Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Either way it's gonna be a good tan parts source. Millions of 1x2 bricks with the brick pattern, cheese wedges, and 1x3 arches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A Bad Poster posted:

You guys seem to have forgotten when Lego was selling blind box Bionicle masks 20 years ago.
still have a big box of all of mine. pretty sure I've still got some of the misprint Turaga masks too. They're actually extremely useful in MOCs.

also had this until relatively recently, over the course of like a decade I sold'em all for a couple bucks a pop

if I had had more money I would have bought more, it was literally "fill a Legoland California bag with any pieces you want for 25 bucks" and one of the giant bins was entirely Trans-Neon Green Mirus, a promo bionicle mask exclusive to Legoland California. I got $100 worth of bags of them and I am pretty sure made like $4000 over the course of selling them all off.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

smackfu posted:

Back to the Coliseum rumors, I think the current half ruined real version would make for an interesting set, with a lot less of the repetition that drives people mad about Architecture sets.

That would be incredible if they released a Coliseum overrun by exotic plants, as it was in the late 1800s

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Blue Moonlight posted:

In a year they’ll release a second version with a second pack-in game included! Now you’re playing with power!

If they added in a Duck Hunt scene and a zapper controller and kept the price the same I'd probably buy it honestly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I really think that LEGO hosed up by not making the Mario figure a separate purchase. My friend got the Starter Course for me because he knew I got the NES and I wanted that Mario for the interactivity feature. But now I have the Starter Course just sitting around in pieces (because it's not stable enough to hold together if you move it when you make your own course) and I really don't care about all this bullshit that doesn't make an iconic Mario locale.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

ChesterJT posted:

If they added in a Duck Hunt scene and a zapper controller and kept the price the same I'd probably buy it honestly.

But should the zapper be orange/light gray or the classic dark gray/light gray?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Why not both?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Double points may have dried up.

From what I can see, going back a couple years or so we had them August, October, December, March, July, October, December, March, July, October, December, March and nothing since. Last two years they did July, the year before was August. So maybe we will get them soon.

E: went back a little further and in 2015 they seemed to happen a bit more often. But Oct/Dec/Mar seem consistent every year. It's just this year we seem to have skipped summer points. Probably covid related.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 12, 2020

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Waltzing Along posted:

Double points may have dried up.

From what I can see, going back a couple years or so we had them August, October, December, March, July, October, December, March, July, October, December, March and nothing since. Last two years they did July, the year before was August. So maybe we will get them soon.

E: went back a little further and in 2015 they seemed to happen a bit more often. But Oct/Dec/Mar seem consistent every year. It's just this year we seem to have skipped summer points. Probably covid related.

Covid for sure, don't need promos when you can't keep up with demand. They also seem to favor the targeted double points on higher price sets that might not be selling well.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Scipiotik posted:

don't need promos when you can't keep up with demand.
Boy I wish people would remember this concept more when they ask me if we're doing a happy hour on a busy Saturday night.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Anyone have advice for where to jump into mindstorms for a kid that knows how to program (golang preferred) can build technic/large Lego sets and wants to build a robot clothes folder? The alternative is learning to fab, and doing something with raspberry/arduino which we’ve poked at some with a breadboard, but the kiddo is still a bit young for soldering/welding/lathes. Given we already have a ton of Lego and are in it for the long haul, adding more to that stash seems ok assuming it won’t go obsolete immediately.

