Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Are the second wave Star Wars sets in Lego stores yet? If I'm going to be paying retail for them, I might as well buy them where I get VIP points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I really need to get a better storage system for my bricks. Currently they are inhabiting containers with a volume of ~300 gallons, completely unsorted. I've come up with the idea of building a table with drawers under it in which to store the pieces, now I just need to put my plan into action.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Build the table out of the lego.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Factory posted:

Build the table out of the lego.

I'm not James May.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Scipiotik posted:

I'm not James May.

You could be the next James May.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are the second wave Star Wars sets in Lego stores yet? If I'm going to be paying retail for them, I might as well buy them where I get VIP points.

I was just at the one in Woodfield Mall (Schaumburg, IL) on Tuesday and I didn't see any.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

LarryCsonka posted:

Just got back from Toys R Us...

I am pretty excited. First set I have gotten in 10 years

I picked this up at TRU the other day as well.

I'm giddy.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I got my Fort Legoredo and Sheriff's Lock-Up in the mail to compliment Gold City Junction and I've got all the parts ordered to build my saloon (wow I chose a really loving expensive color palate). Sweet Western layout, here I come!

edit: Reddish brown, tan, black, dark brown, dark green, dark orange, dark red. That got reeeaaally expensive really fast.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 22, 2010

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Is TRU's buy one, get one 50% off deal on Lego a fairly regular occurrence or was it a one off? Trying to decide if I should wait for my next Lego spree or just load up now.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

PopeOnARope posted:

You could be the next James May.

I wish that were true, but it just isn't.

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag
So, I did a lot of building on LDD/MLCAD and I've finished fleshing out a huge modular castle made up of many smaller sub-sections.

The problem is that I have nowhere near enough pieces to build it for reals, but I'd like to see it done if someone else has the parts. I'll be uploading the instructions to BrickShelf (user name lego-yeg), and also the parts lists for each sub-section. Which is easier to follow: a parts list that lists the parts used in each step of the instructions, or a parts list that just lists total parts used during construction?

I would gladly post pictures, but I do not know how to on this site.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Does anyone remember or have a list or something that shows when the new Slave 1 is coming out? I want to say it was July or August sometime, but it was awhile ago we first heard about it so I can't be sure.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

ThalidomEid posted:

So, I did a lot of building on LDD/MLCAD and I've finished fleshing out a huge modular castle made up of many smaller sub-sections.

The problem is that I have nowhere near enough pieces to build it for reals, but I'd like to see it done if someone else has the parts. I'll be uploading the instructions to BrickShelf (user name lego-yeg), and also the parts lists for each sub-section. Which is easier to follow: a parts list that lists the parts used in each step of the instructions, or a parts list that just lists total parts used during construction?

I would gladly post pictures, but I do not know how to on this site.

Upload them to Waffleimages if you must. And listing the parts by module would probably be most useful for people who want to take parts of your design.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

BrainWeasel posted:

Upload them to Waffleimages if you must. And listing the parts by module would probably be most useful for people who want to take parts of your design.
Assuming they already have the necessary parts, of course. Otherwise, a master parts list would probably be for the best.

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag
Wow, BrainWeasel, thanks! This waffleimages stuff ain't so tough after all.

Castle with two Corner Towers, two Wall Towers, six Wall Sections, and a Main Gate

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

5-story Corner Tower. Stone plates on lower level come off, and walls on the fourth level swing out to enhance playability.

Main Gate. Consists of an inner and outer gate supported by three-story towers. Gates swing out, rendering battering rams useless. Also, grates and hatches allow the defenders to assault the attacking force in between outer and inner gates.

Wall Sections. These are the most customizable. Lower section can be solid or have a man-sized version of the main gate. Middle section can be plain or a bit more decorated. Upper section has an assortment of torches, spears, and arrows, plus long sticks for pushing away attackers' ladders. (This is the first section I made, so it has the most decoration and details. After a while, I got sick of trying to painstakingly place weapons, flags, and multi-part torches in LDD, so I just said gently caress it.)

Wall Tower is four stories tall with removable plates on bottom level and a swing-out rear wall on third level to enhance interior access.

One of the things I really like about this design is that all levels are accessible by ladder or stairs from within the castle itself. Also, I've used brown (wood) rather than grey (stone) wherever possible on the interior for floor/ceilings.

BrainWeasel posted:

listing the parts by module would probably be most useful for people who want to take parts of your design

Carbohydrates posted:

a master parts list would probably be for the best

There's really no 'master' parts list, since the builder can have as many or as few sections as he wants, but I'll put up the parts list by module, and not worry about parts per step.

I was able to upload some of my instructions to BrickShelf, but not all. If anyone wants my .zip's of instructions and parts lists, or the .ldd's themselves, let me know.

ThalidomEid fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 23, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Catsworth posted:

Does anyone remember or have a list or something that shows when the new Slave 1 is coming out? I want to say it was July or August sometime, but it was awhile ago we first heard about it so I can't be sure.

