Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Nait Sirhc posted:

Go drive a Mustang and then go drive an E55. Tell me what you think.

I'm sure your 4200lb 469hp car is like eighteen leagues faster than a 3500lb 412hp car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kronix posted:

I get that it won't create traction out of thin air but it's nice to have especially going up slippery hills where it's really hard to tell. None of this is a huge deal, my fiance has a Mazda3 so it'd not like the mustang is going to do hardcore winter duty. My Camaro with 0 electronic goodies was doable so I was wondering what the new stuff would be like. Plus the Mustang has a ton more horsepower.

Just get dedicated snow tires and you'll be fine, MA doesn't get enough snow to overcome RWD unless you're being an idiot or go to Chelmsford regularly. I've seen E92 M3s out in a few inches, and my friend even DDs his S2000 in deep snow.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 17, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kronix posted:

Honest question, at what point do new Mustangs get to be un-streetable? I thought 400 horsepower was pretty near the max of what I'm personally comfortable with as a sorta daily driver but Ford's gonna have to push more horsepower out of this motor every model year.

Never, really. With TCS and modern engine management you can make it so you have to REALLY try to kill yourself with 650hp. For example, when using launch control in the ZR1 the car samples wheel speed sensors and within 10ms of detecting wheel slip or an increase in the vehicle yaw rate, it will retard the fueling/timing or lightly apply the brake to keep the car arrow straight. Teach someone how to bang the gears and you can have someone whose never driven a stick before running in the 11 second range consistently all day.

Cars have already surpassed the "How much do we really need?" in terms of horsepower for the past two decades, but they've made the power so manageable it's more about the nut behind the wheel.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 29, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kronix posted:

Yeah I don't get that, the 270 horsepower GT's from early last decade had a much higher governed limit. Not that anyone needs to be hitting 120mph

Cars are limited based on the shittiest tire they come with, which for the V6 mustangs are the "Michelin energy saver a/s" which carry a speed rating of "T" which incidentally is 120mph/190kmh.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kronix posted:

Personally the 30 or so horsepower isn't worth those ugly stickers. I think it might make a good garage queen but I wouldn't want to drive that around everyday. I must say though, those side pipes are absolutely insane.

If you want 30 horsepower buy a GT and get a tune.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Did no one read the part where it said that most of the performance upgrades were in the suspension?

That was my point, if you want 30hp more just buy a regular GT and get a tune. You wont fully be using the 5-ways or brembos on the Boss on the street and if you have it at the track then you aren't going to be giving a poo poo about stickers.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Looks like it's going to be $6900 ($7500 polished) for the 525hp version and $7200 ($7750 polished) for the 624hp version.

Biggest news in my opinion is that the difference between the 525hp version and the 624hp version is 2psi; 7 vs 9. Both version use 93 octane tunes.

Edit: Almost forgot, 50 state legal. Whipple and Ford jumped through the hoops for a CARB EO number. Whipple says their number is good to 12psi too.

I wonder what the difference is, i.e. if once you are through the 12mo warranty you can just change some code and have 624hp.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
22k gets you 260whp, a 6 speed, and rwd? gently caress.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

My heavily modified '89 5.0 still gets around 22mpg on the highway (better than my 940 turbo) which is what it's supposed to get. Every sports car is going to get wild mileage figures since they can be driven so differently depending on your mood.

I was discussing how an exhaust usually leads to a decrease in MPG, especially when it sounds good in the upper RPM ranges under full throttle.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

centric8 posted:

Um. Nope. Your econobox is fuel injected, not direct injected. Unless it's a diesel. DI for gas engines is a comparatively recent phenomenon, though it's quickly spreading to all new engines.

Bonus points: the Corvette offered fuel injection as an option starting in 1957 (albeit a mechanical system.)

It's recent in the US, if he's in Europe they've had it in cars since '97 and most manufacturers have at least one Di model, including mercedes who had it in '53.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

CombatWombat posted:

:corsair: Back in my day, we thought 628 horsepower stock was ridiculous! :corsair:

628 NET horsepower :smug:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
You realize prices aren't 1:1? A GTi here costs around USD20k, if it were just a direct conversion we'd be paying closer to 10.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Payndz posted:

Er, yes, I know. The GT I configured was over $34k, which is round about £22k at current exchange rates. A GTi over here is £23k.

Yes, we get absolutely stiffed on car prices in the UK. And everything else, for that matter. (And it gets worse in January when VAT goes up to 20%...)