Mostly I’m looking for some clue what the Lego roadmap for programmable stuff for schools looks like for the next decade if some goon has a feel for it. Ev3 education vs spike prime is a mess to navigate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lego just announced a new mind storms type thing with native python support.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This is pretty awesome:

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1293503048388575232

I assume LEGO price/arm is cheaper than a real prosthetic :v:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

japtor posted:

This is pretty awesome:

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1293503048388575232

I assume LEGO price/arm is cheaper than a real prosthetic :v:

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Doesn't matter how much if instead of just giving the finger to someone who's pissed me off I'm giving them the trans orange chainsaw finger :black101:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

EvilJoven posted:

Doesn't matter how much if instead of just giving the finger to someone who's pissed me off I'm giving them the trans orange chainsaw finger :black101:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So, I got my NES set today, and have to say that at least while it was in a super lovely package, the actual box only had minor damage, and I'm not a super collector so it was fine by me. I have only gotten through the first 5 bags, and am way out of date on modern LEGO stuff, but the little mechanism used for the cartridge tray is super neat! I love how that was implemented.

Super excited to finish the rest of this set. I'll also say to the goon who posted the ridiculous collection of the old space sets....you made 9 year old me insanely jealous.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm going to sell a bunch of Architecture sets. Many are still new. If there are any you are looking for, I might have it.

I know I don't have Marina Bay Sands, That big Red house or the Korean Temple. I think it is Korean. I have most of the others from 2019 and earlier.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way
I figured the medical world's stupid expensive pricing would likely outdo LEGO's merely normal expensive pricing.

ROJO posted:

Super excited to finish the rest of this set. I'll also say to the goon who posted the ridiculous collection of the old space sets....you made 9 year old me insanely jealous.
Hell it made current adult me insanely jealous.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Only halfway through building the NES, but one of my favorite things (beside the cartridge mechanism) is the AC port. It was one of those wonderful "this seems odd" moments when I was putting the rod into the 1x1 technic brick, and it wasn't till I put the other ports on that it clicked.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Jesus. The new HP diagon alley is a meter long and 5500 pieces. Didn't see the price, guessing 600? Lego accidentally posted it's specs online but took them down quickly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Scipiotik posted:

Jesus. The new HP diagon alley is a meter long and 5500 pieces. Didn't see the price, guessing 600? Lego accidentally posted it's specs online but took them down quickly.

400 USD has been the rumour / assumption for a while. Hogwarts is 400 for 6000 pieces (but with a different scale and with fewer figures) and Ninjago City was 300 for 4900 pieces so it's plausible at least.

Sounds like it'll be missing some prominent parts of the Alley too.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Oxyclean posted:

Only halfway through building the NES, but one of my favorite things (beside the cartridge mechanism) is the AC port. It was one of those wonderful "this seems odd" moments when I was putting the rod into the 1x1 technic brick, and it wasn't till I put the other ports on that it clicked.

Also the green plate peeking through around the ports looks like a circuit board

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Scipiotik posted:

Lego accidentally posted it's specs online but took them down quickly.
Found this text dump on reddit. Seems roughly translated from Japanese, but the details are there.

quote:

5544 pieces
This is a set that will delight Harry Potter fans who have recreated the most beautiful shopping district in London, "Diagon Yokocho™️". It's like a movie! Shopping street full of details
A powerful model with a width of about 1 meter is a lively shopping district with everything you need for magic. There are a lot of amazing interiors and functions in the wonderful cityscape with familiar characters! Look at the cane at the Olivander™️ store, line up with Gilderoy Lockhart's autograph session at the Florish & Blotz™️ bookstore, buy loved ones at Weasley Wizard Wees™️, After examining the equipment, let's take a look at high-class Quidditch Equipment Store™️, Florian Fortescue Ice Cream Parlor, and Nikkan Prophet Newspaper™️! An endless adventure of magic and mystery
The set of the LEGO®️ Harry Potter series is a wonderful set that includes your favorite characters, magical creatures, familiar places, etc. You can enjoy the magical world fully by reproducing the famous scenes of the movie in your room! It is also a perfect gift for birthdays and Christmas. It is a set that can reproduce the most beautiful shopping street in London, "Diagon Yokocho". Olivander™️ store, Scribbles™️ writing instrument store, luxury Quidditch equipment store™️, Florian Fortescue ice cream parlor, Florish & Brots™️ bookstore, Weasley Wizard Weases™️, Daily Prophet Newspaper™️ There are lots of famous shops that appear in movies, such as the entrance! A full range of accessories and mini-figs give endless possibilities to a "lively model", creating an endless story. Combine it with other LEGO®️ Harry Potter™️ series sets for even more fun. It is also perfect for birthday and Christmas gifts. (Target age: 16 years old or older) The size of Diagon Yokocho™️ is about 29 cm in height × 102 cm in width × 13 cm in depth. It has a lot of realistic details, is well-assembled, and you can play and enjoy the powerful display. No batteries required. Use your creativity as energy to embark on a magical adventure! Is this your first LEGO®️? Don't worry. With easy-to-understand assembly instructions, children can assemble with confidence! LEGO®️ Harry Potter™️ can be used to recreate famous movie scenes, create your own stories, and coolly display them for all ages