As I mentioned earlier, it's already out. My local TRU had it on the shelves a week ago.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

ThalidomEid posted:

Wall Sections. These are the most customizable. Lower section can be solid or have a man-sized version of the main gate. Middle section can be plain or a bit more decorated. Upper section has an assortment of torches, spears, and arrows, plus long sticks for pushing away attackers' ladders. (This is the first section I made, so it has the most decoration and details. After a while, I got sick of trying to painstakingly place weapons, flags, and multi-part torches in LDD, so I just said gently caress it.)

That's a clever use of those big roof pieces. Thanks for sharing this.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
If anyone's interested, TRU is doing a 2-day buy 1 get 1 50% off sale today and tomorrow on Duplo, Atlantis, City and Prince of Persia stuff:

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=10718lego&origkw=10718lego&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Someone snuck an S into the thread title. I was actually thinking of adding some reference to the legos/LEGO thing in the OP but decided that that was a terrible idea.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Catsworth posted:

I saw it in a UK Lego store the other day.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
According to Eurobricks wave 2 of the minifigures are turning up in stores

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44459

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
hahahahaha i just noticed the slightly tweaked thread title

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

3 posted:

hahahahaha i just noticed the slightly tweaked thread title

Those mods are sneaky bastards.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
So here's what that's all about by the way

The LEGO Group posted:

Using the LEGO brand name

Please help us to protect our brand name:
• The LEGO brand name should always be written in capital letters
• LEGO must never be used as a generic term or in the plural or as a
possessive pronoun, e.g. “LEGO’s”.
• When the LEGO brand name is used as part of a noun, it must never
appear on its own. It should always be accompanied by a noun. For ex
ample, LEGO set, LEGO products, LEGO Group, LEGO play materials,
LEGO bricks, LEGO universe, etc.
• The first time the LEGO brand name appears it must be accompanied
by the Registered symbol ®.
Thank you for helping us!
As you know, pretty much everyone in the world except hardcore fans call 'em "legos," which bothers companies like The LEGO Group because it turns their brand name into a generic term that can refer to clone brands and imitators, kind of how like any brand of paper tissue is called a Kleenex.

HOWEVER there's no good reason for anyone to really give a gently caress unless they're representing the company officially so call 'em what you want, it's really not a big deal and it's silly to get upset about. It's also one of the very worst derails that pops up in SA LEGO threads because it's completely pointless.

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn
Today I shall play with my LEGO brand building blocks!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
When I see 'LEGOS' it makes me think it's some operating system with a really narrow user base, maybe for people with prosthetics. "I had to upgrade my LEG-OS from version 2 to 2.1, now my arm doesn't smoke and I can send email!"

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Carbohydrates posted:

As you know, pretty much everyone in the world except hardcore fans call 'em "legos,"

Really? I thought it was another Americanism. I've never heard anyone say Legos.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

More than once in my childhood, I found myself looking at megablocks and saying "What the gently caress, these aren't LEGOs." I'm not sure they run the risk of Kleenex-level overfamiliarity, because their product actually is so much better.

Anytime my brother and I found a megablock in our pile of LEGOs we'd pop that sucker between the teeth and give it a good squeeze; the inferior plastic would crumble readily. A true, humble 1x1 LEGO block on the other hand can take an enormous amount of molar gnawing before it finally becomes unusable. :colbert:

It'd suck if they didn't hold up so well, because teeth are the best brick separator known to man

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

but then you have all those dents in your LEGO

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Chronojam posted:

It'd suck if they didn't hold up so well, because teeth are the best brick separator known to man

There is only one true brick separator.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=630-1

And buy two.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Evek posted:

There is only one true brick separator.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=630-1

And buy two.

My friend bought two more of those, and one of them doesn't work properly. The lip that is on the bottom at the far right in the photo in that link is too long, so it can't mate up properly with the brick you are trying to separate. We'll need to file it down a little to get it to work.
If you bought that one as your first ever removal tool you'd think they were utter poo poo.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
The only time I've ever needed to use the brick separator was when I had to pull a bunch of 1x2 plates off my 64x64 grey baseplate. I don't even know if I could find it again in my stash if I tried :sigh:

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean

Hope it's not some cruel joke by someone at SDCC.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Virar posted:

A LEGO black pearl would kick all sorts of rear end.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Virar posted:

I dunno, looks kinda like modeling clay and decals.

e: speaking of which, if anyone could recommend a good decal printer I'd really appreciate it.

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 24, 2010

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

BrainWeasel posted:

If you look closely you can see that they just painted over the Prince of Persia's face.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

BrainWeasel posted:

Every prototype LEGO shows for new molds looks like that. The PoP stuff certainly did, with the ostriches looking particularly rough. I'd say we're almost definitely getting LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Virar posted:

7pcs. Expected release date December 2010, MSRP $49.99.

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.

Flavor Bear posted:

7pcs. Expected release date December 2010, MSRP $49.99.

That's 6 more pieces than if Mega Bloks made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Muppetjedi posted:

According to Eurobricks wave 2 of the minifigures are turning up in stores

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44459

What the gently caress, when are they supposed to be getting released? I want to order some but won't have the money until some of my stuff sells in a few weeks. :ohdear: