Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

frozenphil posted:

ATTN Ford: The new 5.0 fits in the Ranger nicely. This is a good idea.

For a minute, you had me excited as I thought it was the new T6 Ranger, but alas, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

Is it still based on the 5.4 or is this a bored-out Coyote?

Based on the 5.4 alloy block ("Condor")

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

You Am I posted:

The Control Blade setup the Falcon has, which looks very much like what that Mustang mule is using, is a very compact setup for a large RWD car.

Control Blade is a cheap arse IRS unit adapted from a bum-dragger at the last minute for the BA Falcon because Phil Martens and Ford Australia couldnt agree on the mounting arrangement, amongst other things. It's penchant for making GBS threads carrier bushes and its stamped steel construction rules it out somewhat for Euro and US customers who won't really tolerate that sort of rubbish. The FG should have ditched it but because Detroit pulled the plug on the Global Rear Wheel Drive program, Ford AU had to go it alone and use the CB IRS due to lack of funds to develop another. The forged alloy double wishbone front suspension setup with virtual pivot is the only thing that made it through from the GRWD program. Or so I thought...

The IRS unit in that Mustang mule appears to be a revised version of the S197's IRS unit that never came. The parts are different, but the hardpoints and geometry are very, very similar. It's very purdy.

I'm told this Mustang mule also has a virtual pivot double wishbone front suspension with alloy wishbones...I wonder where they got that from...

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, isn't the Ecoboost in the Fiesta a much smaller unit than the one that would likely end up in the Mustang? I just don't see a turbocharged <2.0L four in the Mustang.

I think the 2.0 Ecoboost will go just fine in the Mustang. It's recently turned up in the 3800lb Falcon and has been getting rave reviews, so it should perform well in a lighter car. I know the purists will hate it, but part of the next gen Mustang having global appeal is giving it a fuel efficient powertrain option for markets that are sensitive to running costs.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't there a 1.4-1.6L Ecoboost for their really small cars, though? That's the one I was referring to as a bad fit. A 2.0-2.3L Ecoboost could certainly be a good fit; the midrange torque I get out of my Mazdaspeed3's 2.3L turbo is insane.

Yep, as said above the 1.0L 3 cylinder Ecoboost for the Fiesta. The Europeans also reckon they're going to shove it into the Mondeo :gonk:

There is also a 2.7 litre Ecoboost V6 being worked on, called the 'nano' internally, but whether it sees the light of day is another story.