Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get why they have that giant linear actuator there.

It's to adjust the shot power, turn the gears to put the spring under more or less compression as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hey Goons I have a thread on SA Mart with some sets for sale (mostly smaller ones), over here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929963

Also, my Haunted House arrived, is anyone interested in it? I'm probably going to send it back for a refund unless someone wants it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Maigius posted:

Would that be a legitimate Great Ball Machine module?

I'd say it definitely could be. You might have to adjust the input and output to get it to line up with neighbouring modules but apart from that it should work fine for GBC.

On a related note, can people post a link or something when they post these things? It's annoying trying to look it up without anything to go on.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
COVID must really be doing a number on LEGO, the ISS I ordered still hasn't shipped after a week :/

I looked at their support pages and I saw something that said current email response time is 2+ weeks

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Maigius posted:

Would that be a legitimate Great Ball Machine module?

Aye, this would be a great GBC module (with some modifications to make it fit the standard)
It would also need to be adjusted and or duplicated so that it reaches the required throughput of 60 balls per minute.

Plastik posted:

Doesn't it really only depend on the throughput? They're definitely allowed to be motorized.

Motorization isn't just "allowed", its more or less required. You could make a GBC module that is just a slide or track for balls to roll down, but that would be fairly boring. It would also require the previous GBC module to output the balls at a high enough elevation for them to be able to roll through the whole module. As the GBC interface states that both the entry and exit points of each module needs to be at a fairly low elevation (at least in my LUG) these 2 modules would essentially be just 1 module.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Call for a DIY IK
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930843

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I only really hang out in this thread in DIY, otherwise I would.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
EDIT: added some of my own photos
Quoting this from a few weeks ago - I bought, received, and have built this now. I kinda wanna talk about it because this particular set has been making some waves in the community since it's kind of its own original thing (as opposed to a knockoff of a LEGO set or somebody's MOC) and brings some stuff to the table that official LEGO sets don't. This is clone brand stuff and I imagine many people won't care, so feel free to skip over this post / mini review then. I don't feel like taking a hundred photos so I'll mainly use stock images, with a few of my own to highlight points.

So the idea behind this was to have a model with a Creator Expert scale and level of detail, but also with more Technic functions and integration than LEGO tends to do. Since this is an off-brand, it's not subject to being part of a specific theme such as Creator Expert / 18+ or Technic, so it's able to dip into both. Most of what it offers is similar to (and heavily "inspired by") the 10265 Ford Mustang: it's about the same size, it has functional steering controlled by a steering wheel in the cabin, it has an opening hood, trunk, and doors (that use the same double hinge mechanism) plus a removable roof, and it has some optional parts you can add or change to customize the car: a new motor, front and side skirts, two different spoilers, and lowered headlights (these are rebuilt; they don't actually go up and down on their own).

What the CADA AE86 adds on top of all of that is rear suspension and the necessary gearing and differential to allow for easy motorization. You can buy the kit either with or without the necessary motors and electronic components to motorize it, but either version is built the same way with the gearing and such - parts of it come off in a simple, modular fashion to allow the motors, battery, and receiver to be installed.

I opted for the non-motorized version so I can't attest to how well it runs, but people say it works quite well - as well as motorizing any other car of this scale, really. The modular bits come off easily and the whole process of converting it to its motorized form takes a couple minutes.

Overall, it accomplishes what it was built to and offers some really cool functionality that official LEGO sets don't. In addition, the parts are quite higher quality than I'm used to from a clone brand, and many of the pieces (especially Technic ones) have their own unique spin on the molding to make them unique and distinct, while still being fully cross compatible with LEGO. Most of the studs have the CADA logo printed on them. The plastic is a thermoplastic that feels almost exactly the same as LEGO. It's actually pretty nice. They are definitely more prone than LEGO to be dirty or have small color swirls, though, and flat surfaces like 2 x 4 tiles came out a bit scratched up. There also appears to be a tiny geometry issue with the curved slopes that makes them just a touch too tall. I'd say it's 85% of the way to being LEGO quality and it's definitely the best of any clone brands I've personally seen.

The rear suspension works really well, by the way, and it super satisfying. It's strong and holds the weight of the car well. The whole unit back there with the differential and motor attachment point is clever and well built. The rear of the body around it is also well reinforced with Technic elements. This integration is super good and is easily the selling point for the whole model.

Also, the car has a couple references to Initial D, despite not being the same car (no sticker on the driver door, different hood, different interior colors) - there are a couple tofu crates in the back, and a trans-blue 1 x 1 round brick that represents a glass of water in the cup holder. In the show, the cup was paper (or maybe styorofoam), so I replaced this with an upside-down white 1 x 1 cone for my own satisfaction.

Okay, so downsides.

