Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

frozenphil posted:

I like the spoiler on the pre-2010 models, but the 2010+ spoiler just looks weird. The little ducktail the 2010+ come with without the spoiler looks much better in my opinion.

I wish they had a spoiler more like the 03/04 Cobra spoiler. I don't know why, but that style spoiler just looks awesome to me.

I've never liked Mustangs whatsoever, but I'm really thinking that when I rotate back to the states in 3yrs I'm going to end up with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

I admit to being slightly surprised this story isn't gaining more attention:

Bill Ford confirms future Ecoboost Mustang

As long as this SVO means we don't have to deal with a naturally-aspirated Pinto-powered S197, we're in good shape.

Oh god. This could be amazing. How mod friendly is the 3.5?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Killbot posted:

It ended up costing them money to put the solid rear on the chassis anyways.

I dunno phil, that's like saying 90%+ of potential Mustang buyers don't care what TiVCT does or how many liters are in the engine. If you're talking about the lowest common denominator Mustang shopper, then perhaps. Are we talking about the car as lowest common denominator enthusiasts?

The difference is people clamored for, wanted, and are now buying in droves the car with the "ancient" suspension set up. Yeah some journalists want a nice IRS system...but honestly, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

95% of the people who buy the car, don't care whats under it. Out of the remaining 5%, I'd say 4.5 of it is people who want to go as fast in a straight line as possible. Why add the IRS for such a small percentage of people when it's obvious it's not hurting sales or performance, in the way that the Mustang is generally used?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Q_res posted:

What really summed it up for me was an article Motor Trend did on a pre-production 2010 Mustang with the handling package Ford was working on at the time. Motor Trend gushed about how well the car handled, how amazed they were with what Ford managed to squeeze out of the solid-axle. Even that it outhandled the Camaro. They then concluded the article by stating they wished Ford would update to an IRS, and offered literally no reasoning for it other than wanting it.

That's been pretty much every magazines response to it.

Ford finally did an amazing thing, and now everyone is just whinging for the sake of doing so. For what the car is, there is NO POINT to sticking an IRS under it.

Man, if this car gets much drat better it's gonna be really hard to not make a Bad Life Decision in a couple years....

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

frozenphil posted:

I wonder what people will bitch about now that Ford has fully sorted the SRA for the street?

That it has a SRA still.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MikeyTsi posted:

Why on earth would it be expensive to do? You just pop off the cover on your oxcart, pull out the old gears, install the new ones.

5 to 800. Easily.

I dunno about you, but I hate spending close to a grand on a car I just paid 33K for.

Did you ask the dealer if it's possible for them to swap 3.73s in?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

RockSmart posted:

To get all $3000 worth of incentives I have to use their financing, which doesn't have the best rates. But is there anything stopping me from financing through them, getting my own financing (USAA) and bringing them a check for the full amount?

poo poo, you may be better off just doing USAA to begin with. When you figure in that original loan, plus the interest from it...then swapping it to USAA and even more interest, it may not even be worth it for the incentives.

USAA usually has killer rates. I have nonexistant credit and got my used car loan at 4.3%.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

RockSmart posted:

If I only pay the original loan long enough to avoid any early-repayment fees, I should be alright... just don't know how long those fees last

What type of interest rates are you getting on them, if you don't mind me asking?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh my drat.

That Boss 302 is making me want to make some horrible, horrible decisions in my life. I'm more excited about it than I am the new Camaro....and I'm usually a Ford hater. Wow.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, is the Boss 302 going to be a one year thing, or is it going to become kind of like the Mustang's version of the SS for a little while?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

redscare posted:

Why are you buying a Boss if you're just going to be going in a straight line

The same reason that's the only track 99% of the ones that go outside of a garage will ever see: Turns is hard.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kimbo305 posted:

The Windsor has a reputation for easy power. One example I thought of is putting on a bigger cam. Which is in fact a single camshaft that'll go in the valley and drive all 4 sets of intake and exhaust valves.

