Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it's anything like the GM version (and it probably is), removing it can be as simple as unplugging the solenoid. That solenoid probably also saved you a gas guzzler tax, so don't hate on it too much.

Unfortunately it isn't, you need to disable it via software. It's the one reason I got a tune.

Other option is rev it out in a first a little bit when you start out and you'll never see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Rabble posted:

Wait, really?

I always thought that a tune was sort of worthless if you didn't have any mods. The only reason I was looking at one was because of the slight discount you get when you buy it with the CAI. Don't tell me all those fuel economy and HP gains are real.

You're leaning out so fuel economy should be better. Also, by default Ford limits available torque below 3k rpms for what is likely drivability concerns and there's always some power left on the table so yes they're most likely exaggerated but real

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Devyl posted:

If Ford doesn't decide to bring it back in '15, then yes; it'll be worth big bucks eventually in the future. But my folks are hearing rumors of another 302 or Boss variant for the 2015 total refresh of the Mustang. Otherwise, you get Boss Mustangs like the Shinoda Boss on the SN95 chassis. Despite being a factory "Boss" option, today they can be picked up for a cheap price.

Special edition Mustangs are cash machines for Ford and the dealerships. Regardless of what it's called, there will be numerous special edition Mustangs on the 2015 platform and beyond.

I'd like to see a Mach1 myself

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

lazer_chicken posted:

Changing the spark plugs is hilariously awful on the 3-valve modular. It uses really long spark plugs that like to break off in the head, which then takes a special (expensive) tool to remove the broken plug. Most shops are going to charge a lot to do it because they know that most likely at least one plug is going to break. A shop near me charges $500 labor (plus parts) for plugs on the 3-valve. Have the spark plugs ever been changed? If not then that's a good place to start. 146k is a lot for original plugs.

You can do it yourself, changing plugs is not hard in and of itself, but make sure you are 110% prepared to deal with it if one breaks.

I refuse to believe it's worse than changing the plugs on a 4th gen Camaro.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

As an engineer, let me explain this phenomenon:

Everyone has core strengths and weaknesses. Some engineers strengths are working with their hands, doing complex applied math, and solving 3d puzzles (design). Other engineer's strengths are making effective powerpoint presentations, holding meetings, delegating tasks, setting timetables, and accounting for dollars and hours spent.

Guess which set of strengths is shared by their managers and bosses. Guess which set of strengths is given power in the workplace.

That's true but the other issue is that service is really a secondary goal, the primary goal is getting the car together on the assembly line with as few quality control issues as possible. It gets even worse if something gets revised late in the design cycle to address something found in testing. Often something needs to be fixed while affecting as little around it as possible to keep costs down. You see a lot of manufacturers fixing issues in software now that might've meant a recall and replacement of major components 15-20 years ago.

Also, nobody's boss is going to be impressed by the engineer who makes the car easier to work on but makes it harder to assemble by workers who range from incredibly skilled line workers to knuckleheads who may very well be high or drunk.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Locobono posted:

Good advice. When do the 14's drop?

March usually unless there's an issue.

edit: You should be able to beat invoice at this stage of the game, a '13 is already almost a year old. I paid invoice + 500 on a dealer ordered '11

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

coolskillrex remix posted:

its like an $600 job in labor alone. Ive heard 3.55 is comparable if you can find that. 3.31 is bleh though.

My dream mustang is just a non premium with recaro and 3.73, thats it... I dont need upgraded brakes. its $30,000 delivered, if i could get $1500 under invoice and $1500 with the rebate for $27000 that would be awesome.

Agreed, I actually ordered my 2011 with the 3.55 gears because they trap better quarter mile times stock than the 3.73s. The 3.73s require an extra shift into 5th whereas the 3.55s (stock) don't need 5th.

Not sure if the extra 8 horsepower changes anything.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Rhyno posted:

This guy is literally my best friend in the world. I'm trying to keep him from making a huge mistake. Just me saying "don't buy it, its a pile of poo poo" won't work.

It won't work if he's got a hard on for the car already but you can always try to convince him to buy one that hasn't been in 2 accidents. At the very least convince him to drive it and compare it to something else.

I know this is a Mustang thread but I'd much rather spend that kind of money on an 5 or 6 year old GTI than on a 4.0L V6 because I've made a similar mistake. Terrible performance, mediocre efficiency and it's just not fun. Nobody is impressed by a hairdresser trim level Mustang and all you'll hear is "Is that a V8? No? Oh well at least it looks fast".

There is no pre 2011 V6 worth buying...period.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

amp281 posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a little blower like the Roush m90 or doing the Dept of Boost kit. I wouldn't mind making 400 rwhp (about a 100 more than current) and don't really feel like making more than that since thats about the limit of reliable operation on the 3v. I figure 400 would get me competitive with the 5.0 and the random vettes and gtos. Would also stomp most imports. I also have 4.10s and I figured any more power and I'd be better off with my original 3.55.

I think 4.10s might be a little bit much for a car you want to drive on the street with either of those kits. If you wanted to keep those gears go with a centrifugal supercharger or go the turbo route.

Also, that Department of Boost kit is as cool as poo poo.

PS: Whatever gears you choose don't be stupid on the street

kronix fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 17, 2013

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Just curious, I don't know anyone running a blown 3v but wouldn't the instant torque from a roots style supercharger make the the 4.10s overkill? Wouldn't you want the 4.10s a turbocharged application to keep the car high in the power band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Tide posted:

I couldn't tell you how many times I put mine in reverse at a stoplight thinking I was in first :negative:. The reverse lockout (push down, go left then up) on mine barely works. If you put ANY weight on it, it will go straight to R instead of 1. Now I 'find' second, then go to first.

I really prefer my '04 GTO's far right and up for R

I agree, ford has it fixed the in the Focus ST. Reverse is in the same place but you have to pull up a collar to engage it, so it's much more deliberate than it is on the Mustang.