Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Sarthek posted:

is the ATF in the engine block of my '66 289 supposed to be this colour?

:ohdear:

Kinda looks like Tomato soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

This seems like a good time to forward a question I've been mulling over. Is there really any reason to get the 3.55s in the GT over the 3.73s considering they're the same price?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

CombatWombat posted:

I'll wait until they offer the Boss upgrades in a non-terrible package.

Maybe this will be like the '08 Bullitt where it's basically a preview of the next GT.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Instead of a C-stripe we should have got a hockey stripe that goes up the fender and across the hood to meet the hood bulge stripe. Also, painting the roof on anything but cars with black stripes was a retarded idea. Just those two minor changes would have improved things a good deal.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Red stripes on a black car are such a horrific idea. The stripes should only be available in flat black.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Exception that proves the rule. :colbert:

And that's still easily the worst GT500 color combination. EDIT: Make that second worst. I forgot they offer red stripes on Grabber Blue.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 14, 2010

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

But what if you're buying it for the stickers? :ohdear:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

With the DOHC 32-valve heads, don't you have to worry about hood clearance issues? I'm especially wondering about the original Fox-4/SN95 (96-98).

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

The SN95s won't have a problem as they eventually received the mod motor in both 2v and 4v flavors.

I know the Cobra in 99 had the 4v, I'd honestly forgotten the 98 Cobra came with it. And I remembered the Cobras having different hoods, so I thought there might be minor issues.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

It was sarcasm.
The easiest way to put an IRS into a late model Mustang is to buy one out of a '99, '01, '03, or '04 Cobra as they just bolt in in place of the solid axle.

Just curious, has anyone tried to see if the SN95 IRS will bolt into an S197? Seems unlikely, but I'm thinking you could sell a retrofit kit for way too much drat money to a lot of idiots.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

The what now? First year for the IRS in the Mustang was 1999 in the New Edge body style.

Yes, I know, only ever showed up in the SVT Cobras. I'm not sure what you're confused about though? I even said I doubted it was possible.

EDIT: I don't even think it's a good idea if it was possible, by the way, just wondering if it was something you could try to make money off of.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 1, 2010

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

kalvick posted:

It was just sort of an after thought to develop an IRS system for the cobras. I think there where some issues with it? correct me if I am wrong.

No, you're right. A lot of guys that drag race their IRS Cobras swap out for a live axle.

I didn't think it was a good idea. I was just curious if it would work/why it wouldn't. I assumed it wouldn't because I hadn't seen anyone try to fleece people with it, which given the play "lol oxcart" poo poo gets online, seems like it would have happened.

kalvick posted:

Also.... if you have a solid axle, and just throw all of Maximum Motorsports suspension kits on it, you will get an equally awesome corner carver, with all brand new parts. no donor car required.

:ughh: I don't think anyone would suggest otherwise. In fact, the solid axle would almost certainly handle better in this case.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

I was confused because you asked about the SN95 IRS when the SN95 chassis never had an IRS.

Taking an angle-grinder to the sheetmetal does not a new chassis make. Though usually I refer to the 94-98 as Fox-4 and the 99-04 as SN95, just for the purpose of distinction. Still largely the same car though.

ApathyGifted posted:

Many people still consider the New Edge an SN95. Part of this is because Ford still calls it the SN95 platform.

Was there even a difference in the platform between the original SN95 and New Edge? I thought it was just an exterior redesign.

When Fox-4/SN95 was on the drawing board there were three different 'looks' being considered. 'Jenner', 'Schwarzenegger', and 'Rambo' going from the softest, roundest look in Jenner to the over the top aggressive look of Rambo. The 94-98 was basically a mix of Jenner and Schwarzenegger, the 99-04 is more or less a toned down Rambo.

But yeah, same car. New Edge guys just try to disown the 94-98 cause it was embarrassingly slow in GT trim.

frozenphil posted:

If you make the distinction that the Fox Body is a different generation than the SN95, then you also must acknowledge that the New Edge is a different generation than the SN95.
Are you seriously saying that what basically amounts to a mid-cycle refresh is exactly the same as a total chassis overhaul/redesign? It's more like a half-generation difference, really.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 1, 2010

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

The New Edge differs from the SN95 in the same ways as the Fox Body differs from the SN95.

