Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Omegaslast posted:

By the way, my cousin installed the corsa axle back exhaust on his 2011 yesterday (it was harder than i expected, we took almost 2 hours). It sounds good but not great. Its very quiet until you get to about 4000-4500rpm. It sounds like a muffled piece of tin foil is being drummed when sitting inside the car. On the highway what was really odd was it seemed like it was coming from 2 cars behind us, as if the sound couldnt catch up. Sort of like how distant thunder sounds. Its still a lot better than the stock exhaust which cant be heard unless its WOT all the way to fuckin red line.

I suggested he try ford racing parts GT axle back exhaust for california (they literally made one thats 49 states legal, and 50 states legal, due to loudness) so he knows he has the best possible axle back exhaust but he isnt buying the suggestion :(

Recent cars seem to be getting too much noise insulation :(. My dad's 2010 CTS-V was the exactly same way. We put on the Corsa Sport catback and you simply can't hear it from inside unless you are hard on the gas and near the rev limiter....meanwhile the car is screaming from the outside.

And then you put on long tube headers, and it's still quiet inside but your neighbors are foaming at the mouth every time you start the car.

More reason to get the Boss with the reduced noise dampening, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Here's a picture of it in the showroom, with my son foaming at the mouth to get in. More and better pictures to arrive when I take delivery.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

We'll need more pictures and some videos ASAP! This is the exact color combo that my gf keeps telling me to get, personally I was growing fond of kona blue with the red skinny stripes from the SVTPP.

Even though the 2011 5.0L GT is the best bang for the buck, I can't deny the fact that I love the GT500 (and I was a diehard Chevy guy). Luckily one of my nearby dealers has around 8 - 10 2011 GT500's sitting in their showroom in various colours and stripe packages and they are quite willing to negotiate. Just gotta dig up some cash first :(....and garage space.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 31, 2010

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

He's got kind of a big rear end...

Tell him to use the gas pedal more then, haha. When my Z06 was stock, I barely ever noticed the skipshift while driving around the city. If the light ever came on, a quick burp of the gas would quickly eliminate it.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

mcvey posted:

I picked up an '02 Camaro Z28 last week and I hate it with a passion already. I don't think the Canadian cars had it but this is one from the States. :argh:

This is how I've been solving it.

Canadian cars definitely have it as well.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Throatwarbler posted:

Or maybe I just don't like TV shows that aggressively spread ignorance on a subject where many people would be well served to be better informed.

If I remember that episode correctly, they drive the first generation 2007 GT500, Clarkson goes lol dumb American oxcart suspension, and at the end they throw in a drive of a Roush version that does the same lap in the same time. They never mention exactly how the Roush suspension was different, I guess Roush puts in springs, dampers and a Watt's linkage, but now the internet meme is that the Roush had IRS.

What I enjoyed about that episode was how they dyno'd that particular GT500, found that it made less than 500 hp at the rear tires (no poo poo) and then spent the rest of the time making a big deal about how it 'wasn't actually' a GT500.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Apparently DMH cutouts have much better quality; the QTP ones are prone to failure. Heck, I had mine on for 2 months before the servo failed, and I was only opening and closing the cutout once a week.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Owsla posted:

Good to know. Right now I'm loud as hell all the time but I'll probably wind up with a cutout someday on something so thanks for the tip.

And to make things convenient, magnaflow sells a stainless clamp-in cutout y:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02cutouts.asp

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Hmmm...I wonder how Ford plans on getting 5.8L out of the 5.0 Coyote engine?

Sometimes I love being right so much. :)

It seems that the rumor so far is that it's just a 5.8L mod engine.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...more-power.html

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Q_res posted:

Guess what Coyote is...

There are significant differences, but it uses the same tooling as the 4.6 mod motor. 5.8 just so happens to be the displacement you'd get if you did a Coyote off the tall-deck 5.4 mod motor.

Also, I seem to recall frozenphil swearing up and down it'd be 6.2 based.

Ahh, gotcha. I thought they were simply boring out the current 5.4L block and leaving it at that based on the comments in the Car and Driver link. I didn't realize it was going to be a stroker.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kronix posted:

The ZR1 Corvette is completely well mannered and it's a much lighter car. Tuning, electronic throttle, and computer nannies make it a ton easier to be civil with big numbers these days. Not to even start with how sticky the street tires you can be these days are.

