Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Grand Fromage posted:

New shuttle is slightly larger than the 1995 one.

Yeah I haven't had time to build my shuttle yet, but I did the Hubble Telescope last night and now I'm slightly worried about how big this thing is gonna be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Grand Fromage posted:

Wonderng how it matches up with the old creator discovery.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ika posted:

Wonderng how it matches up with the old creator discovery.

From top, 10283 Discovery, 7470 Discovery, 10213 Shuttle Adventure, 3367 Space Shuttle, 31066 Space Shuttle Explorer, 31091 Shuttle Transporter, Shuttle Endeavour from 7467 ISS.
I have the 6544 Shuttle Transcon 2 and 1682 Space Shuttle Launch, but they're unbuilt and mixed in my bulk tubs right now.

The old Hubble is incredibly janky.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grand Fromage posted:

Sure, yeah, okay, but which has the bigger HEART

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How bad were those stickers on the bay doors?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

Even the Lego store employee I talked to the other day complained about them. I was admiring it, and he chatted to me about the build, and I asked about the silver door stickers. He said they were his least favourite bit of the whole thing.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I was browsing YouTube late the other day and saw that Jang was doing a live build stream of the shuttle so thought it might be something relaxing to have on in the background. I joined the stream just as he'd placed 2/24 stickers, and although it made me very anxious I stuck with the stream for nearly an hour as he ground them out. His preferred method was with an Xacto knife, for anyone curious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

I got SO CLOSE to getting them all on properly. You can see the big one on the bottom right is wrinkled up, that was the only one I hosed up. It was very annoying, and getting the bay doors attached was also hard as hell because the middle bits didn't want to click into place. Unless something crazy is left to do (I haven't done Hubble at all yet or finished the shuttle) the bay doors as a whole are the worst part.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I didn't have much trouble with the bay stickers. I use a small pocketknife blade to get one edge of the sticker, then butt the other edge of the sticker up against the bottom edge of the door segment. Let the first 1/8" stick or so, and make sure the long edge is evenly distanced from the exterior edge of the door, then stick the rest of it down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My method is to peel back a corner of the sticker, then snip the backing with some scissors so 99% of the sticker is still covered. Then put that revealed corner where you want it, check alignment, then lift it and remove the backing.

Did it with my new mailbox to attach address numbers today. :v:

So it works great any time.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Does anyone recognize this weird hinge? I assumed it would be under 3-finger, 3-fingers, 3-fingered etc. on Bricklink but I'm striking out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are you sure it's actually lego?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Cojawfee posted:

Are you sure it's actually lego?

Yep, has the logo on the backside. Never seen anything like it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sloppy posted:

Does anyone recognize this weird hinge? I assumed it would be under 3-finger, 3-fingers, 3-fingered etc. on Bricklink but I'm striking out.

Unless I'm missing my mark that is part of a forklift.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Pyroclastic posted:

From top, 10283 Discovery, 7470 Discovery, 10213 Shuttle Adventure, 3367 Space Shuttle, 31066 Space Shuttle Explorer, 31091 Shuttle Transporter, Shuttle Endeavour from 7467 ISS.
I have the 6544 Shuttle Transcon 2 and 1682 Space Shuttle Launch, but they're unbuilt and mixed in my bulk tubs right now.

The old Hubble is incredibly janky.

Thanks!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

Hmm, still striking out. Weird.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sloppy posted:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...Hook%5D#T=C&C=5

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Amazing! Thank you!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Re. stickers: is the windex method not popular? This was my first time applying Lego stickers, so I googled around first. It works great. Bare hands for the bay doors, with tweezers for the exterior ones for max accuracy, easy peasy.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Cojawfee posted:

For another data point, I finished assembling my shuttle today. It took almost an hour to get every metallic sticker on those doors. Considering Jang is a better builder than I am, he said he took 50 minutes, so I think I did all right overall. The previously mentioned x-acto knife method is valid, but mine are in some godforsaken box somewhere. So I improvised and used a paperclip unbent to a right angle to act as a guide on the tail edge of the stickers. It's basically the same thing, except it's easier to have a paperclip in each hand. I applied the two skinny stickers before the larger one, since those ones are easier to align.

I don't recall ever putting stickers on the inside of a cylindrical lego surface before, that also added to the challenge.

Apply all the stickers before building the door assemblies. The instructions tell you to do it while assembing the bits and bobs; that is a trap that will just make your life harder.

I didn't screw any up too horribly. One is off slightly horizontally and another one has a dust spot or air bubble that isn't very noticeable. Overall, an infuriating part of an otherwise excellent build. I don't know of any other way that Lego could have done it, but I predict a lot of cursing by sticker newbies.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 18, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think any other way to do it would require having another part you lodge in there, like a chrome plastic insert, or they would have to figure out how to chrome just the inside.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Spookydonut posted:

Every part is a forklift part until a real certified forklift part shows up.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Finished my shuttle.

Yes, the stickers suck. My advice is to just do your best with the silver ones but not stress too much, the parallel lines of the pieces they're applied to will disguise any crookedness from all but a careful inspection. Instead put all your energy into getting the name plates just right.

The build itself is fantastic. If you get a kick out of the kind of set where you wondering why you're putting certain parts down only to have them pay off pages (or bags) later, then this is the one for you. The way all the angles interface, particularly the wings, is extremely satisfying. The build is rarely repetitive, there's a good variety of techniques for inversions and the landing gear mechanism is a real treat.

