Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I caved and bought Emerald Night. I have no use for it and nowhere to put it but holy poo poo it's a pretty sweet build and it's VERY impressive to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sham I Am posted:

I am curious as to how much you guys tend to spend on this hobby a year?

My Peeron list says I have $4291 in MSRP sets. Before 2008, I probably had fewer than $200 in sets from my childhood. I tend to buy sets on sale (so the $420 Peeron thinks I spent on EXT Alien Infiltrators is probably closer to $200), but I've also bought a lot of large cups at pick-a-brick.
And, frankly, I don't really want to know how much money I'm spending. :)

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Ika posted:

I wish they were out here :(

me too. definitely my next big purchase. The power functions and the linear actuators would all but complete my robotics needs. Just need the pneumatics, after I've picked that up.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
Just a note for anyone in the UK that The Mirror is giving away free Lego sets all this week.

I think it is all Toy Story 3 too.
Today's was a Buzz figure and a little space ship. Not bad at all for the price, even if the paper itself is poo poo.

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn
Do employees ever look at you guys strangely for buying like $5000 worth of legos? Of course I imagine it happens all the time...

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
You know, I wonder how the LEGO people reacted to James May purchasing over 3.3 million bricks to build his LEGO house.

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard

Sham I Am posted:

I am curious as to how much you guys tend to spend on this hobby a year?

Thank god for LDD. I have about $40 worth of bricks, and I just digitize, destroy, and build something new. Also wanted to share my hardsuit and bike:

Ingraman fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 18, 2010

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Tom Ripley posted:

Do employees ever look at you guys strangely for buying like $5000 worth of legos? Of course I imagine it happens all the time...

...nobody actually does that in a single trip, do they?

I did have a discussion with a clerk one time about the guy that had been ahead of me in line. He had been trying to save up enough VIP points to get a 10188 Death Star, so he had been in the store every week for months buying random sets he didn't even actually want. "That way, he gets the death star for free :rolleyes:."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I usually get an odd look when they ask if I want it giftwrapped and I say no, especially from the younger clerks. A 22 year old student buying LEGO for himself in this small city is a rare thing indeed.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Just to let everyone know: Fred Meyer appears to be clearancing some Lego sets. They're not 'official' clearance, but 60% off is pretty drat close. Thunder Drillers for $12, Hyperspeed Pursuit for $20, Freeze Ray Frenzy and Gold Tooth Getaway for $6, some Bionicle and Duplo...and a bunch of other stuff around 30% off (like the Raid VPR, Ben 10, and other stuff). I picked up two Hyperspeed Pursuits ($50 sets), two Thunder Drillers ($30 sets), VPR ($10), 2 Fire Blasters ($10), a Goldtooth Getaway ($10), and Freeze Ray Frenzy ($10). $210 MSRP, got it for $107 after tax.

afflictionwisp posted:

...nobody actually does that in a single trip, do they?

I did have a discussion with a clerk one time about the guy that had been ahead of me in line. He had been trying to save up enough VIP points to get a 10188 Death Star, so he had been in the store every week for months buying random sets he didn't even actually want. "That way, he gets the death star for free :rolleyes:."

That guy's an idiot. 10188's $400, which I'm fairly sure would take at -least- $4,000 in purchases to get, assuming it doesn't go on clearance (and the second it does, minifig scalpers are going to buy up every last one). I'm not even sure the Lego VIP system is a 10% rewards system...it might only be 5%.
Still, it's hard to consider any Lego set one you 'don't want' if you're pretty much getting it for the pieces.

Taeke posted:

I usually get an odd look when they ask if I want it giftwrapped and I say no, especially from the younger clerks. A 22 year old student buying LEGO for himself in this small city is a rare thing indeed.

In the last thread, I think someone mentioned a Lego store clerk asking a lone adult if they were buying for a child got chewed out by another clerk.
Anyone who works at a toy store should know better in this day and age.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Taeke posted:

I really don't see how you could get an odd look from this. I never get anything gift wrapped at a store

Really Big Shoe
Sep 11, 2001

HEY HOW DID THIS SHOE GET ON MY LAP ITS SO BIG OH GOD SEND HELP

Pyroclastic posted:

In the last thread, I think someone mentioned a Lego store clerk asking a lone adult if they were buying for a child got chewed out by another clerk.

