Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Everyone should complain about it. This thing should have been a GWP. It is very troubling that lego seems to be changing to this gouging method instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm sure some LEGO exec said "why do we keep giving people things for free? let's just get rid of VIP points?"

"People would be upset."

"Ok, let's make people use the VIP points to pay for what we were giving them for free before."

"Brilliant."

In other words, you can expect this to continue.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Hey this VIP points situation sucks and the actual probe kind of sucks too. For anyone who missed out, PLEASE don't pay some scalper dipshit on ebay or BL or whatever. Either source the parts yourself, OR, here's an even better option: a guy on RB has designed a better-looking one that's more detailed and a more accurate scale. Not mine, no affiliation, etc.

free instructions / complete set with pieces

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope all those Ideas GWP ones don’t go this way.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Not sure if these have popped up in here and I totally missed them. My apologizes if so. Saw these at Target

I really like the amusement park ride builds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of castle themes, have any photos of the creator castle leaked yet? I assume they'd have been posted but I've really been anticipating that one.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I am dying laughing at those eBay prices for one ugly VIP set. Really glad I don't care about space stuff right now.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I care, but that probe is not worth the trouble. The one Carbohydrates posted might be, though.

Finished the shuttle and it's amazing. It dwarfs the Saturn V and the play features are a fantastic touch that really elevate it from a simple model. Putting the landing gear down is a swift and clever operation that produces a loud *clack* and I'm happy to report the flying brick successfully touched down on the table runway, rolling with the airbrakes deployed until coming to a complete stop. And you can display it like that or with the stand in a cool pose or even with the telescope being deployed by the Canadarm and the cockpit is filled with gizmos and consoles and :allears:

On the cons side, the windshield piece is pretty crummy. It's passable at a distance, but the closer you get, the worse it looks. The pure-white stickers that clash with the warm white of the vehicle itself are also complete amateur hour. Turns out it's the same hue as the Saturn, BTW, good to know mine hasn't yellowed after all!

All in all, a mixed bag. The builds, the features and the manual are all top-notch and it's a joy to have these fine machines displayed along with the other ones, so no regrets! Still, more than a few white pieces' coloring is imperfect, the silver radiator stickers are fine but the others are just bad and the windshield clearly deserved another pass or two before entering production considering it's prominence. At 179€, those flaws are hard to excuse and... I'm still buying the ISS and Lunar Lander next for sure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So was this Ulysses set a "one and done and will never be offered again" thing or will they make more?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Windshields and wheel wells have been lego kryptonite for a long time.

Situation was better in the 80's/90's when cars were four studs wide and we didn't know better. But now? Every vehicle demands a custom solution!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I really liked the build on the Hubble so I’m glad that I got the probe. The Hubble is on its own display, I’ll use the probe to display the cargo bay on the shuttle

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So was this Ulysses set a "one and done and will never be offered again" thing or will they make more?

Probably one and done, but sometimes these things come back.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Scipiotik posted:

Probably one and done, but sometimes these things come back.

Sweet, then I've got a really nice Christmas present lined up for a guy I know who is really into space-themed Legos.

I don't give a poo poo what it's selling for on eBay now or eight months from now. :shrug:

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

Speaking of castle themes, have any photos of the creator castle leaked yet? I assume they'd have been posted but I've really been anticipating that one.

Supposedly it’s this

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL2SiLCJQDs/?igshid=120rv9jo7wbrt

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

No, that's 10039 which is apparently a set from TYOOL 2002, but looks like something from 1982.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was completely unaware the lego leak market was sufficiently competitive that people farm upvotes with faked images.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

No, that's 10039 which is apparently a set from TYOOL 2002, but looks like something from 1982.

10039 was a rerelease of a set from 1986.

According to the video it's meant to be heavily inspired by those sets. Not uncommon for videos about leaks to use images of similar sets.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I was able to get the Ulysses (and picked up the Disney castle for 2x VIP points that my wife and I had been waffling over for a while now). It was a clusterfuck. Lego has got to get better at the web to pull stunts like that successfully.

EDIT: it’s like they employ Radium or something.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 15, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Even I have no loving clue how I got it. The direct link provided earlier didn't work for me, I just saw it listed with "redeem" underneath and jumped on it.

The only way I knew the order went through is that I put it on my debit card and it texts me after every withdrawal, transaction, or credit.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm really goddamned annoyed with Lego for all the crap lately. First when they put up the Space Shuttle on the first, the website crashes so hard that by the time I can get an order in, it had refreshed and I'd lost the two gifts with purchase. I didn't even realize that until it arrived, which was 4 days after a friend who had ordered theirs two days after I did had received theirs in the mail, and they didn't have to fight the website for half an hour to also get no GWP's. And then they do the surprise double VIP points. And then the Odyssey clusterfuck. But at the end of the day, what the gently caress can we do about it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

New Harry Potter stuff has leaked.

The new Hogwarts set isn't really compatible with the most recent sets and is more reminiscent of the older, multi-level design with the grey rock level and the green rooves.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

New Harry Potter stuff has leaked.

The new Hogwarts set isn't really compatible with the most recent sets and is more reminiscent of the older, multi-level design with the grey rock level and the green rooves.

