a new edge mustang with stock size wheels right now? Im looking at new summer wheels, and Id like something different than cobras or bullits. I found a pair I like, but the offset is 16 and the stock offset is 30. That means the wheels will stick out 14mm (or 1.4cm) past where normally sits. Since I have winter wheels its harder to go outside and visualize it, and I didnt get many clear pictures of my car with the summer wheels on so I really cant tell if it'll look bad or if you cant even tell.

For reference heres an old picture from this thread, unfortunately its as big as I have since it was a skydrive uploaded photo and that drops the resolution.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mechaet posted:

Offset 30 will be fine. You're well inside 1.4cm of movement outwards. Unless you have some setup that positively centers the axle, you're going to get a small amount of rub on hard cornering, so I wouldn't take it to a track day without resolving that first; but as a street-driven car it'll be just fine.
Thanks for the info, you mean 16 offset though right? Because 30 is what I have right now.

thebigcow posted:

I look at that picture and realize I need louvers.
I have been in love with louvers since I was a kid, that factored heavily in my mustang purchase.

Tide posted:

I love the new edge Mustangs for some reason. I wish they would have updated the interiors to be more angular as well. The temptation to pick one up kills me sometimes.
Its not strange, the GTs have less power than a new V6 but I too really like all the straight lines and angles. Theres just so much body on the newer ones.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Do you have amazon gift certificates or something?

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Mach-Speed-22...r/dp/B007QTSZYG

Thats my exact set, though I bought them directly from the manufacturer with a 5% coupon.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Man, $410 shipped for four brand new bullitts is tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wow. I cant believe how easy it was to switch headlights in my new edge. Took me 15 min, but that's only because the aftermarket ones that were on there needed to be spliced, and the electrical tape got all gummy and tough and hard to remove.

On an unrelated note, I have to say that a lot of mustang owners are jerks. I look over whenever I see one on the road and try to give them a wave, but no ones waved back yet. No one even looks over. I know they're pretty common cars, especially for someones sweet sixteen but still.

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 19, 2014

«16 »