Well, the LEGO store guidelines say that we should ask every customer who the gift is for. Not necessarily ask them if it is for a kid, but simply who the gift is going to. If it is to themselves, then they are buying a gift for their self!

Also yeah, it is 5 dollars back for every 100 spent. The death star guy is screwed!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I have all these legos of various sets and such and.. I suck at building stuff! I sat down with a small tub of legos just going through them and seeing what I can do, and nothing was really clicking.

Help me goons, how did you learn to lego?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Ularg posted:

I have all these legos of various sets and such and.. I suck at building stuff! I sat down with a small tub of legos just going through them and seeing what I can do, and nothing was really clicking.

You don't really "learn" Lego. There were a few primers in the new OP I think, but the way I do it is just start playing around with parts until something neat occurs.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Pyroclastic posted:

That was me. It was kind of entertaining.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Is there somewhere where I can buy a cheap, cool set that I can sit on my desk?
Like a train robbery or something?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Factory posted:

Is there somewhere where I can buy a cheap, cool set that I can sit on my desk?
Like a train robbery or something?
The Toy Story Army Guys are pretty cool and less than $10.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

I can go 35-50$

The Army guys aren't doing it for me.

Thanks though.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Cool poo poo to sit on your desk? The architecture series comes to mind:

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=627&d=70

All except Fallingwater are $50 or less

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Ularg posted:

I got back into it by copying a few designs I saw online. That meant I had to buy some new parts, but it also helped familiarize me with the parts that had come out since I'd stopped buying Lego. I also started picking up some more advanced building techniques that way.

I've also found that making models is another way to approach it, if you like making models. If you're trying to model a real prototype, you have to learn new ways to do things. Not to say making original MOCs doesn't require innovation, just that I think model making forces you in new directions you might not otherwise go in.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Ularg posted:

I used to be really creative as a kid playing with Lego, nowadays not so much.

The best way I've found to spark creativity is to go through https://www.brickset.com and find a set you want to model one after. Then try to re-build the set but with your own touches, improvements, and designs. I've "reimagined" several official sets in the past year.

Another idea is the Eurobricks forum contests. Find a sub-forum that you enjoy, such as pirates, city, or space, and read the stickied contest threads. Even if you don't want to participate, or the contest is over, the guidelines give you some ground rules to follow. For instance, a small category might be 8x8 studs and you can only build within those confines. Sometimes defining some boundaries can help spark creativity because our adult minds are so used to boundaries that our child minds didn't have.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
What's the thread consensus on LeoCAD? It has a pretty extensive part library, comparable to LDraw's, but in my experience LeoCAD is much more user-friendly.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I've received my 17kg of lego, I went a little overboard there...

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Gotta wash them and then start sorting..

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Le0 posted:

I've received my 17kg of lego, I went a little overboard there...

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Gotta wash them and then start sorting..

Just make sure to sort them all in one go. We'll see you in six months.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Finally got a decent amount of organization and display going in my office...figured I'd share my collection with you guys.

Modular Houses

Mostly fantasy era castle with a few classic sets hidden in the mix.

Pirates II

The rest of my built sets...I'm slowly reassembling the sets from my childhood and filling in the bottom shelves.

Finally got everything sorted into roughly 200 bins...by far the best thing I've done with regard to easing the reassembly process. Took about a week.

Brickset has the collection at a little over $6000 retail, 68,000 bricks, and 516 minifigs :)

I've got close-ups of the sets on the shelves if anybody's interested in seeing what's in there.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Factory posted:

I can go 35-50$

Thanks though.
What kind of thing are you looking for? I know you said train robbery, but Lego doesn't really do "aggressive play". That's why so many of us go to Brickarms for firearms and such -- Lego just doesn't offer those kind of options.

So, you're stuck with either a really cool display piece, like the Lego Ferrari Scuderia Truck, which you might be able to get used in your price range, or something out of the licensed line that includes "untraditional" weaponry, like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Harry Potter.

