Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I learned how to drive on a stick. In traffic. Soooo many stalls at red lights; it was rough on a brand new driver!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Battery in my '07 died in '11. Not too bad of a run, but not the crazy lengths some of you guys are reporting.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was mentioned a long time ago in this thread, but the main thing I miss, going from Mustang with suck traction control to Challenger, is the feeling that my car is going to just spin out every time it hits a minor bump, and literally drifting sideways down the street on my way to work when there was an inch of slushy snow on the ground. When I first got the Mustang, all that stuff was scary as hell, but towards the end, it was all part of the fun.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

So after driving a Durango and 94 GMC pickup truck for the last EVER. I have decided to start looking at some new cars. Especially the mustangs. I have always been a camaro guy, but I am apparently too tall for it. I sat in one and my head was almost to the roof. I love the challengers, but they are so expensive for what they are.

Looking at a used 2009 Mustang https://usedcars.truecar.com/car/Ford-Mustang-2009/1ZVHT80N995137648

I know nothing about these cars. Looks to be a base model, and the price seems great to me. Especially with 45k miles. And it might have a working heater and A/C. I'm selling my 2 other cars for 4k total, so this mustang will only cost me about 10k or so.

Hoping this post is okay, just looking for opinions of the year/model/car.

Wait, how are Challengers too expensive? The RTs are a little slower than Mustang 5.0s and even less slower than Camaros, but you don't "feel" it while driving because of the ~400 torque; you only care about the HP/weight difference when racing cars (which means it doesn't matter because you're modding anyway). And base RTs are often cheaper than Mustangs and Camaros new. You're paying for the extra room and more options on base to make up for the second difference, basically.

The depreciation is less on Challengers, probably because there are less of them on the street, so you might be finding used ones for higher cost, maybe. That's the only thing I can see you really referring to.

You don't really want a Mustang before 2011 unless that's the only one you can get. There is literally a 100HP jump between 2007-2010 and 2011, and you definitely feel the difference while driving. To make a comparison, an 11 V6 is a drivers race between that and a pre-11 GT (a GT is still slightly more fun to drive because of the torque/sound) and it's 100HP/torque less than the 11 GT. Even if you don't care now, you will care once you have it for a while. Try test driving all of the cars for a while before buying, and try different trims of each.

Darko fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 6, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Powershift posted:

I don't think someone buying a v6 challenger really cares about the extra cog. The R/T is only 4 grand more(base model to optioned up even) and comes with the 6 speed stick standard. Compare that to an $8,700 gap on the mustang and a $9,300 gap on the camaro.

Edit: funny story, in canada, the gap v6-v8 challenger is $10,800, and the 5 speed auto is standard in the R/T with the 6 speed stick being a $2000 option. gently caress us right, it's not like the loving car is built here.

That's just terrible, and, amusingly enough, is the source of a few arguments on message boards (with Canadians arguing with Americans about the RT value because neither knows about the different pricing in Canada/US).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If you're going to go used, you should probably look for a private seller on the V6. You can find a better trim (Performance package w/ 18" wheels and better tires, the upgraded suspension, etc.) for a cheaper price because of the high depreciation on Mustangs. Otherwise, just go new.

What exactly are you looking for in your car, too? That will help.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If it's a daily driver it only makes sense. Average drive distances + 2 or 3 road trips a year can give you around that much. And they're pony cars, not sports cars, they're fine for daily driving.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, 23k is for basically the standard V6 with a few bumps in options and trim. Getting a V6 Premium for that is realllly hard, new. I'm in Detroit (stated because there are billions of V6s on lots) with a ton of options AND A Plan pricing, and I'm only able to whittle your trim choice down to 25k at best, in my 15 minutes of playing around.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I had leather seats in my '07 and didn't like them all that much. Don't know if that changed in the 11+s or not.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mustangs are only big if you have a 2-seater sports-coupe or roadster. For a muscle/pony coupe, they're on the small side, especially when it comes to parking. It's hard for me to park 70s and back muscle in some situations, and I have the same problem with my Challenger. I could maneuver my Mustang in almost anywhere reasonable relatively easily. And it had juuuust enough space in the inside to fit my long-legged six foot fame into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm weirded out by the front, still - something about that slope annoys me. I do like the rear, though.