Saying this doesn't make it true, in fact, it's objectively not true. drat near 60% of the chassis was redesigned for 1994, nothing close to that happened in 1999. Hell, all you have to do is park a 98 next to a 99 to see they're the same drat car. Even Ford itself disagrees with you.

Well we're at it, didn't all the mod motor GT SN95s (96-04) use the T45 transmission and 8.8" rear end? And I'd like to hear more about the huge 98 to 99 changeover from the 3.8 Essex V6 and 4.6 SOHC Mod motor to the 3.8 Essex V6 and 4.6 SOHC mod motor. Yeah, the V6 got split port injection in 99 and the V8 got new heads, but it's a little bit disingenious to claim they changed motors based on that.

Ultimately, it all comes back to this

Q_res posted:

...same car. New Edge guys just try to disown the 94-98 cause it was embarrassingly slow in GT trim.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 1, 2010

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

Engines and suspensions for a Fox Body will bolt up to an SN95 or New Edge car.
I don't think anyone is contesting that. At the end of the day, they're all glorified Fairmont Futuras.

fake edit: I had a big long rear end post written out, but I'm tired of making GBS threads this thread up. Feel free to PM me about it if you want, I guess.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That's the same firing order I've seen before for Coyote. It's also the same firing order as the old Flathead V8,

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

leica posted:

My neighbor has one exactly like that, and I see them once in awhile around here so I don't think they're really that rare.

They're quite rare, actually. Less than 2,500 ASC/Mclaren convertibles were made from '84-'90. And that's including the Capris.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

whiskas posted:

A GT500 starts at $59K

You're about $10K high of the actual GT500 base price.

But yeah, the S197 GT350 has always been a ripoff.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I thought Coyote was 11:1.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The only reason 2.73 exists is so Ford can market a 31mpg Mustang. Which I think is probably not stupid at all.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Spoiler delete was a no cost option on the GT, so I'm sure it's fairly unusual. For what it's worth, I've seen several, but never in bright red.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, SHOs are bonafide mid-to-high 12 second cars with a tune.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Killbot posted:

Weren't there rumors about the (now current) GT500 doing this to the Coyote, and having the engine named Roadrunner? Maybe they'll implement the idea next refresh.

There were rumors, but (I believe) Roadrunner ended up being the Boss 302 version of the 5.0. I believe the internal codename for the next GT500 mill is 'Trinity'.

But there are a ton of rumors on just what the next GT500 engine could be, none I'd place my own money on.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

I'd put dollars to doughnuts that we see a special edition with the BOSS 429 name and a big block modular soon. If not a special edition, maybe even the GT500 itself.

This wouldn't surprise me at all, actually. The latest one I've heard though, is a stroked 5.8L Coyote with a TVS blower. Think, literally, 5.0:4.6::5.8:5.4 not sure how much stock I'm willing to put in that. On the other hand, this is the same person that told me the 5.0 would be 400+ hp back when Motor Trend was still predicting HP in the mid 300s.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

I know for a fact that Ford has a twin turbo 5.0 in a mule car right now; I've seen it with my own two eyes. Last I heard the engineers are trying to find a way to make less than 600hp with it but are having trouble with drivability issues. Apparently they have to use such small turbos to stay efficient with the tiny amount of boost they need to stay under 600hp (4psi or so) that they are getting all 600hp nearly off idle; full boost is hit at something retarded like 2500 RPM. I'm sure they can do tricks like wastegate controllers and such to make it more linear, but at what price point is such an engine viable outside of the top tier?

Basically, I just don't see the market for a twin turbo 5.0 at all. Yeah, it would be cool as gently caress, but I just don't see where it would fit in the market.

Have you heard the same rumors I have, that the next Mustang platform was being designed to accept an AWD system?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

:words:

What really summed it up for me was an article Motor Trend did on a pre-production 2010 Mustang with the handling package Ford was working on at the time. Motor Trend gushed about how well the car handled, how amazed they were with what Ford managed to squeeze out of the solid-axle. Even that it outhandled the Camaro. They then concluded the article by stating they wished Ford would update to an IRS, and offered literally no reasoning for it other than wanting it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

That it has a SRA still.