The choice to use a lot of olive green for the internals was greatly appreciated, it's such a soothing colour. The white bricks really only make up the outer layer of the model and the clear contrast between the olive green, blue, yellow, black and white made this one of the clearest and easy to follow builds I've ever done.

9/10

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Finished my shuttle.

Yes, the stickers suck. My advice is to just do your best with the silver ones but not stress too much, the parallel lines of the pieces they're applied to will disguise any crookedness from all but a careful inspection. Instead put all your energy into getting the name plates just right.

The build itself is fantastic. If you get a kick out of the kind of set where you wondering why you're putting certain parts down only to have them pay off pages (or bags) later, then this is the one for you. The way all the angles interface, particularly the wings, is extremely satisfying. The build is rarely repetitive, there's a good variety of techniques for inversions and the landing gear mechanism is a real treat.

The choice to use a lot of olive green for the internals was greatly appreciated, it's such a soothing colour. The white bricks really only make up the outer layer of the model and the clear contrast between the olive green, blue, yellow, black and white made this one of the clearest and easy to follow builds I've ever done.

9/10

The olive green reminded me of aircraft primer green, and seemed to be an intentional color choice for that reason.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CommanderApaul posted:

The olive green reminded me of aircraft primer green, and seemed to be an intentional color choice for that reason.

Me too. It felt very appropriate. Plus I love olive green.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Oh, I hosed up :doh:
I staggered the big stickers with the small ones. Made sense at the time since there's less room at the bottom for the small ones due to the axles. They're clearly aligned in every official picture, though, what the hell was I thinking. At least they're all equally staggered so it looks okay but, in the future, if I want a do-over, does Lego sell replacement stickers?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My friend and I just spent 50 minutes getting the UCS falcon mounted to that efferman stand. This thing may look neat but it's janky as hell and I don't understand why they left so many bits as easily removable when they don't cover any interior you can put minifigs inside. The whole thing makes me want to see if I can flip it on craigslist and get that screen-accurate Bandai model. Except there's no way I want to take this thing apart for at least a year, and there's no way I want to get into model kit building.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I use the edge of the brick separator to hold my stickers. Seems to work well enough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

davebo posted:

My friend and I just spent 50 minutes getting the UCS falcon mounted to that efferman stand. This thing may look neat but it's janky as hell and I don't understand why they left so many bits as easily removable when they don't cover any interior you can put minifigs inside. The whole thing makes me want to see if I can flip it on craigslist and get that screen-accurate Bandai model. Except there's no way I want to take this thing apart for at least a year, and there's no way I want to get into model kit building.

It's a few pins how did it take 2 people 50 minutes to install? I think I had the whole thing mounted and displayed in about 10 minutes by myself.

Building that stand sucked rear end though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also the Falcon comes apart like that for the exact thing you are complaining about. All the top parts come off easily so you don't mess it up while moving it. You just pull all of the detail bits off and you can easily move the frame around without worrying about knocking stuff off and it gives you the ability to flip it over if you need to.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

seravid posted:

Oh, I hosed up :doh:
I staggered the big stickers with the small ones. Made sense at the time since there's less room at the bottom for the small ones due to the axles. They're clearly aligned in every official picture, though, what the hell was I thinking. At least they're all equally staggered so it looks okay but, in the future, if I want a do-over, does Lego sell replacement stickers?

I screwed up the placement of some of the stickers on the Trafford Stadium and they just sent me a new sticker sheet for free

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2651#T=P

HA I WAS RIGHT OMG.

It's part of the lift mechanism from a skip bin truck.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6668-1#T=P

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

garfield hentai posted:

I screwed up the placement of some of the stickers on the Trafford Stadium and they just sent me a new sticker sheet for free

You seem to have a much better Lego service than we have here. I got my UCS A-Wing sticker badly kinked out of the box and sent them a photo of it, together with the kinked instructions.

"No UCS Sticker replacement for you!" was the answer (more or less, just with kinder words) :negative:

Well, replaced it with a third party copy, and the original, kinked one sleeps with the instructions.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
My Golden Wu’s staff was bent out of the box but I didn’t care enough to ask for another one

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LEGO Masters Australia season 3 just started. I'm about to watch the replay. I hope it's good.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
The number of ad breaks bordered on the obscene, but it was a pretty impressive first showing for each team I thought.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Would've voted for the runner ups, personally, but Brickman knows best I suppose.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
The winning build was actually my least favorite of the bunch but what do I know. I was pulling for team curse.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A list of supposed Disney+ Marvel CMFs has started circulating. I want them all if true. Spoilered just in case.

Scarlet Witch
• White Vision
• Monica Rambeau
• Captain America (Sam Wilson)
• Bucky Barnes
• Loki (with Throg)
• Lady Loki
• Captain Britain (Peggy Carter)
• Zombie Captain America
• Star-Lord (T’Challa)
• Spider-Man (Steve Rogers)
• Thanos (Gamora)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I got the Ulysses probe yesterday and built it.
I changed it up a bit to be able to use the stand for the hubble, thanks to Carbohydrates on discord for the idea.
I was actually shorted one of the 4x4 curved yellow plates (I had an extra white one) so it worked out pretty well.

I also grabbed the shuttle transporter and built the shuttle from it, that's the little guy furthest to the right.

A pre-emptive answer to a question I get a lot, the Saturn V tower is from the Overwatch Gibraltar set with some additional pieces from bricklink to build it higher