Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

If they want to kill the mustang brand making it look similar to that would be a great start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I like how the dominator seller doesnt even know the correct engine size it has in it.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

michaelc243 posted:

Already own a 65, this is just going to be my beater/winter driver. thank you though, chief.

And thanks Broken Record Talk, probably picking up Thursday!

So your daughter is gonna have two mustangs? haha

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

After having a total of 7 different mustangs during my years of car ownership I finally tracked down my white whale in an 85 capri with low miles and in great condition for under 4000 dollars. Picking it up tomorrow and more excited about this one then any other car ive bought. Also looked at an 86 svo but it was all junked out unfortunately, probably would have picked that up too just to have it as ive never owned that particular style of mustang but ive had 2 turbo coupes previously.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Rude. posted:

Are there any issues I should be wary of when looking for 1964-78 mustangs?

Question yourself why you are looking at anything 71-78. Also look out for dummies who watched the Barrett-Jackson auction and think their 68 sedan with more rust then steel and hasnt ran in 35 years is worth 10k.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

They are the same wheel its just broken down into different generations of mustangs so people dont get confused and question how a wheel for a different style car would fit theirs as well. Basically just idiot prevention.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

goodfuldead posted:

Not true for the new gens. I owned a 2005 gt for about a year and a half. I rebuild mustangs/all fords/ anything for money (insurance work, rebuild wrecks to sell, etc). Any way, I had some bullitt wheels from an 04 and they would not fit my 2005 unless I shaved the brake caliper. I did not do this. I just about some take off wheels from when they make shelbys and roushe's with brand new pirilli's on them shipped to me for 350 dollars. yes, brand new 05+ bullit wheels plus pirilli pzero nero stock tires with probably less than 3 miles on them. I'll give you the contact I had to get the wheels because I'm no longer building mustangs (I"m making bank on fiesta's right now, so easy to fix I can crank out one a week)

Thats fine but the rims he linked are the exact same rim. I have personally switched 17" cobra r rims back and forth between my cobra and an 08 gt, they fit fine. Perhaps the 04 bullitt rims you switched didnt fit, and if they were ford bullitts they might not have ive never messed with a bullitt rim from that year, but the brakes on the 05-10 gts arent larger then the new edge or s95 cobras/bullitts/mach 1s the rotor is.

I did some research on it up and apparently the 17" Bullitt wheels require a spacer.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I like the look of the new mustang more then the updated s197s, if they could get it under 3000 lbs from the factory I would probably order one as soon as possible. As someone who has driven and owned just about every generation of mustangs made im glad they are going back to a smaller car. The s197s felt huge to me, but this is coming from someone who is a foxbody lover.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Going to go look at a cheap 1997 Mustang GT tomorrow. Seller claims it won't shift into reverse. Its priced at 2000 and hes been sitting on it for some time....

What are the possible issues or repairs associated with no reverse and how easy of a fix can it be? Is there certain signs I need to look for in determining the problem?

Basically I want to know easiest/worst case scenario that I could deal with and how much if could cost... basically if its not trashed, could I stand to make a little cash after I get tired of it?

Edit: car has 124k miles.

I think those still had the t-45s in them and they have a tendency to sometimes get stuck in reverse so possibly the p.o. bent the forks trying to get the car out of reverse or it could more serious internal problems with the syncros or whatnot. I think those run about 1500 new but im not positive about the price. As for a rebuild before I switched to a t-56 several years ago I was quoted a 600 rebuild price on a t-45 I trashed, that was with me pulling the tranny and putting it back in. So you might want to check with a shop on a quote before buying the car. If its just the forks you could probably make a steal on the car and double your money.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How much of a bitch is it to replace forks? But 600 for a rebuild isnt that awful, even with 600 in a rebuild and a new clutch (might as well while I am in there) is not that bad.

Because I would like to get something to drive around for a while, then dump it.

I think its easy but ive been working on cars since I was like 10. Like Devyl said you could try junk yards for a t-45 also they should be pretty common.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah if its ratted out no reason to spend good money on a 97 gt imo.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Id drive the poo poo out of that mustang wagon

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Fox bodies for life. Yeah most foxes you see now are some rednecks loving frankenstein with 280,000 miles on but I swear by god its got 80k all day long for the low price of 7000 dollars.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Terminators are really nice cars but they are suffering from the fox body disease where really nice ones are going for top dollar and beat to poo poo one are going for not much lower. If you really want a terminator I would spend the money on a nice one with low miles without much aftermarket tinkering, which will be like 25k.

I personally think if you buy a new edge with the hopes of making it into a terminator I would just spend that money on a new gt because honestly I dont think its worth the effort, or money, to spend on a new edge with the goal of making it into a clone.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Can you do the work yourself on the car? I mean that control arm is just going to be the beginning of more poo poo that can and most likely will go wrong on that car just due to it being 45 years old. I would definitely have someone look at the frame where it was repaired before dropping any kind of money on it. Old cars are loving money pits man, its never ending. Id walk away from a car that had the frame repaired honestly, but thats just me and it might have been done correctly but personally I would not take a chance on it.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I guess they havent released curb weights on these yet? Car looks really good in pictures, dont like the irs but I understand why they went that direction.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

You might be able to buy a wrecked one for 30k

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

the tabs are used to align the vehicle so if you arent taking the car to have it aligned its probably not a big deal, but poo poo man it takes like 20 minutes to redo stop being lazy.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Premium starting at 36 huh, well I wonder if I could get a fully loaded one for around 38 come late fall.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Tide posted:

I am expecting that if you don't get in on the preorder and lay down a deposit, any vehicles on the lot will go for a premium. Which is to say the dealer is going to add at least a $5,000 markup to it. I was at the dealer yesterday to put in an order (I pussed out), the sales manager indicated they don't expect to have but a couple on the lot that weren't pre-orders.