Before I bought my current Mustang I was afraid of it because I figured that much horsepower meant the back walking out all over the place and having to drive nervously every time the weather got bad but as long as I never disable traction control completely it's never a problem. I was showing a buddy from back home my new car about 2 weeks ago and I accidentally accelerated way too fast out of a toll road late and night and hit what was probably some oil, the back kicked 2 or 3 feet out but the car was straight before I could even fix it myself. If that were my old Camaro it would've been a lot more "fun".

Big power in modern cars is easy as long as you're willing to pay for gas.

Plus keep in mind that the ZR1 has massive 335 rear tires compared to the GT500's 285's (same with the CTSV). The most common complaint I hear about the GT500 and the V is that they simply don't have enough rubber in the rear to hold up to the massive 500+ lbft of torque. They've pretty much hit the wall from an acceleration standpoint unless you want to upgrade to 305's or drag radials.

Heck, I was running PS2 345's on the rear of my C5Z06 for awhile and with *only* ~400 rwhp, it was still pretty easy to light up the tires if you weren't paying attention.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 19, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

That's just a regular old GT500 too. Stupid people will pay it at first, and within a few months you'll be able to buy them at MSRP.

A few months ago I was at my local SVT dealership looking at 2011 GT500's. In Canada they cost around 60 - 70K. This dealership had 11 sitting in the showroom at the time so obviously they were very willing to negotiate to move the cars.

The dealership in question also had a used, blue on silver, 2009 KR sitting in the showroom. They were asking mid 90's for it.

I asked them what was up with that, since everyone would immediately pick up the newer car instead especially considering the price difference. The sales manager explained to me that it was one of the first KR's in Canada so as expected they were able to sell it with a significant "market/demand adjustment" on top of the MSRP. The buyer was desperate to have one first and bought it. He drove it for barely a year and then traded it in on another vehicle. The dealership made the mistake of paying him market value for the car.

And now they are stuck with the drat car and can't sell it as they aren't willing to take the significant loss to get it out of the showroom. As you can imagine, it is very difficult to sell a 2009 KR when it's sitting beside brand new 2011 GT500's that have a much slicker body, more options and more power for 20-30K less.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Throatwarbler posted:

There were earlier posts about swapping a Tremec in, so maybe that's what you meant?

Anyway reading the links posted it seems the problem is with the design of the shift linkage, not with the guts of the trans itself.

EDIT: There's a link in that thread about similar problems with the GT500 too (Tremec TR6060). I guess you guys should have bought M3s after all, it's the only way to be sure. v:downs:v

While the GT500's have been having transmission problems themselves, they are more of a design issue than a quality issue. The GT500's are having issues shifting into 2nd gear during quick, WOT shifts at high rpms. It seems to be due to the fact that while at load, the obscene amounts of torque are causing the engine/transmission to shift over and the resultant shifter placement is making it difficult to properly engage second gear.

Fixes are along the lines of making sure you've backed off the throttle enough when you shift, pausing before jamming into second, installing a MGW shifter or using a WOTBOX to cut the ignition when you shift.

Second gear on Tremec T56's and TR6060's has always been difficult anyhow. My c5Z06 never liked second, same with my dad's C6Z06 and my uncles SRT10 viper. I've been hearing similar complaints from Camaro owners as well.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 17, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

This post actually eased my mind today. I'd been wondering in the back of my mind for a while if my GT500's transmission was going to catastrophically fail, but I forgot to take into account the fact that it's the Getrags having all the problems, not the Tremecs. Although, I'm also glad you posted the fixes in case I ever run into a hard 1-2 shift issue.

You definitely don't have to worry about the Tremec failing, they are bullet proof transmissions. I've been road racing and drag racing my 2003 Z06 for the last 4 years and with the exception of the iffy second gear, the transmission hasn't missed a beat. And most of this racing was on slicks (luckily Hoosier R6's that are cambered out so it can't actually hook up when launching).

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/709678-2011-gt500-1-2-shift-problem.html

The link above is a large thread on SVT Performance that specifically focused on the 2nd gear issues of the 2010 - 2011 GT500's. I was keeping pretty close tabs on it as for the last few months I've been debating between getting a 2011/2012 SVTPP GT500 or a CTSV.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 20, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
I just bought this bad boy today. I fell in love with the red/kona blue GT500 colour scheme a year ago and finally picked one up today. Since I sold my Z06 last month I've been debating between a CTSV and a GT500 as I wanted a supercharged V8 hotrod. The ford employee pricing helped make that decision alot easier as well.