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 13, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I need to see pictures of that thing, 13cm deep makes it sound like an extremely long empty facade

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Butterfly Valley posted:

I need to see pictures of that thing, 13cm deep makes it sound like an extremely long empty facade
"about 1 meter wide" = ~125 studs wide. 13 cm deep = 16 studs deep. Highest point of 29cm is about 30 stacked bricks tall.

So imagine 4 16x32 plates or baseplates in a row for the footprint and you're pretty much there. Or, to visualize it:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Check out this rad Diagon Alley display. It's loving packed with details.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gto-pVghjoE

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

That knight bus made me happy. Thanks deoju.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Anias posted:

That knight bus made me happy. Thanks deoju.

I saw one of those for cheap and really wish I'd grabbed it. Love that bus

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like the idea that the UK is already so loony that in order to make a wacky wizard version of a bus, they had to add a third level.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just finishing building the Mega-Construx Banshee and Warthog, and hot drat those are both excellent builds! I’ve been making GBS threads on megablocks for so long now, and specifically avoiding the halo sets based on my experience from 20+ years ago, and that’s just not the case. The clutch is excellent, the design is excellent, I’m even a fan of the micro action figures that I thought were so derpy before.

Plus, the clutch actually matches Lego bricks now... they’ve fixed the crappy molding of yore that caused endless frustration for me. I feel like my whole world has been turned upside down... if only I’d discovered this sooner, so much regert :eng99:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just finishing building the Mega-Construx Banshee and Warthog, and hot drat those are both excellent builds! I’ve been making GBS threads on megablocks for so long now, and specifically avoiding the halo sets based on my experience from 20+ years ago, and that’s just not the case. The clutch is excellent, the design is excellent, I’m even a fan of the micro action figures that I thought were so derpy before.

Plus, the clutch actually matches Lego bricks now... they’ve fixed the crappy molding of yore that caused endless frustration for me. I feel like my whole world has been turned upside down... if only I’d discovered this sooner, so much regert :eng99:

Important: Does the Warthog have per-wheel suspension?

And is this the same Warthog model? (Seems its the Halo Infinite hog?)

Won't lie, feeling a little tempted to get with your good review, though I don't know about tainting my lego collection again....

I've kinda avoided megablocks, mostly because of word-of-mouth, but i did have like, a racetrack set I got as a kid. While the bricks kinda sucked, it still was kinda great because it came with two battery powered race car frames that were fun to do things with.

I think it was this:

e: Anyone have experience with the mega construx eeveelution pack? Always been kinda tempted to get it, but avoided it for not being lego.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 13, 2020

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

And is this the same Warthog model? (Seems its the Halo Infinite hog?)

Won't lie, feeling a little tempted to get with your good review, though I don't know about tainting my lego collection again....

I've kinda avoided megablocks, mostly because of word-of-mouth, but i did have like, a racetrack set I got as a kid. While the bricks kinda sucked, it still was kinda great because it came with two battery powered race car frames that were fun to do things with.

I think it was this:

e: Anyone have experience with the mega construx eeveelution pack? Always been kinda tempted to get it, but avoided it for not being lego.