The Coyote motor aftermarket has been well served with bolt-on mods. Does the hydraulic variable timing hardware and having to do 4 camshafts mean that tuners are more reluctant to go after an aftermarket cam setup?

Even on the older SOHC and DOHC cars, cams were done pretty much only at high rear end power levels. They're expensive and a PITA to install, from everything I've seen, so they just don't get done very much.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

VibrioCholera posted:

Yeah, I'm glad I came here before some Mustang boards sending me to dipstick Illinois to another guy who would hack it up.

I knew the TKO 500 was going to eat poo poo... last tuner was tuning it with it in it. I know very little in terms of transmissions. I mentioned my desire with a 1000+ HP setup to go to automatic (I want to choke on those words but it's the safe / consistent / cheapest way to keep the car running). Thought a PowerGlide would work. Not even a day later they call back saying they look over everything and the car would spit a PowerGlide out and to go Turbo 400.

I'm new to automatic land but pretty drat glad I looked into it. If it's going to cost $8k (after transmission + additional parts and labor/freight) to get a transmission to handle the car I can't imagine what it would have cost to run a manual that wouldn't break.

Phil has to be right in that they just want you with a 3 speed for a street car, because no loving way will you make too much power for a 'glide. The TH400 is an amazing transmission (GM did some things right), but the powerglide will handle more power than you will ever dream of making.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mcmagic posted:

I think it depends how much you drive the car. If it's a weekend cruiser you have to go with the Manuel but if you're driving it every day I would go with the automatic.

So you're saying you want the transmission to be made in Mexico instead?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

A.o.D. posted:

If the alternative is China? Absolutely.

Sigh.

It was a joke based on the fact that he spelled it manuel, instead of manual.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MrSaturn posted:

Update: I went to another dealer tonight, and took a regular GT with a 6 speed for a spin. It was a good drive, and it has comparable power to the Camaro. I did find that the clutch on the camaro was a bit harder of a throw, and seemed to have a more sensitive engagement point. On the other hand, the Mustang was notchier to shift, and took quite a bit of effort (I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though).

It hugged curves nicely enough, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the whole experience. This dealer was much more welcoming, and I was able to poke around with the Boss on their lot (though they still wouldn't let me drive it - it was in the showroom, too). The GSM at the dealership was quick to assure me that he'd find out ASAP about ordering a 2013 Boss, but I also got the impression he'll be asking more than MSRP, which, apparently, not all dealers are doing, so that's another matter entirely.

Maybe I'm just destined to drive finicky old cars forever. I'd much rather blow $20-40k on a classic barge, for whatever reason. :v:

Just to compare, I walked into a dealer this weekend, pulling up in a rental Versa, jeans, and a band tee and had no issue whatsoever in taking out one of their 2 boss's.

It was amazing. I just wish I was coming back to the mainland before 2014 so I could justify one now. Just not worth it in Guam. But I am glad I came back to VA and got to drive one, it was seriously amazing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

oRenj9 posted:

Just curious, why are you choosing a turbocharger for only 100HP? That seems like so much more work than a supercharger for power levels that are relatively modest. It looks like the prices for each are pretty comparable.

Unless it's a twin screw, turbos just sound cooler.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kalvick posted:

OK WOW! I just want to mention that the ecoboost is probably going to be the #1 seller here. If you get a loaded ecoboost model you are spending $36k on a drat 4 cylinder car?! HOLY F***ING poo poo! I never in my wildest dreams would have thought a 4 cylinder pony car would ever cost this much!
I know it has a turbo and its got Ford's halo engine but seriously a 4 cylinder Mustang is 40 thousand f**king dollars after tax, title, registration, dealer and fees! That is insane!

Anyways, enough ranting, fortunately anyone that does manage to buy a loaded car, you should feel proud that in 10 years or so when you are looking to off load them, that there wont be many out on the streets and you will be able to get top dollar on the used market.