I had looked at the 5.0's but I love the drool factor of the GT500, plus I prefer the exhaust note of the 5.4L over the 5.0L. I also didn't want to excessively mod this car and just planned to leave it stock with the exception of a catback or longtube headers. My insurance quote for the GT500 was also alot cheaper than a 5.0L or my Vette.

Specs:
2012 GT 500
SVT Performance Package
Recaro Racing Seats (EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE)
Electronic Package with Nav/Sync

Excuse the iPhone pictures, I didn't have my camera with me as it was a unscheduled stop at the dealership that resulted in me leaving with this car.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 10, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Q_res posted:

Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever seen a color combo I actually like with the skinny stripes.

Exactly my thoughts. My alternative choices were plain jane red, or sterling grey with red stripes (which was discontinued). I was never a fan of the white stripe package, especially since you end up with white stripes on the seats.

I saw this exact car at a dealership a year ago and had fallen in love, but didn't have room in my garage due to my vette. Luckily that GT500 sold before I could get myself in trouble.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 10, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

ApathyGifted posted:

Uh.... why?

Lower claims against the GT500 is what they told me. Higher ownership numbers of the GT result in a higher amount of claims. Hell, the insurance on the GT500 is cheaper than on my truck, a 2009 Silverado 4x4.

I'm a diehard GM guy but this GT500 was the first car to seriously make me question that allegiance.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 10, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

UNF!
So jealous right now. You really can't go wrong with the GT500. Whatever you do, don't go to this link right here if you plan on sticking to those modding plans. I wouldn't want you to see that 675rwhp is $4k away. ;)

That was the problem I got into with my Z06! I bought it 4 years back, the modding bug started and I ended up with a track car that I road raced the piss out of. Our race track getting shut down took care of that though.

This time around I was looking for something just for cruising to work and back, road trips, burning tires off, etc. I was cross shopping this against the CTSV as it was the only comparable GM that appealed to me (mainly the supercharged V8) but the Cadillac doesn't have the attitude of the Mustang. Driving it felt sterile in comparison. It took me one test drive to fall in love with the Mustang, I couldn't peel the grin off my face.

And I was definitely not impressed with the Camaro....waiting for the ZL1 is one thing, but I felt that the ergonomics of the interior and the visibility were a let down. It reminded me of the last time I got stuck with a Hummer H3 rental on a business trip.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 10, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not gonna knock the choice, but I probably wouldn't get a car in red and blue.

Yeah, it's going to be a VERY unique colour combo! The pictures were with a iPhone 4 with bad lighting, but in person it's a real love/hate combo. I found the other colour & stripe combinations abit boring in comparison. Heck, my dealership had a silver/red BOSS 302 Laguna Seca and this GT500 was catching more attention in the parking lot.

The worst part is that my uncle has a early 60's Jaguar race car in the EXACTLY same blue/red colour & stripe combination, so we're going to have some colour coordination in the parking lot at work now. :gay:

Although I was also drooling over the Grabber Blue/Red Stripe combo at the car shows when the 2010 GT500's came out so I'm probably just blind or retarded.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kronix posted:

I have to say my favorite is the black with grey stripe. There's one that parks at a construction site near my job and it's stupid badass. Then again I like something understated which doesn't exactly jive with what the general GT500 owner is going for.

The other problem is that the SVT Performance Package stripes restrict you to loud combinations. If you want a low key GT500, the base car allows you alot more freedom with the stripe combinations. On the SVTPP cars, the stripes are automatically high contrast as they are either white or red.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

I have a sterling grey with red stripe '11 GT500, and I'm kinda glad to hear it's been discontinued. Makes it a little more " unique", not that GT500's are exactly common around me. I'm also glad I got the glass roof, since it cuts down on the amount of stripe on the car.

I was actually relieved that I didn't get a glass roof. In Calgary we have to deal with a ton of rock chips due to the city gravelling the road in the winter. I've heard complaints from owners that caught rocks on the leading edge of the glass and ended up with cracked roofs. Hell, windshields nearly have to be replaced on a yearly basis here. 3M on the vehicles is a requirement to have paint that'll last more than a year or two.

No idea on the Recaros, but I'm really impressed with them in this application. The seat front also has a faint Cobra label between the slots for the shoulder harness, but nothing that screams "aftermarket seat".