This car has no printed parts; all the printed details are added with stickers. The design of the stickers is okay but not great, and the actual quality of the stickers is abysmal. They're thin, too shiny, not exactly the right tones of gray/black/white, and my sticker sheet had imperfect cutting and bubbling under the surface. I decided early on not to use any of them at all, but I walked that back a little and decided to use the license plate stickers - but no others. For some of the other details like the radiator grill, gauge cluster, and door handles, I just brick-built my own custom replacements to avoid using the stickers.

The build feels a little bit incomplete. There are a few sections where, like, it feels like one or two more pieces were needed to make it feel a little more complete. There are a couple places where there are tiny gaps that could have been filled with 1 x 1 plates or tiles, and it's odd that they aren't. Examples include the underside of the rear hatch, the gap in front of the windscreen, and the sides of the center console.

There are some illegal techniques used here also, which LEGO would never allow. For those interested:

1) There are plenty of instances of bricks laying across studs in such a way that induces too much friction / does not sit flush. Examples: the upper part of the front grill sitting on 1 x 4 plates, the taillight assembly sitting on 4 x 6 and 2 x 4 plates, and the C pillars / rear side windows sitting on 1 x 2, 1 x 4, and 2 x 4 plates.
2) The removable part of the roof does not sit perfectly flush because the technique used to create an angled underside to rest against the window is either a little too thick, or a little too far forward.
3) Though they imitated the Mustang's doors, they didn't use rounded pieces to smooth the ends of them like the Mustang did, so the doors don't close super smoothly - they kinda pop into place.
4) Though the steering was copied almost 1:1 from the Mustang, they reinforced it using a piece that actually collides with the teeth of the 40 tooth gear. This causes the teeth to ratchet a bit when turning the steering wheel.
5) There are a couple instances of things not being "indexed" that should and could have been, allowing them to move when they shouldn't, such as the angle of the rear deck and a small bit of the curved lower body behind the doors.
6) There is a piece in the engine compartment, one of the curved pipes with a red 1 x 1 round plate on the end, that cannot sit flush because it wraps around a 1 x 1 round brick that sits a little too high.

Other design criticisms: I'm not a big fan of the B pillars, which are blocky and chunky on the inside and also are not attached to the doors at all. I understand why, since it would make the doors massively harder to open and close, but it leaves the car looking like a colonnade body when the doors are open, which is odd. I'm also really not a fan of the decision to make the rear window transparent while the rear side windows are trans-black. It would have looked way better if all of the windows were trans-black, since having the tinted ones right next to non-tinted really looks jarring. The back of the sides are odd, too, since they sit too high - you can see that the front windows are taller than the rear ones, when that should not be the case - they should both start at the same belt line. The reason the rear ones are smaller is because the AE86 copied the Mustang (again) and used its technique for finishing off the area below the rear side windows, even though it's not appropriate here and too tall. The hood detaches from its hinge plates too easily and should have been reinforced. Finally, I wish the headlights were able to actually pop up and down. You'd think for a car with a Creator Expert level of detail that's willing to include so many Technic elements that mechanical functions like this would be more of a priority. Instead, they dedicated that space to a hood prop.

Conclusion: I found this car from a site that sold it for about $19 USD. For what I paid, I'm happy with it. It does a good job of marrying Technic elements to a Creator Expert / 18+ car in a really satisfying way that I wish LEGO would do more. Unfortunately, every other part of its design is basically copied from the Mustang - the doors, the detachable roof and its shape, the add-on bits, and even major constructions like the entire steering rack and the upper rear quarters. The places where it diverges from the Mustang's design elements aren't better than its inspiration, and it feels at least one iteration away from being complete. There are also no "wow" moments when building the bodywork and details - it's fairly straightforward. The Mustang had some really cool stuff going on with the seats, the gentle angle of the front bumper, and the complex shaping of the rear, and no such moments or techniques are found here. It's hard to say that I'm disappointed necessarily since it's a cool model and I'm in for less than :10bux: :10bux: but it easily could have been better. If the LEGO Creator Expert Mustang didn't exist, I'd give this a B+. Since the Mustang exists and most of this car's best parts were taken from it, I'll give it a C-. I don't think it's the amazing LEGO-killer that some of the more enthusiastic members of the community have claimed.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 30, 2020

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Need to shoehorn in the limited slip diff that youtuber invented.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Edited the above review to add some photos illustrating some stuff I was bothered by, plus my brick built replacements for some stickers.

Also, this GTO caught my attention the other day because it had such a good radiator grill solution, so I stole borrowed the idea and put it on mine, too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
another Mech not of my own design.
Alt-build to Kai’s jet thing 71707

I like robits. My kid has an epic stash of mechs I’ve made (my own and others)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

So the bonus purchase that became available from 1st of July is the "FREE exclusive Creative Fun 12-in-1".

