Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

The Hedwig build was fun, I will probably pick up the Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couldn't care less about Harry Potter but both of the birds are really nice. Owl is obviously better though.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

Bun stream tonight - they'll be roasting y'all's favorite sets! 7PM CST, and I'll be hosting it on my own channel as well.

I was up most of the night crying and shame-eating cookie dough, but I think I've emotionally recovered from Bun's roasting of that which I love.

For realsies that was a fun stream. Definitely a better time than assembling a treadmill.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Was the roasting recorded?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Another Ulysses MOC

https://www.stonewars.net/lego-news/ulysses-instructions/

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tempted to get something on 2xVIP: What are y'all opinions on Creator Pirate Ship vs. Razor Crest?

Current thoughts:
Razor Crest:
+ Probably better display / looks better
+ Neat Minifigs
+ Baby Yoda
- Is kind of a grey starwars blob
- Stickers

Pirate Ship:
+ Cheaper
+ Is a Pirate Ship
+ 3 builds
- Doesn't feel like it looks very nice on a shelf?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Not a fan of the brickbuilt sails, I’d probably build the inn thing and have it be part of the pirate/medieval setup I have going

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The razor crest is pretty cool, get it. You can skip most of the stickers IMO and while it’s not UCS scaled it’s still pretty good.

The creator ship looks lame. Have you considered upgrading to Barracuda Bay? :q:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Not Ulysses 31, booooo

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

The creator ship looks lame. Have you considered upgrading to Barracuda Bay? :q:

I already got it :v:

Figured maybe the pirate ship could be a companion to it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

engessa posted:

Awesome. Same for the Dutch.

Probably all Endemol shows. No idea if Lego Masters is also Endemol.

EndeMolShine-Australia so that should make it easy to broadcast here.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I already got it :v:

Figured maybe the pirate ship could be a companion to it.

I took a closer look but the brick animals are just so off putting IMO, though the skull cave build could work as a part of the Barracuda ensemble. You could also buy another barracuda and present both builds at the same time :v:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Zwille posted:

The razor crest is pretty cool, get it. You can skip most of the stickers IMO and while it’s not UCS scaled it’s still pretty good.

Seconded, the Razor Crest was a great build, and I think it's not all that far behind the ucs a wing I'm building now. There's a lot of great articulation for different displays, I think.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Finally got some Speed Champions leak content. Pity it's in potato vision but the C3 and Supra look pretty good as blurry outlines, at least. The Jesko is oddly... squat? Looking forward to higher def stuff so I can start identifying new pieces/recolors.

Design stream tonight in 30, 7 CST, more rootin' tootin' yeehaw cowboy stuff!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
No rally cars? Pass

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
After ordering some bits on bricklink, I made the Porsche Targa Turbo that I wanted to when I bought it.

Why lego didn't include the six or so pieces in the box to do this is beyond me, but I like the look.

Next on the build list is Ecto-1 and the Shuttle. I haven't had this much lego in one place in a long time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What did you change on it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The official targa version doesn't have the spoiler.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xzzy posted:

The official targa version doesn't have the spoiler.

Ftfy

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The regular Targa version doesn't have the turbo engine parts, the bigger deck lid with spoiler, and the fender flares. It's just a handful of pieces needed to make this version (a few extra black radiator grille tiles, a white 1x6 plate, a 1x6 black tile, two black macaroni tiles, two black elbow plates, and maybe a few black and white 1x2 tiles) because some of the same parts are used in each build.

It's nothing you can't really pull from spares or bricklink, but considering the set has tons of left over pieces depending on which version you build, it would have been nice to have the extra ten cents worth of duplicate parts to make either a hardtail 911 (the targa build with the turbo's roof) or the turbo targa (targa with turbo engine, flares, and decklid).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

I took a closer look but the brick animals are just so off putting IMO, though the skull cave build could work as a part of the Barracuda ensemble. You could also buy another barracuda and present both builds at the same time :v:
Funny, I've been tempted to do that with the 911 because I couldn't decide which I wanted to display. I'm kind of disappointed just how much work it is to swap between the models. I was hoping there was some part duplication to at least keep some of the bigger bits in tact like the roof or the back window segment?

kefkafloyd posted:

It's nothing you can't really pull from spares or bricklink, but considering the set has tons of left over pieces depending on which version you build, it would have been nice to have the extra ten cents worth of duplicate parts to make either a hardtail 911 (the targa build with the turbo's roof) or the turbo targa (targa with turbo engine, flares, and decklid).
Yeah, feels like a real shame they didn't design it with mixing and matching in mind like the Mustang was.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 17, 2021

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Oxyclean posted:

Funny, I've been tempted to do that with the 911 because I couldn't decide which I wanted to display. I'm kind of disappointed just how much work it is to swap between the models. I was hoping there was some part duplication to at least keep some of the bigger bits in tact like the roof or the back window segment?