The Infinite Hog is the new one - https://www.amazon.ca/Mega-Construx...7JH4B2FHHGETPVG
here's a video review of it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaNfmA4qxtU
and it does have independent suspension, which looks to be way nicer suspension than the old one, he compare the new one to the older ones in the video

or if you like Jang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3qFIZt9KH0

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 13, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

I had one of these. I think it was a different model, though. I remember the cars being different. This ended up with the track itself and most of the pieces being given away- I'm still finding pieces here and there integrated into old builds that I have deconstructed. Good to hear the quality has improved since then.

In unrelated news, the Diner arrived exactly one week after I ordered it on Backorder. Fedex delivered, box was immaculate and they used those air filled bags instead of packing peanuts which makes it way less messy. I see now it's 60 days for fulfillment now so I feel very fortunate for getting it when I did. Still have to build Medieval Market Village and 6986 Galactic Enforcer/Mission Commander before I can get to it, though.

One thing I find with the modulars is they are pretty much perfect sets out of the box- they require no embellishment and in fact cannot be made better than they are. I might swap out the white streetlamps on Assembly Square and the Diner for the black Xtra ones, but we'll see how it looks first.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Another anecdotal data point: Got my Barracuda Bay in today from Lego shop at home. The outer box wasn't crunched or broken, but it definitely was packed in a way that wasn't very protective of the innards and had some battle damage. Luckily, the box inside was fine, which is all that counts, but I can definitely see how these big sets can get damage. The filled balloon bags inside were barely enough.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

I have avoided megablocks though occasionally I’ve been tempted while walking by Halo Sets in store, but now I really regret that. The poor clutch and lego brick mismatch problems have been fixed—I plan on tossing the spare bricks in with the rest of my legos (after I get my collection sorted and old megablocks quarantined). I bought mine from Target, and am currently trying to hunt down older sets (though secondhand availability is bleak).

The suspension is great, it looks and feels like the vehicle in the game, and each wheel independently pops up and down. Really clever design—it passes the vroom test. Plus the figs are excellent, the proportions look much better in person.

This has me very excited for the Pelican Inbound
set coming out :shepspends:

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

One thing I find with the modulars is they are pretty much perfect sets out of the box- they require no embellishment and in fact cannot be made better than they are. I might swap out the white streetlamps on Assembly Square and the Diner for the black Xtra ones, but we'll see how it looks first.
Diner and Assembly Square - Yes. Buncha the older modulars like Green Grocer are pretty bleak inside, they feel designed for you to MOC the interior :)

Jealous on the Medieval Market! Was that a recent used buy? That and the blacksmith shop are at the top of my list to build once I sort out my collection

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 13, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Butterfly Valley posted:

13cm = 16 studs, so it's slightly deeper than the 3-in-1 buildings and the same as the opened up Haunted House. Should be plenty of room for interior detail.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

This has me very excited for the Pelican Inbound
set coming out :shepspends:
I can't help but laugh at this though:

The scorpion tank linked on the other page was pretty cool too. Hope they do another one for Infinite or something.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

13cm = 16 studs, so it's slightly deeper than the 3-in-1 buildings and the same as the opened up Haunted House. Should be plenty of room for interior detail.

Carbohydrates posted:

"about 1 meter wide" = ~125 studs wide. 13 cm deep = 16 studs deep. Highest point of 29cm is about 30 stacked bricks tall.

So imagine 4 16x32 plates or baseplates in a row for the footprint and you're pretty much there. Or, to visualize it:

Thanks both, very interested to see the finished product now you helped me visualise it a bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

Jealous on the Medieval Market! Was that a recent used buy? That and the blacksmith shop are at the top of my list to build once I sort out my collection

I got it last fall without minifigs or the cows for a decently reduced price. Unlike some of the other sets I bought around that time that ended up in the Best of the 2000s bracket, the price has stayed somewhat the same so that’s good if you were wanting to add it to your collection.