Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man, Waldurk Forest is popular? It was sold out during Lego's end of year sale, Walmart and Target had all of the Heroica games except Waldurk. Picked up Nathuz in its place, and it's still pretty awesome. Don't care about the board game aspect of it, but you get some cool pieces in there. And I love the game pieces. Micro-figs? What's the official term?

There are a few bits of Nathuz that look like micro-built places, but nothing like Waldurk and Fortran have. Even the tiny set has a few cool little pieces (the boat, the waterfall) but Nathuz is kinda lacking. It's got what I guess is a broken doorway at the start, then the big doorway at the end and that's about it. Ah well, I'll end up with them all eventually.

You get a fair amount of extras, too. Which is good, because one of the round light grey studs decided, instead of going into place, to shoot off across the room and make a perfect landing in the vent. There's no getting it back now...

Goodbye, little grey Lego stud. Godspeed. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Merchant of Death posted:

they bag built it which is crazy considering all the small parts

Whhaaaaa?? Why, why would someone do that?

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Paul Proteus posted:

The key to the roman is the spear. It is the longest thing in any of the sets and the end has a rubbery/bendable feel - also the skater girl's wheels aren't attached to the skateboard itself; they feel a lot like a tiny dumbbell.

I went 6 for 6 in my picks (Minotaur, Genie, Samnus, Bandit, Roman, Celt). The Statue of Liberty is a pain in the rear end to find - too many flamenco dancers.

Ah, thanks for the tip.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mattfl posted:

Same reason people build ships in bottles. It's a challenge, and then it looks really impressive when you're done.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Someone asked earlier in the thread about the clockwork robot's head and I didn't see a reply; the head is a single piece custom head, much like the grey alien's. It's probably about 1 x 1.5 studs in dimension and has some raised details on the sides.

How equally distributed are the minifigs in each series? In other words, are certain minifigs rarer than others?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

A post on Brothers Brick earlier today says each box has:

4x Alien
5x Highlander
3x Pajama Boy
3x Statue of Liberty
5x Bandit
4x Flamenco Dancer
3x Robot
5x Minotaur
4x Leprechaun
3x Roman
3x Surgeon
4x Skateboarder
4x Space Girl
3x Butcher
4x Mechanic
3x Genie

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

mattfl posted:

At Lego conventions, it's a popular contest, along with blind-building (you're unable to see anything but the instructions).
Whoever finishes first wins bag-building, and whoever finishes first and most accurately for blind.

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics

djfooboo posted:

The madness of building Cafe Corner via Bricklink begins!

Can you post some details about how you're doing this? I went back a few pages in the thread and didn't see anything, so apologies if it's already been posted. Is there a parts list that I can paste into Bricklink to start searching bricklink stores for pieces for this set? Also curious if you have an estimate of how much it costs you to go this route.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Great Green Auk posted:

Wow, this thread REALLY brings me back. I loved Legos as a kid (still do) and to this day still have most of my sets. I have almost the entire Hogwarts collection but my absolute favorite has to be my Aero Tube Hangar from the (sadly discontinued :() Life on Mars collection. I also have the Red Planet Protector and my brother has the mining rig. The Protector is fully assembled and lives on top of my bookcase back home. drat, I miss my Legos.

Life on Mars :3:

Oh man, that thing was so neat, even if the bulk of it was just a glorified pneumatic tube switching system. It had everything, from a robot suit to a little flyer that even docked with the station. The best part was definitely getting all the martians and their stasis pods.

I wish that those little martian arms weren't so breakable though. Especially since once either of the light green or dark green guys lose an arm, they'll have to have an arm of a different race of martian forever. :smith:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Finished building the VW bus earlier this afternoon. First set in 4 or 5 years

I'd love to see more 1000+ piece automotive themed sets in the future.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, but the new way of using a loosely connected plate sucks. I liked the old hinges a lot more. I'm trying to think of a way to express how it made me feel as a child, but a hinged roof was really awesome, and I would always go out of my way to make sure my vehicles had one. If you had to break off a piece to put the guy inside, it was decidedly lame.

Can't agree with this sentiment enough. I understand the tear-off roof, and the open-back buildings, but the old way was way more exciting, to me.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

neckbeard posted:

Finished building the VW bus earlier this afternoon. First set in 4 or 5 years

I'd love to see more 1000+ piece automotive themed sets in the future.

This reminds me: I built the VW, loved it, until the very end. Raising and lowering the pop-up roof bit makes it detach something like 100% of the time, and putting it back together means rebuilding a handful of bits to get it seated well, and then again it only stays until you try to lift it again.