The major assemblies can be swapped out without much fuss if you have a couple duplicate parts (it's something like ten duplicate parts total for the body work to keep the turbo and targa body work assembled). It's a lot less time if you decide on which axle you want to use and stick with it (as the turbo axle is wider, but rebuilding it is straightforward). Once you've built the targa roof and back window, it's a fairly quick change. I built it as the turbo initially, making a turbo targa based on that is five minutes of removing the old roof assembly, swapping a couple tiles, and installing the targa roof assembly. The other subassemblies are still intact, just stored away. But you need those duplicate parts to do that, otherwise you're either breaking down subassemblies or you simply can't do it. Like, some of the spoiler's parts are used in constructing the roll bar.

Also, what is up with that 1x2 bit of red plate showing up in the passenger footwell? They could have easily used a black plate there. By the time I realized what went on, I would have had to tear it apart to replace it and I just kind of shrugged. It has to be an intentional choice, but I have no idea what that would be referencing on a 911 with it.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 17, 2021

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, feels like a real shame they didn't design it with mixing and matching in mind like the Mustang was.

Yeah it sucks. The Mustang feels so much better, more like a fun build. The Porsche is kinda barebones feature wise. Even the beetle and bus have some fun stuff tucked away, the Porsche’s whole gimmick is steerable wheels and the conversion option which is a little convoluted without spare parts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm more annoyed the set is impossible to recolor because of that single use mold they made for it.

It's a great part, but there's almost zero chance it ever shows up in another set.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Zwille posted:

Yeah it sucks. The Mustang feels so much better, more like a fun build. The Porsche is kinda barebones feature wise. Even the beetle and bus have some fun stuff tucked away, the Porsche’s whole gimmick is steerable wheels and the conversion option which is a little convoluted without spare parts.

There's a lot of really cool build techniques on this, and all the pieces are printed—no stickers. The way the rear deck and wheel arch support comes together is a thing of beauty, and you can't even see it once the set is assembled. I wish it was any color other than white. But it looks fantastic in person once you've finished putting it together.

Also, what's up with the rear turn indicators being opaque while the front ones are trans orange?

xzzy posted:

I'm more annoyed the set is impossible to recolor because of that single use mold they made for it.

The targa version does not use this part.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oh yep, the no stickers thing rules. I gotta admit I haven’t even built the Targa version as soon as I saw you gotta reassemble it partially, maybe I should rectify that once I’m through my backlog.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

You sure? I'm talking about part 77180, the fender pieces over the rear wheels. It's there in the pictures of both builds.

But looking at the bricklink part list that set has some other new parts that are problematic. Printed pieces I can live without but part 76795 is also unique. 68568 is not a new mold but has limited color selection.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, no stickers part of the 911 is great. I think I've had a streak of builds with no stickers (Chiron, Barracuda, Assembly Square, Spring Lantern, 911, Police Station might be next) and it's nice not dealing with the things!
Well, technically the Ecto-1 was in the middle of that, but I ended up skipping all the rust stickers so it almost felt like a stickerless build.

kefkafloyd posted:

I was assuming they meant this piece, which I remember people pointing out is a totally new mold.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Oh, my mistake. I was thinking of another part that goes next to that one in the turbo build. You’re totally right.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
What an oddly specific part.

Wonder if it will see much use in general sets in the future.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Would it fit on a UCS Republic Gunship somewhere, I wonder

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m sure that the car manufacturers have some input, and maybe the Lego designers weren’t able to get close enough to the lines without a custom mold.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

new molds almost find their way into more sets. That slope looks like it could be useful in plenty of scenarios. The only ones I don't see end up in the rotation are really specialized canopies but even most of those end up seeing some use.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lego designers are creative. They wouldn't make a new part if they didn't think they could use it somewhere else. Or, more I guess they wouldn't do that now. I guess before they had a lot of single use parts and that is what got them into trouble. So they'd be more careful now about just making random parts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They talked about that piece in the reveal video, how they tried to pull it off without a new part but couldn't and their 3D printing team swooped in to save the day.

So yeah, it's a justified part. I just want it in red now, not five years from now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What are some recent-ish sets that have had new elements that havent been used a second time. Off the top of my head it's mostly UCS SW

UCS Snowspeeder windshield
Slave 1 canopy
A Wing canopy (this will almost certainly be reused though. it's just fairly new)
Affleck batmobile canopy (suprised they went this specialized with a 30 dollar set. I guess they were expecting the movie to be more popular.)

The special cone they did for the UCS Falcon has already made it's way into a bunch of sets.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The UCS Slave 1 canopy was also in the party bus set from the Lego Movie 2 line.

I remember it because of this rad palate swap moc.
https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/04/09/party-on-in-this-re-themed-slave-1/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Unless I’m looking at the wrong part, that seems like a fairly useful mould for stuff like spaceships, aircraft, Star Wars vehicles, etc. I don’t think it’s that specialized.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

The UCS Slave 1 canopy was also in the party bus set from the Lego Movie 2 line.

I remember it because of this rad palate swap moc.
https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/04/09/party-on-in-this-re-themed-slave-1/
Awesome. I kept meaning to post the Scooby Doo colour swapped Star Wars stuff i kept finding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

New shuttle is slightly larger than the 1995 one.