I'll be picking up the car in about 45 minutes so more pictures will follow...of the rubber I'll be putting down in front of the office.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

shodanjr_gr posted:

If you don't permanently mark the dealer's front entrance with your burned rubber, then you don't deserve that GT500.

Our parking lot at work is permanently painted with rubber from my Vette and my Silverado. Whenever it got to be time to mount new tires, I was simply burning the old hides off.

PT6A posted:

Which dealer did you buy from, out of curiosity?

I picked the car up from Advantage Ford on Macleod. They have a crapload of Mustangs there. I dealt with Evan and he was great, he made the entire process very easy!

No pictures yet, I left my camera at work and it has been raining anyhow so I'll need to wash and polish the car. Driving impressions? It's freaking fantastic to drive. It feels great, sounds great, and kicks you in the rear end when you stomp the gas pedal. It took me awhile to set up the Sync but it works great as well.

I love this car!

For those interested in a Recaro retro fit, this thread is on SVT performance: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/782868-power-2012-recaros-my-07-bunch-other-mods.html

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 12, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Angry Grimace posted:

The guy didn't actually say where you get them though, other than to say, "they are new."

I simply assumed he pulled them out of a convertible GT500 in a parking lot somewhere.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

oRenj9 posted:

Do the BOSS/GT500 Recaros come with the side-impact airbags as well?

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Send half your savings to me as compensation. :)
I should probably add that to that reserve post I've never used.

That, rather succinctly, answers that.

Haha, I figured that would answer it pretty quickly. Still waiting to get some pictures, the weather here won't let up. Driving this car in the rain is hilarious.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kronix posted:

Anyone gonna let you take out a GT500? I'd say that's a lot closer to the ZR1 than the Boss.

Based on my experiences, the dealerships will be more willing to let you test drive a GT500 than a Boss 302.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Killbot posted:

I hope they plan on putting more rubber on those wheels. 600hp on 285's is a bit much.

The GT500's need at least 305's. My 2012 smokes tires like they are going out of style....with the traction control on. Driving it in the rain is hilarious. You have to be incredibly smooth and light on the throttle to keep from spinning in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears.

Heck, I put my car on a dyno jet today. From the factory, she put down 380 hp at the wheels WHILE spinning* the tires on the dyno. We had to weigh down the trunk to get it to hook up.

*It is getting abit cold up here but I thought it was still funny as hell.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 7, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

So, where's the dyno sheet?

Just waiting for the shop to email it over so I can upload!

Once weighed down, the car put down 477 hp and 423 lbft. The torque curve is hilariously flat.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, the torque curve is what I want people to see. It's almost Lightning hilarious.

To whet the appetites, here is a video of the warm up run on the dyno:

http://youtu.be/6_tt0tskTyg

And here is a dyno pull with some sweet, sweet blower whine!

http://youtu.be/VflDM4u7Zsc

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 8, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
As promised, here is the dyno chart for the GT500. For comparison, I've also posted the chart from my 2003 Z06 which I used for road racing. It had long tube headers, a dyno tune, intake, exhaust, etc. It's hilarious to see the difference in the torque curves.

2012 GT500, Supercharged 5.4L

2003 Z06, NA 5.7L

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
While I love the new engine specs and will probably need to upgrade mine next year as a result, I am definitely not a fan of the new rear end. That horizontal body line that runs above the exhaust/fascia gives it a boat hull like look.

2013 Rear:

2012 Rear:

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 15, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kimbo305 posted:

I like how that shot obscures how much rubber it's packing. Not that the GT500 needs to be a track car, but it'll need some major rubber to go Z06 or ZR1 Corvette hunting, right?

Based on my experiences with my 2012, 285's on the rear are a joke with 3.73's and only 510 lb ft. The car spins the tires (in 2nd AND 3rd) if you look at it wrong.

I hope to god they went bigger.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 15, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

oRenj9 posted:

I can't see any reason for them to go with a tire smaller than a 335. There are enough cars out there that run larger tires than that stock. The selection and price of tires that size isn't too bad, all things considered. Tire Rack has 345/30/19s starting at $379 a tire with Michelin Pilot Sports coming in at under $500/tire.

Those prices aren't far off from the 255/285s on the current Shelby, so I don't see cost being the issue.