Right now it's in the down position, but just sitting there, not really seated. Left a bitter taste in my mouth about the entire build.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

This reminds me: I built the VW, loved it, until the very end. Raising and lowering the pop-up roof bit makes it detach something like 100% of the time, and putting it back together means rebuilding a handful of bits to get it seated well, and then again it only stays until you try to lift it again.

Right now it's in the down position, but just sitting there, not really seated. Left a bitter taste in my mouth about the entire build.

Mine works great. When it's on my desk I'm constantly popping it up and down with no problems.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

oneof27 posted:

My exact thoughts. I need that set, but I don't $80 need it.

Almost 1400 pieces though, so not too bad considering that.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I made a visual reference since Brinklink isn't the most user-friendly.

First find the set you want to recreate and click on catalog entry. That will bring you to this:

Enter how much you want this set to be complete here.

Shin-chan posted:

After following your directions and fooling around a bit, I found you can just go to "Wanted" on the main bar, then "By Shop" on the next bar, then check the box for the wish list you want to use and hit go and you'll get the store list for all your parts.

Be careful not to pick the first one you see that has a lot of the pieces you need. They may be more expensive than others. Try and look at the more pricier, rare colors and see how they look compared to other sellers.

I honestly have no clue how much this will cost in the end, but I'm estimating 200-230 USD which is well south of the 700+ USD people are asking on the secondary market. Keep in mind I am not buying minifigs or instructions.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 16, 2012

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics

djfooboo posted:

I made a visual reference since Brinklink isn't the most user-friendly.

<awesome instructions>

This is fantastic, thank you for posting it! I have used Bricklink before to order parts for stuff I'd built in LDD and then exported into an XML format, but had no idea they had this option.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I was a big fan of LEGO when I was a kid, but I hadn't really thought of them for a while. I started a job a while back at a local Babies R Us, and while stocking some product, on one of our shelves, I saw the little baggies for the Series 4 minifigures, and as soon as I saw the little LEGO punk rocker, I knew I had to have one. Several, even. Just as idle room decoration.

Since then, whenever I had a few spare bucks, I'd buy one. Today I purchased the last one that will ever be on that shelf. Total haul: Two hazmat guys, a sailor, an artist, a werewolf, and a surfer chick.

Of course, it didn't occur to me that I could just order the figure I wanted specifically, but now that I see there's a whole group of lego fans here, I was somewhat curious if anyone would be interested in a trade, any of the figures listed above (or any combination of them or, really, even just the whole of them) in exchange for one of the punk rocker minifigures.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

djfooboo posted:

Excellent directions.

Your way only queries what's on the current page. After following your directions and fooling around a bit, I found you can just go to "Wanted" on the main bar, then "By Shop" on the next bar, then check the box for the wish list you want to use and hit go and you'll get the store list for all your parts.

And he is right, pay attention. One shop I just looked at wanted 25¢ for a black 2x2 brick that another shop sells for 6¢.

Also pay attention to shops that list the same part like 3-6 times with different prices. This is driving me up a wall as you can't just add the minimum to the cart to find out what the price will be, unless I need to mess with more settings.

I wish I could go to a website and find out what bricks my Lego store has on the Pick-a-Brick wall.

Mog
Nov 23, 2006

Pillbug

Shin-chan posted:

I wish I could go to a website and find out what bricks my Lego store has on the Pick-a-Brick wall.

http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/

Not entirely up to date but far better than nothing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Also make sure you look at alternate colors and parts for your set. Do you really need that door for 30 dollars when you can get one for 50 cents?

Know when pieces have a hollow stud and solid stud version and see which is cheapest.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

djfooboo posted:

Also make sure you look at alternate colors and parts for your set. Do you really need that door for 30 dollars when you can get one for 50 cents?

Know when pieces have a hollow stud and solid stud version and see which is cheapest.

Wow, those sellers really know how to zero in on the rare pieces. Only 5 sets with that door, none made within 4 years, and even the Krusty Krab set is generally priced $40+ on ebay.
I just spent a little while playing around with it, and buying one of these modulars piece-by-piece on BL is going to require a whole shitload of work if you want to get the best pricing (12 cents for a 1x1 mdstone tile? I can get them from shop.lego.com for 8 cents apiece!).

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

New Heroica rule: Rolling two circles in a row causes the Mobile Rocket Launcher to nuke the board, destroying everything in a 3x3 square anywhere you like.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Pyroclastic posted:

Wow, those sellers really know how to zero in on the rare pieces. Only 5 sets with that door, none made within 4 years, and even the Krusty Krab set is generally priced $40+ on ebay.
Oh holy gently caress. One of the sets that is in the massive bin of stuff I bought off that lady on Craigslist is the The Krusty Krab. I don't think the whole thing is complete, and I'm not going to bother screwing around with it if the doors alone are worth that much. ...if I can find them.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

einTier posted:

Oh holy gently caress. One of the sets that is in the massive bin of stuff I bought off that lady on Craigslist is the The Krusty Krab. I don't think the whole thing is complete, and I'm not going to bother screwing around with it if the doors alone are worth that much. ...if I can find them.