I f***ing know right how dare they f***ing make money and sell it priced like comparable vehicles motherf***

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just go catless x pipe and one chambers.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cage posted:

Should've mentioned I live in NY, and as of Jan 1st this year we can only go OEM or carb compliant aftermarket.

edit: I just found this out 10 minutes ago so I couldnt have mentioned it, but that means that I cant technically use the one I found for $457 on rockauto as its not carb compliant.

I have no idea how thorough auto shops are in their inspections though. How would they know that part is aftermarket if its supposed to be an oem replacement?

That sucks, cause they're cheap as balls.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I secretly hope that 2.3 is overbuilt to 2JZ levels.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ilkhan posted:

Plus gas and the insurance difference.

I actually like the EB PP wheels, though I like the GT PP wheels better. :/

Don't be surprised when the EB has higher insurance costs.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
gently caress cup holders, I had a stock shifter in a Fox body snap the gently caress off right below the threads for the knob.

Nothing like going 2-3 and punching the radio with all of your loving might.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cage posted:

Check his rap sheet.

"Attention whoring with a really bad gimmick. User loses posting privileges for 1 week."

Which is hilarious, as he was fulfilling a Toxx.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Powershift posted:

And an exhaust.

The scary part is they replaced the rear subframe and half shafts, kinda suggests they put weaker, lightweight components in for fuel economy that won't be able to handle a beating with upgrades.

This could end up like the v6 lightweight driveshaft fiasco with "i modified my car and the driveshaft blew up" type stuff again.

They did that to all of the cars. Not very many cars, especially IRS cars, can handle full drag launches with slicks.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wheeee posted:

I think the Dodge Hellcar cars are awesome and if I ever bought a Mustang it'd have to be a V8 for purely subjective reasons, I get it.

But that doesn't change the fact that most "car people" are bench racing idiots with delusions of being race car drivers who don't realize just how fast even a mundane modern family sedan is.

It's making fun of the Toybaru thread.

But, it is still a solid point. I had higher hopes for the power of the EB Mustang, so here's to waiting on the aftermarket to see what happens.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tide posted:

The '94 and '95 SN95 aren't bad (5.0) but the '96 to '98 (4.6) are dogs unless you do a head swap. Especially the '96 and '97.

On another note, I saw a '15 today in the wild for the first time. Not a 5.0 and wasn't sure if it was an EB or V6. Orange. Looked a lot bigger than the outgoing models, for some reason.

You know, I completely forgot about the 94/95 cars. Quick craigslist shows good looking examples under 2k. That, to me, makes it a no brained over a Fox if you're just trying to go fast and want a 5.0.

Figure 1500 on the car, that still gives a 4000 budget before you've even hit "decent" Fox territory. That's a suspension overhaul, motor rebuild and some go fast parts of you're doing all the work yourself.

Still won't look as cool, but it's definitely an option. And now I'm tempted, gently caress.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slow is Fast posted:

^^^
That's what I was trying to say.

And don't let the "non-forged" business scare you off.

We ran a procharger on a bone stock 94-95 at 8psi for YEARS. Started spraying washer fluid and upped the timing for around 350. This is with a quick dyno tune and no logging no street tuning and a poo poo tastic piggy back.

The motor had issues with it pushing oil out of everywhere, but when we build a new block, there were no issues with the block or rotating assembling on teardown of the old.

If it blows up get another or just vortec swap it.

And maximum motorsports does not care if you have a fox or an sn95, they will happily take the extra money you save by getting an SN95 and you can still turn gooderer.

Pretty much. And again, a fully forged assembly is right about 600 bucks. So not hugely expensive.

Plus the benefit of 5 lug stock, and everything from 94-04 is pretty much interchangeable. I'd like to do one with the steering rack from an 03-04 Cobra, grab seats and probably the rest of an interior from a newer one, brakes from the Cobra, forged 331 and some 4.10s in back.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Passed a car hauler this morning with 5 new GTs on it. God drat that's a sexy car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kalvick posted:

I never understood this, and the last paragraph of the article generally states this, about Aftermarket parts, but Ford is under no obligation to warranty parts they sell for aftermarket use.
Buying a Ford vehicle then buying Ford S/C or other go fast parts, having a Ford Dealer install them, at a Ford dealership, does not guarantee you any kind of warranty from Ford.
If a super charger is the cause of the engine blowing up, Ford will not replace the engine under warranty. Even though they did all the work and sold the parts relating to the engine blowing up.