Ahh, I thought you were complaining about the price of models relative to each other instead of just the high cost of cars. You do get kinda screwed :smith: At least you get TVRs.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

whiskas posted:

A GT500 starts at $59K, so who the gently caress would buy this thing? It's just some stuff taken out of FRPP's catalog as well as someone ejaculating SHELBY badges all over the interior and exterior of the car.

Same person who spends $220,000 on a 1969 GTO.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Number_6 posted:

Thanks for the reports.

Except for this guy, I have no idea what he's talking about. Apparently he thinks all cars built after 1976 are flawless and have unquestionable reliability.

He's saying a lot of people who complain were perfectly happy adjusting their carbs every two months but oh my god is that a MAF it's goin to break once in a 200k lifespan what a piece of poo poo pain in the rear end system what do you mean my car has an interior where are my bias plys *makes 150 gross hp from 454 cubic inches, gets smoked by a camry, parks in corner at car show and talks poo poo about jap crap and 500hp*

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 11, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Wow, impressive. Are gears really a bolt-on though? Seems like something you need to take to a professional (or have access to tools and knowledge to press in bearings).

Final drive i.e. differential gear, way easier than transmission.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Even that's not something that's really bolt on right? I'm assuming you have to remove and replace the pinion gear, set it's bearing preload, etc.

If you decide to go in and remove the gears, it's a bit more complicated. You can just unbolt the differential and replace the entire unit with another one running a different ratio though.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

I got a Check Oil light on my 2008 V6 for a split second today right after I started it up from being stationary for a few hours in the cold. Is this something that demands getting checked out immediately?

Check your oil level.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
My friend brought his '07 GT500 to work today with an intake, exhaust, and some suspension and holy loving poo poo those are the greatest hoon cars ever. I thought "spins tires in 3rd" was just a retarded euphemism but they really can upset traction at 80mph in 3rd, they really do have a terrifying amount of power. He's looking to sell it if anyone in New England wants one.

Also twin screw whine :swoon:

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 17, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I'm having such a difficult time convincing myself that I don't need a BOSS because I don't road race. I've always wanted an original BOSS 302 and this new one is just calling to me so hard.

I mean, just look at it!

How will it sit in your garage for decades if it's running :ohdear:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

There are camshafts available for the Coyote already. However, the reason you don't see cams as such a popular mod is because these engines can make 1000hp without them. Why spend the money if you don't need to?

Are VVT controllers a popular item for the 5.0? I know in some other vehicles (cough honda) changing the switchover points can make a pretty big difference in the smoothness of the power delivery and amount of torque available through a powerband without changing anything else.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Double posting because this is hilarious to me. How much tuning ability is there in the stock ECU? How about enough to allow your car to sound like it has some huge lopey cams at idle, but transitions to a normal tune profile once you pass 1k RPMs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamElP1BSn8

Speaking of things you can do with a VVT controller.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

That is pretty much the coolest car related thing I've seen or heard in the past few days. It's just so raw! What did they use on the ECU to make that happen?

Using the high rpm camshaft at low engine speeds or putting in a lot of timing/spark adjustment.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Someone actually outdragged you to it, phil:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=389367278#post389289443

They posted it manually while phil's auto was deciding which TSB number to stick with :smug:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Q_res posted:

That's retarded, nobody gives a poo poo that the 6.2 is bigger than the 5.4 already in the GT500. And I'd bet most people who buy them couldn't even tell you what displacement the engine was off the top of their head. Some sure, but those are exactly the same kind of people who wouldn't care in the first place.

People alive in the 60s-70s car lingo bingo:
Cubes, five hunnet horsepower, blow doors off of, gas was a nickel, "I had a 427, 454, SS", four barrel, jap crap, blocked off intersection to race, spin wheels in 4th.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Oxytocin posted:

"Five point O" was and is marketing bullshit for the mulleted.

5.0 is an American tradition you commie gently caress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkD4CY7YAQ

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Oxytocin posted:

Thanks. I was running low on my Friday evening douche chills.

I think that song is why they killed off the 5.0 originally.

On a more serious note, it depends on the target market. I've met (older) people who still are the the 'no replacement for displacement' mindset and will look down on a 4/5/6 cylinder because they're rocking a V8, or think a 4.2 is definitely faster than a 2.0 turbo.

Although your demographic may not really care about displacement, people who grew up in the heyday of muscle cars probably still do to a point and they're the people dropping 100k for a ~~~NUMBERS MATCHING GTO~~~. You sell to the audience you need to court. Young dudes and tuners don't give a poo poo about displacement, it's the older market that the 5.8 would cater to, as weird as it sounds.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 19, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Tax return coming in! As soon as I'm back in the US I'm taking the pony in for a service then pulling the trigger on this:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-power-pack-v6.html

Any reason why I wouldn't wanna do that?