Bit strange that they would spin out a new "system" of modularity with the new sets. I guess its because they are "20th anniversary " ones and supposed to be reminiscent of the old sets. The Chamber of Secrets set does look excellent though and having held off from Harry Potter stuff for so long I am beginning to be quite interested in getting some to make a large castle. I love the all the tan walls they have, but am less enthusiastic about the green roof.

Does anyone else think all these random ~ experiments~ Lego are doing with exclusive / random "bonuses" is getting a bit silly. These sets have an exclusive "collectible" gold figure and then a load of random tiles? The Star Wars sets had old yellow guys for their "anniversary". It all feels quite confused.

If you don't care about these exclusive collectable figures they can be worth selling. My "Golden Wu" from the Gardens of Ninjago City sold for £45 on Ebay, which is nearly a 20 % discount on the set.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Bit strange that they would spin out a new "system" of modularity with the new sets. I guess its because they are "20th anniversary " ones and supposed to be reminiscent of the old sets. The Chamber of Secrets set does look excellent though and having held off from Harry Potter stuff for so long I am beginning to be quite interested in getting some to make a large castle. I love the all the tan walls they have, but am less enthusiastic about the green roof.

I guess it helps that the older minifig-scale Hogwarts was close to complete. It's missing the Bell Towers from Deathly Hallows but those aren't a particularly distinctive location compared to the others.

EDIT:

From Stonewars

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 15, 2021

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The Gilderoy Lockheart stickers everywhere are hilarious

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

mitochondritom posted:

My "Golden Wu" from the Gardens of Ninjago City sold for £45 on Ebay, which is nearly a 20 % discount on the set.

I’ve never sold LEGO before but a quick payday for unloading something I don’t really appreciate fully sure is tempting.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

mitochondritom posted:

Bit strange that they would spin out a new "system" of modularity with the new sets.

You mean as opposed to having a whole new (incompatible) power functions system every couple of years?

I hate to say it, but I think Lego is a bit confused as a company in general these days in more ways that one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I say we hang all this on their new CEO who came on board a few years ago. Only bad stuff has happened since then.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I guess it helps that the older minifig-scale Hogwarts was close to complete. It's missing the Bell Towers from Deathly Hallows but those aren't a particularly distinctive location compared to the others.

EDIT:

From Stonewars

Man I came so close to buying all the Hogwarts stuff from these past few years a couple of times and I'm so glad I held off, this actually looks like a bit of a step up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best hogwarts is the microscale one anyways. :colbert:

I'm not even a huge harry potter fan but I loving love that set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

xzzy posted:

The best hogwarts is the microscale one anyways. :colbert:

I'm not even a huge harry potter fan but I loving love that set.

You can be a fan of huge Harry Potter soon!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 15, 2021

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Getting my breaker panel replaced today. Mrs. Doctor is off with the kids to a place with Wi-Fi for school sessions, we're both on PTO. Let's see how far I get today.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Nice haul.

The_Doctor posted:

OK, that's pretty cool.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

The execution of this actually looks fantastic, but I don't really "get" it. Well done?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
"It's that thing you love, but bigger." People love stuff like that, especially kids.

I'm not gonna buy it, but I think the design is well done. Plus it's something new.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, Fawkes too. He’s another flappy bird like Hedwig.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

deoju posted:

Nice haul.

Thanks!
Progress update: managed to get the 3 little sets finished before lunch arrived.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

seravid posted:

I care, but that probe is not worth the trouble. The one Carbohydrates posted might be, though.

Finished the shuttle and it's amazing. It dwarfs the Saturn V and the play features are a fantastic touch that really elevate it from a simple model. Putting the landing gear down is a swift and clever operation that produces a loud *clack* and I'm happy to report the flying brick successfully touched down on the table runway, rolling with the airbrakes deployed until coming to a complete stop. And you can display it like that or with the stand in a cool pose or even with the telescope being deployed by the Canadarm and the cockpit is filled with gizmos and consoles and :allears:

On the cons side, the windshield piece is pretty crummy. It's passable at a distance, but the closer you get, the worse it looks. The pure-white stickers that clash with the warm white of the vehicle itself are also complete amateur hour. Turns out it's the same hue as the Saturn, BTW, good to know mine hasn't yellowed after all!

All in all, a mixed bag. The builds, the features and the manual are all top-notch and it's a joy to have these fine machines displayed along with the other ones, so no regrets! Still, more than a few white pieces' coloring is imperfect, the silver radiator stickers are fine but the others are just bad and the windshield clearly deserved another pass or two before entering production considering it's prominence. At 179€, those flaws are hard to excuse and... I'm still buying the ISS and Lunar Lander next for sure.

Yeah ruined by stickers. If they didn't include the hubble with all those chromed bricks they could have afforded to do it properly with printed bricks probably.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like this could've been better. The head looks meh. The beak seems small and those weird teeth just look like misplaced teeth to me. Aren't the feathers on the head supposed to be bigger?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My HP fan housemate isn’t happy with it either. He wanted more of a static ‘just quietly sitting on his perch’ Fawkes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly I think it's a nice build, but it feels underwhelming after the Hedwig that seems to have had the same mechanism. Kinda like the new Carnage and Venom, which are basically the same build. Not a fan of these super recycled ideas. EDIT: the more I look at it, the more it's just "Hedwig, but messier."

Bun stream tonight - they'll be roasting y'all's favorite sets! 7PM CST, and I'll be hosting it on my own channel as well.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 16, 2021