Also The article seems to mention you needing to buy a $595 part to reflash the computer, technically a reflash from the dealer ship should be free and not require a $595 part. this happens to cars all the time.

It's not a needed reflash. You're paying $595 for a tune that won't void your warranty.

And yes, if you install certain parts, even from Ford, it won't be warranteed if that part makes things break. Which is normal.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Scotch posted:

I'm not surprised about the heater. The heater in my Escape has three settings: warm, hot, nuclear furnace.

Glad it's not just me. 72? Cold. 75? Warm, bordering on hot. 78? Might as well be in a boiler room. 81? I smelled burning.

And like others, the new Mustang is really making me want to make bad decisions.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Starkk posted:

DIB is the right choice.

edit: better light shot at my dads place

I see one like that in traffic a lot. Even on the bike I'll sit behind it to hear the exhaust before I split by.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tide posted:

I'm not kidding.

Back when the Coyotes came out, some chick was taking her Mustang to the track with some pretty basic bolt ons (slicks, long tube headers, a couple of other basic bolt ons, and MAYBE a higher RPM stall converter, plus tune) and running high 10s with two kid seats in the back. I'll see if i can find a vid of it. She might have had a bit more but it wasn't much that you couldn't do in your driveway.

A quick search brought me this link: http://www.modularfords.com/threads/185818-Bolt-on-2011-2013-Mustang-GT-5-0-Drag-Racing-ET-List

So, more than just basic normal bolt ons, but still. Mid 10s? I'll take it.

This makes me happy, because it means the Mustang is finally (10+ years after they stopped being made) finally caught up with the f body.

So now I can buy the one I like, without starting so goddamn far behind.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kalvick posted:

Why would you want to put in a non Ford based engine is beyond me but it is possible.

If you have an SN95 V6 or a ratty GT, it can make a lot of sense. Especially if your only goal is to go very fast in a straight line.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

Let's not pretend that an LS wouldn't lower the center of gravity and drop some weight compared to a modular.

Oh, completely agreed. Just thinking that there's not much point to doing the swap unless you plan on racing it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mechaet posted:

The only thing an airbag has ever done for me is burn both my arms.

I can use a seat belt properly, no airbags required.

I really hope you're joking.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

oRenj9 posted:

You can get bluetooth audio through the menus as well. But, since it's Sync, you have to go through nine different sub menus to get to it.

It's like two menus, and not hard at all. Unless Sync has changed massively, anyway.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kalvick posted:

I finally uncovered the Mustang today after 7 months or so in storage. I started her up and moved her about 10 feet and let her idle for a while. I let her air out with the doors, trunk, and engine bay open.
Then she got dusted off and got the windows cleaned the and she still looks brand new and sounds great!

However, My headlights look a bit cloudy though, I dont understand why they do that, so thats a $60 repair job I am gonna have to deal with sometime soon.

If it isnice out for the next couple of days, I can work on installing this years mods, and then post some pics!

Wet sand with high grit then polish. Takes a couple hours, but it's cheap. Just make sure to polish and put a UV protectant on them, or they'll yellow immediately.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

RFC2324 posted:

Oh jesus. I have a long drive from TX to FL this summer, which doubtless takes me through these states.

Good bye spine.

That stretch rattled a trailer so hard I snapped a strap and ripped a tiedown off the wall of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wrar posted:

I drove a 3 year old car from Philly to Miami, which is probably going to be a similar distance drive in many cases. You're buying a mostly new car with what should be no problems and a huge dealer network and probably AAA if you do have problems. It's not a 76 Nova, but hey, your money.

Not to mention that is one of the ugliest goddamn Mustangs I have ever seen. Jesus.