For the current body, it's simply a size issue. I believe the biggest that guys have been able to fit on the S197 Mustangs without it getting iffy is a 305 - 315. Has anyone seen anything larger? I've seen 335's but there were significant modifications in the rear to get them to clear without sticking out and rubbing on the fenders.

The other thing that bothers me is that the rocker panels are now painted to match the car. Being in Canada, I love the fact that my rocker panels and rear fascia are black plastic as it's very resilient to rocks. Those goodyears kick up a TON of rocks in the front and the itsy mud flaps aren't wide enough to protect the paint.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 15, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

shodanjr_gr posted:

Well the GT500 uses Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar rubber. The widest I'm seeing on tire rack are 315s at R19 or 255s at R20. Which is weird since they are using R20s in the rear and I don't see them going with 255s..

Another shot of the rear but the tires look pretty much the same with the exception of the Trans Am snowflake wheels.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Those wheels look almost identical to the SVT package wheels on the current GT500

Stock rear rubber on my GT500 is 285/35/20. They aren't the regular F1 Supercar, they're the Supercar G:2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romCompare1=yes

My problem is when I see those wheels all I can think of is this:

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Q_res posted:

Really, even though those two sets of wheels don't even look alike?

Not all of the snowflake style wheels for the trans am conversions look exactly like that anyhow but the common design philosophy is that they that snowflake design at the base of the spokes. The different Trans Am conversion kits all have slighty different modern implementations of those wheels anyhow.

I would have preferred another HRE look alike as most of their wheel designs are pretty slick, I'm just bothered that when I look at the new wheels, the first thing I'm reminded of is a distinct design feature from the Trans Am, haha.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Lt. Jebus posted:

Well, now that any interest I had in the Camaro ZL1 is officially gone, I need to see how much Canadians get gouged when the release the pricing on this.

If they can keep MSRP within a couple grand of the 58K CAD that the 2012 costs I think I may have found my next car. Not that I really need all that power but GOD drat is that nice looking

Nobody needs that much power but it's loving awesome to have!! I'm abit annoyed that I didn't wait until 2013 as I'd love to have 650 hp for bragging rights (the guys at my office give me enough poo poo about driving a ford). I've been hearing rumors that it could be quite a price leap over the current models (a loaded 2011/2012 SVTPP ended up being roughly 66K CAD) so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Although, I'm betting a guy could get a really screaming deal on a 2012 now. At the dealership where I got mine in Calgary, they had 11 GT500's: 2012's AND 2011's sitting around and we giving out around 8K - 10K off MSRP when I bought.

It would be very easy to bump the 2011/2012's up to the 2013 power levels if a guy is willing to part with his warranty, haha.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 16, 2011

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Around $4k puts an '11/'12 GT500 solidly into the 700rwhp range.

Just for shits 'n giggles I'm going to start off with a set of headers, computer tune and maybe a pulley this winter. I'm not looking for big power just yet but I absolutely love the sound of a mod engine with long tubes. A simple cat back won't do it justice.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

I'll cross that bridge once I'm ready for a big leap in power, right now I mostly just want more noise. I've installed LT's on 3 vehicles within 3000 - 5000 km of buying them.

They'll only compliment the addition of a bigger blower down the road.

The problem is that with the LT's, you have to get a computer tune to reduce the risk of running lean based on my conversations with any of the tuners. With my NA GM vehicles, you could just throw the headers on and run them for a year or two before pulling the trigger on a dyno tune but the supercharged engines respond differently.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Q_res posted:

It's Motor Trend, I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in those images.

I thought those were just photos of the 2010/2011 Mustang that Motor Trend photoshopped a few months back?

In fact, here is one of the original shots:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kronix posted:

Keeping them annoyingly hard to get ensures people will overpay for them in the end. It's one of the things that makes special cars special. The sure fire way to end up paying the most is trying to get one right away.

Porsche and Ferrari are also do annoying poo poo like this.

Although, for the dealerships in my area it's biting them in the rear end now. When the 302's/LS's came out, the Ford dealerships were getting them any way possible, throwing them in the show room, slapping a no touching/no test drive/no looking at until we have a deposit sign on them....and then looking at them for months.

This is a common sight in Calgary. The first one is roughly 20K more than what I paid for my GT500, and I was able to test drive the piss out of mine when I bought it.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2012-Ford-Mustang-Laguna-Seca-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ323499788

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2012-Ford-Mustang-BOSS-302-LAGUNA-SECA-W0QQAdIdZ336239833

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 14, 2011