I happened to wake up at 1 AM and decided to check out the Lego store, curious about the price for the MickeyMinney figures and the Croco Loco and upon adding them to my cart i noticed there was no 12-in-1 freebie there.
Kinda odd it got sold out in literally 60 minutes. Very untypical of the region i live in. I assume it is a bug, though the freebie Lambo did get added.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Fetchez la vache!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This is amazingly cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdfUSNzc0Xk

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Well, looks like there's a bricklink order for a whole pile of grey bricks in my near future.

Just the other day I received the instructions for this incredibly dope Omega Destroyer from Babylon 5.
Gotta say, I'm very excited.

Can recommend just on the basis of the quality of the instructions, they're incredibly high quality. At least as good as any official UCS set.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Fuckin magnets

Such a clever solution. I also never thought a Lego build would teach me how hull rigidity affects buoyancy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I assume there are collectors of the big Technic sports cars like the new Lamborghini but how do you display those things? It’s like a tabletop for the three so far.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

So the bonus purchase that became available from 1st of July is the "FREE exclusive Creative Fun 12-in-1".

I happened to wake up at 1 AM and decided to check out the Lego store, curious about the price for the MickeyMinney figures and the Croco Loco and upon adding them to my cart i noticed there was no 12-in-1 freebie there.
Kinda odd it got sold out in literally 60 minutes. Very untypical of the region i live in. I assume it is a bug, though the freebie Lambo did get added.

What region?

I'm in Canada and I'm seeing the 12-in-1 freebie but I don't see anything about a lambo. Also, Crocodile Train is already on back order.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next step is getting lego to see this and make us an all-lego remote controlled submersible.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Carbohydrates posted:

Conclusion: I found this car from a site that sold it for about $19 USD. For what I paid, I'm happy with it. It does a good job of marrying Technic elements to a Creator Expert / 18+ car in a really satisfying way that I wish LEGO would do more. \

Do you mind linking where you got it for $19 USD?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
There’s a new line just announced, “LEGO Art”:

https://brickset.com/article/52230/introducing-lego-art

$120 sets that make 48x48 pictures and include frame parts and wall hanging. Each set has multiple designs (so you can buy them 3 or 4 times to make the full set)

Iron man, Star Wars, the Beatles, and Warhol

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
One art, please!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooh the Warhol is really nice.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

w00tazn posted:

Do you mind linking where you got it for $19 USD?
https://www.hitian.cn/AE86-p454872.html

I used the pricier shipping option. Total cost was $44.58 shipped. Shipping should be less than 20 if you go for the cheaper option iirc. Ship time was about 3 weeks and there was no tracking, nor was there ever any indication it had shipped or any communication at all, so be aware.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh they have the Saturn umbelical tower for 75 bucks. Seems like a good deal for knockoff Lego.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ixnay posted:

There’s a new line just announced, “LEGO Art”:

https://brickset.com/article/52230/introducing-lego-art

brick separator

thicc separator

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I like the combined Iron Man and Vader pieces, but man does putting 9000 round tiles on a plate sound tedious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not sure if I'm really down with the "Art" stuff. Makes me think of Lite Brite.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waiting for the m.c. escher art.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
This is neat, I can’t wait to see what else they release and what people end up making. A Van Gogh self portrait or Starry Night can’t be far behind

E:

xzzy posted:

Waiting for the m.c. escher art.

Buildable recursive staircases when

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I like the combined Iron Man and Vader pieces, but man does putting 9000 round tiles on a plate sound tedious.

Yeah the big ones are neat but are those like... 6-800 dollars to do?

Also this is cool but I think I just like the concept of doing your own. It’s more stylish and unique.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

Also this is cool but I think I just like the concept of doing your own. It’s more stylish and unique.

They got those mosaic makers at flagship stores too, can get one of yourself for around $100. Or any photo you can hold up to the camera I assume!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

This will be a dark year for my wallet...

Oxyclean posted:

What region?

Europe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

One of those but the Signals portraits plz

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh weird, seems you guys get an extra promo US/Canada doesn't on top of the 12-in-1.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
The art line looks cool, especially the big pieces or when you combine all variations. But the price, oof.

And it just being all round pieces, meh.

I think the mosaics will do better, just because of cost.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Feenix posted:

Yeah the big ones are neat but are those like... 6-800 dollars to do?

Waiting for the LEGO goatse mosaic

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At least you don’t have to align the edges on round pieces.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

smackfu posted:

At least you don’t have to align the edges on round pieces.

No, but do you align all the Lego logos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

PriorMarcus posted:

No, but do you align all the Lego logos?

Align them to simulate brush stroke directionality