Judging from the Price Guide on bricklink, it looks like sellers are deliberately buying them up to increase the price. They averaged under $2 used as recently as August. The early run modulars are in high demand now and that's probably the rarest piece any of them have used.
Amusingly, the mirror of that door is just about as rare, but it's not used in Cafe Corner (but it is in Market Street, along with its mate). Its average BL price is about $1.

I don't see any other particularly rare parts in either Market Street or Cafe Corner.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I picked up all the average size sets that were 50% off at my local target. I got the transforming Atlantis set, the Spinx one, the Star Wars Advent Calender, and the Cars one with lightning McQueen in a trailer. All told I'm out 80Bux. I would have never bought any of these sets at full price, but at 50% off I was 'suaded.

My reviews.

The Atlantis transforming one:
I skipped making the shark, because really I bought it for the robot. I had both the Spyrius robots as a kid and still think the big one is the most fun Lego set with which I ever played.(I had the Ice Planet big one where you could switch around the cockpits, and most of space police I where they had the cells you could swap around inbetween sets, It's just a shame they had all the same looking badguys... anyway I'm rambling) I'm a fan of giant lego robots. This one is pretty drat awesome. It has the same wheels from the old blacktron/ice planet/magnetron sets(bit o nostalgia) and some new pieces that make so much sense to exist 1x1 slanted! Brilliant! Anyway, The articulation on this beast is sweet. I posed it a dozen ways and am now thinking of getting the Lex Luthor set just for the robot. I will hate myself for buying a Superman set over a Batman set, but gently caress! Giant robot for the win.

Next was the Spinx set. I was just going to build the car before moving on to the Advent calender because I was pressed for time. I bought it mainly because the car looked cool and thought "hey, who couldn't use more earthy coloured bricks?" However I decided to throw an episode of Sherlock on and give the Spinx a go. It was WAY more awesome than the box indicated.
It looks great battling the Atlantis robot and even my 'sponsible adult friends thought the dinomite blowing up the wall was pretty cool. It was a nice throwback to the older castle sets with passages and secrets and things. I'm gonna stop by the Targets in the area tomorrow to see if they still have the Pyrimid. I didn't buy it for the price, but the Spinx convinced me. I do plan on making it more solid and more break out of the mountain-esk eventually. (why are there no MOC of the Spyrius robots reimagined?)

Star Wars Advent Calender:
Way more awesome than I expected. I bought it for the Santa Yoda. I thought "Oh, I'll build everything, then have a bunch of pieces... but it turns out I'll have a poo poo TON of random little pieces. The designs for the mini ships were pretty inspired and I was was surprised to see so much SNOT and interesting design techniques on official lego products. Also if you're looking at arming a bunch of MiniFigs, you get a dozen(not exaggerating) light saber handles, a couple guns and a couple tools and a couple binoculars. I'll be buying next years advent calendar early and using it as an advent calendar.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

djfooboo posted:

Bricklink :words:

Is there any way to tell the quantities of each piece needed after you add them to your wanted list? And is your list updated as you purchase each component of the set?

Echoing the thanks for the walkthrough by the way. As someone who has barely glanced at it in the past the site is a nightmare to navigate.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Alris posted:

Is there any way to tell the quantities of each piece needed after you add them to your wanted list? And is your list updated as you purchase each component of the set?

Echoing the thanks for the walkthrough by the way. As someone who has barely glanced at it in the past the site is a nightmare to navigate.

On the main screen, click "Wanted," "My Wanted List" on the new menu, then "Edit Only" on the left side. It'll bring up a list of the parts on your lists with boxes to change the quantities.

Edit: Whoops, I think I need to go to bed. I thought you wanted to change the quantities...

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 16, 2012

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Alris posted:

Is there any way to tell the quantities of each piece needed after you add them to your wanted list?
The quantity is clearly listed when you click on a store. What I do is auto fill my cart then go into the cart and remove duplicates like where there was both a new condition and a used condition of the same piece.

Alris posted:

And is your list updated as you purchase each component of the set?
Unfortunately your wishlist needs to be updated manually as far as I have been able to tell. Luckily it isn't too hard if you are well organized. I just took my order sheet and sorted by part type, then went down deleting what I received off my wishlist.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Travis343 posted:

Same reason people build ships in bottles. It's a challenge, and then it looks really impressive when you're done.