You could put that money towards a v8 :smug:

Seriously though, if you wanted straight line speed you should have bought a V8. 15hp isnt really that much and that 800 would be better spent on suspension/tires.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I don't drag race, so forgive my ignorance. Bolt-on what, exactly?

Bolt on means anything you can pop on a car without need for modification. It generally means intake, exhaust, cams, and computer flash, although anything can really qualify. I've heard new rear ends and Nitrous referred to as bolt up.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

If you want to sort this issue out like men, I bet I could find a kiddy pool and some jello...

One race, account pink slips on the line.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Or literally a pink slip, they kind of look like muscle shirts.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Maybe you should buy a real car, corvettes are designed ground up to be convertibles so there's no extra weight or flex with one :smug:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

I also pulled the codes with the tuner and this came up:

"P1000 OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete."

Looking online it seems that this code is normal after an tune flash and it goes away by itself?

It's a readiness code for inspection, the ECU runs through a big checklist of operating parameters during the first 40-50 miles after a reset and fires off a CEL if anything is still amiss after that time. That monitoring code will cause automatic failure during an inspection so people don't try to sneak around car issues by clearing then getting an inspection.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

http://funfordweekend.com/

Fun Ford Weekend is back. It looks like they found sponsorship finally and are going to run a limited schedule this year. I still prefer the NMRA, but now that the corrupt motherfuckers who ran FFW are gone, maybe it will be as big as it was in its heyday again.

So, what's their gimmick? They are holding timed, competitive autocross events at a couple of their events along with the usual drag racing. No word on a combined timed autocross/drag race class.

I went to a fast ford thing at a drag strip once and their gimmick was rear ends exploding every 8th run from people doing power adders/drag slicks and ignoring the diff. Maybe that's the plan for this one too!

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

sliderule posted:

Where do they allow you to register a caged car?

Cages aren't illegal, just a terrible idea if you're not wearing a helmet and harness.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

It's weird to see a practically pristine looking car with a blown bag. The airbag sensor must have taken a direct hit when the bumper cover was momentarily pushed in?

Airbags are very powerful when deployed at full speed and as a result, using one to stop your face is actually very painful. Earlier cars only can deploy at full speed, so they tend to have a high impact g requirement before deploying since at that point the bag may possibly cause minor injury but it's not going to be as severe as no airbag. Newer systems can deploy at lower pressures and speeds when needed, meaning you can deploy them in a 10mph accident and the benefits wont out weight the costs.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 10, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

I like their little flowchart. What's stopping a guy running a tune from flashing back the original then disconnecting a battery terminal for good measure?

Also the whole "you're running a tune, any tune, WE NO WARRANTY" seems extreme...hell, Ford Racing offers tunes...

That throws off a code which will make them wonder about why the system was cleared or battery unhoooked. They don't mention it in the bulletin, but with the "call for hotline" step I'm sure Ford Corporate has some ECU parameters or a way to look at the ECU to tell if it was reflashed. I doubt they'd actually go through all that trouble unless you majorly gently caress up the engine, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by deterring one of the biggest Mustang selling points if they deny engine warranties because a coil pack dies and hey is that a tune?

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 1, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

What does turning off the knock sensors get you? Seems like it'd only be something you'd do in certain situations where you didn't mind risking the engine, like professional drag racing or something like that.

A very aggressive map might have occasional slight knock, or sensitive knock sensors might trigger when none are actually present. The knock signal can trigger a CEL, cause the ECU to pull timing, or put the engine into a limp-home map.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 1, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kronix posted:

That said less weight, better fuel economy and more go is exactly what car buyers today want. The Mustang now is in no way a family car so shrink the back seat and the trunk for all I care I can't fit anything but groceries back there anyways.

The 2011 Mutang 5.0 is pretty drat big, I can sit in the passengers seat with my 6' friend behind me in the rear with no space issues.

frozenphil posted:

It will sell, but not nearly as well as it has. The rear in the current Mustang has proven itself to 9 second ETs at the drag strip and podium finishes on the road course. I just don't understand the clamoring for an IRS in the car.

Chevy seems to have done a pretty good job making the ZR1 drag capable with the new halfshaft setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

How much does it cost again?
The new 5.0 is faster than the ZR1 if you add a blower and drag radials to it. :can:

Yea, I didnt mean to compare it to the ZR1 since they have very different purposes, just that you can engineer an IRS that will do 8s/9s and handle well, albeit not as cheaply as a SRA.