Or, you gotta make your own.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I suggest doing a diorama of your own design. This way you'll get a lot more fun out of it, as well as something you can really be proud of when your colleagues ask you how you got it. :)

If you can get your hands on some zombies, a magician, maybe a robot, and the jester from the Castles set (or is it Kingdoms? I always mix those two up), you could make a nice little horror circus setting. Add a crocodile, some monkeys, bats and dragons and the like, and it could be horribly magical. :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Oh wow this new thread title is way better. Nicely done.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Mascot posted:

I've got close-ups of the sets on the shelves if anybody's interested in seeing what's in there.

Definitely, and you have the two sets (one current, one old) that I want more than anything else (Imperial Flagship, Deep Freeze Defender).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mascot posted:

These drawers are good and bad. Good because they're decent sized, there's lots of them, and the whole thing is cheap at like 15 bucks. Bad because the drawers have tabs to keep them from falling out, and if you overfill a drawer, good luck getting that fucker open again as poo poo will jam behind the tab.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Excellent new thread title :cool:

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Factory posted:

I can go 35-50$

Thanks though.

Guys, guys.... http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8080&cn=616&d=70
transforming sub mech, come onnnn

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

These drawers are good and bad. Good because they're decent sized, there's lots of them, and the whole thing is cheap at like 15 bucks. Bad because the drawers have tabs to keep them from falling out, and if you overfill a drawer, good luck getting that fucker open again as poo poo will jam behind the tab.

Believe me...it didn't take long to figure that out, but I had already bought 5 of the units when they were on sale at Home Depot. Luckily, these are all open-backed, so you can manipulate the stuck bricks that way when they're being stubborn.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Guys, guys.... http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8080&cn=616&d=70
transforming sub mech, come onnnn

As cool as this set is, I was still a little disappointed once I got it built. The transformation is a little weak as everything just kinda jumbles up behind the body, and it desperately needs knee articulation.

Mascot fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 19, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

What's the thread consensus on LeoCAD? It has a pretty extensive part library, comparable to LDraw's, but in my experience LeoCAD is much more user-friendly.
I missed this! I like LeoCAD quite a bit because I prefer the way it controls over MLCAD. The parts selection is identical to MLCAD because they both use LDraw to generate the library. Once you've figured out how it calculates distance, you can place pieces with incredible precision.

Downsides: No auto-snap / auto-connect, so if all you've used is LDD, it'll be a bit of a bitch to handle. Pretty limited color palate, too.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

toochilled posted:

I also picked up the Spanish Armada Flagship.
I can honestly say I had never seen it before, had no idea it existed but it is soooo pretty. I'm looking forward to building it later.

(image hosting my own)

It's very pretty, but awfully small. When I started making my airship I had to order a second hull section just to have room to build.

As for modding or aftermarket pieces, I can understand the objection to using them for structural purposes, but I have no problem using them for minifigs and accessories, because I think they really benefit from that personalization. The one thing I do the most (besides painting) is making cloth capes and robes in colors or shapes that LEGO doesn't. Figuring out how to do arm holes was a worthwhile pain.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Just hit the local thrift store, got a few lego things including a sealed in box Quatro set. *5476*

I also got 2 mini sets with Shell gas logo's on em, numbers 2542 and 2540.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Got inspired by the hardsuits and mechs on the last few pages of the old thread and figured I'd give it a try. It's my first attempt at anything like this, and I know I've got all kinds of different greys in there, but let me know what you think.

Fullsize

Fullsize

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Mascot posted:

Got inspired by the hardsuits and mechs on the last few pages of the old thread and figured I'd give it a try. It's my first attempt at anything like this, and I know I've got all kinds of different greys in there, but let me know what you think.

Fullsize

Fullsize

Honestly, I don't often go in for mecha, but I really love this thing. The wheel wells around the cockpit and those canopies for feet are my favorite details. It has balance and a real feeling of weight to it.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Mascot posted:

Fullsize

Fullsize

My god, this is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Mascot posted:

BIG MECHS.

Those are pretty awesome. What are the trapezoid/cockpit shaped pieces on the top of the feet from?