The next logical step from the bag build...

via: http://lovebrickbybrick.com/?paged=3

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

beato posted:

The next logical step from the bag build...

via: http://lovebrickbybrick.com/?paged=3

Oh god, the heart-bottle is really cute. There's a Valentine's idea for all you folks with the Lego-tolerant spouses.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

After hitting my local Fred Meyer and them having 12 cases of series 6, I've walked away with: Grey, Statue of Liberty, Lepperchaun, Braveheart, Surgeon, and Roman Legionnaire x3. I cannot feel for poo poo apparently, as I thought that I had a Minotaur and Samus both times I got repeat Legionnaires. Anyone have a dot code for the US versions? The UK bag dot code didn't do me any good.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

John Carstairs posted:

Oh god, the heart-bottle is really cute. There's a Valentine's idea for all you folks with the Lego-tolerant spouses.

I bought the valentines heart kit from the Lego store a few years ago. I built it first and wrote "You complete me" on it then took it apart, gift wrapped the pieces, and gave it to my girlfriend so when she'd completed the build the message would be displayed.

Good job she likes puns and Lego.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

The Rage posted:

After hitting my local Fred Meyer and them having 12 cases of series 6, I've walked away with: Grey, Statue of Liberty, Lepperchaun, Braveheart, Surgeon, and Roman Legionnaire x3. I cannot feel for poo poo apparently, as I thought that I had a Minotaur and Samus both times I got repeat Legionnaires. Anyone have a dot code for the US versions? The UK bag dot code didn't do me any good.

The hell man? If you don't mind waiting a bit I'd be glad to get some minotaurs to trade for your romans. Seriously, massive piece for a head, really easy to pick out. For Samus, Edit: vvv Those guys have better advice for her vvvv

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 16, 2012

mania
Sep 9, 2004

The Rage posted:

Is Samus the Intergalatic Gal? Her helmet's visor isn't attached in the bag, so there's a visor shaped hole in the helmet to feel out.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Can the bricklink guide be added to the OP? That is really helpful and I'd hate for it to get lost in the expanse of pages.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

mania posted:

Is Samus the Intergalatic Gal? Her helmet's visor isn't attached in the bag, so there's a visor shaped hole in the helmet to feel out.

I've also heard to just feel out the visor itself, since it is a unique piece in this series.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

djfooboo posted:

The quantity is clearly listed when you click on a store. What I do is auto fill my cart then go into the cart and remove duplicates like where there was both a new condition and a used condition of the same piece.

Unfortunately your wishlist needs to be updated manually as far as I have been able to tell. Luckily it isn't too hard if you are well organized. I just took my order sheet and sorted by part type, then went down deleting what I received off my wishlist.

I don't think I'm doing something right. Here's what I'm trying.

Found set 8458. Added it to my wanted list.

So now I click on By Shop and choose my Technic wanted list that I added set 8458 to.

It found 1795 stores.

So I click on one of the stores, say on that has 107 lots. So now it shows 108 lots, all misc parts are listed.

So how do I add only the parts I need for that specific set to my cart to buy?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

mattfl posted:

I don't think I'm doing something right. Here's what I'm trying.

Found set 8458. Added it to my wanted list.

So now I click on By Shop and choose my Technic wanted list that I added set 8458 to.

It found 1795 stores.

So I click on one of the stores, say on that has 107 lots. So now it shows 108 lots, all misc parts are listed.

So how do I add only the parts I need for that specific set to my cart to buy?
Did you already have items in your wanted list? You really need to create a separate list just for 8458 parts. There's approximately 156 separate items in the Silver Champion. Someone has 150 of the items.

Now, if you're in the store buying all the little bits, the only way to get them all is to go through each page manually and get what you need. Yes, it sucks. It sucks more because you'll find used and new parts and have to be careful.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

einTier posted:

Did you already have items in your wanted list? You really need to create a separate list just for 8458 parts. There's approximately 156 separate items in the Silver Champion. Someone has 150 of the items.

Now, if you're in the store buying all the little bits, the only way to get them all is to go through each page manually and get what you need. Yes, it sucks. It sucks more because you'll find used and new parts and have to be careful.

Ok I think I figured out what I did wrong. I forgot to hit the little checkbox for

Set My Minimum Desired Qty for each Item to Qty of Items in Inventory

Which then added the # of each specific part I need for the set to my list and then when I found a store I was able to hit fill cart with min quantity.

edit:

wow does this stuff add up fast lol. I added the Technic Space shuttle set, found a seller and my cart was upwards of $350 for all the parts. Started looking around and found some of the more pricier parts from other people and brought the cost down to around $250, which is still a lot cheaper than what the whole set sells for.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm surprised it makes financial sense for someone to sell an order of 150+ separate parts from an inventory of thousands, for a quarter or so each. You'd think inventory management and the picking times would make it an under minimum wage job.