Yep, could be the best handling, best riding car on the planet and people would still bitch about the live axle. At least, on the internet (and car rags).

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

redscare posted:

Wait I lied, sorry. The Boss sucks, the brakes are slightly spongy and there's too much pedal travel. They're nowhere near as good as those on an Ultimate Driving Machine.

There's a Car and Driver joke in here, but I just can't find it...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

From a purely business standpoint, they'd have to be window-lickingly retarded to do it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I actually kinda want to see Top Gear get their hands on the Boss 302. Also, really happy you can get it in Yellow Blaze Tri-coat. Now I just have to figure out how to make the math work.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

whiskas posted:

I was surprised with the shifter though, it didn't have long throws like I would have expected.

I test drove a 2012 GT Wednesday, and I have to agree. It makes the throws in my Civic Si seem positively long.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The shifter on the new Mustangs is awesome as hell. I mentioned it before, but it makes the shifts in my 07 Civic Si (a shifter that's pretty well regarded) feel long and clunky. The one criticism I would have, is the throws might be a bit too short, but that would be nitpicking. Not criticisms, but I would also note that the clutch is insanely light and the throttle seemed a bit touchy, I had a little trouble easing onto it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

OrganizedEntropy posted:

It seems that the rumor so far is that it's just a 5.8L mod engine.

Guess what Coyote is...

There are significant differences, but it uses the same tooling as the 4.6 mod motor. 5.8 just so happens to be the displacement you'd get if you did a Coyote off the tall-deck 5.4 mod motor.

Also, I seem to recall frozenphil swearing up and down it'd be 6.2 based.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it'll definitely be a tall-deck Coyote. It could be a simple bore and stroke of the 5.4, it could be BOSS-based, there was a planned 5.8L version of the 6.2. I'm not convinced anyone outside Ford actually knows for sure what the 5.8 really is yet.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

The 5.4 is dead. The only vehicle still using it is the GT500. You're going to see the 5.0 Coyote, something based off of the 5.0 Coyote, the 6.2, or something based off of the 6.2 between the GT500's frame rails.

I actually agree, a simple bore and stroke of the 5.4 just isn't gonna happen. The mod motor is dead, and frankly deserves to be. But you wouldn't have to sleeve the block if you did a tall-deck 5.8. It would be based on the Coyote in the same way the 5.4 was based off the 4.6. I would say a BOSS-based 5.8 seems a bit more likely, if for no other reason (and there are other reasons) than the fact that it's had to occur to someone that it's a bit odd to have a Boss V8 that never sees Mustang duty.

Right now, I'm just not willing to bet on either horse. Ford has gotten really good at holding their cards to their chest.

Anyway, on the Ecoboost Mustang thing. I have no doubt we'll see one, but I'd bet on it being the 2.0 Ecoboost 4.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Considering the 6.2 in truck trim doesn't even make more horsepower than a GT, though admittedly a good bit more torque, I doubt a blown 5.8 Boss would have any problems.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That's retarded, nobody gives a poo poo that the 6.2 is bigger than the 5.4 already in the GT500. And I'd bet most people who buy them couldn't even tell you what displacement the engine was off the top of their head. Some sure, but those are exactly the same kind of people who wouldn't care in the first place.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

And where are these mythical people who give a poo poo? Because they're certainly not complaining about the 5.4 vs 6.2. It's bullshit.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Alright, so these people are dumb enough to care that a blown 5.8 is smaller than the 6.2, even though the larger motor is less powerful. But they're smart enough to give the 5.4 a pass because it was there before the 6.2 started production, and not bitch that the 6.2 should be put in there?

You're hilarious, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

CombatWombat posted:

Q_res, why is it so hard for you to understand that most people aren't going to remember the displacement size but they WILL remember "it's the biggest engine Ford makes," and will brag on that to anyone who'll listen?

There's a difference between saying this will happen, and saying it'll piss people off if they can't say it.

EDIT: It started with him complaining the 5.8 wouldn't make enough horsepower, in fact less than the 6.2. When I pointed out that the 6.2 didn't even make more hp than the vanilla trim Coyote, let alone more than a blown 5.8. It suddenly became "not big enough", so...

Q_res fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 18, 2011