Probably, but ill sure give it a shot. when I bought my 08 premium it had every option possible for 23500. granted this was about a year after they released the car and the car economy is different then it was back then but ill sure as hell give it a shot, worst ill do is waste an afternoon pissing off the car dealer. You are probably right that ill have to wait on picking one up.

Cage posted:

Who cares about the size of the engine if it makes 300hp? I mean yeah, the V8 rumble is awesome but there hasnt been any shame in a V6 or low end model mustang for the past few years now.

Well when the v8 makes 420~ its hard for me personally to pass up. I understand the allure of the turbo and think its probably going to be a fun car to drive.

Unrelated but I looked at an svo at a used lot yesterday they were trying to get 10k out of that was beat to poo poo. Id like to have the car just to have one but gently caress if im paying 10k for one.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

SFH1989 posted:

My dad and his wife just bought an '06 GT Premium convertible automatic, 17,000 miles. It's going to be his wife's car mainly but my dad can't leave anything alone so he asked me to find out what he should do with it.

He wants a manifold back exhaust, intake, and a tune to make those work. I assume there's a general go-to for all of these. What are some good options? Are there headers that are worth getting?

If hes just looking for it to be loud he could just put an h-pipe on it and probably be happy if you can get away with no cats where he lives, if hes looking to go fast probably the gears and exhaust would be enough depending on your dad's definition of go fast. Personally I dont think changing the intakes on the 3vs are worth the trouble unless you are going whole hog with cams, heads, power adders ect.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Haha as many foxes as ive had I guess ive learned to love the drone and dont like to do without it.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

What happened to all the talk about losing weight on the car and being around 3000 lbs? Jesus christ a 4000 lb sled.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Or you could just wait a year and see what the prices on the 15 are then. The weight on them really cooled me on the prospect of buying one so it will have to be a killer deal before buy one and lets be honest there wont be any killer deals for some time.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Sole Survivor posted:

100 more pounds in return for IRS and more technology and safety features is a bad tradeoff to you?

The thing is I got wrapped up in the 3000lb car nonsense when I shouldnt have. I have a 2013 fx4 with all the new tech and safety features that I already dont care about.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

mods change thread name to airbags and the safety patrol thread

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

im glad he put his window tint % in the description

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Count Freebasie posted:

After 27 years of wanting one, just picked up an '87 LX. It's been worked on (cams, lifters, exhaust, shifter), but looks stock, thank god. I can't wait to see how much money I'll be pissing away on my new weekend car (well, just ordered a proper alternator and ditching those drum brakes is next on the list). It sounds perfectly evil when driving or at idle. I'm quite pleased.

For edification:

Good looking car, I always liked the way the pony wheels looked on the fox.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I didnt think Steve Saleen was part of Saleen anymore but looking up on wikipedia it says hes back with the company and this made me laugh

-Transformers Saleen S281 Extreme 2007 (When GM purchased the product placement rights of the heroic Autobot vehicles, a rival was needed. To avoid legal issues with Ford, Saleen was approached to supply the villainous police car.)

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I would assume you shorted something out, did you unhook the battery before you started changing it over?

Also does the new ignition have a fuse on the box?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

94 mustang with all stock 5.0 motor.

Ran great. Now it cranks but wont start. No spark at the coil itself. Replaced the coilpack and still the same. Grounds have been cleaned up on the car.

Any ideas of where to look next. I'm out of my element because it isn't a subaru.

Going to zip through this list when we have time, but I have no idea what/where half the poo poo is:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/cranks-ok-but-no-start-checklist-for-fuel-injected-mustangs.787471/

Fuel pump running?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

If you have a spare ignition box laying around id swap that out first, if that does nothing for it id move on to the distributor

Scob fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 14, 2014

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

We might have a spare dizzy. Where is the ignition box :downs:

im thinking its on the drivers side fender could be wrong i havent looked at a 5.0 in a sn95 in years

you could also look at the ignition switch, it should still be ok i would think if you are getting it to turn over as it regularly should but no spark id almost have to think your box failed or has other problems playing internet mechanic

Scob fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 15, 2014

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

A 4 cylinder turbo stang is cool guys thats what we need to take from it, more options for a platform are good even if you dont want that specific model

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i do enjoy how the front end is smashed to poo poo in the other 2 pictures then the third, that one, is some kind of 05-09 frankenstein haha

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I found a 2002 GT for a hair under 5k with 149k miles on it. Something in me screams get it, so I'm asking if there's anything I need to look for when I go for the test drive. I've always wanted a mustang, but I've never had the cash/job until now. I'm really nervous right now for some reason.

Those 2v engines arent the most reliable thing in the world so I would use caution before purchase. Ive heard stories from folks of them lasting for 200k miles, but ive heard more stories of failure before 120k. I hate the 2v engines so take what I say with a grain of salt I suppose.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Thats cheaper then ive seen of cobras of that era going for in my area. I would run a carfax on it to see if it was in any wrecks, crawl underneath it and check if there is any visible damage to the sub-frames. I think the 97s still had the t-45 which is a smooth as gently caress shifting tranny but it cant handle any power so check to see that it still shifts well and doesnt get stuck in reverse.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

ama about speed shifting into a styrofoam beverage cup multiple times

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

One of the funniest things ive noticed driving a fox versus a sn95 cobra it seemed like every drat stoplight someone was trying to race me in the fox but in my cobra very few times it happened. It didnt matter what the foxbody looked like everyone from minivans to towncars wanted to race that piece of poo poo but that nice looking cobra rolled up and nothing haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

man i like that gt350 i doubt my marriage would survive its purchase